“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Sliema, Malta
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed for a week at the end of July - on second floor. The hotel itself needs some refurbishing but we had a lovely large room with the view from the balcony overlooking the sea and no problems with the air conditioner etc. but the room did smell damp all the time. The staff were really friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good although too many birds wanting the food! The beach was clean but not enough umbrellas/shade at the weekend. The pool got quite busy. Snorkeling was excellent, with amazing sea life. The drinks and food in the hotel were quite expensive and we were disappointed that there wasn't local food choices. Also limited options around the hotel . However they do provide an empty fridge so we bought some supplies from the town - there is a free shuttle. No airport shuttle but set rate of $25 dollars. Overall enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Better views the higher up you go and definitely worth paying for the sea view - beautiful sunsets.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear Tina D,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great that you overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel. I am pleased to read that our renovated rooms were to your liking and you appreciated our staff, beach and snorkeling possibilities. We are glad to provide our guests with a shuttle to the city center but are not able to provide a shuttle to and from the airport due to governmental regulations.
I appreciate your feedback in regards to several improvement points you are mentioning. Concerning the refurbishment, I am glad to inform you that after having completed our room renovations we are in the process of executing further renovations as part of a larger improvement plan of our hotel.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao and also present to you the changes we made until then!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife & I were there 8/9 &8/10. I reserved a room on the executive floor. The room was not ready at 3 check in. When we got in the room, my travel clock told me the room temperature was 80 degrees. I reported this and someone was sent who said it would be better after sunset.
The next morning the temperature was 78 degrees. I brought this to the attention to the front desk. Two hours later I went back and they said the problem was fixed. I got the "fixer" to go to the room and see the temp was 78 degrees. He did nothing.

I got the manager involved and they removed the AC unit to repair it and put it back. There Was no improvement. It was 81 degrees in the room. The hotel does not keep AC units stored in case one fails.

I was offered no consideration for my hassle and sleeping with only a fan in the room. We were here 4 years ago and the AC was poor. My daughter & family live there so we'll go back I have been fooled twice and will go back but to the Marriott.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear 016200,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I regret that we failed to fully meet your expectations of your stay. I understand your frustration and offer you my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced in regards to your AC. I apologize that we did not manage to solve this issues satisfactorily and that you experienced this issue in succession. I would appreciate if you would be kind enough to contact me directly via cedric.nubul@Hilton.com.

Philadelphia, Pa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

The Hilton is over 30 years old & a lot of the furnishings need to be replaced. But the hotel is clean. The AC crapped out on our second day & we were moved to another room, but not upgraded. I forgot I was not in Las Vegas.
Beach is nice, quiet & excellent SCUBA & snorkling. Free exercise room for hotel guests, a definite plus. Dining is OK. Surprisingly, I tried the pizza & it was good, Better than some I have had in the USA. We ate at a lot of local places on the island. Try "De Fles" for the best tenderloin I have ever eaten. A good happy hour at the hotel. The service staff are very nice. Its not a great hotel, but I would return. The casino sucks. The location to town (Punda) is good, but you do need a car for sightseeing. The I-Phone App "WAZE" is good for navigation around the island.
I did run into a few Americans who are students learning hotel management in Curacao for a semester.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear umpire48,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is great to read that you overall enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting our beaches and convenience of our onsite dive shop and snorkeling possibilities. I am glad that you appreciated the service quality at our hotel. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered in regards to your AC but understand that his has been resolved quickly. It is my pleasure to inform you that in the continuous effort of improving our facilities more upgrades will follow on our recently completed room renovations.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao!

Al Jubail, Saudi Arabia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We were there during the off season and found the stay very relaxing. The room was very large with a balcony looking over the water. The grounds were well maintained and peaceful. Free shuttle to the city. Airport shuttle would be a plus.

Dear POPPY-Jubail,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am pleased to read that you fully enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Thank you for complimenting our room sizes and the ocean views to be enjoyed from the balconies. We appreciate your feedback in regards to the shuttle service we provide. Unfortunately we are not able to implement an airport shuttle due to governmental regulations on the island.

We hope to welcome you back for a vacation at the Hilton Curacao!

Kirksville, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

My husband and I are close to 60 and were traveling without any kids along for the first time in about 30 years. We stayed at the Hilton Curacao for 11 nights in June, having chosen it because we had Hilton Honors points to use, and we were able to reserve an ocean front junior suite on the third floor at a very reasonable rate with an upgrade. I agree that the hotel building itself could use some updating, but our room was spacious, immaculate, and the view was amazing! Furthermore, the two beaches on the property were beautiful, and the one nearest the hotel offered the best snorkeling we've ever done, right off the beach! Although the hotel is a bit of a distance from downtown Willemstad, there is a free shuttle every day to and from the Queen's bridge and we found it very convenient to ride in to visit museums and shop by ourselves for 3-4 hours then ride back to the hotel--10 min trip, bringing fresh fruit and cheese from the floating market. We also took lots of tours that we were able to book at the hotel; the tours picked us up and delivered us right on time in the huge open lobby. (The trip to Kleine Curacao was wonderful--we really did snorkel with turtles!) We only used cabs between the hotel and airport, as the hotel offered three options for dining: a deli style place, a nice formal restaurant, and special dinners 3-4 nights a week by the beach bar. There were several excellent restaurants within walking distance (Pirates Bay was our favorite--call for a reservation and get a table right ON the beach!) There is even the ruins of an old fort right by the hotel--how unique is that? Finally, we found the staff to be courteous and very kind. In particular, the ladies in the executive lounge went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and to make sure our stay was enjoyable. Corinne and Donetta (may not be spelling that right, but she's from Jamaica and was just as sweet as she could be) were especially friendly and helpful. We had a wonderful vacation--even got hooked on futbol due to the excitement around the World Cup games while we were there. If you are going to Curacao to stay in a spiffy new hotel building, look elsewhere. But if you want to enjoy beautiful beaches, historic ruins and museums, excellent snorkeling, readily available free transportation for shopping, and ready access to restaurants, ocean sports and numerous tours, all in the safe and friendly environs of a slightly dated hotel at a reasonable price, this is the place for you!

Dear H David W,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read that your stay at our hotel fully met your expectations.
I am glad that you enjoyed our rooms, our beaches and snorkeling possibilities as well as dining options. Indeed, the hotel is built on an old fort as you noticed yourself.
It is great that you could make the best of your stay on the island and appreciated the small details of our resort and Curacao.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao for your next vacation!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

Great location, service of staff needs improvement. Internet in room (additional charge) does not work 4 of 4 rooms in our group were unable to connect except for the lobby (which is free). Security of balcony doors needs to be addressed, no lock, door does not fully close, just a chain to prevent fully opening door. AC was weak at best.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Dear brownells5,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am sorry that we failed to fully meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. I thank you for sharing your comments with us and please rest assured that I have already personally addressed these issues to our executive team to implement immediate corrective measures.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao and meet your expectations the following time!

Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days while visiting for friends' wedding and were shocked with the quality of service here. If you think Hilton would mean quality of hospitality, think again. Indifferent personnel, leaking bathroom ceiling, horrendous spa leaving you damaged for days. Even a nice bay this hotel has for swimming does not justify. You are better off going to nearby Marriott.

Stayed August 2014
Dear inqanta,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor!

It is a disappointment that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced.
As we highly value the feedback we receive from our guests, I would be pleased if you could share more details with me on my personal email : cedric.nubul@hilton.com

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!