At first impressions this hotel was fantastic. We stayed in an ocean view suite which had a private jacuzzi which was fantastic. The room was great too, had just enough space and the nice deck with the jacuzzi.
As has been noted in other reviews we thought the breakfast was excellent with a good selection of breads and all the normal dishes you'd expect. The beach is nice and quiet - it is small but there are only 15 rooms so doesn't need to be bigger. There are loads of sun loungers and a "sunset lounge" which was a nice touch. You can also use the snorkels and kayaks (for free).
Staff were generally very friendly and would try to help out whenever they could.
However we did have a few nagging issues with the hotel which we felt would not occur in most other 5 star hotels:
1) we arrived at 1am and would not expect there to be people there to welcome us (apart from security) but no one really made an effort to show us around or introduce themselves to us until we went into reception or spoke to people to ask.
2) halfway through our 7 day stay we were told by reception we "had to pay the balance of our stay immediately" - this made it feel like the staff thought we might leave without paying - whereas most hotels I've been to you would pay at checkout.
3) service in the restaurant was incredibly slow - for both breakfast and dinner on numerous occasions.
4) the car hire company (Boric) used by the hotel were terrible - they dropped the car off without giving us the opportunity to inspect and sign anything then tried to charge the wrong price and the attitude of the representative was poor.
5) too many little errors occurred with various things at reception e.g. couples massage wasn't booked properly so we couldn't have ours together but the hotel did give us complimentary ones which was very nice of them. We also had a case where I asked them to enquire about the swimming with dolphins but they didn't enquire they booked it straight up ($340) and said we couldn't change it else we would have to pay. The swimming with dolphins is well worth doing.
There are many great restaurants within 2.5km of the hotel like the Wine Cellar, Fishalicious and Brasserie Nano which are well worth trying. Everyone said it was unsafe to walk at night but we had no issues at all. Taxis are apparently $17-19 each way.
Overall the hotel was great, but a few things which could be improved to make it a truly 5 star experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled amidst tropical gardens on the pristine waters of the Caribbean Sea, Baoase Luxury Resort in Curacao, is the ultimate island retreat! Named to the 2010 Hot List by Conde Nast Traveler, and Winner of the 2011 Travelers Choice award from Tripadvisor for Top 10 hotels for Romance in the Caribbean and Mexico, Baoase is an unforgettable experience that promises total relaxation, luxurious comfort, and impeccable service. This stunning brand new resort is surrounded by meandering free form pools, waterfalls, swaying palms and an idyllic private beach. Reflecting the qualities of an elegant home, the residential style villas and suites at Baoase are decorated in a refined Asian style and provide a relaxing ambiance complete with modern amenities. Villas and Suites also offer free connection to wireless internet and all indoor areas are air-conditioned whereas the porch has ceiling fans. Suites feature a spacious balcony/terrace with stunning sea view, each has its private garden with Jacuzzi. The interior design and its facilities are unique. Furthermore they boast a flat screen TV, DVD and Dolby surround system, coffeemaker, mini fridge, and wireless internet. The Master Villa is the Baoase's top accommodation. It comes with views that reach all the way to the buildings of downtown Willemstad, Curacao's capital. The villa also has its own private infinity pool, complete with a "luxury cave" that includes a Jacuzzi, a bar and card table and a relaxation area. Also included in the Master Villa is a chef, butler and the use of a private beach. From water sports to sailing, diving or fishing excursions, your every request will be taken in to consideration to help make your vacation the most memorable. Baoase luxury Resort will surely bring Heaven to Earth. . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Baoase Luxury Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baoase Luxury Hotel Willemstad
- Baoase Luxury Resort Curacao/Willemstad