“Inside information before you go” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino

Save Saved
You added Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino to your Saves list
Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   John F Kennedy Boulevard, Piscadera Bay, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
30% Off in Paradise
Ranked #5 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
CA
“Inside information before you go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2005

I have used four other hotels/accomodations in the past and this hotel is overall the best one on the island.
Nice rooms but do not accept a room on the first floor (a friend had his laptop taken on the first day by someone who entered the room by shaking the door so the security pin fell out). Safe in the room must be used to safe guard your lap top etc. Portofino rest. was excellent, beach bar for lunch was boring after a few days with a limited menu, go the Deli in the lobby for a nice selection. Breakfast was a low point, waffles felt like a hockey puck, oat meal like cream of wheat, cornbeef was mush. Needs improvement. Hotel did a great job with mosquitoe abatement fogging daily. Excellent staff, very helpful.
Diving is ok but no where near the experince etc of Habitat. We did mostly beach dives on the West end where the diving is great. Check out Alice in Wonderland, Playa Lugun, Jerimi and Varsenbai.
As a seasoned diver I am not sure I will return to any of these Dutch islands because of the Holloway disappearance. Locals think these things happen anywhere, next time, I will spend my time and money in Mexico or Costa Rica.

Stayed November 2005

1,807 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2005

My Husband and I went to Curacao for our honeymoon on October 12th. We were there for one week and we stayed at the Marriott hotel. The hotel is so beautiful, specially the beach. We had a view of the beach from our room. We would order room services and eat it on the balcony as we watched the beautiful beach view. Our room was very clean and spacious. The pool was wonderful, and the food was pretty good too. Except for the Italian restaurant that is on the resort. The Italian restaurant was too pricy and if you have had real Italian food you would know that this was definitely not a good restaurant. Other than that the resort was really pretty and relaxing. There was not too much to do on the Island though. And the food was not that great. We were really expecting to eat some real Island food, and dance to some fun Island music, but there was none of that. So we spent most of the time on the resort and vegged out on the beach. But I think that if you are an adventurous couple and want to do a lot of site seeing, this is not the Island for you. But if you want to just veg out and lay out on the beach, this is one of the most beautiful Islands I have ever been to.

Cape Cod
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2005

My husband and I picked Curacao because it was outside the hurricane belt and we wanted a unique experience for our honeymoon.

Let me start out by when we first got to Curacao. Hopefully you will have a package that includes transportation because they charge quite a bit ($20.00 from the airport and it was only a 10-15 minute drive) It seemed anywhere you went it was expensive to get a taxi. However when we arrived at the hotel and walked up the stairs it took are breath away. The view is amazing. You immediately see the pool with the swim up bar and in the distance see the endless ocean. Picturesque. Wasn't thrilled with are first room; 192 which was right after the public beach (the end of the hotel, basically) but we were excited to be there so after dropping are stuff off we immediately went to the pool to take a swim and order a drink from the swim up bar. Loved the frozen strawberry daquiries. They went down quite easily. Clinton was great, very friendly and funny bartender as well as Edwin, amazing service with a smile the whole time we were there.

Let me now list the rest other positives of the Marriot.
1)snorkeling was awesome at the beach, yes it is very rocky but as mentioned in numerous other reviews just get the water shoes and your fine) we saw trumpet fish, beautiful bright blue, yellow and purple fish and lots others) sorry I don't know the names but it was so cool. You don't even have to swim out that far to see them. You are able to rent the snorkel gear from the pool area 1/2 day was $9.00 which you can charge to your room.

2)I agree with the previous review about the beach bbq. It was very romantic sitting 5 feet from the water with the soothing music in the background. We also had the Carribean Buffet. Loved it! Also many days we had the delicious creamy ice cream in the Voila Deli. Which was quite refreshing on a hot day. Make sure to get reservations for Porto Fino because one night we tried to go and it was an hour wait so we opted for the lounge. There was a wait for are food but it was GREAT. The pizza and pasta was delish! (which you can also get at the deli) Also the breakfast buffets were pretty good.

