“BEST VIEWS AND STAFF!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino

You added Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino to your Saves list
Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   John F Kennedy Boulevard | Piscadera Bay, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
5th nt free & $50 daily
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Willemstad
Temple Hills, Maryland
“BEST VIEWS AND STAFF!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I spent 2 weeks at the Curacao Marriott Beach Resort and had a WONDERFUL time!! The open air entrance and lobby overlooks the pool and the beautiful beach. From the lobby, it's difficult to tell where the pool ends and the beach begins - much thought was put into this design. The pictures on the website were so inviting, I knew I needed to stay there and I was not disappointed. I don't have words to describe the overwhelming beauty of this place!

The front desk staff was wonderful - thank you Gesmaline for the manager's reception and Bryan for the info on public transportation. (We took the public bus into town almost daily). Our biggest praise goes to the housekeeping staff, Chamila, Madelien and the supervisor Diane. They were absolutely FANTASTIC!!! Chamila and Madelien were friendly, helpful and upbeat. They gave us suggestions on places to eat local food, what to eat, places to visit and made lists so we would remember. They were absolutely wonderful to us! They left cheery notes daily and checked to ensure that everything was in order, according to our preferences. Even as a Marriott platinum member, I've never gotten this quality of service from housekeeping - what a pleasant surprise! Kudos to Marriott for retaining such a great staff and for the unbelievable customer service from the housekeeping staff.

Could the hotel use some updating? Yes, but the views and staff made up that. I never did get used to 'island time.' Service in most restaurants (on and off property) was extremely slow. The wait time between order and delivery was about 1 hour, regardless of the order, size of group or number of customers. (One evening, I ordered 2 sides at the hotels Seabreeze swim - coconut rice and plantains and that took 45 minutes!! Gordon Ramsey would have been screaming at the top of his lungs!)

Another issue is the 'service charge' automatically added to all checks - only when pressed will the servers say that its the tip.

Bottom line - despite these issues, I will go back to Curacao and stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
LouellaB5, General Manager at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Janice J,
Wow this was a wonderful and long review. I appreciate the time you took to write it and to recognize our wonderful staff members such as Gesmeline, Bryan, Madeline, Chamila and Diane. Of course I totally agree that our resort and the surroundings make you feel like you are in paradise. Kindly note that based on your feedback I will review the scripting of the service charge with our team to ensure clarity at all times.
I hope to be able to personally welcome you back in the near future.
Sunny Regards,
Louella

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Curacao
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed there for a weekend but the rooms erre very disappointing, had a funny smell and needed a renovation badly. Asked them yo change the room for a better but supposedly they were full. Aftet sll we couldn't sleep in the smell and we went home (dince we live on thd island). The next day I filed a complaint and the supervisor/ manager gave us our money back. I don't understand how come the Marriott chain allow these type of quality. Won't recommend unless they undergo a renovation.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Louella B, General Manager at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Dear BVLC1,
My apologies for the poor room experience you had at our hotel last year. We take the satisfaction of all our guests very seriously..
Please be assured that we do annual treatments by a professional outside providor of all the AC systems of all our rooms to ensure that they all smell clean and fresh. As a matter of fact we just finished our annual service last week.
As you live in the island I really hope that you will give us another try. Feel free to reach out to me personally should I be able to assist you in any way.
Sunny Regards,
Louella Brezovar.
Grayson, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Flying into this Country was amazing, the colors of the water are truly beautiful. The airport was extremely easy to maneuver through. The Hotel lobby is all outdoors which overlooks the pool , and ocean.( Truly breathtaking.) The hotel staff were extremely nice and utmost helpful on suggestions of places to see. Renatta at the front desk and Monique at the board room bar on the beach not only suggested places to go but helped with reservations, and inquired after on if we enjoyed the places we visited.
We rented a car for one day and felt very comfortable driving, this was we were able to experience more than just the hotel , (taxis are a bit pricy. )
Great diving/snorkeling the fish are amazing in the crystal clear water. The beach area/ ocean is Rocky so bring some water shoes :)
One of the things I kept saying was how nice and happy people seemed to be on the island.
If your looking for total relaxation this is the place to go!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
jcastillo82g, Director of Sales & Marketing at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear TravelingTess68 ~

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your great review and the favorable comments about our great location, friendly staff and breathtaking water views of our turquoise blue ocean.

Hope you come back soon,

Miami
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband and I just spent six days at this location. We chose to stay at the Marriott since it was centrally located to all the snorkeling beaches in the island. The guest services are impeccable and the staff is caring and friendly. The public areas make you feel you are in paradise. Great snorkeling right off their beach, relaxing beach, beautiful pool area. However, the guest rooms and bathrooms do need updating. We had an ocean view room. The room and the bathroom were spacious and comfortable, but they showed wear-and-tear with a 1990's Holiday Inn vibe.
On our first night there, we dined in Portofino Restaurant. Perhaps since it's off season they did not have their best menu but we found the food to be standard large hotel chain fare.
Regarding location, it is an easy shot from the airport and centrally located to go snorkeling around the island. But, even though it is only a 5-10 minute drive from Willemstad, there are few restaurant choices around the Piscadera Bay area. Definitely rent a car.

