“Average hotel - mixed feelings” 3 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$99 (USD)
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Willemstad
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Average hotel - mixed feelings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I booked the Hilton for the week of North Sea Jazz, an excellent jazz festival - which I can highly recommend!

To start - I booked a Junior Suite through Expedia for 4 nights - and decided to stay another night in same room type, which I booked through the Hilton website itself. I e-mailed the hotel in advance to make sure these two bookings would be treated as a single booking, but the hotel unfortunately never responded.

When I arrived to the hotel, they could not find my booking - even though I had a printed confirmation. The person who checked me in was not very friendly and went to the back room for about 40 minutes (!) to try to sort things out. They did not offer us a drink, or even to sit us down somewhere while they sorted the things out – we not even an apology was made! He basically just came back with the room keys. Very unwelcoming. No information was given about Wifi (paid access? come on, we’re in 2014), breakfast, lounge access (which is given with the room type we booked), etc. I had to ask about everything. Not a good start.

When entering the room, I noticed that they actually gave us a full suite - rather than Junior. Very spacious, but with kind of a weird design - a kitchen type of corner, but without any actual kitchen equipment - but there's a random stereo on the bar - large walk in closet, but no shelves, etc. But the room itself was quite nice and bed very comfortable. The rooms are recently refurbished - but it still felt done a bit cheaply - some tiles were loose, electrical cables tied together with duct tape and some cracks and holes in the walls - minor things, but for such new rooms you expect a bit more eye for detail like this and I seriously doubt how well these rooms will age – but time will tell. The (ocean) view from the room (4th floor) was great and definitely one of the highlights.

The room gave us access to the executive lounge as well. The lounge itself is very, very minimal; simple breakfast and choice of few soft drinks. Alcohol is not free (also not during happy hour), but offered at slightly reduced prices. Snacks are pretty much inedible. The whole lounge would have been a big disappointment, if it would've have been for the lovely ladies working there - specifically Dawn & Kareen. These two ladies were the absolute highlight of our stay at the Hilton. They were so friendly and welcoming, great for advice and arranging things on the Island. Hilton - whatever you do (and there is a lot to do to improve) - keep these ladies!

Back to the property itself - the grounds are nice, good pools and the beach is great. Much nicer than the next door Marriott in my opinion - as it has a more relaxed vibe. The gym is good too. Definitely a good spot to relax for a couple of days.

My main issue with the hotel is the food. I was expecting it to be expensive - and it was - but the quality was poor (as mentioned in many other reviews). For that kind of money you really expect a better quality and choice of food. Room service pricing was insane - 22 USD for a chicken sandwich plus 4 USD delivery charge plus tax!! That totals over 30 dollars for a simple sandwich! Being rather isolated (taxis into town will cost 15-20 USD each way) you rely on the food of the hotel - Hilton, you have a lot of work to do here.

Another issue I had on the extended day of my stay (which I regret I did). They told me I had to move the room (as they never responded to my e-mail to join the two bookings). Which was fine to me. I checked out at 12 (as they requested), and the day before they told me they would have a room ready for us quickly. In the end we had to wait for over 3 hours to move to our new room. Front desk didn't care at all - one lady specifically had an attitude problem (and kept saying - check in time is 3 PM - you have to wait, even though were not checking in, but moving rooms). I wish the front desk attitude (and I am taking several people here over several days) was anywhere near the friendliness of the lounge - unfortunately it was the exact opposite.

Would I stay here again? Not sure; the location is very convenient for North Sea Jazz, the beach and pool is great – but staff really a mixed bag and the food and restaurants (including the BBQ) were really not good enough. I moved to the Santa Barbara hotel after my stay – where I paid less for the room and food – and both were so much better, you can’t even compare the two properties, so for my next visit it will be an easy choice.

The only thing I will really miss is the great team in the executive lounge. Dawn & Kareen, thanks a lot for making our stay still great!

Room Tip: Go for basic room (ocean view) - don't bother taking the executive rooms or suites - not worth i...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Room: 1 / 5
Resort: 2 / 5
Total: 3 / 5

Summary: I'd look elsewhere

The Hilton Resort is beautiful; well designed, intimate beaches, you can walk along the waterfront and let your thoughts wander. My initial reaction was I need to come back to this place with my wife on proper holiday!

