“Beautiful place, terrible service.” 1 of 5 stars

Special Rate
$79 (USD)
Ranked #14 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
Alexandria, Virginia
“Beautiful place, terrible service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

On our way to Caracas from Bonaire my family of four (two adults and two kids) had to spend one night in Curacao. The hotel is old but the setting is beautiful, grounds are well kept and the sea views from the room were awesome.
In our room that night at around midnight lights went out , my son went to the bathroom and notice a leak from the roof. We called the front desk and reported the problem. They showed up 40 minutes later and only after my repeated visits down to the lobby. When they finally came to our room, they went to a service room closed by and switched the breakers back on. We had the lights and the air conditioning back on. We showed them the leak which was getting increasingly getting worse and they said the couldn't do anything about it because they did not have the personnel, i asked them if they could move us to another room and they said the hotel was full.The water was coming from the AC unit, not only was there a water leak, the AC never cooled the room (keep in mind this is the caribean). I complained to Hilton customer service via email and the replied that management of the hotel had been made aware of the issue and they should contact me (reference number 12938489), When I went to the front desk the next morning the staff on duty did not know anything about our issue. Their attitude was always defensive and never helpful. To compensate us for out trouble they deducted $60 from the bill... I should have stayed in the Marriott next door or any other hotel with a functioning AC and with better trained service personnel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Miami, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

The service was good/ average but the room is dated and dusty. The bed sheets were stained and the room was a bit smelly. The pool and beach area were nice but the rooms were terrible. I am not a fan of this property.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

My spouse and I had a dream to have a destination wedding on a beautiful Caribbean beach. About 11 months prior to the wedding, we started the task of contacting various different venues on the island as we had many questions. By far, the Hilton, and by the Hilton, we mean Jean Carlos, was the most attentive and personable. Eventually, we chose the Hilton for our wedding because of this, as well as the picturesque setting. We were really looking for a hotel that would offer us what we dreamed for our wedding but also a great place for our guests to stay where they would be able to enjoy themselves, this hotel is the total package!

We stayed a total of 5 nights at the Hilton....and wish we could have stayed longer!! Several of our family members who flew in from all over the USA to attend our wedding and all choose to stay at the Hilton as well. Every one of our guests and us were more than satisfied with the Hilton. The staff is very welcoming and warm. This hotel is very well kept up too! You'll see the crew out there early morning cleaning the pools, the chairs and sweeping the decks off! If after a long day day relaxing by the beach at the hotel and you don't feel like getting dressed up to go out to dinner, this hotel has several dinning options at the resort. The food at the bar was very good!

We both feel that everybody went above and beyond to make that day the most special day possible. We felt like we were treated like the president and the first lady. Our wedding was everything we could have hoped for, in the most beautiful place we could hope for. All the effort everybody put in definitely showed. We have no complaints. They did so much for all of our guests who traveled from various locations in the USA. We are thrilled to have had the opportunity to work these folks and are now kind of sad that its over now, haha!

Amaryllis and Ursula were extremely helpful when it came to arranging all of the reservations for our guests. Everybody at the front desk was very friendly and helpful...we especially appreciated Luis' help with a necklace on the wedding day! :) The staff was always willing to give out great restaurant recommendations or even what beaches to check out!

Jean Carlos and his team did everything possible to make sure what we had dreamed of for our wedding was created. He even called us twice on the phone to go over details! Everything from the entertainment, flowers, centerpieces down to the food was amazing. People are still raving about how great the food was at the wedding.

If you are considering having your wedding in Curacao, this is the place to have it! Several of our guests stayed after the wedding and enjoyed themselves at the resort, great place to vacation. We and several other family members looking forward to coming back to the Hilton in Curacao for vacation!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I just came back from a stay at this hotel 8/8-812 and it was a decent experience, I had never been out of the country before and I learned a lot. This review is about things I wish i had known in advance before going or choosing, some the hotels issue some just general.

First, the charge you an extra $200 for expenses while you will be staying there, i guess this is because they know you will sort of be trapped there if you have no car. I was ok with this but it did throw me off as I was not expecting it.

Two, the way the resorts are set up I really are conducive to going anywhere else. I read reviews of people saying they walked to Pirates Bay or Floris but I really dont see how unless they were walking in the road. Furthermore, the only other resort I even saw a way to get into was the Marriot. I did see a sign for Floris but no entry way. It was because of this I say I was trapped as I was forced to eat at the hilton only because I didnt feel safe exploring trying to figure out a way to get into the other resorts.

