I've stayed at lots of Marriotts--I had my wedding reception at a Marriott and wound up with a ton of Marriott reward points so I started looking into Marriott locations in the Caribbean for our honeymoon, which is how I found this hotel. We split our time between this hotel and the Hotel Kura Hulanda (much preferred the Kura Hulanda--I did a review of that hotel on July 21st)
The people are very nice although not as refined as some other hotels.
The hotel is right on the beach.
The lobby is very nice--and the view from the lobby out over the pool and ocean is beautiful. Just like it looks in the pictures.
There are straw huts on the beach with bar service. A nice option so you can have some shade.
Breakfast in the mornings was good--option to do a buffett or order individual entrees.
The Emerald Lounge is a great place for a few drinks, and seems to be recently renovated.
There's a Hertz car rental place in the lobby.
The rooms are dated--the hotel is older and was probably taken over by Marriott in recent years. It seems they've renovated some areas but not others. We had an oceanfront room on the second floor. The bathroom fixtures looked straight out of 1970. The patio furniture on our balcony was broken. The room was clean, just dated. The bedding looked newer, however.
The beach is narrow in front of the majority of the hotel and is next to a public beach.
The beach bar needs to be updated (which I believe they plan on doing soon). The restaurant where breakfast is served almost needs to be updated as well. Again, it looks like an older hotel in some areas.
We did the all-inclusive plan for food and drinks which was a mistake. We've been to other all inclusive hotels (where the only choice was to do an all inclusive plan) that have more restaurants, so we were kind of spoiled about that. More restaurants, the better when doing an all inclusive. By day 5 we were pretty sick of the food options. All the restaurants on-site were good, but not great. Also, because this was an all-inclusive plan (as opposed to the whole hotel being all inclusive) some of the waitstaff was not sure what was included and what was not--there are some restrictions (for instance, lobster entrees were not supposed to be included; I think some top shelf liquor was not supposed to be included), but if you asked the employees they rarely knew what was included and what was not. Also, because the waitstaff doesn't know which guests are on the all-inclusive plan and which are not, you get the strange feeling like you're stiffing them on the tip. As part of the all-inclusive plan, we already paid their tips, but they didn't necessarily know that, so we felt funny about not leaving one. So we kind of wound up tipping everyone twice.
Lastly, it's almost all Americans staying at this hotel, not surprisingly. At some of the other hotels, there's a bit more diverisity and culture.
I do highly recommend renting a car and driving around the island. There are so many great beaches--Porto Marie, Westpunt and Knip to name a few. Go to Hook's Hut, which is pretty close to the Marriott--good for drinks, food and watching the sunset.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Bay Casino are located directly on a private beach in Willemstad, Curacao. Spend your days basking in the sun at our resort pool or beach, or experiencing all history and adventure Curacao has to offer through our on site Tour and Car Rental desk. Once the sunsets, you will experience amazing dining by sea at our beachfront restaurant Seabreeze. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Marriott, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Despegar.com, getaroom.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Hotel Willemstad
- Curacao Marriott Beach Resort And Emerald Casino
- Marriott Willemstad
- Curacao Marriott Beach Hotel Emerald
- Marriott Curacao
- Willemstad Marriott
- Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino Willemstad