“Beautiful island!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 29 Hotels in Willemstad
Huntington Beach, California
“Beautiful island!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We stayed at the Hilton in Curaçao and although it is a bit dated you honestly have to remember it is the Caribbean, the rates are good and there are way more positives then negatives. We had ocean side rooms and that is a must. The restaurant and bar downstairs is well maintained and has a great happy hour. The food is very good too. Curaçao is a great island to shore dive/snorkel and you can do it right out in front of the resort. You must rent a car! We had to park in the parking lot every night and had no problems. There is a lot of petty crimes here so we were a bit nervous with the car but it was fine. The pool was fine with killer sunsets at night. My boyfriend, brother and I found our new favorite drink there it is the Mint Mohito and they make it at the bar (great deal at happy hour). We got to know the entire staff during this trip and really do not have any complaints. Unfortunately there is a great hotel (which I won't name) literally a short walk away that is so awesome!! But you will pay for it. The Hilton is a good deal for your dollar. I also found no language barrier issues but when we did around the island we loved it. The accent and local traditions are so cool. The water here is amazing and on all beaches they have full bar service!!! The food around town is some of the best I have ever had on vacation. We did not want to leave :)

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear MichPz,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel in all regards. Thank you for complimenting our restaurant and bar and highlighting the great snorkeling possibilities at our beaches. It is great that you were able to enjoy local tradition and experience the highlights Curacao has to offer.

We hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao to help you create even more unforgettable experiences on this beautiful island!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Schaumburg, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

In early March I spent 9 nights at the Hilton Curacao. I was looking forward to my Caribbean vacation for quite some time as the weather in Chicago has been horrible this winter. The arrival at the hotel met my expectations. The staff was friendly and gave us the information we needed for our late night arrival. I was excited to get upgraded to a junior suite for the entire length of our stay even though we booked with points for a majority of it. However, that is where things started to go downhill.

When taking a shower the first morning I noticed that the light above the shower didn't work. We stopped at the front desk to ask about getting that fixed and they indicated they would get engineering to look into it. We arrived back at our room later that day to find our concern hadn't been addressed.

Early on in our stay the fire alarm sounded around 11pm. It was going on for quite some time so we evacuated the room and waited with others until it was 'all clear'. After heading back up to our room and getting settled back in the alarm sounded yet again. So, we proceeded back down the stairs and this time headed out towards the lobby bar. If we're going to be inconvenienced on vacation we might as well enjoy a better atmosphere. We hung out down there for a while after the alarm quieted down and eventually went back to bed without further incident. The management did put a note under the door during the overnight hours explaining it was a false alarm and they had corrected the issue.

A couple days later we were out getting some lunch and as we were walking down the hallway returning to our room and noticed our door was open and heard voices inside. There was a hotel representative in our room with what appeared to be a vendor for bug control. They mentioned that they were just looking for bugs. We were not told about this visit in advance, nor did they have anything they were leaving behind to explain that they had been in the room. I find this very inconsiderate as we could have had items left out in our room that we otherwise would not have if we known there was going to be maintenance work in our room. While they were leaving I mentioned that we had asked to have our shower light fixed a couple days ago and it still hadn't been addressed. The Hilton representative said he would send a repair person over. Given our experience with customer service on the island thus far, I didn't think I would see anybody any time soon. I decided I wanted to go to the beach and started to change into my swimsuit. The maintenance person walked RIGHT INTO MY ROOM WITHOUT KNOCKING OR WAITING FOR AN ANSWER!!!! I started yelling to not come in - because at that point I was naked. He kept trying to tell me that he was just with maintenance and he was going to fix the light. I don't think this English was all that great because I kept replying "I understand, but you can not come in the room right now". I told him to give me five minutes. He eventually shut the door and left. Once I was dressed I called the front desk and explained what happened (they didn't apologize for the intrusion) and said somebody would be up soon. I waited for 15 minutes and when nobody arrived I called back down again and they said they would send someone right up. At this point, I didn't want to waste my time waiting for a maintenance man that wouldn't show up so I left. As expected, the light was not fixed at all during the duration of my 9 night stay despite repeated requests.

