“Great birthday vacation in a beautiful location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino

You added Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino to your Saves list
Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   John F Kennedy Boulevard, Piscadera Bay, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Birmingham, Alabama
“Great birthday vacation in a beautiful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

First time to Curacao after reseaching where to go for my 50th birthday. We decided to go to Curacao as neither of us had been there. The Marriott exceeded our expectations. From the moment we arrived, all the staff were very friendly and soon were calling us by name every day. A nice personal touch. Simone at the front desk was great! Chanteau, the Director of Rooms put us in an outstanding beachfront balcony room with great views of the beach and ocean. We had champagne already waiting when we entered our room! The staff surprised us on Saturday with a fantastic birthday cake, balloons and a nice note. We even got another birthday cake and nice card from the casino! Lots of fun at the blackjack table. To top it all off even the housekeeping staff wrote a nice note and arranged the towels into kissing swans! I cannot thank Chanteau enough for her warm hospitality and making our stay the best it could be. I would recommend this hotel for the great location, amenities (spa/massage being one), charm but most of all for the outstanding staff that really personalized our experience. The beach is nice with lots of activities, the room comfortable. Be sure to check out the little store next to the casino for gelato, sundries and that bottle of champagne for a special occaision. We will definately go back. To Koen Hietbrink, thanks again for a great stay! We enjoyed it very much.

David and Laura

Room Tip: Get a beachfront balcony room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Koen H, Director of Operations at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear David,
I was certainly a pleasure meeting you on Curacao.
Thank you for your feedback on your experience and recognizing Simone and Chanteau.
For us it is special as well when we are able to celebrate such an important milestone with you.
Thank you for discovering all our Resort has to offer.
Enjoying some late night entertainment in our Emeralds Casino, enjoying a gelato in Voila or simply enjoying our great Pool and Beach; all contribute to true Caribbean Life!
I hope you will come back soon to enjoy some more.
Koen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I have never written a review before, even though I refer to them regularly on this site for travel. But after our recent experience in Curacao...I HAD TO WRITE A REVIEW!!!

We travelled to Curacao as a family. My husband, myself and my 19 month son who has severe allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, and eggs. He also has severe eczema and respiratory concerns that we were deliberately heading south for the healing salt water and warm weather to help him embark on a road to recovery.

In deciding on a country to visit, I was very worried due to his allergies. All inclusive was concerning as well, and since I couldn't find anything online that helped me choose or ease my concerns, I resorted to Curacao. We decided on not all inclusive and I packed my sons food for the week, just in case.

From the moment we arrived the service was outstanding! Puja at the front desk arranged for us to be moved into a room without carpeting as to not aggravate anymore health concerns for my little guy. As the week continued the kindness was like a snowball effect and grew larger and more intense with every passing day. It truly was unbelievable.

On our second day, Gichi (aka Ingrid) was kind enough to introduce me to the supervisor Meredith who informed me that my son and his allergy concerns were discussed at the staff meeting and there was nothing for me to worry about. How relieving!!! I had the opportunity to speak with Enrico and Arnold, the chefs at Portofino restaurant who were diligently preparing any foods for my son and ensuring that all was undertaken with no cross contamination. I built an extraordinary trust in these people that I was able to completely relax. Meredith invited me to the food staff meeting within the week and I discussed the growing epidemic of allergies in North America and how they could accommodate other families like ours. They were very receptive to any suggestions that I offered. The morning after the meeting, the pastry chef (a beautiful latin woman, whom I cannot remember her name right now!) made a special loaf of bread for my son that was kept in a safe place in the kitchen to avoid cross contamination!
Sandy, our roommaid was lovely. We asked her if the filter could be changed since it was dusty and within 5 minutes a service man came to the door and changed the filter!!!
Over and above any of my expectations!!!

Blessed those in Curacao! A beautiful people! And my experience will put Marriott as my ONLY choice in the future!

One draw back to the location....we were unable to go into the beach since the water was rough most of the time. I was able however, to splash my son with the salt water regularly but certainly would have preferred to be in the ocean with him than the pool.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear SMSNR,
I was thrilled reading your comments on Tripadvisor.
Reading that so many of our hosts contributed to making the experience for your family care free and relaxing really makes me proud.
When I shared your feedback with our hosts many of them recalled the warm encounters with you and your adorable little boy.
Your family certainly have a warm spot in our hearts and we look forward meeting you on Curacao again.
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

