“Cheapie. Good value for the price” 3 of 5 stars

WAVE Hotel & Cafe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Breedestraat 100-102 | Otrobanda, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Ranked #18 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Cheapie. Good value for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Good value for the price, but nothing too exciting about it. It is clean. Great location! In the center of Otrobanda. They do not have regular cleaning room service all the time. They give blue towels that are ripped. The room is small feels like an European hostel.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed there for 3 weeks. The was super helpful the manager was also great and very accommodating. Great location close to every thing. Local bus close by very inexpensive way to see the island. Rooms were very clean. Staff attended to any needs we had. The maintenance person was very accommodating also. Great place to stay for long or short time. Highly recommend when Curacao will stay there again.

Stayed January 2013
netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Just stayed here one night. It is different, clearly an individual hotel rather than some chain. So if you do not want to spend tons of money and can handle a laid back atmosphere, I can recommend this place.

Pros:
* very attentive staff
* nice big and very clean rooms
* good bathroom
* good a/c
* conveniently located on walking distance from centre
Cons:
* surroundings looks a bit dodgy at first glance (remnants from Pelikaan days)
* no breakfast on sunday (but that was charmingly solved!)

There appeared to be no breakfast on Sunday but I booked for the night of Saturday with a prepaid breakfast for Sunday morning! Luckily, the very friendly staff solved this by opening the small café especially for us. Now that is the personal service that makes people come back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sint Nicolaas, null, Aruba
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed in room 40 and we found a cockroach size of 4inch huge! horrendous and thats not it we call the front office and the security/nightuditor reply to me is noting i can do for you well thats not it it was 2:23am i was starving so we went outside to grab something to eat and the security was littererly was playing with us he was closed and open the gate door !! how disrespectful and mean and also in the bathroom have meldew on the tiles like seriously no housekeeping in that hotel??? and have one off the staff was extremely rude i ask for her manager name and she was like why u need her name??? i was like don't question a paying quest and offcours don't be giving attitude to a guest found cockroach in the room and meldew bathroom tiles and been devastating by the rudeness of the staff i'll mention the names who tried to make my vacation worth it is ROSE MARIE and a clearskin curly hair she is sweetheart
and the male supervisor is awesome !! nice people but i will not give suggestion to stay in that hotel stay in other hotel not in the cockroach nest!!!

....................Regards room 40

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cali, Colombia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

New owners are renovating the old Pelican hotel. The new building is very nice, the rooms are very modern, tad small, but still very nice. Good AC and flat screen tv. The secure box is too small for a normal laptop, it is more for ipads and documents. Service is really nice and well the location is great is like a block away from downtown Willemstad where is all the fun. I also used the drop off at the airport service, very convinient and cheap (USD$10 per person) if you compare them to the local taxis. All in all a very good hotel for a low budget. My only complain was the shower, seems everything was renovated BUT the shower, it didn´t even had a door...but it might have been my room and my luck because in general they seem very detailed in everything else. I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new/renwed building!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I settled on the Wave since I wanted to be able to walk around the main downtown of Willemstad. Upon arriving at the hotel, I started to have second thoughts about staying here since it shared the property with a really run-down hotel called the Pelikaan. I started to uncomfortably remember my cab driver's warning about not wandering around the surrounding residential area at night. I even told them at Reception that I might shorten my stay.

My spirits brightened when I saw the my room (#62). It was very fresh and clean looking with a nice flat screen TV. There is key card access to not only the room but also the entry door of the hallway. Basically, the owners are transforming the bare bones Pelikaan into the budget chic Wave, gradually. This is a very sound concept given the affordable $90.95 per night price in high season. I stayed here my entire 7 nights

At the moment, I would recommend this hotel for an independent traveler or couple on a budget looking for a central location. I would not recommend for a solo woman since the walk to and from the town is a little unsavory looking, especially at night. In that case, I would recommend the Howard Johnsons around the corner and on the main square. Also, you can never tell who is the bellman/ security person at night due since they don't often wear a uniform (there always seemed to be a mixed bag of people hanging out near the casino entrance). Overall, I was never menaced or harassed by anyone, day or night; it's more a matter that its a rough-around-the-edges looking neighborhood.

Unique Qualities: The rooms are the best part of this hotel. Mine was clean, fresh and free of any mosquitoes (a small luxury that my friend at the Kura Hulunda Hotel, which is across the street, didn't enjoy. There is a very useful safe as well as an excellent flat screen TV that had BBC News and other international channels, including NOS Dutch broadcasting service. The free WiFi worked very well during my entire stay as did the excellent air conditioning. There was no closet other than a few wall hangers but there is plenty of drawer space. Strangely, the bathrooms are not as immaculate as the rooms (I was informed they are renovating those, too). The water pressure was fine and I had enough hot water. There was one Sunday when they forgot? about cleaning my room but no big deal. There are plans to have a small pool which is a good idea. Walls are a bit thin but I only noticed on the weekends when the crowd was a bit livelier. The hotel's casino is on the downmarket side so not worth a visit.

It wasn't until my last day that I even knew there was a funky, little hotel cafe, located on the Breedestraat side.

The best person at the Front Desk desk is Supervisor Rosely Dalnoot. She was very responsive to my requests and concerns and very professional. She is closely watching her staff, some of whom are in hotel training. My wake-up call on the day of my flight came on time as did the airport taxi. There is NO airport pickup and drop off is only available at certain peak times.

The Manager, Liselotte Bos, is an experienced hotel professional and very hands-on with repositioning this property. It will just take some time.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

We tried to book this hotel online but did not receive any response. Since it was Christmas we assumed they were full and booked another hotel. Then we saw the charges on our credit card (double the amount we had even requested) from Wave Hotel. When we spoke to the manager they tried to say it was our fault and they would not reverse the charges. We told them we would report it to Visa as fraud and they finally refunded the charge. We were in Curaçao for one night and spent most of the time walking back and forth between hotels and arguing with the manager. An unpleasant experience!!

Stayed December 2012

Been to WAVE Hotel & Cafe? Share your experiences!