After spending three nights on the north end of Curacao, we decided to splurge and spend the last five nights of our honeymoon in an ocean view suite at Baoase. Having read the reviews and knowing what we were paying to stay here, we had very high expectations, which were mostly met with few exceptions.
Without going into too many long-winded details the two things that, to me, really set this place apart from hotels that may be considered upscale, but not quite luxury are the level of personal and intimate service and the decor and fixtures. Throughout our whole stay my wife and I were referred to by name, starting with the very minute we pulled up to the gates, as the bellman came to the car and already knew who we were. Since we don't usually stay at luxury hotels, where I imagine this service is fairly commonplace, parts of this can be a bit overwhelming/intrusive (such as calls to ask your dinner plans and if they can make reservations for you or to see if you are still in the room and would like the evening turndown service), but overall the service is impeccable and makes you feel like more than a regular hotel guest.
As far as the design of the hotel itself, the decor and fixtures were of the highest quality and design. I don't think I've ever felt a softer rug and the materials and style of the room were luxurious, if a bit on the dark side. The grounds of the resort itself were immaculate and really made me feel like I had been transported to a Polynesian village.
The biggest problem I found with Baoase is that because of the price and the air of perfection it exudes, very minor problems seem a bit bigger than they otherwise should be. For example, the buttons on the hot tub were so worn that I couldn't read them and therefore had to press buttons randomly to try and change settings and the one day we ordered room service it took about 90 minutes and then they brought the wrong meal, although it did take only about 10 minutes to replace it with the correct one in only about 10 minutes. These and a few other things were are all very minor issues, and they're not really complaints, but because of the price and the service, they do become a bit magnified because of the minor deviations from the perfection that the rest of the resort has.
Two additional things to note: the location of the resort itself is not great - too far from the center of Willemstad to have anything worthwhile to walk to in the constant heat (other than an ATM and a market at the end of the street), but close enough so that the water wasn't as clean and clear as the rest of the island further away from the city. Also, the one thing that wasn't mentioned to us on our tour of the property that we were given upon arrival was that breakfast was included. This was mentioned when we made the reservation, but we had forgotten and so consequently didn't eat breakfast at the restaurant until our last day, and even then didn't realize it was included until I asked for the bill.
Overall we had a fantastic stay and really enjoyed the uniqueness and luxury of the resort, just be prepared to pay for it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled amidst tropical gardens on the pristine waters of the Caribbean Sea, Baoase Luxury Resort in Curacao, is the ultimate island retreat! Named to the 2010 Hot List by Conde Nast Traveler, and Winner of the 2011 Travelers Choice award from Tripadvisor for Top 10 hotels for Romance in the Caribbean and Mexico, Baoase is an unforgettable experience that promises total relaxation, luxurious comfort, and impeccable service. This stunning brand new resort is surrounded by meandering free form pools, waterfalls, swaying palms and an idyllic private beach. Reflecting the qualities of an elegant home, the residential style villas and suites at Baoase are decorated in a refined Asian style and provide a relaxing ambiance complete with modern amenities. Villas and Suites also offer free connection to wireless internet and all indoor areas are air-conditioned whereas the porch has ceiling fans. Suites feature a spacious balcony/terrace with stunning sea view, each has its private garden with Jacuzzi. The interior design and its facilities are unique. Furthermore they boast a flat screen TV, DVD and Dolby surround system, coffeemaker, mini fridge, and wireless internet. The Master Villa is the Baoase's top accommodation. It comes with views that reach all the way to the buildings of downtown Willemstad, Curacao's capital. The villa also has its own private infinity pool, complete with a "luxury cave" that includes a Jacuzzi, a bar and card table and a relaxation area. Also included in the Master Villa is a chef, butler and the use of a private beach. From water sports to sailing, diving or fishing excursions, your every request will be taken in to consideration to help make your vacation the most memorable. Baoase luxury Resort will surely bring Heaven to Earth. . ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Baoase Luxury Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Baoase Luxury Hotel Willemstad
- Baoase Luxury Resort Curacao/Willemstad