“Beautiful views & great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avila Hotel - Curacao

You added Avila Hotel - Curacao to your Saves list
Avila Hotel - Curacao
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Penstraat 130 | P.O. Box 791, Willemstad 130134, Curacao   |
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Willemstad
Espoo, Finland
“Beautiful views & great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at the Avila hotel. We stayed at the Blues wing which we can strongly recommend! You get a balcony right above the sea so the views are amazing. We were lucky to get a room with a larget balcony with our own sunbeds so we could enjoy the sun in our own privacy!

The food in the restaurants was good and especially the Blues restaurant above the sea is worth experiencing. The breakfast was good but the same every day which was a bit of a disappointment but the food was still good and thete was plenty of selection.

There's also a shop in the hotel which we appreciated.

The service was good but from time to time a bit slow and although goood, not as excellent as you would get in a five star hotel.

Location of the hotel is excellent! It's about a 15 minute walk from Willemstad but still at a very peaceful location. The resort has good private beaches and all the amenities so basically you don't need to leave the hotel if you don't want to :)

All in all a great experience and we can recommend this to anyone!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

We went there for our honeymoon and we were absolutely satisfied and delighted with this hotel in every aspect imaginable. The room was perfect, just as published. The cleaning was excellent, the food in the restaurants (including the breakfast) was delicious, and last but not least the staff was really friendly and made you feel at home. Totally recommended!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Lititz, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I have never written any type of review before but my experience at the Avila Hotel in general and the interactions with Chris at the front desk and Mimi as the manager in particular have prompted me to take time to write this review. At first we just felt like a number and had a room which fell way below our expectations and even resulted in my wife crying. Initially, my interactions with the front desk were not helpful but then I was fortunate that Chris became involved. The hotel was full but he actually wrote me a nice letter that night letting me know that he would do everything he could to help get a room change including bringing my disappointment to the attention of the manager, Mimi. Wow- Mimi and Chris get customer service. I could tell that they were genuinely happy for us that they could move us into an upgraded room with a fantastic view of the ocean (which was our concern all along) at no extra expense. This took a few days to accomplish but I knew that they were doing their best while we waited for a room to become available rather than feeling like I was just being ignored or being given the tourist happy talk and no action. In particular, I want to recognize and recommend Mimi to future travelers. She was fantastic and the Avila is fortunate to have her. She was so instrumental in turning a disappointing vacation experience into a FANTASTIC experience for by myself and my wife.

As for the Avila Hotel itself, if you like snorkeling in warm and clear water with LOTS of sea life, they have it in their seawall protected and private beach. I snorkeled every day. We went on a snorkeling excursion and the sea life was actually better right at our little beach outside our wonderful room.

The downsides to Avila really aren't Avila but what many other travelers have noted in that the adjacent neighborhood isn't the greatest and food prices are a bit high. In looking at some negative reviews of the Avila, the fact is that it is a small resort trying to provide all of the services of a large resort on a smaller scale. We wanted more of a small resort experience as we have been at large resorts before in the Caribbean. None the less, this is an island we hope to return to and we will stay at the Avila Hotel. Curacao is going to be easier to get to for travelers from the USA as direct flights are to start in December or January from NYC. I recommend both the island and Avila Hotel for USA travelers and hope that you have the good fortune of dealing with people like Mimi and Chris to make it a wonderful trip as they did for us. By the way, Peter was great with Peter Tours of the island.

Room Tip: Make it clear that a view of the ocean is important to you if that is what you want. There are very...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

The reason we chose the Avila was because of all the great reviews on TripAdvisor. Well, after visiting this poor excuse for a luxury resort - I have to assume that the people writing the reviews are the employees. Let me keep this short and to the point:
- Dirty, small rooms.
- Lazy, unfriendly staff
- Small, cigarette butt infested beach
- Bad chefs / understaffed restaurants

If you want to get a true idea of what this place is all about - read the "Poor" reviews here on TripAdvisor. I can tell you that after staying here they are highly accurate.

And yes, we did our best to discuss our issues with the "Manager" who was nothing more than condescending. Finally after 3 days we left the hostel and checked into a real luxury resort - the Marriott. So do yourself a favor if you want to visit Curacao - avoid this dump!

Room Tip: Get a room at the Marriott or the Hilton
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
AvilaManagment, General Manager at Avila Hotel - Curacao, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Bruins72,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your TripAdvisor review. We always appreciate receiving feedback in order to stay focused and learn from our guest’s experience in order to improve.