On the surface, the hotel seemed to be maintained decently, but as I started to look more and more I realized that minimum standards were not even maintained. For example, the tile part of the floor near the elevator was dirty the entire duration of my stay. The carpet in the hallway was very dirty as was the carpet in the Executive Lounge. And, to top it off - the day after they came through to check for bugs we saw a cockroach in our room. Up until that point we hadn't seen anything more than a mosquito nearby. The shower floor was very dirty throughout our stay. The tile was stained and the grout was filthy. It seems that since the renovation there hasn't been any upkeep on the property. I was very disappointed.

As a frequent traveler I have come to expect a certain level of customer service at Hilton hotels and was disappointed on this trip. While at the lobby bar we were ignored for about 3 minutes even though one of the staff was talking to another person and saw us sit down. We didn't even get a "be right with you". I found that to be more the norm than the exception on the island as a whole, but thought that Hilton would have higher standards.

There were a couple of staff members in the Executive Lounge that did go above and beyond to make us feel welcomed and that was appreciated. However, the rest of the lounge was disappointing. When visiting the lounge there were almost never any plates available as the staff had to hand wash all the dishes/glassware/silverware. And, when they would run out of some of the food items it would take 20-30 minutes to have it replenished. Considering the lounge was only open for 2 hours in the evening this caused us to arrive and depart without the benefit of the main snack many nights.

Thankfully, no mediocre level of service or shabby upkeep can ruin the magnificent views from the balcony of my room or from the beach. Those were definitely the highlights of my trip. When I return to Curacao it is unlikely I will choose to stay at the Hilton, especially considering the nightly rate charged at this property. I have stayed twice at the Hilton in Nassau and their level of service and upkeep was what I expected here.

I copied this text from an email I sent to the main Hhonors email and Diamond Desk over a week ago and haven't received a reply from either to date. For the first time in 7 years as a Diamond member, I feel I was let down by Hilton.

Room Tip: If you aren't facing the ocean, you won't have much to look at.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear Tania W,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay on Tripadvisor!

As expressed in an email to you personally I apologize for any inconveniences you experienced during your stay and hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao to exceed your expectations next time!

Cedric Nubul - General Manager
Sparks, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

This hotel appears to be very beautiful at one time, but is very dated. Some upgrades have been done, but it is not as modern as some other properties on the island. The HVAC system is outdated & did not cool as cold as I prefer. The business center computers are in the coffee shop and is not private- not very work friendly.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Randy Y,

Thank you for sharing your feedback of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I highly regret that we could not meet the expectations you had of your stay. We generally receive very positive feedback about our newly renovated rooms, wherefore I regret to have not been able to satisfy your needs in this regards. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay.

I hope to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao so we can contribute in a stay which meets your expectations.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Pros:
- Huge pool and two private beaches with ample chairs always available (walk down the pathway past the pool and mini put to go find the second "hidden" beach.)
- Friendly staff (by Curacao standards... which keep in mind are different than standards you'd expect in other vacation destinations like Dominican Republic or Mexico.)
- Gorgeous ocean view from the balcony of our room with an incredible sunset.
- Food & drinks were delicious (ordered "take out" from the bar and took it up to our room and also sipped frozen cocktails by the pool.)

Cons:
- Housekeeping was a miss (basics covered but zero attention to detail in the cleaning of the room.)
- Lots of noise woke me up early on my sleep-in day (renovations were being completed on the floor above.)
- Room was renovated but not in the best state of repair (things must have been done cheaply, because handles were falling off etc.)
- Location (this hotel is near the world trade center, but not near anything else... you will have to rent a car or get a taxi or take the hotel shuttle to get downtown.)

