“great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Willemstad
wales, United Kingdom
“great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

great location not far from town, beach and pool good rooms best overlooking the beach. wi fi was very good as were the tv channels. the town is nice to visit, we hired a car from the airport and found it was a good deal.not really a lot to see but some good beaches

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Gordon H,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our beach and pool area as well as our convenient location. Thank you for complimenting our recently renovated rooms and highlighting the great ocean view. It is great that you enjoyed the technical facilities offered at our hotel.

We will be glad to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Plantation, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I just got back from here. We arrived at about 4:30. On our conformation reservation our room was supposed to be ready by 3:00. There was a long line/wait to check in. We were told by "Fiona" that our room would be ready shortly and that we could have a complimentary soft drink at the bar. Fast forward almost TWO HOURS later our room was still not ready. At this point I was NOT happy and Fiona was laughing at us. I asked to speak to a manager and another front desk employee pretended to be the manager (I know thus because we did finally speak to the real manager). Poof then we were given a room in a worse location than reserved. My husband spoke to the manager and she did offer to give us a $100.00 credit. Swen the Bellman was very nice and brought us a cheese plate and sparkerling wine. The property and grounds are very nice and the location is great. There is good snorkeling right in front of the hotel! The rooms are nice, cheerful, and all have balconies. The problem is the bar was either blasting the World Cup or bad Miley Cyrus music which completly takes away from the beauty and serenity that the resort could offer. Casino is fine if you are not a big gambler and are just looking to have some fun on slot machines. The food is good not great and can be pricey. You can get half orders of pasta dishes or an appetizer portion of some of the meals. The wait staff is nice but is on island time. The rooms have refrigerators and coffee makers which was great. We had our own happy hour in our room each night! We did walk next door to the Marriott which seemed newer and more expensive. Also the housekeeping is inconsistent. One day we were left chocolates another day our room was never cleaned! I think with a few changes this hotel could be great!
1. Fix your housekeeping issues- that way your rooms will be ready when they are supposed to be!
2. Retrain your front desk, people are on vacation and want to be treated nicely not lied too and mocked!
3. Lower the TV and music at the lounge. People are paying for an oceanfront view to be relaxed and hear the ocean NOT Mikey Cyrus !
4. It should not take 30-45 minutes to get served or checkout of the hotel!
Believe it or not we had a great time here but if you are looking for good service this is not the place for you! If you're looking for a hotel with good amenities, reasonably priced and good location and can put up with the above stay here. Also they have free parking, free nice gym, and great beach towels!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Alice M,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read your complimenting words on the grounds and location of our property. I am glad that you enjoyed the facilities and activities we offer on our property. As we just recently completed the renovations to our rooms, it is great to hear that the new design is to your liking.

I want to thank you for your feedback and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences experienced. Please rest assured that the described issues are being addressed to prevent reoccurrence.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao and provide you with a service level exceeding your expectations next time!

Leon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The hotel itself was nice, but a few problems made for a less than perfect stay. The safe in our room never worked and we were promised day after day that it would be fixed or replaced which it never was. We ended up having to carry around anything valuable with us. The staff in the restaurants were definitely on island-time. It took 20-30 minutes each to get a menu, get served, and get the bill. A lot of times we had to get a waiter's attention for anything. The front desk staff never thanked us when we checked in or out and were less than friendly. I had reserved a room on the Executive Floor which said it included the Executive Lounge breakfast, evening snack and drinks. When I checked in, the lady at the desk tried to tell me I just reserved a room on the executive floor but it didn't include the Executive Lounge. The extra amount I was paying was apparently for just being on the 5th floor! The online reservation system never gave an option of just being on the top floor or including the lounge. She finally gave me the lounge privileges. On the other hand, the staff in the Executive Lounge bent over backwards to help, especially Kareen.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Jenni K,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a disappointment that we failed to fully meet your expectations. We strive every day towards providing excellent service to all our customers and exceed their expectations. Please accept my sincerest excuses for the inconveniences you encountered in regards to the non-working safe and service you were provided with.
On the other hand it is a great reward to read that you were more than satisfied with the service received in our Executive Lounge. It is a pleasure to share your positive words with Kareen. I am also glad to be able to inform you that we are currently in the process of upgrading the safes in our rooms.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao to exceed your expectations during your next stay!

Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

My wife and I have stayed here five times in the last seven years; the hotel is always a mixed bag. First, let me say that keeping a property in the tropics well maintained is not easy. Heat, humidity, and critters make things hard. That said, the property has gone up and down over the years. It is better than it was a few years back.

1. The snorkeling off the beaches (there are two) is excellent. The snorkeling on Curacao is excellent over all, and is the chief reason we keep coming back to Curacao.

2. Food. This was the biggest disappointment, bar none The restaurants have become VERY expensive. I live in Washington DC and don't pay $30+ for a plate of pasta here. Why, on an island where a lunch for two people (with beer!) costs $10 (off the Hilton property) would I pay over $30 for some mediocre pasta?

