We really enjoyed our stay here. The staff is beyond helpful and friendly. Kelly was amazing. Arrangements were made to be picked up at the airport at 730pm and to be taken back to the airport at 430am and both drivers were right on time! All of the dive guys are friendly and knowledgeable. Antoine is especially passionate about the ocean environment and the history of the area.
We stayed in one of the apartments and were very happy with the accommodations. Some observations;
* We stayed in the "middle blue" apartment. We had booked the green apartment and were offered to switch but one of the bedrooms was on an upper level (see stairs note below) so we stayed where we were. Perfect ocean view, one short trip down the stairs from our balcony patio to the pool and restaurant. We watched the various ships pass, some dolphins and at times divers off the shore line. We actually spent most of our time sitting on the deck when we weren't out by the pool or diving. Very relaxing.
* The front staircase to our apartment, which we only used coming in, was narrow and winding. Our large suitcase was difficult to maneuver.
* The week we were there, the place was very quiet and I get the impression it is most of the time. There is no loud night bar scene which was good for us.
* ONLY the 2 bedroom suites were air conditioned. Beds were comfortable and there was plenty of closet space to put clothing in.
* There is NO cream rinse. Only body wash. Bring or buy shampoo and creme rinse.
* We had a traveling companion with us who is used to 5 star US hotels. This is not that type of hotel. It is very comfortable and you feel like everyone is a family but it is not "plush."
* The kitchen has everything you need to cook with but we never did. You must ask the front desk for the coffee "cups" to put in the coffee maker. There are none in the room.
* The Thursday night BBQ...more meat than you can possibly eat but all was delicious. The "pitmaster" chef was there cooking shrimp on a stick, then chicken, then beef tenderloin, then hamburgers! We were stuffed!
*Drinks and food at the restaurant were reasonably priced. The menu is a bit limited but one day the chef made something special for us at lunch as a HUGE grouper had been the catch of the day (we saw them bring it in) the previous night. So he fixed up a grouper sandwich with truffle oil and some other toppings. Nice treat! The breakfast basket is definitely European style breakfast with rolls, cheese, fruit, yogurt,thinly sliced meats. The fresh squeezed OJ was fabulous!!
* Location is great if you want to be near the city, which is what we wanted. There is security outside the hotel every night, all night. This appeared to be common as anytime we were out at night, all of the good restaurants and hotels had security on the street watching everyone that was out walking. It was a little disconcerting but normal. There is broken glass everywhere on the sidewalks which is sad that there doesn't seem to be any pride in the country.
* Most everyone speaks English or will try if you don't speak the language. US money is also readily accepted.
*Yes, I would recommend
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Scubalodge is the premier ocean front boutique hotel in Curacao. Made of in total 5 monumental buildings, every room and apartment are different! And so is the staff! With a very relaxed and personal atmosphere guests are like staying with friends! Relax in one of the two swimming pools, in the ocean in our house riff and enjoy a cocktail at the Ocean Bar. Scubalodge has a PADI Dive School and shop and the well known breakfast basket and weekly barbecue! Laid in the "quartier Latin" of Curacao, many restaurants and bars are walking distance, as is the city centre, the cruise terminal and all musea and shopping center. Explore the real Curacao in Otrabanda, the "pontjes brug" and the fruit and local market. Or take your rental car and explore the Island and all of its 70 beaches!!! Scubalodge, welcome! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Scuba Lodge & Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Scuba Lodge And Suites
- The Scuba Hotel Willemstad
- Scuba Lodge & Suites Curacao/Willemstad