“Amazing hotel for so many reasons!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino

You added Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino to your Saves list
Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   John F Kennedy Boulevard | Piscadera Bay, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
5th nt free & $50 daily
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Willemstad
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Amazing hotel for so many reasons!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I love this resort so much! We stayed here last year in March 2013 and loved the island and hotel so we decided to come back in March 2014. I have a lot to gush about so let me start at the beginning...

Arrived around 3p Wednesday afternoon. Upon arrival, Ronaldo helped us with our bags. What a nice guy. Always a smile on his face! Walked to the front desk where I was greeted by Carlos who was super friendly and helpful. We booked an ocean view room but we were upgraded to a beachfront room! What a nice surprise! The check-in process was quick - maybe 5 minutes total and we did not wait at all. Off we went to check out our room and get settled in. Our room was great (room 242)! Yes, the decor is a bit outdated but the room is spacious and clean, the bed is comfortable and the view is to die for! Who really cares what the furniture looks like! The rooms are equipped with a small safe, TV, iron/ironing board, coffee maker and hair dryer. If visiting from the U.S., definitely bring a plug converter as there are only 2 U.S. style plugs (110 volt) in the room (the rest are 220 volt European style outlets).

We frequently ate lunches at Seabreeze by the pool. All the waiters/waitresses were really nice and the food was good. The pool is really nice with a good amount of lounge chairs. The beach is somewhat small but definitely adequate. There is a bar on the beach called The Boardroom as well as an independent water sports company which provides different activities.

We spent many nights in the casino. Its small but very fun! I would like to give a shout out to my favorite dealers, Martijn (Mart-ine, haha!) and Geraldine! They are such warm and friendly people and are truly huge assets to this hotel.

Also, a big thanks to whomever I spoke to daily using the "At Your Service" function from our room phone! They made us dinner reservations every day! So helpful!

Honestly, the people who work at this hotel really go the extra mile to make sure your experience is top notch. We didn't encounter one unfriendly employee.

Overall, we had a wonderful vacation and this hotel was a huge part in making it so amazing! If you are deciding whether or not to visit this hotel, do it! You won't regret it! We've now been here twice and will undoubtedly be back again (hopefully soon!).

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Koen H, Director of Operations at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear cms135,
Thank you for writing such a detailed review on Tripadvisor about your recent experience.
I can feel the love you have for the island and our hotel and we are thrilled to be a part of that!
Thank you for sharing the names of Roland, Carlos, Martijn and Geraldine. We will make sure to recognize them for their great efforts in service delivery.
The At Your Service ladies are the ones you hardly see when you are staying with Marriott but I am proud of the service and help they provided for you during your stay.
We really appreciate your return customership and we all look forward seeing you back on dushi Curacao.
Sunny regards.
Koen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

It was my 4th visit to Marriott Curaçao. This I've looked at all 4 and 5 stars hotels on the island. Marriott is still the best for me and The most elegant. But competition is working hard and I would reccomend them to start updating rooms. If not in 2-3 years they will be old fashioned.

• Stayed April 2014
Dear Micrida1,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel.
It is clear that you are a seasoned Curacao visitor and I very much appreciate your loyalty to the island as a destination and Marriott as a brand.
Your feedback about our rooms product is well noted and we are working hard towards bettering our facilities and improving our products and services.
I would be thrilled to personally assist you making your arrangements on your next visit to the Caribbean.
Please feel free to call upon me at anytime. I am at your service.
Regards,
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This review is for my four night stay at this hotel January 2014. I had previously stayed here for just one night in November 2013 and was impressed enough to return.

Although the hotel & rooms are older and a bit dated, the staff take care to keep everything clean and in good repair. I'd rather have clean, functional older furniture and decor than filthy poorly-repaired new stuff that other hotels provide.

There is a large pool (with swim-up bar), beach, two huge warm jaccuzis, and no shortage of lounge chairs. The staff are absolutely wonderful (by Curacao standards.) Very friendly people at the front desk and also at the bar by the pool. The drinks are delicious albeit pricey (you can expect to spend $10-$15 on a cocktail.) We picked up some of our own beverages from the grocery store to save a bit of cash here.