3)The van was convenient that the hotel provided it brings you in to town at 9am to 12pm and 2pm and 6pm. Make sure to call early that morning (like 7am because it gets full quickly)

4)Our second room 288 was a GREAT improvement. Better view and just feel safer on an upper level. (not right next to the public beach) We had no problems changing rooms from the staff.

5)They had a daily program flyer that they put on your door. Also in the hotel lobby there is a person on staff that helps you book the different activities on the island. (there's also list on a chalk board, Jeep tours, horseback riding, aquarium, etc.)

6)the crowd varied at the Marriot from honeymooners, to a few kids, to an older crowd. No complaints. It was still tropical and relaxing.

7) enjoyed feeding the lizards rolls at the hotel. They come right off the bushes.

Now let me list the positives of Curacao as a whole.
1)All the restaurants we went to were great. I HIGHLY recommend La Bistro Clouchard (french/European) It is in Wilmstead right to the right of where the van drops you off. Awesome service and delicous food. We got filet mignon with bernaise sauce it was so moist and tender. For dessert I got Creme brulee. Yum! It was my husbands birthday and he got chocolate mousse. They had written happy birthday with chocolate sauce on the plate and sang to him. Also the view was spectacular. Very romantic. we ate outside by the water that overlooked the colorful buildings of Wilmsted. It was nice to hear the surf crashing against the wall. (it is pricey but worth it) I would go back in a heart beat. Another place recommended by the taxi driver was Grill King. This is MUCH more affordable. You have to take the ferry across (bridge is being repaired and should be fixed by March they say) and its to the right behind the Crowne Plaza hotel. Very relaxing, we
went during the day. It overlooks the Pacific. Great ocean view.

2)went the the aquarium. There doing alot of construction there but I had a great time swimming with the dolphins and looking at the exhibits throughtout the aquarium. Starfish, sea cucumbers that you can pick up) My husband opted to do the encounter with the Sea lion and liked it.

3)Ostrich farm. Although it is a little out of the way. It was an interesting experience. (especially feeding them, strong birds I tell ya!)

Dislikes:
It does get humid and make sure you bring your bug spray. Got lots of mesquito bites.

Didn't enjoy the shopping experience in the town. Very pushy. If you've been to Mexico you know what I mean.

Casinos there are very small and I didn't care so much for the staff at the Marriot Casino. Weird how you can only stand on one end when playing craps. Not like Vegas. But then again the casinos aren't the main draw.

WEAR SUNBLOCK. I got fried at the Marriot beach. My own fault of course but i'm still peeling and we left on 10/31/05. I fell asleep because I was so relaxed. Be prepared to see some topless older woman. Apparently it is acceptable in some cultures. Honestly not a big deal. NOT common happenings.

my husband went to Blue Bay golf course (I think it's called) he said it was just ok. Pricey.

We went on the boat to go snorkeling off the beach. It wasn't that great to tell you the truth I saw more fish right off the beach. But the staff was friendly and it was a nice boat ride.

Overall we would DEFINITELY go again. The weather was about 80's the whole time and was especially nice when there was a breeze. I still want to explore the other beaches on the island. (I heard they were similaur to Arubas with the white sand) The water was very warm but salty. Marriot by far was the nicest hotel that I saw. (I checked out the Hilton, Breezes and Crowne Plaza) Marriot is #1 in my opinion.

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2005

My boyfriend and I just got back from an 8 night stay at the Curacao Marriott. I'd give the entire vacation and 8 out of 10...Here's why.

First the good
1. Everyone at the resort is genuinely friendly. From the front desk, to bell hop, waiters and casino staff, everyone we dealt with were great and very accommodating. We stayed at the Ritz in Jamaica last year and felt the people were just as friendly here. Friendly does not necessarily mean perfect service (service can be slow, but you're on vacation so relax).

2. The food was surprisingly good. Portofino can get a little old after 3 or 4 days, but on Wed and Sun they have beach bbqs which were very romantic and alot of fun. You literally sit at a table right where the surf laps up. We also ate at Hook's Hut and Ft Nassau. Both were pretty good, but the view from Ft Nassau can be spoiled by the landfill below (See "Then the Ugly")

3. The rooms were clean, bright and nice as a whole. Not luxurious, but definitely comfortable. Rm 250 was great and close to the pool/restaurants.