But as many below have said, it's an old hotel, and though many of the staff are "nice" it's easy to spot that there's something missing. On the one hand some people will go out of their way for you, even if you tell them not to go to the trouble. This is really awesome.

On the flip side there are staff who at most follow a "be nice" script: "How was your stay", "What could we do to make your stay even better" etc. You end up having to ask for a lot of obvious stuff, or wait too long for things or inconvenience yourself unnecessarily. It's the sort of thing you wouldn't think twice about if you were staying at a budget brand ... but I thought you could expect more from Hilton.

The room ... ouch ... I had originally decided not to say much about the room. I was there on business and wasn't going to spend much time in the room. Also as many others have said, the resort does a good job making up for the room, and complaining just doesn't seem to fit with the spirit of Curacao. But, something happened during checkout that changed my mind ... so:

Room: 108 2 Doubles / Queen, Balcony, Fridge, Safe

1. Thick cracking caulking under the bath tub, with quite a bit of black mold. I imagine this is a challenge for any hotel on the island with the humidity but this isn't a cheap hotel.

2. The towels smelled of that "damp / musty" smell, and you only find this out once you use them ... One of the towels was dirty ... had a black mark on it that looked like shoe polish (hope it was shoe polish and not black mold)
note: I had all of the towels changed and the new ones were old, but fine (no smell)

3. Shower is average ... it was ok for me (short stay etc). Doesn't get really hot and it's on the weak side. There's ceiling above the shower head is warming and had a hole in it ...

4. Air Conditioner is noisy but does the job. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were good too. So you do get a good nights sleep.

5. Walls are very thin, you can easily hear the conversation the person in the room next to you is having (if you can understand the language that is :) )

6. No complimentary or "for pay" water bottles in the room ... if you're staying there you'll want to stock up.

7. First time I use hotel laundry ... wasn't the best experience, after 2 days I still hadn't got my shirt back despite calling twice to follow up. Eventually got it - not sure if this is normal for any hotel but seemed odd.

8. One of the hotel doors locking mechanisms was falling off - basically you get the impression no one is really maintaining these rooms on a regular basis.

Ultimately, it's a shame, such a beautiful place, but the rooms and the service aren't quite there.

Room Tip: Stay away from 108. Ask when the room was last made up.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

We stayed for one week and I wish it could have been two. The hotel could do with some refurbishments and better maintenance but the staff really make up for any shortcomings with their excellent customer service. The A/C needs to run 24/7 to make any difference to the temperature and the room unit has a noisy fan. This affects sleep quality, which would otherwise be excellent because the beds are great. The location is great with a small but adequate beach area, large pool, local dive centre and good snorkelling off the beach. We only venture out one afternoon to Willemstaad, the Capital, and one morning snorkelling boat trip. Both were worth the visit. Room tip: If you like to sit on your balcony, pay the difference for a sea view room. The alternative is not very inspiring.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Nice hotel, great location close to the center. We had a great time on the island. We decided to come to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we loved it. Loved our oceanfront rooms, staff was lovely and good restaurants. When we were not out visiting the island...Punda is lovely, we spent our time on the hotel lovely beaches, snorkeling or playing tennis or exercising at the gym.
Had a great dinner in their italian restaurant, lovely RIsotto.
Big thanks to our lovely room cleaners, always had an extra touch for us and a big smile.
Well done Hilton !

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Wonderful stay, excellent service and impeccable grounds. Best location and views on the island. Management is visible and happily interacts and guides making for a truely enjoyable guest experience from start to finish!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Papeete
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I recommend this hotel; it is not really magnificent and the rooms are not extraordinary but the view from the balcony is superb and there is no problem with the staff which has a very professional and even kind behaviour. A good value for the price paid.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

It would have been an absolutely amazing hotel if the restaurant and food in the executive lounge didn't leave us utterly disappointed. The restaurant's hours were until 10 according to the menu, 11 according to front desk and 9:25 according to the restaurant when they turned us away at 9:30. The food in the executive lounge was non existent.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor overlooking the Carribean, no real secret here.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!