The prices here are comparable to the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki; this is completely unreasonable.

I am not kidding, just check online (see: http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/dining). The prices at Cielo are equal or more than the high-end Bali on Waikiki (except the food is better in Honolulu). The Hilton on Waikiki also has other restaurant choices for lunch or dinner that cost much less. Finally, don't be fooled into thinking that the Aqua restaurant in Curacao is "the low end dinner restaurant;" it is only open for breakfast.

There is a reason that every night the hotel restaurants were empty and the bar was busy with people ordering off the bar menu. The bar menu had decent food at a more reasonable price.

The hotel's management should know they have a problem when families with kids playing games on an iPad or using coloring books are sitting at the bar next to a guy with a cigar.

3. The Executive Lounge, while it has a great view, it has been refurbed with halogen lights and AC units that simply cannot keep up with the heat from the sun and the new halogen bulbs. It looks great, but the temperature in the late afternoon is always near 90. So ... replace the halogen bulbs with LEDs (or turn them off) and either install some better windows or put sun film on the SINGLE PANE PLATE GLASS windows!!!

4. The Executive Lounge staff were a mixed bag. Karen and the short thin girl in morning were wonderful, pleasant, and efficient. It was always a pleasure to see them. Mary (sp?, long name) who worked on some evenings was lazy, never cleaned up (except when management dropped by to show someone the Executive Lounge for a wedding), and spent her time writing emails on the hotel's computer, playing games on her phone, and generally ignoring anyone.

5. Housecleaning. Again, a mixed bag. We stayed for a week beginning on a Sunday. The first three days our room was either not cleaned (once) or wasn't cleaned until after 430pm ... which is just crazy. The rest of the time the maid was in and out before 1pm, left chocolate, etc. Completely inconsistent.

6. Maintenance. For several years, the AC would always struggle. Then ... they cleaned the AC units and it was much better. I think it is probably time to clean the units again.

Also, the AC unit in our room started leaking, completely saturating the ceiling tile in the bathroom. I reported this. Twice. No one came.

7. The front desk staff and the bar staff are ... and over the years always have been ... cheerful, friendly, and courteous.

8. The tennis courts are in much better repair than they have been in the past.

9. The gym is in decent repair; all the machines work.

I stay at Hilton properties 30+ times a year, and have stayed at 60+ properties. Overall, this hotel is clearly in the bottom half. However ... the snorkeling is wonderful.

Room Tip: Pay for an ocean view room. The "Garden View" rooms overlook the parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tim G,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pleasure to read that you are a returning guest to our property. Thank you for complimenting the friendliness of our staff as well as the condition of our fitness area and facilities. I appreciate your positive comments in regards to the consistent friendliness of our staff and am glad to share your kind words specifically with Kareen and Petcha from the Executive Lounge.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconsistency and inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I appreciate your feedback as it allows us to identify some possible areas of improvement. Please rest assured that your suggestions were discussed within the management team to implement immediate corrective action.

We hope to welcome you again at the Hilton Curacao in the future to provide you with an experience as wonderful as our onsite snorkeling!

Houston, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Arrived at 1500 hrs, room was not ready for check in until 1700 hrs. The next day returned to room at 1900 hrs and room had not yet been cleaned/made up. Very basic hotel facilities/amenities. Attached casino must be at least 30+ years old. Very dark/dank with outdated slots. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Jim Bob F,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a disappointment to learn that we could not meet your expectations of your stay. Please accept my sincerest excuses for the inconveniences you experienced in regards to your check-in and the lacking maid service. It is a pity that you did not like our hotel facilities. I want to thank you for your feedback, which will assist us in improving our service and facilities.

Chino, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I love Hiltons, but this one was disappointing. The Marriott next door was much nicer and had better facilities. Overall, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again. The room wasn't clean, towels had hairs and toilets don't flush.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear Vanessa H,

Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pity that we were not able to fully meet your expectations of your stay. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you experienced. The incidents you are describing do in no way reflect the high standards we are striving for at our hotel. I want to thank you for your feedback and assure you that I brought these points to the attention of the respective department.

Despite the fact that your expectations were not met this time, I hope we will receive the opportunity in the future to surprise you with excellent service quality as you are used to at other Hilton hotels.

Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Judging by my room the last major renovation was completed in the early 90's. Since then time and neglect have eroded what could be a nice destination hotel. Infrastructure would be the first place to start then hiring some additional staff. Throughout the 4 days I was there I saw so many instances of bird walking across tables and stealing food from tables and buffets that I did not eat from them afterwards. Uncleared tables sat for too long allowing the birds to feed at will.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Reid C,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

It is a pity to read that we could not fully meet your expectations of your hotel stay! Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced. I am disappointed to read that our recently completed renovations of all our rooms were not to your taste. I thank you for your feedback. It is a valuable asset for us to identify possible areas of improvement.

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!