“Civilized Caribbean” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Willemstad
Lincoln, Massachusetts
“Civilized Caribbean”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I found the location a cross between Miami beach and affluent Caribbean as Curacao is a relatively well-to-do island thanks to the Dutch influence and a refinery once owned by Shell. It is not your typical tucked away island retreat.

Lions Dive is a generally pleasant resort with friendly people. We had a "run of the house room" which I advise against. Though similar in setup to other rooms, it seemed to be tucked into available space and the outside terrace offered little to write home about. In fact, the air conditioning unit blew hot air onto you as you sat outside. Ugh! The rooms with pool and ocean views were much nicer and worth the extra money.

The food, put simply, was terrible. I highly recommend walking across the way to Augustos which is at the Sea Aquarium. You can see it easily from Hemingway's, one of the main restaurants at Lions Dive. I would also recommend going out of the resort. Recommended as well is the Indian restaurant in the Boulevard mall, just down the beach.

A surprise to us was becoming Holland soccer fans as we went during the World Cup. What a great experience!

Now, about diving with Ocean Encounters, the diver operator on site.
Dive operator and dive masters were very friendly and generally accommodating. However, on the whole, with only one exception, they lacked enthusiasm. Some dive masters just hung out 5-10 feet above the divers pointing out little. The operation was well run however and our dives were without problem. I will point out, unlike other dive operators, divers had to schlep all their equipment each day, back and forth between one's dive locker and the boat. I would have preferred that once the equipment was set up on the boat, the dive operator would wash it down and set it up for the next day's dives. Most other dive operations I've been with do this as SOP. As I was moving my weights, BCD, octopus, fins, mask and snorkel, this required three trips back and forth to the lockers. I would recommend that Ocean Encounters reconsider this arrangement.

Another factor was the surface swells. I would classify most entries as rough entries and difficult for beginners. Exits were also difficult for beginners as you would need to grab onto the unanchored floating line with a life preserver ring at its end, and as you approached the boat, remove your fins holding on to this line. The water was too rough to hold the boat's ladder and remove fins. Then once your fins were handed off to the waiting dive master, you needed to pull yourself on the line the rest of the way to the ladder, time the swells, grab the ladder whose first rung was slippery as it was round, not flat and without friction tape, and climb the ladder onto the boat. Not necessary difficult for experienced divers, but tricky for beginners. Beginners will learn fast what to do and not do.

Room Tip: Do not pick "run of the house."
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
vienna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

we stayed 7 nights in lions dive and enjoyed it. check in was friendly and we quickly got our room. we booked standard garden view which means you do not have any beach view, but for us this is ok as we do not spend time in room unless for sleeping. we liked hemingways very much, nice food and drinks directly on the beach. that's what i expect when i come to the carribean. we also had breakfast there. so great sitting on the beach in the morning. good choice of bread and fresh made eggs. beach area is nice and clean , at our time plenty of place. we ate twice at nemos and liked it very much. we definitly can reccomend staying there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stayed at Lions Dive in January 2014 and enjoyed everything about my stay. Our room was located just above the lobby, with the door facing the parking lot, but it was not noisy and we could even see the ocean from our balcony. It was more of a hike to the beach area, but not bad and once we were at the beach we didn't need to go back to the room anyway. The resort was very clean and the beach is wonderful. We never once had trouble finding chairs on the beach, which surprised me, and grabbing a mojito from Hemmingway and then watching the sunset was a delightful way to spend each evening. We ate at all of the restaurants onsite. Lunch at Hemmingway was a bit disappointing, but it was an alright spot for a snack (we tried some traditional Dutch snacks a few times). We ate at Nemo twice and found it delicious for dinner. Mainly we ate at Piazza and fell in love with their pesto, calamari, pizzas and tomato soup. I would import that pesto if I could. We hung out at Hemmingway most evenings or wandered down the beach if there were parties going on. I also utilized the Dive Shop on site and spent several days out on boat dives. The shop was run very professionally and it was no problem to reschedule a morning of diving when we decided to go on another excursion instead. All in all I had a fantastic time at Lions Dive and hope to return soon. Only one thing was a bit strange: in all of our wandering of the property, we never managed to stumble upon the spa and fitness facility. We never asked, as we weren't concerned about it, we just found it amusing.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We weren't staying at the resort but were looking for a beach to spend the day at while our ship was in port. this is a little walk down from Mambo beach where most people typically go but it was well worth the walk and the day fees for us to use it. Beautiful clear waters with OK snorkeling along the rocks. It was not crowded and the employees were very very friendly. I would come here in a heartbeat if I was to re-visit Curacao.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I took my family here in November . We had a poolside room. I was a little disappointed in the room as it didn't give us access to the pool, we had to walk around the the building to get to the pool. It wasn't a priority as I am here to be in the ocean not the pool!
The ocean was excellent as there is a lagoon in front of the beach, it was a man made wall that the wildlife was abundant , the beach where we stayed was a little rough on the feet but other sections were fine. There is other sections of beach but they were packed and this section was closer to our room, access was more important.
The meal were filling, we got the breakfast and dinner plans and left lunch out as we got groceries. There is a shuttle that will take you there and back, get there early as the bus fills up.The meals were great and the waits are typical of the Caribbean resorts, slow but there is no rush
I am a diver and I dove with Ocean Encounters. They are basically attached to the resort . The staff there was excellent as well.
Overall the whole resort and diving was excellent, I was able to do what I enjoyed and my wife and the kids were able to do what they wanted all in one place. the staff attended to our needs and the grounds were kept in pristine shape. I would go back as there was plants to do there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Stayed at this hotel in November 2013. Had a beautiful room with seaview overlooking the beach. The service was excellent. Breakfast very good with a lot of choice and nice location on the beach. Other meals were ok, not haute quisine! Well located for tours and visits to the Capital of Willemstad. Recommended!

Room Tip: Take a room with sea view, on the beach
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

We have been back almost two weeks from our vacation at Lions Dive. I have missed it daily and have taken to watching the live webcam of the beach there.

We had an ocean front suite which had an incredible balcony/veranda overlooking the ocean and beach and our favorite bar, the Chill!

What really MADE the stay there though were the people who made us feel so welcome. I would like to mention Dalies, the concierge, who could get you anything you wanted, the help (especially Cindy) at the Piazza restaurant where we often ordered our dinners to take back to our veranda and Najat who mainly worked the front desk but could also help you with anything.

The Chill Bar on the beach was wonderful. The two guys who seem to run it, make you feel special and serve wonderful drinks. Try the Mojitos and frozen Cappuccinos!

I would advise not to use the spa next door, The Santai Spa. The manager was the opposite of the staff at the Lions Dive. When we checked out of the hotel the Spa had billed us twice for our treatments then the next day added and extra $40.00. Luckily Lions Dive removed the extra charges from our bill.

Go to Lion's Dive! The people are wonderful!

Room Tip: We loved the one bedroom oceanfront suite. The balcony is where we lived.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Lions Dive & Beach Resort Curacao? Share your experiences!