“Absolutely wonderful hotel, just not our room!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino

You added Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino to your Saves list
Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   John F Kennedy Boulevard, Piscadera Bay, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
San Francisco
“Absolutely wonderful hotel, just not our room!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

Recently stayed at the Marriott Hotel in June 2009. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous! You can see the beach from the pool and it was great that the hotel had its own private beach. The staff was great and all the hotel restaurants also had good food and great service. Our room was just ok -- it definitely needed an update and the bathroom looked old (and therefore, dirty) to me. But we were only there for 3 nights so we decided to just live with it. Otherwise, good hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Just got back from a great honeymoon. Our goal was to go someplace warm and just relax. This was the perfect spot. We had all-inclusive so it made staying in one spot easy. We made sure when we checked in that we were all-inclusive. We went to town one day and ate at Hooks Hut for dinner another day, otherwise we stayed at the hotel. It was great.

Pool: The pool was great. It has little nooks jutting off the main pool where you can sit and cool off and seems like your own private mini-pool. The "Sea Breeze" pool bar is nice to swim up to for a great drink.

Beach: The sand on the beach is soft with only a few small shells or coral here and there. The ocean off the beach is definatly rocky, but just bring water shoes and you'll be fine. I went snorkling once and the fish variation and amount were great. You just have to swim out a little towards the rock shelters and see many. The "Board Room" beach bar is fun. We had a 90 min couples massage on the beach. IT was fantastic. I recommend it.

Food: Being all-inclusive we ate at all the restaurants, which there are 3 and a deli-esque store as well. We were a little disappointed in the food. We say it was average. The prices are outragous, but being all-inclusive that didnt matter to us. The buffets were good at "Portofinos". The first breakfast I had was eggs benedict with hasbrowns. The hash browns were little square hash browns like ones you would get at Hardees. Other meals were good. The fish meals always seem to be better than the meat ones. The lunch meals from "Sea Breeze" were always good. Overall just average for food though.

Weather: The weather was perfect. It was upper 80s to 90 and sunny the whole time. It is humid, but there is a constant breeze. Any time we got hot we jumped in the pool or ocean. There are mosquitos at night, but the breeze keeps them few and far between for the most part.

Service: The staff was very friendly. We only had one grumpy server once. We assumed he must have had a bad day, but otherwise everyone was overly friendly. We got our mini-fridge within an hour of calling for one. It does take a while for them to take dishes away when placed outside our door, but really thats not much of an issue.

Room: We had room 220. It was the perfect spot. It was an ocean view room on the second floor. It looked out at the ocean and the "Board Room" bar. It was quiet and peaceful and the view was wonderful. The only downfall of the room was its smell. It smelled a little like a basement. We assumed all rooms would have that smell so we didnt change. The rooms could go for some upgrading, but really unless you are really picky it wasnt that big of deal.

We'd go back again if we could afford it. A great honeymoon stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Louisville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

After my now husband and I got engaged we decided we wanted to go to the Caribbean for an all-inclusive Honeymoon. I travel often with work and am a Marriott Gold Elite Member. I had collected and saved thousands of points to pay for our Ocean View Room and an all inclusive package. We decided on the Curacao Marriott since they offered and all inclusive package. We started working with Anjali Jethmalani the Wedding Coordinator for our trip and decided to do a destination wedding at the Marriott Curacao as well. Anjali had me book my room online with points and she stated in an email I needed 200,000 and an additional 90,000 for all inclusive. We contacted Marriott and she also contacted Marriott Reservations, we had an email dated 1-9-09 that our hotel room was taken care of 7 nights, ocean view, all inclusive. We checked into the hotel 5-21-09 and verified we were all inclusive with points. We had a meeting with Anjali 5-22-09 and went over what all was included on our all inclusive package.
At the end of our trip we checked out and had been charged and addditional $6138.00, the front Desk Manager Kurt Jackson said we were never all-inclusive and we owed this money. We had them contact Anjali -our wedding coordintor, that I had been working with for MONTHS, several emails and phone calls about our reservations. She said "sorry I can't do anything." We had to contact Marriott Corp. to finally have them get us a meeting with the General Manager John Toti. He said we had to have a certificate from Marriott stating we had all-inclusive. This was the first we ever heard of this. We obviously did not have a certificate and were never informed we needed one. The General Manager John Toti threatened to have us arrested at the border if we did not pay the entire bill before we left. Then they asked if we would give them $1800 and they would "call it even". We stated this was booked in January and I have proof when I get to my email at home. They would not accept this. We had to call my brother-in-law in Dallas and have him put the additional money on his credit card so they would let us leave!!
Once we arrived safely back in the USA I contacted Marriott Corp. they issued John Toti the General Manager the all-inclusive certificate and he is refusing the certificate and stated he would only use it if we decided to return to his resort! He is refusing to refund the $6,138.00 that he stole from us! Marriott Corp and our credit card company is STILL trying to get our money refunded. The Marriott is investigating John Toti, the General Manager, Anjali Jethmalani, the Wedding Coordinator, and Kurt Jackson, the Front Desk Manager for extortion.
We had a nice wedding with 15 guests who all stayed at the hotel at least 4 nights, plus our Wedding cost, and this is the way we are treated?? Please do not use this hotel, our experience was horrible and we still have not been refunded ANY money.

