“Splendid!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Boston, Massachusetts
“Splendid!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

We enjoyed one of the Baoase villas this month with 2 other couples during our scuba diving open water certification. Though Curacao is much less famous as a diving destination than it's sibling Bonaire, what a great place to be! And we could not have chosen a better resort. The villa was stylish and beautiful - a pleasant modern kitchen/ interior opened through double doors onto a large private wooden deck with our one of two outdoor showers and own stairs into the warm salt water infinity pool. The deck was our base of operations for dive planning by day and decompressing in the evenings. Each bedroom was beautifully done with stylish touches and very comfortable beds. The outdoor shower was felt by all to be a special delight. The property is very small, on a small sand beach surrounding a lagoon, which leads by 3 portals to the ocean. It is new, and clearly a lot of thought has gone into planning and design. We have traveled a great deal and this was amongst the prettiest resort boutique hotels at which we have stayed. Though it is not known as a scuba destination, the coral just outside the hotel hosts a wide variety of fish and their dock and lagoon were well suited to our dive training - but it would be great fun for casual snorkeliing as well given the 100 foot visibility below the waves. Service is outstanding with personable and attentive staff who knew our coffee preferences by our second morning! The morning breakfast is elaborate and delicious. Management is active and omnipresent in assuring that guests have a good experience. While the property is quite smal, and built up on an out cropping in a neighborhood, the landscaping is superb. The restaurant and bar are literally on the sandy beach. There are no crowds here - only quiet relaxation. Bring a book, a snorkel and a friend. As far as the island of Curacao, there are a wide variety of excellent restaurants with much better and varied food than the average Caribbean fare. The safety of the neighborhoods is varied, however, so one must be careful, and probably use a cab, (the 6 of us rented a van and did okay)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at Baoase over a year ago, and things got hectic, so never wrote a review. Suffice it to say, every family discussion we have had about where to go next conjures up warm memories of Baoase! The service is understated...they take care of all your needs without being "in your face". The accommodations are unique. Our villa had an outdoor shower on the second level, and large outdoor sitting area which opened right off kitchen. There was direct entry into pool from deck. Bartender even delivered drinks directly to pool, where you could enjoy them on the in pool bar while looking out at the ocean. There is a grocery store less than a five minute walk away, so it was easy to stock the kitchen. The resort is small, so the beach never had more than 10 people on it (granted, it is a very small beach) There is also a manmade island you can swim to if you want complete privacy, replete with lounge chairs. The minor criticisms are: small beach, water can be murky because it is contained, sauna in middle of pool was slimy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I spent a part of my honeymoon at Baoase and I loved it!
I chose the Ocean Front Suite, which has a great balcony with a jacuzzi.
The room is clean, well decorated, with everything you need for a nice stay. The bed is very cozy and comfortable. Everything is clean.
As I'm brazilian, it felt good to listen to brazilian music (Bossa Nova) as I got to the room. It was a very romantic CD. You feel special there.
There was a bottle of prosecco, a welcome drink and some snacks just waiting for us.
I think Baoase is specially nice for couples, because it's not too big and there are many spots to rest... for example, a place to watch the sunset.
The price is high, but I really think you get what you pay for. I think it's fair.
The hotel service is very nice and helpful.
The breakfast is amazing!
I have nothing to complain about my stay.

Room Tip: The Ocean Front Suite is perfect!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here on our honeymoon and I can't recommend this place enough. The resort was gorgeous and super quiet and peaceful (I'd say the resort had a maximum of 20 total guests at any point in time). We literally had their beautiful private beach completely to ourselves one of the days. The staff is unbelievably helpful, accommodating and friendly. The food was fantastic. We plan on coming back for one of our anniversaries and I can't imagine staying anywhere else after having come here.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, upgrade to a villa. Incredible privacy and luxury.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

After spending three nights on the north end of Curacao, we decided to splurge and spend the last five nights of our honeymoon in an ocean view suite at Baoase. Having read the reviews and knowing what we were paying to stay here, we had very high expectations, which were mostly met with few exceptions.

Without going into too many long-winded details the two things that, to me, really set this place apart from hotels that may be considered upscale, but not quite luxury are the level of personal and intimate service and the decor and fixtures. Throughout our whole stay my wife and I were referred to by name, starting with the very minute we pulled up to the gates, as the bellman came to the car and already knew who we were. Since we don't usually stay at luxury hotels, where I imagine this service is fairly commonplace, parts of this can be a bit overwhelming/intrusive (such as calls to ask your dinner plans and if they can make reservations for you or to see if you are still in the room and would like the evening turndown service), but overall the service is impeccable and makes you feel like more than a regular hotel guest.

As far as the design of the hotel itself, the decor and fixtures were of the highest quality and design. I don't think I've ever felt a softer rug and the materials and style of the room were luxurious, if a bit on the dark side. The grounds of the resort itself were immaculate and really made me feel like I had been transported to a Polynesian village.

The biggest problem I found with Baoase is that because of the price and the air of perfection it exudes, very minor problems seem a bit bigger than they otherwise should be. For example, the buttons on the hot tub were so worn that I couldn't read them and therefore had to press buttons randomly to try and change settings and the one day we ordered room service it took about 90 minutes and then they brought the wrong meal, although it did take only about 10 minutes to replace it with the correct one in only about 10 minutes. These and a few other things were are all very minor issues, and they're not really complaints, but because of the price and the service, they do become a bit magnified because of the minor deviations from the perfection that the rest of the resort has.

Two additional things to note: the location of the resort itself is not great - too far from the center of Willemstad to have anything worthwhile to walk to in the constant heat (other than an ATM and a market at the end of the street), but close enough so that the water wasn't as clean and clear as the rest of the island further away from the city. Also, the one thing that wasn't mentioned to us on our tour of the property that we were given upon arrival was that breakfast was included. This was mentioned when we made the reservation, but we had forgotten and so consequently didn't eat breakfast at the restaurant until our last day, and even then didn't realize it was included until I asked for the bill.

Overall we had a fantastic stay and really enjoyed the uniqueness and luxury of the resort, just be prepared to pay for it.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hotel is amazingly peaceful, no noise, no kids, no stress, super clean.. Pure oasis! We stayed at this villa with a private pool and every morning we'd open the door and jump on it. No matter where you walk around day or night you can totally "hear the peace" around. ***I want to say "THANKS" to my SCUBA DIVE INSTRUCTOR CARLOS who had no idea I had this fear of water, ocean and beaches since 15 years ago and still, after I explained him my situation we went snorkeling and he made sure I was safe.. I OVERCAME MY FEAR THANKS TO HIS LOVE FOR WHAT HE DOES AS A PROFESSIONAL. He didn't care how scared I was - he was confident that he knew what he was doing and I needed that confidence or I know I would have freaked out. I ENDED UP SNORKELING AND SCUBA DIVING 3 TIMES. Fear is over! Thank you Carlos!!! ***This trip was to celebrate our birthday and they even made us a special decoration in our villa as well as the gazebo for our romantic dinner. If you want to feel special, spoiled and go to a place where nobody will bother you this is it!

Room Tip: Villa 6, corner room, very large and sunny - there is no noise at all in any where and this villa is...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Baoase exceeded all expectations. We were greeted like royalty when we first arrived. The aesthetics of the resort are beyond perfection. The dark wood and zen feel mixed with lush jungle makes for a romantic spot straight out of your dreams.

Nothing but positivity toward most everything.

Worth every penny!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Baoase Luxury Resort? Share your experiences!