Room Tip: Ocean view or ocean front since the other rooms face the gardens or parking lot
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear FredMiami ~
Thank you for your positive feedback about our staff and great snorkeling. As you mentioned we have a great location and one of the best beaches in Curacao with a natural coral reef that is ideal for great diving and snorkeling right from our beach.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Had a great week at this great resort. From the food to the staff I would recommend this hotel to family and friends. The pool is overlooking the ocean with and amazing view. I especially would like to recognize the engineering team( Andy Santana, sherman Janze, and Haydy Obispo for making the my stay enjoyable. Thanks,

Alex Rogers

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Nicky S, Marketing Coordinator at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, July 12, 2014
Dear Alex R,

Thank you for your positive review!

We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you recommend our resort to others. It is great to read your very kind comments about our engineering team. I can assure your review will be shared with them all!

Thank you once more and hopefully we can welcome you back soon!

Nicky Spijkerman
Marketing Coordinator
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I recently returned from 5 nights at the Marriott Curacao and were very pleased with our stay. We often stay at Ritz Carltons in the Caribbean using Marriott points, and chose the Curacao Marriott because we were looking for a better value. We were not disappointed!

Rooms: As other reviews have mentioned, the rooms are a bit dated, but our ocean view room was clean, spacious, and in good condition. It had all the amenities you would expect (safe, iron, sizable mini-fridge for beverages and food if you are looking to stock up and save a few dollars). My only gripe was a very minor one, that the chairs on our balcony appeared to be old conference room chairs and we had no table on the balcony. There is not free wifi in the rooms, but there is free wifi in the lobby in all of the public areas of the resort, which is where we spent most of our time so this was no big deal.

Resort: The resort is as beautiful as the pictures suggest and the property is in good condition. We enjoyed the infinity pool and since there is no buffer between the pool and the beach (we assumed they do not need to worry about storm surges being outside the hurricane belt) you can sit by or in the pool and still enjoy the view and the sound of the waves. When we were there is was very windy, so we appreciated that the beach has umbrella huts and the pool umbrellas are drilled into the ground--no jockeying to get an umbrella that would then fall over or blow away. I intended to take advantage of a spa service but did not end up doing so. Location is convenient just 10 minutes from the airport or to downtown Willemstad.

Food: Sufficient variety and quality average to above average, so we only left the resort once to eat. Coming from a big city, and having traveled abroad and to resorts frequently, we found the prices for food and drink to be highly reasonable for a beach resort (though good to be aware of the service charges and taxes that will be included on your bill). We preferred Portofino for dinner at Seabreeze poolside for lunch. We appreciated that the Voila delicatessen provided an alternative for a light breakfast or snack, as well as coffee, bottled water, beer, and wine, all at reasonable prices--you are not stuck with an expensive breakfast buffet.

Service: Friendly and fast across the board! When we travel abroad we are used to service being slower than in the US. Don't expect "island time" here, drinks and food arrive quickly and we had no trouble with checking in/out and getting a taxi. We did have a slight glitch at checkout when my husbands Marriott credit card would not swipe on the card reader and they were not able to enter the number manually so that we could earn points, but that was not a big deal and the staff were highly apologetic nonetheless.

Finally, the resort seems to attract travelers from different countries, and a mix of singles, couples, and families. You won't feel out of place in any case. Overall, this was a really great value and we would recommend for a relaxing trip.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
jcastillo82g, Director of Sales & Marketing at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear 042581 ~
Thank you for your great comments about our rooms, food and beverage and attentive staff, we are glad that you experienced not just a good service but also fast and diligent.

We are happy to see also that you think it was a great value and lots of quality and we hope that you come back soon to visit us.

Best regards,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Had a wonderful week here and so pleased I chose this resort. The staff could not have been more friendly and genuine. They make the resort so special. We were even greeted with a cake in celebration of an event we were there for.

Be sure to ask for "Lilli" to be your server at the Portofino. You won't be disappointed.

Food at Portofino and Emerald has been the best resort food I've had of the 12 islands I've visited. Consistent and delicious. Not so true with Seabreeze. Must be a different chef because quality can't compare. Others agreed.

While rooms are not what I would consider luxurious they were clean and comfortable. We had an ocean view beachfront - room 301.

I agree with other reviewers, bring sea shoes because there is a ridge of coral rocks at edge of sea. But it certainly didn't detract from the beauty of diving into the stunning water.

The only negative I would propose about this hotel is the spa area. For a resort destination I was sorely disappointed. It's no more than two rooms off the fitness room with a dungeon like atmosphere. My daughter and I would have indulged in services had it been a tranquil, beautiful spa one would expect of Marriott on a Caribbean island. Other guests mentioned this as well. I think they are missing an income source!

But overall the highest praise I can give is that I will be back!

• Stayed July 2014
Dear TSperry ~
Thank you for such a positive feedback about our hotel, I will congratulate our Italian executive chef Enrico Luise about your positive experience in our food and beverage outlets.

We agree with you in regards our spa experience, We call it a fitness center because we don’t want to mislead calling it a Spa but at the same time we try to offer a health club with all the services and facilities that our guests require in order to keep their routine.

Once again thank you for your favorable comments; we look forward to welcome you one more time.

Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino

Been to Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino? Share your experiences!