This bring me to the food, there are only a few places to eat at the Hilton, sure if you break it down it comes to about 5 or 6 but they all pretty much serve the same thing. I mainly ate at Captain Blights because it was the most convenient being right there but the Beach Bar and Grill a mere few steps away serves the same food. I also noticed that at the Beach Bar and Grill soe of the exact same drinks were $1 cheaper than at Captain Blights, it was baffling. The breakfast at Aqua is $25 bucks and while they had a decent selection is wasnt anything special. The bacon and sausage were undercooked everyday. I ask for fried eggs once and ended up with burned sunny side up. The coffee was quite literally the nastiest coffee I have ever tasted. On my last day I finally used the in room coffee maker and wish I would have done that everyday, much better coffee. If you choose to go a little cheaper and just do continental it hardly seems worth as the cheese they had out had all melted together. I also ate at Cielos once, it was decent pasta but small portion and expensive.

here is my know before you go about the food the expresso bar seems to be much better. I didnt actually go in there until my second to last day and they had a breakfast sandwich for only $10 bucks, i didnt try it but I surely would have gone there every morning instead of Aqua. I also got a cold latte and it was good and only about $6. I also saw they had small lunches. Point is if you want somewhere cheaper than anything else at the hilton go to expresso cafe.

I know people go on vacation for fruity drinks but while tasty, they tasted like smoothie with no alcohol in them whatsoever, I can only imagine how much money would be spent trying to get a buzz from those. I stuck with the house wine for only $6.50 and knew i would at least be getting straight alcohol.

Its a $15 taxi ride into town but if I had known the food was going to be like that (expensive and small) I would have definitely arranged to go into town on my first day to stock up on fruit, snacks and water to survive off of. There is a small grocery story on the Otrabanda side that will do the trick in Willemstad and of course on the Punda side the market.

The shuttle into town fills up fast, because it only seats 11. I got there late friday and ask if I could make a reservation into town on the shuttle for monday and they told me the morning was already taken. So if you plan to use the hotel shuttle definitely book it early. Also, the shuttle is every 4 hours so you have to choose am from 830 to 1230 or 130 to 530. I heard and agree that the morning is best to go into town as things tend to shut down in the afternoon. I listened to my gut and caught a taxi into town b/c i wanted to go to Kura Hulanda Museum and there is no way I would have had time to go to museum and explore in the four hours i had. Also dont let a full booking fool you, when I was waiting to be picked up for the afternoon I counted 10 ppl getting off and in my trip 9. also the shuttle doesnt run on Sundays, but it seems to be fore the best and very little seems to be open on the weekends in Curacao which is another thing I wish I would have known before I went so that I could have arranged/booked differently.

My room was nice, i had an ocean view which was great. I did not notice until the final day that there was a large chunk of glass missing from the table on the balcony. The first thing I noticed in the room was how the shower looked old and new at the same time. I guess new design shoddy works? there were upheaved and cracked tiles.

Room Cleaning was slow on the weekends at they did not clean my room until well after 3pm on sunday. I dont know when they cleaned it on saturday as i was away doing an all day tour with a company. Also room cleaning seemed to be totally on a whim not a set standard. For example, one day I only got two towels the rest of the days I got three. One day I got chocolates, the rest of the days I did not. One day I literally got my things straightened up for me, the rest of the days I did not. One day I got only lotion replaced, the other 2 days I got nothing replaced and 1 day I got a full replace. i guess it just depends on who you get what day but again seems odd no set standing that cleaning service has to follow.

Do not pay attention to anything it says in the books they provide about hotel amenities omg where do I begin. first, the numbers to call are all wrong. In the book it says to dial 6063 to get room service. Let me tell you for 4 DAYS i tried to get room service and never once did anyone ever answer that line. On day 2 I just pressed the button that said room service and asked to order and was almost rudely told that this was the front desk and i needed to call 6064 to get room service from captain blights bar. Well, that didnt work either as they line was ALWAYS busy i tried from 1pm to 1am no lie, always a busy signal. This further complicated things as again I was forced to go down to Captain blights lest i starve to death.

Second thing from the book is those tv channels DO NOT EXIST!! there was no HBO and there were none of the channels listed in the book. It didnt even seem to be the same cable/satellite company as i know by tv was broadcasting something from miami. I was really disappointed as i couldnt find anything and there were only about 15 available channels.

My room seemed to be missing a lamp from one of the side tables. There are no plugs by the bed except behind a night stand on one side so my ipad was sort of difficult to access.

Internet was $65 for 5 days which sucked for me because the Hilton didnt even prorate it as I only used 4 days but it was less expensive than if I would have paid for 4 days but here is another know before you go. I probably could have gotten away with paying for only 2 days b/c as I stated I was gone the entire day saturday on tour, so I could have just bought internet for $14.95 from 6pm saturday which would have lasted me until 6pm sunday and then again waited and paid for Monday morning to Tuesday when I was leaving and I would have only paid $30. If you suspect you will be away all day try to plan for that. Also I saw signs saying the casino had free wifi, point is there is a better way to do wifi than I did and I wish I had known.