We are sorry that your stay was not as you expected it to be. I personally shared your feedback with the appropriate departments to improve in upholding the cleanliness of the beach & rooms and also the staffing in our restaurant during busy evenings.

We do our utmost to keep our hotel and services on the highest level. We recently upgraded the entire Blueswing. Our room sizes comply to international standards, and we try always to fulfill personal preferences. During your stay we upgraded the original reservation and offered you a Octagon Deluxe room (46 square meters / 495 square feet).

The Avila Hotel celebrated its 65th anniversary this year, which makes us the oldest operational hotel on Curacao. Our restaurants have also been around for many years. We choose our Chefs delicately, we have company standards and we train our Staff on a weekly base on our procedures. It is our aim to offer our guests only the very best. With over 6 decades of experience in hospitality and the fact that we received many prestigious awards from global travel platforms, we know about the expectations of international guests. Unfortunately, we could not meet your expectations.

We truly appreciate your feedback. We always strive to give all of our customers’ true value for what they deserve. I invite you to contact me at pkok@avilahotel.com if there are any additional thoughts you would like to share with me.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Kok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

After spending 10 days at the Avila we didn't want to ever leave the island. This is the perfect hotel for honeymooners, young couples( with and without children ), more mature travellers, professionals who have to be in Curacao for business. Within a couple of hours you will make lifelong friends or remain totally anonymous if you so wish. It is a gem of a hotel - quiet, lush, private, but only a 10 minute walk from Punda (town). The pace is relaxed and the service is ever so friendly. With four different restaurants you have a choice of different cuisines, all in beautiful seaside settings. Regulars have been returning for over 30 years, first coming with their children, now also introducing their grandchildren to this lovely hotel. We've just checked out but are planning to return at Easter.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Caribbean Sea!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Oakdale, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Wow! A wonderful resort that is not very "Americanized". During our 14 day stay, we only met 4 other Americans - most of the guests were Dutch, with other Europeans and Latin Americans. It was great to become friends with couples from The Netherlands, Sweden, and Belgium. Located within a short walk of downtown Willemstad for easy access to it (Avila also has a complimentary shuttle), it is in a neighborhood that gives you a feel for what the country is like outside of the typical resort bubble and the touristy downtown shopping areas. Also only a short walk to a local grocery store to save money on eating out all the time. We always felt safe walking around the island, even at night. The resort has two "pools" directly connected to the Carribean for great swimming (fish come into the pools, including pufferfish and eels, and many folks were snorkeling in them), and lots of areas for sunning on the beach - this is where we spent most of our time. Also a nice outdoor pool. Food options are great on the resort, including the Blues Bar, the Pool Bar, and the Schooner Bar. Several nice restaurants within walking distance, too, particularly Rozendaels across the street. Staff were very friendly and helpful - at thedesk, the restaurants, and housekeeping! There is a great tower at the end of the Blues Wing that gives great views of the sea and coast, and the sunset. Our room was very nice in the Octogon Wing, with a balcony overlooking the resort, pools, and out to the sea. I would love to go back again! (For English speakers - no real language barrier issues).

Room Tip: Blues Wing and many Octagon Wing rooms are in a good location to access resort facilities, and to ha...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Ear Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Be forewarned, this will be longwinded!

We spent 6 nights at the Avila Hotel at the beginning of April 2014. This was our first experience ever being in the Caribbean and I was just blown away at how beautiful this hotel is. Right from the lobby, up to our room. I absolutely loved nearly everything about this hotel.

We stayed in the Blues wing in room 291 and the views from this room are absolutely dynamo. This room is at the very end of the pier on the upper floor, is big, super private and has an amazing unobstructed view of the ocean. This room had a private balcony with two loungers and we spent quite a lot of time just enjoying the view. It did start to get absolutely sweltering as the sun started to crest, but that's no fault of the hotel. The room itself is somewhat dated, but still very comfortable. It features both European and North American outlets throughout the main room, but only European in the bathroom. My only issue with the room(and it's a small issue) is that the bathroom is a little dingy. It's not outright gross, but it could use a spring cleaning and retiling as there were a few broken shower tiles. This isn't enough to overrule how amazing the rest of the room is. Also, the room always felt a little bit damp and it was hard to dry our swim suits and towels.