General: I have stayed at four rental properties and three hotels in Curacao and have lots to compare to. I would not choose this Hilton again with other options available.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear ivp27,

Thank you for taking your time to review your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am glad to read that you enjoyed our beach and pool facilities and the culinary offers we provide at our hotel. It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the ocean view of our hotel rooms and took note of the friendliness of our staff.

As I come to notice that you have visited our hotel during the times of renovation, I would like to sincerely apologize for any disturbances and inconveniences you might have experienced during this time. As for now, all of our rooms are completely renovated, meeting highest standards in equipment and cleanliness.

We hope to see you back at our hotel again so you can convince yourself about the positive effects of our renovation.

Highlands Ranch, Co
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We are a retired couple who travel extensively. For this trip, we have our daughter and her family with us. We are all Hilton Diamond members and did quite a bit of research before choosing this hotel. We have found that the majority of the negative reviews on Tripadvisor for this property are from folks who do not travel very much, so they do not have many comparisons. Our registration went very smoothly and we were greeted by exceptionally friendly people. The Bellman who brought us up to our room on the 5th (Executive) floor was very helpful with an overview of the property. We found our renovated room to be great. There are no moldy smell and there is no mold in the bathroom. Our room is very clean and well appointed. The HVAC allows us to set the temp in our room to our liking and is quiet. The walk-in shower is very nice. Lighting throughout the room is good. Linens are high quality and the four large pillows on the King bed are very good. Flat-screen TV has lots of channels. There is a safe in the closet for valuables. Our balcony looks out to the beach, pools, and ocean. We have had our breakfasts in the Executive Lounge every morning and have found good choices and availability each day. In the evenings, the Happy Hour is great. Ourevening hostess, Kareen, is one of the best assets for this hotel. She has gone overboard to give us local information and has treated us as family. We see groundskeepers all day working hard to keep trash and leaves off the beach and walkways. If smokers would not throw their cigarette butts on the beach, that problem would be solved. Occasionally we hear noises from outside at night, but the noise always quiets down early in the evening. No problem! We have eaten at all three restaurants on property and have had good experiences. Prices are what I would say is maybe $$ in the USA for similar restaurants. They are comparable to what we found in Rome and in Hawaii at resorts. The beach BBQ restaurant is our favorite for lunch. Service has been excellent as has been the food. Cielo’s is the hotel’s Italian restaurant. Prices range from about $22 – 39 for entrees. Bar prices are what we find just about anywhere we travel. We did walk over to the Marriott next door for dinner at their Seaside Bar and Grill and their menu and prices were similar to those here at the Hilton. My review sounds like I might be a Hilton employee or relative. Nope! Just a person who travels a lot and is able to take a critical look at properties where we stay. The only two things we all agree would be a good addition to this property are a gift shop with Sundries and Ice Cream, and bar service that comes to the chairs by the pools and beach. Other than these things…no complaints whatsoever. We would definitely come for another week. We did rent a car on our second day here and rented it at the National Car Rental Counter at the Marriott. It was cheaper than renting it here by about $100 for five days. Driving in Curacao is interesting. There aren’t as many street signs as we’re used to so we’ve done quite a few U-turns! The Dutch influence here is one of quiet friendliness. We will be back and we’ll stay at the Hilton again!

Room Tip: High floor, ocean view, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear mumsie2u,

First of all I would like to thank you for your extensive review about your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am delighted to read about all your positive comments on our hotel. Thank you for praising our facilities and service provided by our staff. I am pleased to pass on your kind words to Kareen. As the renovations of our hotel rooms were just recently completed, it is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed the new design and facilities of our rooms. I also want to thank you for making suggestions for improvement. I am glad to announce that we are in the implementation process of introducing ice cream at our beach bar and are working on establishing service at the beach.

We are looking forward to welcome you back at the Hilton Curacao during your next stay!