Now for the beaches. I dont really know where all these beautiful beaches comments come from with no mention of how rocky it is!! Curacao itself seems to be very rocky and is definitely morning conducive to exploring fish underwater swimming than standing. I actually hurt my foot the first day trying to navigate those rocks. I dont scuba or snorkel or swim, I just wanted to stand in the water walk around and relax and I couldnt as I had to constantly look for rocks so I wouldnt hurt myself again. This was at the beach right in front of the hotel. The other beach down the path something with a P like Pascara or something was equally rocky but here is my know before you go for the beach. Right before you get to P beach there is a small staircase almost entirely covered in sand very easy to miss, I did until my second to last day, well walk down those stairs and there is a small beach that is much much much much i cant emphasize how much less rocky it is there. Small rocks, but nothing big you have to look out for. If you want to just walk around in the water like me go there.

also in reference to weekends, if the island shuts down on weekends the hotels seem to be going strong. It was so crowded on the weekend. There was wedding which played some awful music and loud until about a little after 11pm on saturday, there were flight crews everywhere, If you suspect this will bother you dont book on the ocean view side but i guess that honestly a small price to pay for an ocean view a few hours of inconvenience.

My air conditioning worked great in my room, no complaints there.

"Business Center" odd not a business center at all. Its the budget rental car office and I went in there thinking I could print out something but no dice. no printer.

Eves Boutique is expensive but if you want some flip flops like i needed give it a go. they only sell Havaianas though cheapest pair being $22.

Also, lot so families, lots of couples, I felt rather odd being there solo, but this resort definitely seems to lean more towards the family side, something else I wish I would have known.

Service at the front desk good, cleaning, luck of the draw there, bar, everyone was professional but you can tell some of the bartenders are just pandering for tips, some could give a damn one way or the other they are just doing there job and some who seem to really enjoy talking to the people and providing good service. Cielo the one man who works there is extremely nice. The girl at Aqua front desk in morning, nice as well.

Im hesitant to say whether the hilton was good or bad as for me this entire thing was just a learning experience. Would I stay here again? Probably not as if I am going to be trapped on a resort, I need more and cheaper food options, I would like comp wifi (or at least cheaper), I would like smooth beaches. I was told the way to go on islands is all inclusive so I will be doing that next time.

Overall, I had a good experience I would say, again there is just a lot I learned, a lot I wish I had known and this is why my review is all about knowing before you go so hopefully I can help someone out like me.

Room Tip: I dont know I had an ocean front room on the third floor. It was too hot to sit and watch the sun...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Came to Curacao for the first time and looved it.
Great beaches, diving and snorkeling point. Cas Abou was my favourite beach.
The Hilton was fantastic. Stayed in a renovated room with great view over the ocean
Executive lounge was a delight. Loved their barbecues nights on the beach!
The new Coffee Shop is also great !
Will definitely come back to this hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Sliema, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed for a week at the end of July - on second floor. The hotel itself needs some refurbishing but we had a lovely large room with the view from the balcony overlooking the sea and no problems with the air conditioner etc. but the room did smell damp all the time. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good although too many birds wanting the food! The beach was clean but not enough umbrellas/shade at the weekend. The pool got quite busy. Snorkeling was excellent, with amazing sea life. The drinks and food in the hotel were quite expensive and we were disappointed that there wasn't local food choices. Also limited options around the hotel . However they do provide an empty fridge so we bought some supplies from the town - there is a free shuttle. No airport shuttle but set rate of $25 dollars. Overall enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Better views the higher up you go and definitely worth paying for the sea view - beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife & I were there 8/9 &8/10. I reserved a room on the executive floor. The room was not ready at 3 check in. When we got in the room, my travel clock told me the room temperature was 80 degrees. I reported this and someone was sent who said it would be better after sunset.
The next morning the temperature was 78 degrees. I brought this to the attention to the front desk. Two hours later I went back and they said the problem was fixed. I got the "fixer" to go to the room and see the temp was 78 degrees. He did nothing.

I got the manager involved and they removed the AC unit to repair it and put it back. There Was no improvement. It was 81 degrees in the room. The hotel does not keep AC units stored in case one fails.

I was offered no consideration for my hassle and sleeping with only a fan in the room. We were here 4 years ago and the AC was poor. My daughter & family live there so we'll go back I have been fooled twice and will go back but to the Marriott.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!