First time to Curacao. We are family of 4, kids 10 and 11. Snorkeling just off the rocks was awesome for all. Bought snorkel gear on Curacao, would suggest packing some and goggles. Brought water shoes. Sometimes hard to find shade on beach, people set their towel down and don't return so you don't know what huts are open. I think someone with hotel should walk around beach to collect towels more often, also that way at the pool. The layout of the resort was convenient and awesome to have pool deck overlooking beach. Rooms were decent enough, really don't stay in them much, they were clean and I don't do dirty. We were on 3rd floor garden view. Had a problem getting bath towels, so much so we were delivered a cheese/wine basket mid-week...nice they recognized the problem. Rented a car for 24 hours two separate days to see island and that was plenty. Mambo Beach has nice, new shopping/dining area. Food/drinks on an island are expensive but we split a lot of lunches and bought some snacks at local market. I don't know if we would return to Curacao, felt like 'been there done that' although we had a relaxing week. With kids it was great location to pool/beach/snorkel at resort, if it were just husband and I traveling I might look for quieter setting.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Cass092,
Thank you for choosing our beautiful hotel for your most recent family vacation.
I am happy you enjoyed the reef just in front of the hotel's beach for snorkling. It actually is one of the best snorkling spots on the island.
Your feedback with regards to the Pool and Beach facilities is well noted. We are actively working on creating more shade for our guests.
It is great that you also got to enjoy the island and see some newly developped tourism areas as Curacao is working hard on improving its infastructure and tourist sights.
If your travels take you back to the region I would love to assist you arranging your next stay with Marriott regardless of the location. Please email me at koen.hietbrink@marriott.com for assistance.
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a nice hotel that was not too far from the airport. The pool is beautiful anytime of day, but especially at night when lit up in a variety of colors. There is a swim up bar in the pool, and many nook and cranny seating areas in the beach area.

The room was average, nothing really special, but comfortable and clean. We ate the breakfast buffet, and there were plenty of options available in the buffet. The food and drink prices are quite high. Even with the exchange rate of USD to NAFL, the prices are higher than anywhere else we stayed or dined on the island. Keep that in mind when you open a tab at the swim up bar! We did find that the cafe that's on the property offers affordable sandwich options - something to keep in mind if eating in the restaurant isn't a high priority for you.

The beach area is beautiful, but people were mostly wading, not seriously swimming, diving or snorkeling. For those activities visit one of the local beaches that are tucked into a bay, like Playa Porto Mari at http://www.playaportomari.com/. But, the Marriott's beach is nice and relaxing.

The staff were all very accommodating, although service to the room for extra towels or to have a luggage trolley delivered was very slow. The front desk staff has a wealth of great information on local attractions and things to do. We did enjoy our stay, and we appreciated the help in finding and planning activities.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor that open to the pool area make it very accessible coming and going from th...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Dear B B,
Thank you so much for your feedback.
I really appreciate your detailed comments and certainly take the feedback about slow service response to heart.
We are happy being able to boast a diverse variety of Food and Beverage offerings that meet individual guest's needs.
You are definately right about the pool and its evening lights being special. That is actually one of my favorite views from our lobby.
I hope to have another opportunity to host you back on Curacao soon. Feel free to contact me at koen.hietbrink@marriott.com for assistance.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I was here with my husband for our anniversary. It is a good hotel, seems to have had better days though. Rooms are nice, clean, good bathrooms recently renovated. Food and drinks are expensive. Lunch choices are limited. Service is super friendly.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear helenegarciar,
Thank you very much for your feedback and congratulations on your wedding anniversary from all of us here in Curacao!
We look forward welcoming you and your husband back with us next year.
Mission Viejo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Our first time in Curacao and a die hard Marriott fan. I'll give both hotel and island review. First, the staff is really friendly and happy to help you with anything you need. Always at your service. The pool is wonderful. Swim up bar is nice as well. The best snorkeling we had on this entire island was right there at the hotel. I recommend wearing swim shoes as the shore is a bit rocky. We swam out to the reef and floated down with the current - we saw hundreds of colorful fish, eel and mushroom corals. The water is crystal clear. If you want a little bit of quiet and small waves - walk on the beach to the left of the pool and enter the water on the far left side of the property where the waves are smaller and there is shade under the huts along with comfy lounge chairs. We then snorkeled and drifted across the "bay" and walked ashore over by The Board Room bar where the waves are a little bigger. My husband's snorkel broke and we just walked into the Dive shop and bought another one. Then walked back up to the original place of entry and did it all over again. It was lovely. We also did the couples massage on the hut out on the water. It was a great massage - although a bit windier than I'd hoped and so close to the BoardRoom bar that the partying and laughter is a little distracting.

We ate at the Portofino restaurant at the hotel one night, and another night listened to live music while eating bar food at Emerald Lounge. We found a nice variety in each restaurant depending on our mood. The Voila deli was my favorite place to get a ham and cheese croissant in the morning. And their chocolate cake for a late night treat was DELICIOUS.

The casino was busier some nights than others. While small, they had 40-50 slot machines, two roulette tables, several blackjack tables and a craps table. I'm not much of a gambler but had fun playing a little on the slot machines and then enjoyed the camaraderie at the roulette table.

