My husband and I went to the Baoase for our honeymoon. I never review places, but in this case I feel a need to inform my fellow travelers...so here is what we experienced on our honeymoon in Curacao at the Baoase:
- the resort is very pretty, but it is also VERY small. You can sit down at the restaurant or on the man made beach and see the entire premise of the resort. If you like to adventure or walk around you will be very bored...
- if you don't get a rental car expect to pay a RIDICULOUS amount of money for a "taxi" which is really someone from the resort in the resort car driving you where you want to go. We have a bad experience with this as we were shocked to find out we were charged $30 dollars for someone from the resort to drive us 5 minutes down the road. (Literally 5 minutes)
* We booked a dolphin tour through the hotel, and were not told we had to pay at the dolphin place (which we also werent told we had to find our own way there, it was not walkable nor did they offer any type of shuttle or ride there) After having to take their "taxi" at $30 to the dolphin place we then realized we had to pay at the location -- we had booked everything through the hotel and everything else during the trip was charged to the room, so knowing we were going to be in the water we didnt bring our wallets/purse. We then had to call the resort and they charged us another $30 for someone from the resort to drive the 5 minutes down the road to pay... When you are paying thousands of dollars to stay at a luxury resort, I would not expect to be nickel and dimed like this ( this is really about the principal and the way guests are treated and not the extra $60). When we brought it up to management that they charged us $60 in "taxi" trips that totalled probably 15 minutes in the car, they said they would NOT take any charges off.
- there is nothing around the resort to walk to or adventure out to. The area around the resort is really run down and you do not go walking around at night.
- get a rental car - if you have a rental car you can drive to some of the other beaches, resorts or the main towns nearby, you can snorkel, go out to some local restaurants, etc.
- the general pool is really not a pool for lounging around. You go in or out, and its in a shaded area.
- Curacao is a desert island, so if you are expecting tropical and lush, you shall be quite unhappy.
- DOGS barking. For two nights we couldnt sleep due to the areas local dogs barking all night long. Even with all our windows shut and ear plugs in we had a hard time sleeping.
- the hot water in the shower lasted about 15 minutes MAX
- the mini bar fridge only opened after scraping across the wood shelf it was located inside of.
- dinner service very slow - we had a 3 hour dinner one night (not by choice), and decided to eat in our room after that so we could eat and then go enjoy the rest of our evening
- took four days for the resort cleaners to clean one of my husbands shirts
- the food was delicious at the resort as well as the drinks (but all are very expensive)
- the beach butlers, especially Thom, were great.
- the breakfast staff was always very quick and friendly
- the beach chairs/cabanas are very nice and the cusions are perfect for relaxing!
Overall we wouldn't go back and don't think it was up to the 5 star standard. Additonally when you are paying such a high premium for a "luxury resort" you dont expect to be nickel and dimed. The area around the resort is also one of the biggest concerns/let downs.