The food wasn't great. Sushi from the pool bar was kinda gross (go instead to Emma-Tei in town or Chopstix if you are looking for good sushi.) French fries were delicious, though. We also ate at the Portifino restaurant one night which is not the same as Portifinos you have been to on other vacations. This one was a bunch of tables tossed randomly into a massive airy & freezing cold banquet hall that is obviously used for other functions as well. Service was very slow but very friendly. Food was not very good and was very expensive.

All in all, I slept very well. The beds were comfy and the bathroom well-stocked with shampoo and other supplies. Definitely one of my favourite hotels on the island.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ivp27,

I want to thank you for being such a loyal reviewer on Tripadvisor and for being a return customer at our hotel on Curacao.
I am thrilled to hear that our friendliness and the way we clean and maintain our property stood out for you and disappointed to read about your food experience.
Food experience has our full attention and I cannot wait to showcase that to you on a next visit.
Feel free to contact me directly if you are planning a trip to Curacao again.

Best regards,
Delmar, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Wonderful Hotel ! Open air Lobby was so beautiful with infinity pool ! Rooms were spacious & scenic. Staff were exceptionally helpful & always cheerful, accomodating & pleasant. Couldn't do enough for each guest. Memorable staff were, Yvette at Portofino's - always the perfect hostess. Roland at the front desk, Martine at the Pool Bar & Elsmley at the Casino - so personable & efficient. Great Beach, plenty of huts on beach & chairs at pool. Lots of shade available as well.
Loved the accomodations - Top Notch. Free Shuttle to Wilemstad, Entertainment nightly.

Weaknesses - Food VERY expensive. remote location - cannot walk anywhere, rocky beach must have water shoes, minimal supplies available at convenience store.
Would definitely go back, but would by all - inclusive status.

Nina & Tom 3/14 Delmar, NY

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicky S, Marketing Coordinator at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Nina and Tom,

Thank you for writing this great review!

We are delighted to read you had such a good time with us and you enjoyed our private beach. We will ensure we pass your lovely comments on to our team, especially to Yvette, Roland, Martine and Elmsley!

Thank you once more and we hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald casino!

Warm regards,

Nicky Spijkerman
Marketing Coordinator
Mahomet, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Let me start by saying we were at this hotel 3 years ago March and ultimately came back because we were always talking about how beautiful it was and how friendly all the staff were. This time around, they surpassed this and more!!!

Rooms: Our room had a small fridge and a safe big enough to fit everything we brought (lap tops, phone, money). I wouldn't necessarily say the rooms are outdated like others have said. When I walk into the room I get an Island feel but most importantly a very clean feel! We had a 3rd floor Garden View which looked out at a hot tub and if you slightly turned to the right you could see the Ocean. It was the perfect view for us! When we're on vacation we're not there to sit in our room anyway! HELPFUL TIP: Bring a portable "Outlets To Go" power strip as the rooms only have one 110 outlet *See attached picture.

House keeping: They were great and ever so friendly, thank you Ana. I might add TRUST WORTHY..... I have never done this before on a trip but after being home and doing laundry I figured out I was missing some of my stuff, I had left an entire drawer of clothes in the room. My husband emailed the hotel and within an hour they emailed back with a list of everything they found in my drawer. I received my box 6 days from the time we emailed Koen (whom we can’t thank enough for everything)!!!! We've been in the states and left and item or two and they never "find" anything left behind so this is huge for us!!

Food: We didn’t have anything we didn’t like. We didn't eat at Portofino this time so I can't comment on that restaurant. We did order lunch/snacks from Boardroom Beach Bar and Seabreeze almost every day. We never once had to "wait" for our food like I've read on here. Service charge, yes there is a service charge just be aware of this and plan ahead. Prices, what we expect for being on vacation and also on an Island. You just need to know coming to Curaçao you will pay a little higher on the entire Island.... you're not at home! At night we always ate at Emerald Lounge. We had the Mussel's on Thursday and they were well worth it!! If we could of been there for two Thursday's I'm sure we would of had them a second time! My husband and I tend to sit at a bar when we go out and it was no different on this trip. You'd be amazed at how much you get to know the staff and learn about the Island this way! I have to mention Nadim, he was an absolute joy to get to know in the Emerald Lounge along with Carlos! Also, Cerita at the Boardroom Beach Bar. We truly believe getting to know the staff can make or break a vacation!