The hotel rooms are a bit dated (ours had little stains on the ceiling and the bathroom could use some updating). But the great Marriott bedding was there and honestly, the room was perfect for the casual vacation. The small fridge was convenient and the safe a great place to store our passports and earrings. I'd like to see Marriott update the rooms a bit soon.

If you prefer a slightly quieter hotel room location, ask to be in a room on the south/east side. We had room 254 and it rocked. Quiet. Ocean front balcony totally unobstructed. We were really close to the one flight of stairs down to the pool or hot tub without being so close that it disturbed us.

If you are the more party type, then I'd recommend a room on the West/North side that faces The Board Room which always has action/laughter, etc.

We used the concierge there onsite to book our excursions and they made it very easy for us. Again, very friendly staff. Yellow tour company booked us for 1/2 day snorkel & sail - quite enjoyable and we got to snorkel near a sunken tugboat - a rare treat. The lunch they served was bountiful and delicious. We also used the hotel concierge to book the Ostrich Farm & Hato Caves tour - and the driver gave us a lot of history along the way.

The people of Curacao are very happy, friendly people that speak multiple languages. We felt very safe no matter where we walked and no matter how late we were out. You can walk up to anyone and they will help you. Even the merchants - if you enter into a store and ask for something in particular, if they don't care it, they will show you the store that does and wish you good luck on your search. Great people. I talked a lot to our taxi drivers - who are also very friendly people. I learned a lot about the educational system, the values of the people (they have a high degree of respect for one another's views/opinions/religions and don't have civil unrest or much conflict at all on the island). I was really impressed - we saw positive messages everywhere we went, "It takes a village to raise a child" on the side of a building or "choose positivity" on the side of a bus, etc. From the locals that I spoke with, they have a nice wage which affords them a comfortable living.

We visited during King's Day celebration and we enjoyed being in Williamsted during all the festivities. Lots of laughter, and street fairs where tourists are allowed (and encouraged to join in with everyone else).

The floating market is a great place to pick up some yummy fruit from the Venezuela merchants. The whole Williamsted area is super easy to walk around and enjoy all the merchants, etc. We asked our taxi drivers to drop us off at RIF fort and we walked everywhere from there.

The restaurant on the top of RIF fort (Steaks & Ribs) was great. We tried several restaurants along the waterfront street as well. While it looks a little "seedy" as you approach the restaurants, but they are really great - you can't go wrong with any of them. You will have to ask for the check as they move on "island time" which was probably good for us because it forced us to slow down and just enjoy our surroundings without bolting off to the next thing.

Room Tip: If you prefer a slightly quieter hotel room location, ask to be in a room on the south/east side. W...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicky S, Marketing Coordinator at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Dear ShoeAddiction,

Thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review. In your review you are not only giving great feedback about the Curacao Marriott, but you also highlight some beautiful features of the country we call home, Curacao. Great!

We are proud to say that we have a private beachfront with stunning reef only 20 feet from the shore. It is good to read you and your husband took advantage of it. Snorkeling is a lot of fun and you will see a lot of colorful fish and other sea creatures on our reef.

It is absolutely lovely to read you enjoyed all different aspects of your stay with us, such as the Portofino restaurant, live music in Emerald Lounge, our Emerald Casino and Voila delicatessen. And let me just say, I totally agree with you; the chocolate cake is fantastic!
We also get a lot of great comments about our cheesecake, you might want to try that one too the next time you are on Curacao?

And you visited Curacao first King’s Day! As you might know, the Netherlands and the Dutch Caribbean used to have a Queen and we celebrated Queen’s Day. This year we celebrated the first King’s Day, so you could say this was a historic day!

Thank you once more for your great comments. We shared your review with our entire team, since it is gratifying for everybody to receive such positive feedback! Hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future.

Nicky Spijkerman
Marketing Coordinator
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had a fantastic week at the Marriott. We debated whether to stay at the Renaissance or the Marriott, but so gald we picked the Marriott. The staff were friendly and the property is beautiful, right on the water (as opposed to the man man beach of the Ren). Loved the pool and swim up bar & had lots of great snacks at the pool & beach bar. However, we did not enjoy the food at the inside lobby bar. We spent time away from the property too, driving to some of the island beaches. Great location too, easy to get into town or to some nearby restaurants or the grocery store.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear STL-moe,

Thank you for your enthusiastic review. We are so happy to read your week was fantastic! And let’s be honest, we are glad you picked the Curacao Marriott too!

Good to hear you enjoyed the Seabreeze Swim-up bar and Restaurant while you stayed with us. I will make sure to let the team know all about your lovely comments. And if you would like to give us some more feedback about your dining experience in Emerald Lounge, our lobby bar, we would welcome that! Feel free to email me at nicky.spijkerman@marriott.com

We hope you enjoyed Curacao as a destination as well and that we can welcome you back to the resort in the near future!

Nicky Spijkerman
Marketing Coordinator

Been to Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino? Share your experiences!