“Small, cute and cozy” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Otrobanda Hotel and Casino

You added Otrobanda Hotel and Casino to your Saves list
Otrobanda Hotel and Casino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Breedestraat | Willemstad, Curacao, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Oranjestad, Aruba
“Small, cute and cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Not to mention that it's central, has a gorgeous harbor view. I can sit in the restaurant all day, sip cocktails and watch boats and ships, come in and go. Recently renovated not quite to my taste, but doesn't take away all the other positives.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
McMurray, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

After reading through the reviews for the Otrobanda Hotel, I had concerns due to several very negative reviews about staying at this hotel. However, the location and my love for staying in older distinctive hotels located in the city center moved me to take my chances. Everything about our stay from January 13 through the 16th exceeded our expectations. The staff at the front desk were always friendly, courteous and always willing to help with our request. We stayed in a suite on the 5th floor facing the water and had a wonderful view of the Punda and Queen Emma Bridge which we enjoyed watching it open and close. The suite was very spacious and nicely furnished. The bathroom was nice with plenty of hot water. The included breakfast was buffet style with an eggs to order station, many hot items, an assortment of breads, muffins, and sweet rolls, fruit, cereals, and juice. On one day French Toast was offered. With an early flight on our departure day, they prepared our breakfast to go which we ate while waiting at the airport. With it's location, it was easy to walk across the Queen Emma Bridge to the Punda or to the Rif Fort shopping area. The only negative was that the WiFi is only available in the lobby and restaurant area. Otherwise, if you are looking for a charming place to stay in the center of things and not at one of all-inclusive resorts on the beach, the Otrobonda Hotel is for you.

Room Tip: Suites on the top floor that face the water give the best view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Aruba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Otrobanda Hotel is located very close to the pontoon bridge in Willemstad, Curacao. Also near the ferry, so crossing is never a problem. From its restaurant you have a beautiful view of Punda. Also, across the street is Brion Square, where many activities are held.
The hotel itself is a bit old, but clean and comfortable. Price is also reasonable and the staff is friendly. It is within walking distance of the shopping mall at the Renaissance hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible so you won't be disturbed by the sound of music (there see...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My sister was very ill and taken off a cruise ship to St Elisabeth Hospital in Willemstad. The port agent arranged for me to stay in Hotel Otrabanda, so I could walk to the hospital to visit my sister. I stayed 5 nights.

The hotel is an air conditioned, basically comfortable hotel with a small pool but no frills.

The open air restaurant was pleasant but the weather was too hot to eat outside during the day. The breakfast buffet was excellent.

The staff in both the hotel and restaurant were very helpful and spoke English. They went out of their way to make local telephone calls for me. One wait person often asked how my sister was doing.

One negative, I could not log on to their wireless internet in the lobby with my notebook. I think it was a case of their not having the newest technology. I had several younger (20 year olds) help me try to log on without success.

Because of this, I made several long distance calls (from my room) but the bill for these was only $22 US.

Overall I found this hotel more than just adequate. The staff made the difference in my stressful stay. When we were ready to go back to the US, we left about 5 am. The desk person even told us when our taxi arrived.

It is not a resort hotel but would be good for business visits.

Room Tip: Ask for two beds if you are not alone. The double bed is small for two people.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were originally booked at Kura Hulanda - just across the street, but that one closed up just a few days before our arrival, with no notice to us. I did consider Ortobanda Hotel before, it was my second choice and I just went with it once I realized what happened to Kura Hulanda. The hotel is very basic, but the basics are there. AC, mini-fridge, daily house keeping, buffet breakfast - all was okay though nothing was spectacular. The water in the sink and shower only has one temperature - pretty much ambient or a little higher. It's fine for basic needs but you will not be able to get a hot shower to relax or a splash of cold water to cool off. On the 5th floor the music from the restaurants downstairs and across the canal does not bother too much. In hindsight, I would have chosen a different location (not in Willemstad), but in the town anything better will cost quite a bit more, so it all depends on what your priorities are.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing Punda are best to enjoy the view and avoid the noise at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Leiderdorp, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

If you do not want to sleep, why waste money on a hotel?
Location is good, rooms clean (but small and overpriced), but the loud music playyed in the hotel restaurant made sleeping imposible. Something you would expect in a budget hostel. Way overpriced. Avoid if you can.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Armenia, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Arrived after a long flight, and checked in at otrobanda. I am actually surprised about the good reviews this hotel had got. I has to look through and seems like many wanted to run away but many more liked the place, so i really don't know if there is a hidden floor or separate hotel with same name..

I've rated location as 4 because it is in a good location with a really nice view, but the hotel itself is terrible:

Check-in: A grumpy no-smiles girl hardly greeted when checking in. All contra hospitality.

Rooms: Was there for work; and they advertised internet in rooms, but that was not the case. Neither wireless or cable worked in room. Useless to ask reception about anything, never any "of course we can help". The room itself had a view into a brick wall; mold in bathroom& room; bathtub with rust-stains.. The bed was a standard "IKEA" bed and was placed against the wall. But it was not attached to anything, and the slippery brick floor made it slip, so there was a big gap b/w bed/wall. Meaning no sitting in bed. No extra channels on TV (movies etc, no room service).

A big disgusting worn down carpet flooring was all around the hotel except reception.

Service: Restaurant personnel came to serve you when they felt they had time, even though nice when they finally did. Ordered a surf & turf first night; steak was overcookef and impossible to chew; and lobster was so attached to shell it was impossible to get out.

Breakfast was good though..

I choosed Kura Hulanda after this (at almost same rate); it was like coming from h*** to heaven.

Cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Otrobanda Hotel and Casino? Share your experiences!