Wilmington, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We went for our honeymoon and spent 7 days. Arrived at airport and took forever to find a ride to the hotel. Food was way too expensive. We were in room 505. The champagne and cheese plate that waited for us was rancid and warm. YUCK. The view was beautiful. The beach and the water were nice. But as for eating, make sure you budget a ton of money. At the hotel or anywhere else. And be careful where you eat. My husband and I got extremely sick the last three days of our stay. The hotel room smelled like body odor and the whole island has a gross smell. Along with employees and taxi drivers bathing in cologne to cover up their stench. Oh and if you order a fountain Coke it is like $3.50 US and guess what? You have to pay for refills on your small glass. And the beers come in mini sized bottles. And would they spring for some bottled water? Nope...tap water all the way. They were prompt to bring us more towels and toilet paper. But when I asked for conditioner and body wash that the house keeper forgot to leave she came up and barged in the room to inspect that we really didn't get the conditioner and body wash. Then she said they were out of body wash and brought me two half empty bottles from another customers room. Oh and the shampoo and conditioner sucked. I had to use an entire bottle to try to detangle my long long hair. We were super disappointed and sad that we could only fly out on Saturdays. Because we would have gladly paid to get out of there after day 3. And you have to pay $39 per person to leave their country. I did a bunch of research and didn't find any negative reviews of this place. GOD I wish some more people would be honest. And the 48 mile long island is so freaking dirty. YUCKY GROSS. Blah. Make sure to rent a car so you can get around with being raped by taxis. And there are bushaultes (bus stops) everywhere but we never could get a bus to pick us up??? And there is a really big Super Market that you can stock up on staples off the main drag headed towards West Punte. I suggest you get food, water and supplies from there. Because $28 for sunscreen at the hotel is insane.

Room Tip: Definitely stay on the executive suites floor (5th floor) take advantage of the executive suite. f...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Cedric N, General Manager at Hilton Curacao, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Sharklover420,

Thank you for taking your time to share your experiences at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

Please let me use this moment to congratulate you to your recent wedding and thank you for choosing the Hilton Curacao to spend your honeymoon at. I am glad that you enjoyed the view and beaches of our hotel.

I want to express to you my sincerest apologies that your experiences were not in line with your expectations. It is a disappointment that you were not able to enjoy the small honeymoon surprise we sent to your room due to the wrong timing. Please feel free to contact me personally via cedric.nubul@hilton.com in order to provide me with further details so we can address the issues you encountered properly.

Even though the island and our hotel did not meet your expectations this time, I would be pleased to welcome you again at the Hilton if you decide to visit Curacao again.

Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed in Curaçao for many times but now staying at the Hilton made the difference. The location and service are the best. We were in a city view room and like Hilton Gold Members, we asked for an upgrade… Wow, we had the best room of the Hotel with spectacular view! Both rooms are spacious, well appointed and very, very clean. The staff are all friendly and helpful - special thanks for Esther and Fiona! The restaurants and bars are a bit expensive but plenty of healthy dishes and the Beach Bar BBQs, very good. The Executive Lounge, that we had for free, gave us nice and lots of options breakfasts and happy hours all days. Really this Hilton is a true Hilton! The Hotel has two beaches: nice, crystal clear and well appointed, plenty of chairs and parasol. Nothing more to say about this Hilton, except thanks for these wonderful days in Curaçao…

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms!
Dear aasr81,

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your stay at our hotel on Tripadvisor!

I am grateful to read that you truly enjoyed your time at our hotel. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our food selection available at the different outlets and the Executive Lounge. As we just recently completed the renovations of all of our rooms, it is a great pleasure to hear that you liked the design. Our staff is always striving to make every guest feel welcomed and appreciated, wherefore I will be pleased to share your positive comments with Esther and Fiona.

We would be more than glad to accommodate you again at the Hilton during your next stay in Curacao!

Cedric Nubul – General Manager

Been to Hilton Curacao? Share your experiences!