Beach: If you're looking for a beach to walk miles on it won't happen here. We love to walk beaches ourselves but for this hotel it’s just not here. We do love the beach here for different reasons, there's not many people and you’re on your own private beach and never feel crowded! Also, the snorkeling is a must! You really don't need to do a snorkeling trip you can see all sorts of fish right out front and to the right of the hotel. We bring our own snorkel gear but they do rent it out at the towel hut.

If you're looking for an extremely relaxing vacation with the some of the most beautiful views and sunsets you'll ever see, this is the place for you. There is music outside the Emerald Lounge a couple nights and a lot of people gather and even some dancing. It's no Club but it can be a good time.

We will not be waiting three years this time to return we are already planning on going back next March. As I said, the staff is amazing here and one of the main reasons we will return. If you have a problem with something they want you to tell them about it, so they can address it rather than read it on here. We always believe an important thing to pack is a good attitude. It goes a long way for making a great trip and if you can’t do that here, you’re doing something wrong!

Room Tip: Room #304 Garden View with very nice Ocean View
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CDRyan32,

I want to thank you for taking the time to write this extensive review regarding your recent vacation, and also for being such a loyal visitor to our resort. Also, you made lovely photos! Thank you for sharing these on Tripadvisor.

We are thrilled to read that you had such a wonderful time in Curacao and that our resort team treated you so friendly. We feel very fortunate to have such a wonderful team of people at the Curacao Marriott and let me assure you that your lovely review will be shared with all of them, especially Ana, Koen, Nadim, Carlos and Cerita! This will inspire the whole team to keep on delivering friendly and helpful service to all our guests.

We are so happy to read you will be visiting us again and we can’t wait to welcome you back! Please feel free to contact me via nicky.spijkerman@marriott.com if I can assist you in any way further.

Warm regards,

Nicky Spijkerman
Marketing Coordinator
Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Visited the hotel with customers for 2 nights. Check in tool more then 1 hour. Really annoying. This actually set the standard for any question or request you ask in this hotel. Slow, slow.
Having said that the staff is really friendly. The location is good and centrally located.
Rooms are dated but kind of large. Pool is good. Good breakfast
This is one of those US chain hotels which still ask a fortune for Wifi in the room. Amazing while simple bed and breakfast places offer free wifi these days.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Koen H, Manager at Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear Scirocco-frk,
Thank you for your sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.
I am happy to read that you found our staff to be pleasant and the location to be good.
That said, I am disappointed to hear you experienced slow service at our hotel.
Especially check in we want to always make quick and pleasant as Paradise Awaits!
I apologize for not making that happen for you. We will work on this!
I hope to have the opportunity to show you a great all round experience when you come back to Curacao.
Please feel free to call upon me if I can assist in any way. I am at your service!
Sunny regards,
Director of Operations
Novi, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Very clean and ‘western’. The rooms could have been in a US hotel. Nothing unique or charming…but good sized room with small fridge, a nice flatscreen TV, comfortable bed, and large bathroom. The resort is relatively small (tiny by Mexico all inclusive standards). They have all inclusive, but when I was checking in someone was arguing over their all inclusive bill. Apparently, there are many menu and call liquor exclusions and some fees aren’t included. It’s not a “wristband” all inclusive, you sign for everything and it is itemized.
The pool area is very nice, as is the beach which is only a few steps from the pool. The water wasn’t calm, even inside the breakwater, while I was there. I didn’t see anyone snorkeling. There were people snorkeling in a cove/beach by Fort Piscadera, which is a short walk down the beach.
The food was good but expensive. They add 24% onto the published price for tax/service charge. The least expensive lunch items were about $12 US, with the average being closer to $18 US (before the 24%). A beer was about $5, and they are smaller than the 12 oz beers you are probably used to back home. Expect to pay at least $25 for your dinner entrée.
The evening lounge area is behind the pool and elevated about 1.5 floors, giving it a nice breeze and view of the ocean. They had nice live music at night and the place had a really relaxing vibe – upscale & festive, not ‘spring break’ or overbearing.
It’s a long walk into town (probably 4K each way), but ½ of is it along a wide path by the ocean. The path is great for a morning run. There is a medium size grocery store within walking distance (1 or 2K) where you can pick up breakfast and sandwich items and inexpensive beer/sodas – bring your own bags, they didn’t have any. Or you can catch a cab to Centrum if you don’t have a car and don't want to carry bags

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Curacao Marriott Beach Resort & Emerald Casino? Share your experiences!