• Stayed May 2009
jcastillo82g, Director of Sales at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, June 16, 2009
The wedding coordinator did not make arrangements for this especific guest in terms of points or bookings etc. The hotel management never offered "a deal " to waive the room charges since every guest is notified at check in of the rate their are going to be paying wether is a Marriott Rewards Certificate or any given rate.

The general Manager of the hotel is not being investigated as guest is saying, thjis is completely false.

We respect the guest opinion but need to inform that is completely contradictory and out of sense, we strongly disagree with all the comments of this review.
houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2009

My boyfriend and I visited Curacao for a week. The hotel is very convenient to all places. The Marriott is an okay place to stay. The grounds are well kept. It is very clean for the most part. The room was ok. We had a couple of issues with the room. We initially were assigned to 180 which is facing the public beach. It was ok, but too far from the lobby, etc. After two days, we asked to be switched and we moved to 236. This room was nice, we had a view to the pool and the ocean. This room is considered a garden view. I am glad we moved to this room, everything was closer. One problem I noticed as we watched tv, about every couple of hours, we kept getting a message that our cable service was about to expire and to call some dish-network company. This was annoying and reported numerous times and was never taken care of.
As with previous reviews, be careful with the extras. My boyfriend has family in Curacao. He used the phone to make local calls. They sure added up. It is $.75 per minute. If you need to call the states, it is $2.95 per minute. It gets better, you can buy a prepaid card for $21.00 for 5 minutes, this one sure did not make sense to me. The internet is $15 per day. You can buy an internet card which costs $5 for 20 minutes. Also, keep in mind that the hotel will charge 10% on top of whatever you buy.
The diving is very expensive. I paid $137 for a 2 tank dive. With diving as well, they tag 10% to the bill. Ocean encounters is ok, nothing out of the ordinary. I guess that I am used to being pampered in Mexico, Belize when diving. In Mexico, their "moto" is we are on vacation, they are working. They make it so relaxing to go diving. I never set up any equipment. I just tell them the size, amount of weights, ect. and they take care of everything. Of course, I check the equipment to make sure is functional before I dive. With Ocean Encounters, and I noticed the same mentality in Aruba. You set up your equipment and take it to the boat. You set up your tank. At the end of the first dive, you set up your second tank. And to top it off, at the end of the dive, you have to drag all equipment to the shop and rinse it. But, like I said earlier, I am spoiled by Mexico and Belize. They surely get good tips from me at the end of my diving because I am so relaxed.
Go to as many beaches as possible. Mambo beach is "the bomb". This place is hip with contemporary beach furniture and cool music. Go to Lagun beach. This place is beautiful. My best snorkling was done at this beach. The fisherman feed baby turtles that come to shore and hang out for a while. Go to Cas Abao. I did some snorkling here as well. As you face the beach, go to the left side where there is a bigger cliff. Playa Kenepa is another one. Go to these beaches, during weekday, because I can imagine them being crowded on weekends. I forgot, snorkling was good at the hotel. This was the main reason I picked this hotel over others.
Go to Cristofel Park. Beautiful place. We saw a deer. I have never seen a deer in an island! Go the Playa Grande where the views are amazing from high cliffs.
Nightlife - On Wednesdays - go to Hook's Hut, if you like salsa, merengue, etc. On Fridays - go to Asia de Cuba. This place is cool. The decor has a little of both cultures. The party starts at 7. Don't get there too late, or you will never be able to get in due to parking. Of course, go to Punda and try some restaurants. You for sure need to rent a car to really enjoy the beauty of this island

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Curacao Marriott on our honeymoon. We loved it. We even spent more time there and ate at the restaurants there more than we thought. I had researched other places to eat but when it came down to it, we liked the food at the Marriott and we just really enjoyed feeling safe, relaxed, convenient, and the staff was fabulous so why on earth would we want to leave?!?

We stayed in room 140, beachfront on ground floor. Awesome location. There was a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us in the room with a congratulations note from the hotel. Also the mini fridge I had requested before hand was in the room.

The bed, the room, the shower, the tv, the internet access, the pool, the pool bar/grill, the other restaurants, the beach huts, beach and pool lounge chairs - we loved them all!

The only thing we didn't really go for was the casino but that didn't bother us.

Because of reviews on here we opted to split our HM between the Marriott and the Renaissance and although the Renaissance is nice, we hands down agreed that we wish we would have just stayed at the Marriott for the whole week. The infinity pool and beach at the Renaissance just didn't cut it in our opinion.

