“Great renovation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Cali, Colombia
“Great renovation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

New owners are renovating the old Pelican hotel. The new building is very nice, the rooms are very modern, tad small, but still very nice. Good AC and flat screen tv. The secure box is too small for a normal laptop, it is more for ipads and documents. Service is really nice and well the location is great is like a block away from downtown Willemstad where is all the fun. I also used the drop off at the airport service, very convinient and cheap (USD$10 per person) if you compare them to the local taxis. All in all a very good hotel for a low budget. My only complain was the shower, seems everything was renovated BUT the shower, it didn´t even had a door...but it might have been my room and my luck because in general they seem very detailed in everything else. I would recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the new/renwed building!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank gorocreep

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I settled on the Wave since I wanted to be able to walk around the main downtown of Willemstad. Upon arriving at the hotel, I started to have second thoughts about staying here since it shared the property with a really run-down hotel called the Pelikaan. I started to uncomfortably remember my cab driver's warning about not wandering around the surrounding residential area at night. I even told them at Reception that I might shorten my stay.

My spirits brightened when I saw the my room (#62). It was very fresh and clean looking with a nice flat screen TV. There is key card access to not only the room but also the entry door of the hallway. Basically, the owners are transforming the bare bones Pelikaan into the budget chic Wave, gradually. This is a very sound concept given the affordable $90.95 per night price in high season. I stayed here my entire 7 nights

At the moment, I would recommend this hotel for an independent traveler or couple on a budget looking for a central location. I would not recommend for a solo woman since the walk to and from the town is a little unsavory looking, especially at night. In that case, I would recommend the Howard Johnsons around the corner and on the main square. Also, you can never tell who is the bellman/ security person at night due since they don't often wear a uniform (there always seemed to be a mixed bag of people hanging out near the casino entrance). Overall, I was never menaced or harassed by anyone, day or night; it's more a matter that its a rough-around-the-edges looking neighborhood.

Unique Qualities: The rooms are the best part of this hotel. Mine was clean, fresh and free of any mosquitoes (a small luxury that my friend at the Kura Hulunda Hotel, which is across the street, didn't enjoy. There is a very useful safe as well as an excellent flat screen TV that had BBC News and other international channels, including NOS Dutch broadcasting service. The free WiFi worked very well during my entire stay as did the excellent air conditioning. There was no closet other than a few wall hangers but there is plenty of drawer space. Strangely, the bathrooms are not as immaculate as the rooms (I was informed they are renovating those, too). The water pressure was fine and I had enough hot water. There was one Sunday when they forgot? about cleaning my room but no big deal. There are plans to have a small pool which is a good idea. Walls are a bit thin but I only noticed on the weekends when the crowd was a bit livelier. The hotel's casino is on the downmarket side so not worth a visit.

It wasn't until my last day that I even knew there was a funky, little hotel cafe, located on the Breedestraat side.

The best person at the Front Desk desk is Supervisor Rosely Dalnoot. She was very responsive to my requests and concerns and very professional. She is closely watching her staff, some of whom are in hotel training. My wake-up call on the day of my flight came on time as did the airport taxi. There is NO airport pickup and drop off is only available at certain peak times.

The Manager, Liselotte Bos, is an experienced hotel professional and very hands-on with repositioning this property. It will just take some time.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet side of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Steedappeal
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We tried to book this hotel online but did not receive any response. Since it was Christmas we assumed they were full and booked another hotel. Then we saw the charges on our credit card (double the amount we had even requested) from Wave Hotel. When we spoke to the manager they tried to say it was our fault and they would not reverse the charges. We told them we would report it to Visa as fraud and they finally refunded the charge. We were in Curaçao for one night and spent most of the time walking back and forth between hotels and arguing with the manager. An unpleasant experience!!

Stayed December 2012
1 Thank canada-ahoy

Travelers are raving about these Willemstad hotels

Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed in a large new (or renewed) room with a little balcony facing the hotel reception and parking lot. Bed was comfortable and A/C was very nice. The breakfast is available in four different combo options and is served in a very simple cafeteria across the reception. Wi-fi didn't work the first day of our stay, but the others worked fine. The hotel has also a convenient transfer to the airport for USD10.00, considering taxis are difficult to take and more expensive. Maybe the transfer can be previously arranged to take you at the airport, but we didn't. Hotel crew is nice an welcoming.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank aalib
Memphis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I visited Willemstad in late December 2012, and wanted to stay with a locally owned hotel close to Anna Bay and the historic part of town (Otrabunda).

The Wave Hotel apparently is new because few locals I encountered knew where it was located. Once I found it, it was indeed quite close to the Anna Bay waterfront but was definitely on the "economy" side of the hotel spectrum.

The front reception staff is pleasant but not very attentive and even less organized. Once check in was completed, be advised the rooms are in an adjoining building that has all the appearances of a dormitory.

The building entryway door is gray steel with wire reinforced glass. The reception clerk summons the security guy upon your arrival to escort you (all 70 feet) from reception area to the hotel building entryway. From then on, the room key card must be used to open it.

Clean, brightly painted concrete is the decor awaiting you in the dorm...err..hotel hallways and indeed the rooms. There seems to be an aversion to carpeting, tile or even wall paper in this place.

The rooms are dormitory style, and quite spartan. To be fair, the rooms feature a flat screen television, in room safe and the air conditioner is superb.

Be advised there is a strict prohibition to smoking in this place. I was rudely awakened multiple times over the course of a few days by a loud alarm (fire alarm?) that was set off by other guests who'd attempted to light up a smoke in their room.

The pros of the Wave Hotel:
* Very budget friendly
* Clean room with good air conditioning and flat screen television
* In room safe was operational
* Parking was sufficient and secure (gates close at about 1am)

The cons:
* Hotel = dormitory room
* Breakfast is mentioned in the brochures and at check in. What they don't tell you is that it is not free, and extremely limited. "tickets" for what ever you decide to order must be purchased at the front desk. A strange and aggravating experience.
* The walls are thin so you hear noises from the hallway and adjoining rooms...and...New Years firecrackers and noisemakers being set off in the parking lot.
* Staff is friendly but inattentive and a bit clueless

I cannot say I would return for another stay. There are better options for "going local" and/or staying close to Anna Bay waterfront.

Room Tip: To reduce noise, try to get a corner room so you have to share only one wall.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CaptainBly
Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Nice and clean. Good AC. Nice tv and comfortable bed. Good distance to the maincenter, just a couple of hundred meters to the famous moving bridge. Nice staff, though a little confused from time to time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Martina L
Brampton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I stayed for one evening in April 2012 before my flight to Aruba for a business trip. I was pleasantly surpised that the rooms were very clean and the bed was decent , Flat screen TV and AC was adequate, although AC was was not running upon my arrival it cooled down quickly.

I would have given this room a 4 or 5 star especially for the price, if not for the fact there was no hot water at all NONE, actually it was almost cold I ran it for several minutes and no change. I could not even stand to take a shower, it was that cold.

Too bad, otherwise a decent hotel for one or two nights maximum.

Room Tip: Make sure Hot Water is working before accepting a room..I only Selcted terrible for swimming pool or...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business