“Trupial inn willemstadt” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Willemstad
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Trupial inn willemstadt”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

we stayed there in late september 2013, the entrance and restaurant were still under construction. and the restaurant had a very limited menu, the food wasnt the best anyway
nice swimming pool. Colorful deck chairs outside each room but the mosquitoes spoil it by constantly biting and swarming around you.
Bed was very comfortable but overall the room could have been better presented
the toilet was blocked four out of the seven days we stayed, at one point the shower drain overflowed and flooded out into the room
Front desk staff are friendly and helpful. maintenance or up keeping of the rooms is inadequate.
there is a daily shuttle bus into the town which is quite a distance away from the hotel
locally there is a few restaurants with tony roma being the best of these within walking distance

In all honesty if i return to curacao i would seek accomodation elsewhere as there is better to be had at the price

Room Tip: try to get rooms in the 30's the 70's seem to have worse mosquitoes and drainage
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

When we were there in August, the entrance and restaurant were under construction. The ground is well maintained. It has a very nice swimming pool. Colorful deck chairs outside each room are cute and pleasant. Beds are very comfortable (4 stars). Front desk staffs are friendly and helpful.
There are some not so good things. Given that the rooms were renovated within the last 2-3 years, maintenance or up keeping of the rooms is inadequate. The tile grout and caulking around the shower stall are dirty (brown and black). There are also stains on the wall in front of the sink (not too pleasant to look at when brushing teeth). Two stars for the bathroom. The housekeeping staffs never smile or say good morning. In fact when the cleaning person found out that we were in our room (around 11 am), instead of saying that she would come back, she wanted to come in to clean the room. With all the renovation, this hotel has potential, if the management can do a better job in its up keeping.
By the way, it is helpful to rent a GPS. Although the hotel is conveniently located east of Punda (10 minutes drive), it is not that easy to find. Curacao has NO signs for street names. Google map would not help at all when you don't know what street you are on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Four of us shared a deluxe double room for just one night for a long layover. It was a small room but was ok for the short trip. The room was very nice, clean, and updated to a modern look. There was a nice flat screen TV as well. The pool was very nice and there was a swim up bar. The bartender, Meki, was very friendly and made excellent drinks. We also had dinner at their restaurant which was also good. There was plenty of security throughout the hotel area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Grand Rapids, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

My dive buddy and I recently stayed here and within the first 10 min of arriving he had his carry-on bag stolen from right outside the office/check-in with all his important stuff in it (passport, scuba regulator etc) while checking in we left our bags outside the office in full view and when we came out his bag was gone!! We were shocked as this was the first time anything like this had ever happened to us in our lives, and we both travel quite a bit. We asked the front desk guy to alert their on site security team and they claimed they never saw the thief or bag. After we did a quick and frantic search of the property and turned up nothing I asked about security cameras and their location and it turned out that there was one fixed right on the area and the thief would surely be on the video. I asked them to let us see it and they said the owner had to come down to do this and we should come back to the office "in the morning"!?! I insisted that would be FAR too late and we needed to see it now so we could call the police and hopefully get it back. They agreed to ask him to come down right away and claimed they'd called him to come let us look at the video. No less than 2 min later two of the "security" guards came around the corner from the parking lot area and had the bag in had and claimed that they 'found' it out by our rental car in the lot and "we must have left it there by our car" there is NO CHANCE that we left this very important bag in the parking lot and I know for a fact that he had it when we got to the check-in. This was a terrible start to our stay.

After 5 days he had to return home and I was staying for 4 more days alone and asked to be moved to a room with a king bed rather than the double bed room I was in. After waiting a while they called to say my room was ready. I relocated my stuff, no offer to help from them, and settled into my new room. At first glance it was fine but when I pulled back the covers to lay down on the bed I saw a small wet spot on the fitted sheet. I figured it must have been water spilled on it or something and blew it off. A few min later I realized that my back felt damp and got up and pulled the sheet off and realized the mattress pad was SOAKED with some sort of liquid, I then pulled back the mattress pad and the whole mattress was also soaking wet!!! DISGUSTING!!! How in the world the maid missed this is beyond my comprehension... I insisted they bring a new mattress and after 30-40 min they finally swapped it out but how gross is that??

One last thing the bathrooms in both rooms smelled like mold or mildew and it never went away even after having the room cleaned daily.

Other than those things the room and bed was comfortable but I can't see myself ever staying there again. Also because I forgot my computer charger cord there and they wanted me to give them my CC # over the phone so they could charge the shipping costs to my card!!! Not a chance in the world I would have done that. They ended up saying it would cost $65 for them to FedEx it back to me and I told them I could buy a new one for half that price and if they would please just ship it by regular mail. This was over 2 weeks ago and I haven't seen it yet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
St.Gallen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My first impression of the hotel was... Wow... i was traveling alone, arived at night hours and was hearing only noises of cicadas and other animals. I felt like in jungle :) . i felt excited. Lot of palm trees and many flowers and green everywhere. I loved the location, because it wasnt direct in the city. Its situated quit in the middle between the airport and Willemstad. So no beach. But, beautiful nice pool. Staff working in the hotel is very friendly and discret. About cleanless , never i had any doubts. Rooms are spacious bit cool but mordern. I felt safe in this area, even its dark outside on the streets. There are few small restaurants in walking distance as well a simple sympatic shopping mall. I would recommand this place to everybody who doesnt need to stay day and night in AI hotels with animation and look for bit more quite location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The Trupial Inn was a decent hotel to stay in Curaçao. For the price I have no major complaints. The grounds were beautiful and the pool was nice. The main complaint we had was the room service was a little slow and we had a small spider problem. Dispute all that we would stay again at this hotel. Isaac messed up our travel plans, but the hotel staff kept our room, even though we were a day late. That says a lot for the customer service. Plus, the area the hotel was located was very nice. The fact that it was in a residential area did not bother us, it actually added to the charm. Plus, the hotel is centrally located so we could get around the hotel with no drama.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The Hague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Trupial Inn is a good hotel for those travellers who do not feel the need to stay at the beach and like to be flexible in their choices. You can be at the beach in 15 minutes and in town in 10.

With shops around the corner and the circular road just a few meters away, you can easily stay here for a longer period of time. Rooms with cooking facilities are availible and every room has aircon plus a good shower, flatscreen TV, coffe maker, fridge, ironing board and safe. The pool is great for kids. The bar and restaurant are up market. I avoided the casino. Not my thing.

I enjoyed the clean rooms and modern facilities. There was ample parking space. The family with kids next to my room enjoyed the place as well. The pool was great for the kids and the staff is very kid friendly. I would take my family there for sure.

As a business hotel Trupial Inn is a real winner. Affordable and central.

Next time I go, I will see to it Trupial is booked again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business