Our first night we didn't get to the hotel until nearly 8:00pm, so we dined at the Blues Bar. I had no idea what a Pincho was, but our server was super friendly and had no qualms about answering all of my naïve questions about the local fare. Needless to say, my assorted meat Pincho was so succulent and tasty. I recommend at least one visit to this restaurant.

Our first morning we explored the hotel grounds. Colourful crabs adorn the pier behind the Blues Restaurant and it was amusing to watch them scuttle around. The grounds are well manicured, beaches are always clean. The size of the crowd at the beach ebb and flowed but we found that no matter what time we hit the beach, there was always a couple of free chairs. There are those selfish people who "hold" chairs with their towels all day, but those are the minority.

My Fiancé also surprised me with dinner on the beach on the Belle Terrace side. There was an issue with our reservation at first in which they booked us on a date that they couldn't facilitate due to a fancy Italian guest chef cooking at the restaurant that night. But, they were very helpful in accommodating us on a different night. Now, it is pricy, but so beautiful. They set out a blanket on the beach with a squat table and pillows all around it and surrounded by small potted torches. Super romantic. Our server (I really wish I could remember his name, I think he may have been the Manager??) was absolutely amazing. He explained every dish to us in detail and the chef prepared every course special for us. So delicious. You really felt like royalty being out there by yourself having so much attention paid to you and your meal. It was great.

I WOULD AVOID THE BREAKFAST BUFFET IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!!! Don't bother paying the extra to have it included with your room. It's super expensive and it was a horrible experience. The guests were super pushy and rude and it was incredibly busy. We got there about 8:00am and all that was there were scraps. The second more food was brought out, the guests were all over it like vultures. I was able to round up a croissant, bacon, and some pancake scraps...The food was just kind of "meh". What you'd expect of a crazy busy breakfast buffet. We did this once and decided that for $22 per person, we could find somewhere better to eat in the morning (Which we did, amazing cafes just down the street in Punda. Pleincafe Wilhelmina, go there!)

We felt super safe the entire stay of our trip. There was security at the front of the hotel entrance to the lobby at all hours. We went into Punda and Otrobanda every single day and we always walked everywhere. Our first few nights we took the advice of the front desk staff and took a taxi home after dark, but as we became more accustomed to the area we started to walk back to the hotel in the evening. We felt very safe even if the hotel is on a dark seaside street. The few people we met on the street were other tourists, or locals going about their own business. I'm not saying to go ahead and walk home after dark. I'm just saying that we did, and we felt ok to do so.

I really recommend getting off the hotel and going to explore. Rent a car and drive around the island to really experience the place. When we go back we will rent a car for a couple more days. Perhaps from the Airport, as our experience with the Budget Car rental at the hotel was not positive. We dealt with 2 different women on two different days and neither of them seemed like they were super keen on being there or renting us a car and we felt rushed the whole time. I don't think they work for Avila hotel, but rather for Budget, so no fault to the hotel.

We are already planning our next trip to Curacao for April 2015, and you can guarantee that we will be staying at the Avila again. We've already done the Blues wing, so I'm excited to see what the Octagon Wing has to offer as I've heard it's new and quite modern. I CAN'T WAIT!

Room Tip: Blues Room 291 is top floor at the end of the Pier. Gorgeous and quiet!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
AvilaHotelCuracao, Public Relations Manager at Avila Hotel - Curacao, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Kathy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your TripAdvisor review. We always appreciate receiving reviews in order to stay focused and learn all about our guest experience to work on improvement.

We are pleased to hear that you were blown away by the Avila Hotel. We do our utmost to keep improving on our hotel and service. You mentioned your love for our Blues wing. We are happy to share the news that all 20 rooms in our Blues wing have been renovated, with a strong focus on the bathrooms and will be re-opening next week.

We were sorry to read about your breakfast experience in the Avila Cafe. Our breakfast buffet is very popular for a lot of our hotel guests, so when the hotel is fully booked like it was during your stay in April, it can be busy particularly around 8:00 AM when it is peak hour. Of course we try to keep track of the amount of items on our breakfast buffet closely, but we will share this feedback with our breakfast crew. Besides this, we extended our breakfast time, also in order to relieve the peak hour a little more.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Avila Hotel next year and suggest you tryout our new Blues wing rooms. Thank you once more for submitting your valuable review and for staying at the Avila Hotel!

Sunny regards from the entire Avila Hotel team

Been to Avila Hotel - Curacao? Share your experiences!