“You get what you pay for” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Escape Winter Special
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Baltimore, Maryland
“You get what you pay for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

After spending three nights on the north end of Curacao, we decided to splurge and spend the last five nights of our honeymoon in an ocean view suite at Baoase. Having read the reviews and knowing what we were paying to stay here, we had very high expectations, which were mostly met with few exceptions.

Without going into too many long-winded details the two things that, to me, really set this place apart from hotels that may be considered upscale, but not quite luxury are the level of personal and intimate service and the decor and fixtures. Throughout our whole stay my wife and I were referred to by name, starting with the very minute we pulled up to the gates, as the bellman came to the car and already knew who we were. Since we don't usually stay at luxury hotels, where I imagine this service is fairly commonplace, parts of this can be a bit overwhelming/intrusive (such as calls to ask your dinner plans and if they can make reservations for you or to see if you are still in the room and would like the evening turndown service), but overall the service is impeccable and makes you feel like more than a regular hotel guest.

As far as the design of the hotel itself, the decor and fixtures were of the highest quality and design. I don't think I've ever felt a softer rug and the materials and style of the room were luxurious, if a bit on the dark side. The grounds of the resort itself were immaculate and really made me feel like I had been transported to a Polynesian village.

The biggest problem I found with Baoase is that because of the price and the air of perfection it exudes, very minor problems seem a bit bigger than they otherwise should be. For example, the buttons on the hot tub were so worn that I couldn't read them and therefore had to press buttons randomly to try and change settings and the one day we ordered room service it took about 90 minutes and then they brought the wrong meal, although it did take only about 10 minutes to replace it with the correct one in only about 10 minutes. These and a few other things were are all very minor issues, and they're not really complaints, but because of the price and the service, they do become a bit magnified because of the minor deviations from the perfection that the rest of the resort has.

Two additional things to note: the location of the resort itself is not great - too far from the center of Willemstad to have anything worthwhile to walk to in the constant heat (other than an ATM and a market at the end of the street), but close enough so that the water wasn't as clean and clear as the rest of the island further away from the city. Also, the one thing that wasn't mentioned to us on our tour of the property that we were given upon arrival was that breakfast was included. This was mentioned when we made the reservation, but we had forgotten and so consequently didn't eat breakfast at the restaurant until our last day, and even then didn't realize it was included until I asked for the bill.

Overall we had a fantastic stay and really enjoyed the uniqueness and luxury of the resort, just be prepared to pay for it.

3 Thank tjconn728

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Hotel is amazingly peaceful, no noise, no kids, no stress, super clean.. Pure oasis! We stayed at this villa with a private pool and every morning we'd open the door and jump on it. No matter where you walk around day or night you can totally "hear the peace" around. ***I want to say "THANKS" to my SCUBA DIVE INSTRUCTOR CARLOS who had no idea I had this fear of water, ocean and beaches since 15 years ago and still, after I explained him my situation we went snorkeling and he made sure I was safe.. I OVERCAME MY FEAR THANKS TO HIS LOVE FOR WHAT HE DOES AS A PROFESSIONAL. He didn't care how scared I was - he was confident that he knew what he was doing and I needed that confidence or I know I would have freaked out. I ENDED UP SNORKELING AND SCUBA DIVING 3 TIMES. Fear is over! Thank you Carlos!!! ***This trip was to celebrate our birthday and they even made us a special decoration in our villa as well as the gazebo for our romantic dinner. If you want to feel special, spoiled and go to a place where nobody will bother you this is it!

Room Tip: Villa 6, corner room, very large and sunny - there is no noise at all in any where and this villa is...
4 Thank Debora1410
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Baoase exceeded all expectations. We were greeted like royalty when we first arrived. The aesthetics of the resort are beyond perfection. The dark wood and zen feel mixed with lush jungle makes for a romantic spot straight out of your dreams.

Nothing but positivity toward most everything.

Worth every penny!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
4 Thank Marisa1111
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Your search for the perfect getaway has ended. Stop your research and go book Baoase now. My wife and I just returned from our week long honeymoon there. Our trip was absolute perfection. We stayed in Villa 5 and it was beautiful.

We had a difficult trip down as we were stuck on the American Airlines flight with the loose seats. So, instead of arriving at 2:30, we missed the whole day and did not arrive until after 10pm. We were in terrible moods upon our arrival and did not expect to enjoy anything. Within 30 seconds of being on the resort, our moods immediately changed! We were starving and they had welcome drinks and food waiting for us.

It is such a warm and relaxing environment. The property is spectacular and extremely well maintained. The infrastructure is great, feel free to drink the tap water!

The customer service and attention to detail is unparalleled. The entire staff new who we were and quickly came to understand our likes so they could create a unique experience for us. The food is amazing and the restaurant will quickly be ranked #1 on the island soon. The kitchen new of my bride's gluten and dairy allergies, so they purchased special bread, almond milk, and other ingredients to cater to her needs.

We truly enjoyed ourselves and can't think of a more perfect honeymoon experience that we could have had.

A helpful travel trip to Curacao: we traveled from NYC to Curacao, with a lay-over in Miami with American Airlines. American Airlines is having some major problems across their entire company and we suggest that you avoid booking your air travel with them. There are only two daily connections with AA out of Miami, one at 11:40 and one at 5:40pm. If you miss your connection, you are at the mercy of this schedule and the limited availability. Because of AA's problems, we almost missed a few days of our honeymoon. If you cannot get a direct flight to Curacao from your first departure city, I suggest that you book a direct flight to Aruba and get a local connection from there. There are a few local airlines with plenty of availability. So, if you miss your original connection in Aruba, you will likely get on the next one within an hour or so.

1 Thank MrWonderful77
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I spent the final two nights of our honeymoon here, but wish it had been longer. The suite was simply amazing, the service excellent, and the food and drinks were so good that we didn't even leave the resort. The only drawback is that the location is very removed from anything else and limits your ability to see much else during a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
4 Thank Alpinetrout
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My new wife and I loved the Baoase resort. It is a beautiful place for a recently married couple to relax after the wedding and enjoy the beach, great food, amazing weather and lovely staff. I thought the island was on the up and that it will continue to improve every year. It seems like there is a lot going on.
The hotel itself is wonderful. The lagoon they have created has enough private spots that you feel like the you have the place to yourself and it is extraordinarily well maintained.
As i mentioned the staff are fantastic - young, friendly, energetic and some of the nicest people you could wish to meet. The guests are a good mix of people, some dutch, some from the rest of europe, a few americans. All very friendly though.
Overally I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing and slightly off the beaten track place to go for a romantic break.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms but if just 2 of you get one of the beach front suites
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hugh T
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I can't wait to go back! Awesome staff!
Beatiful place! The rooms are impecables! It was done with lots of love and heart thinking about the GUEST!
A truly amazing experience!!!!! Way to go Baoase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Cashetone
Also consider these accommodations in or near Willemstad
Van der Valk Kontiki Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 stars 422 reviews
Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Curacao
Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino

Been to Baoase Luxury Resort? Share your experiences!