Oh we snorkeled at the Marriott beach and saw tons of cool fish and a huge EEL!

I would def recommend this Marriott.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

It looks great from a distance, but as you get closer, the rickety beach chairs (about 1 in 5 was not broken, the fabric completely sunken in or with no backrest support), a "resort view" room facing an empty shipping container and what looked suspiciously like a sewer, a phone which did not work, bathroom fixtures showing their age, all start to intrude on the impression. I was already less than chuffed that the (very high) price for fin rental was the same as for fin/snorkel/mask, as we use our own, but assumed the slip I had signed meant the 3 full days' rental for two adults and one child. My mistake, apparently, as that was per person per day. Had I known, I would have bought the overpriced fins at one of the dive shops, as the rental for 3 days would have covered it. The bedsheets look pretty good until you get under the covers and realize they are pilling (getting those annoying, scratchy little balls that form on fabric when it starts to get old). Full breakfast was charged, although one of us only had coffee (and close to 20 U$ for bad coffee is enough to leave anyone in a bad mood). 15 minutes waiting for an airport taxi that someone at reception had neglected to call when requested did not help. I gave the service an extra point for friendliness (in some cases), because efficiency was sorely lacking. All that and a few more details make it far from great.
On the plus side, a great beach with an excellent reef packed with fish within an easy swim of the beach, so perfect for my 5 year old human/fish hybrid ;-). The hotel is very attractive from afar, with a lobby open through to the sea, pretty gardens, attractive restaurants, etc. It needs a few licks of paint and a sensible manager. The hotel has recently laid off several of their staff and it shows. Unfortunately, those that remain are overworked and left to deal with dissatisfied customers. I'd like to recommend the hotel, but honestly can't. I'll definitely try another place next time.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

My now husband and I have never traveled anywhere outside the US until April 13, 2009 when we flew to Curacao to spend a week with friends and family to celebrate our wedding!! I must say, I am still daydreaming about it!
When we arrived we had to wait an hour before we could check in but during that time we had a sandwich from Viola. We split the crispy Cuban and it was delicious and just enough. Slow service, a little expensive but we had time and we are afterall on vacation. The bellman, Giovanni (he's our favorite), helped us with our luggage to room 256, which is listed as resort view and from the front it is, but just look to the right outside the balcony and you can clearly see the beach and sea! We had to ask for extra towels but they were brought to us right away. We also asked for a fridge but was put on a waiting list- we didn't get it until 4 days later. We did go during spring break, so guess it was pretty busy that week. Even so, we never had to fight for a spot on the beach or at the bar/ restaurants so that was nice.
The day before our wedding, we had rehearsal dinner in the Queen's Ballroom A. It was very private and suited our needs well. We also had a couple's massage outside which was heaven! But my masseuse, Wanda was much better as we later found out. I would not recommend getting your nails done there- unless maybe Wanda did it. But I had another lady (the other masseuse) and I left half way through. I felt bad, but I just felt like I could've done better myself.
Our wedding was on Friday, April 17th. The Marriott wedding planner I had was Anjali and she assisted in every way possible from the moment we booked the date in September until the day of the wedding. We couldn't have done it without her. From the beach set up to the band and the food, everything was more perfect than I had imagined! Even though everyone from the beach was able to see and hear our ceremony, it wasn't a big deal to us. Everyone was respectful and clapped for us so that was nice! That night after photos, we were seated on the beach in the 5 palms area where there was a wooden platform for the band and cake and a hut decorated for the buffet. The 4 hour open bar was also set up on the beach. It was perfect for our small group of 22! The band was excellent! If anyone is planning a wedding here, you must ask for Elton and the Difference Band. I even had people in the hotel and airport coming up to me later telling me how great the music was! The only thing I brought on my own was a CD with the first dance and wedding march. The wedding only lasted until 10pm due to noise control but we were able to party more at the Emerald Lounge later.
We also snorkeled for the first time also here at the Marriott. What an experience!! I can't believe I didn't do this sooner! For $10 per person you can rent snorkeling gear for 4 hours. I would recommend bringing your own b/c you'd want to do it more than once! It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and I can't wait to do it again! It is a MUST do at this hotel!!
We also visted Punda (downtown). The Marriott shuttle will bring you there and pick you up 4 hours later for free. Great experience, great souvenirs, great pictures!
On our last day, we went to the Seaquarium and went swimming with the dolphins. Another must do, although it is a little pricey.
Overall, I would definately come back to this hotel- probably on our anniversary. We obviously have a lot of memories here. The only thing is I wished they offered an all-inclusive package since food and drinks were very expensive ($8 margaritas if not happy hour, $16 cheeseburger and fries at Seabreeze), and that the service was a little faster and nicer. Even so, we probably didn't spend more than $4000 for 7 days including flight! Great times, great memories for years to come I'm sure!!
I will post more pictures soon!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino? Share your experiences!