4. Friday night at the Emerald lounge is a lot of fun. Just watching the Cuban band and the great Salsa dancers is great entertainment. Have Guillermo make you a mojito.

5. If you drink at all, the all inclusive option is the best value for your money. Having a few drinks by the pool and at the lounge add up quick. I drank Grey Goose all week and it was included.

Then the bad
1. The breach is rocky, but you can get water shoes from the snorkel hut by the pool. We saw some people at the pool with some pretty messed up feet from the coral/rocks at the beach.

2. Taxis other than at the hotel, are hard to come by. If you go to Punda or Otrabanda to shop or to a restaurant off the resort, make sure to get a card from your driver and have the shop or restaurant call to have them pick you up when you are ready.

Then the Ugly
1. Unless you venture around to other parts of the island, the area close to the Marriott is industrial. This isn't necessarily a terrible thing, but if you are not expecting to see an oil refinery on your way from the airport to your hotel, you may be not so pleasantly surprised. You can also smell the refinery sometimes depending on which way the wind is blowing. Also, if you stay on the east side of the Marriott be warned that you may have a view of the salination plant. Knowing this, we requested the west side of the resort, but upon arrival we were given room 292. The MOST EASTERN room in the resort. Beside the view of the plant, when we walked out of our room, we had a nice view of the public beach parking lot and the barbed wire fence that separates it from the Marriott. Needless to say, we changed rooms the next day.

Warrior, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2005

We just returned home after 7 days of pure paradise. The staff at the Marriott, especially bartenders Edwin and Sonny, were absolutely great. We went on the all inclusive plan, which was great for us. We never worried about anything. The service in all the restaraunts were great as well as the food. The island was the most beautiful place I have ever been. The water was unbelieveable. Curacao is my new favorite place, and I would go back in a heatbeat. As a matter of fact, we are already thinking of returning next year. I would recommed the island of Curacao and the Marriott to anyone who wanted to just chill on the most beautiful water on earth.

Dixon, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2005

We have some mixed feelings about the Marriott property on Curacao.

On the positive side, the pool area was wonderful, the food was good, the food and drinks were priced reasonably (for a resort), and the staff at the pool and restaurants were great.

On the negative side, we were kicked out of our pool chair one afternoon because of a "large corporate group", we were awakened at 10:30 PM in the evening with fireworks being shot off of our building, our toliet was broken, the bathroom smelled of cigars, and we had some minor personal items missing from our room.

We spoke with one of the managers, Freddy, and he was very apologetic. Our ocean view room was $150 which I think was a fair price for this property. Overall we had a good time at the resort, but it was definetely not 5 star. We have read so many positive comments on this board that I think we were expecting too much.

We have more pictures and a full trip report on our sunnytripreports web site. Would we return the to the Marriott Curacao? Probably not. Although it is one of the nicer places on the island.

Richmond, Va
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Marriott in curacao. Overall, we had a lovely time. We choose the hotel because it was the top-rated hotel on the beach. Some things I noted, though: beware of standing water at the base of the stairs and patios. I slipped and fell pretty hard at the base of the stairs because of the water. For an older person, the fall could have been very bad. Also, during a heavy rainstorm, out room began leaking. The front desk said we were not the only room to have that problem.

We stayed in one of the nicest rooms there. The room itself was fine, but not luxurious. It was clean, though, and we had a patio overlooking the beach. I would recommend requesting this sort of room, as some don't have patios, but look like they do.

We chose the all-inclusive option. The food was very good, but there is really only one nice restaurant (there is another ne with good food, but is outdoors with only a few tables). The others are a deli, a lounge with no real menu, and a cafe that is open for breakfast only.

The positive side: the staff is outstanding and the spa is quite nice! All are friendly, and the hotel is clean and has a beautiful lobby. It's perfect for a nice vacation, but if you are looking for a honeymoon spot or luxury, look elswhere.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino? Share your experiences!