“Relaxing Resort close to Willemstad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avila Hotel - Curacao

Save Saved
You added Avila Hotel - Curacao to your Saves list
Avila Hotel - Curacao
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Penstraat 130 | P.O. Box 791, Willemstad 130134, Curacao   |
Ranked #8 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
Zug
“Relaxing Resort close to Willemstad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Worst things first:
a) 8AM in the morning: "HOUSEKEEPING!" - knock knock - "HOUSEKEEPING!" - knock knock - Loud staff Chatter in Papiamentu in the floor.
We always had our DND-sign out from evening to morning. Unacceptable for us was the fact that Housekeeping starts at 8AM to knock loudly on the other doors.
Either start shielding the rooms better from outside noise or reorganise your housekeeping.
On the plus side: You have a living alarm clock if you like to get up early (for holidays)

b) Waiting time to check-in - Our rooms weren't ready on arrival. We had to wait for 90minutes - Management compensated this with a voucher for 2 cocktails (which are amazing at this resort - Try the golden Mojito). Communication during this time was only reactive and NOT proactive. We had to keep inquiring what was going on every 30min and were excused with "in 15 minutes"

c) Breakfast times. At 10 o'clock the breakfast was taken away - no regard to guests or inquiry if they would like to grab something before they close up

d) Booking as a couple on anniversary we got a room with two separate beds but got transfered the next day. Communication as in b) was not very timely

-----

Don't put too much weight into these point though. Our 1-week-stay was very nice otherwise.
Footwalk downtown takes about 15minutes but the hotel also offers a FREE shuttle service to the city (recommended during very hot days)
If the on-site restaurants & bars are not enough for you there are plenty of other restaurants around the corner.

Oddly though that on-site staff was trying very hard to be friendly, it felt artificial. Curacao has a lot to learn on the service/friendliness side.

The hotel room was amazing (we had octagon room 210) including a fridge and kitchen, supersized sink, great shower & bathtub (who needs the tub when you have a pool & beach?)

The hotel offered us to take a shower to freshen up before our flight even after check-out - this is a huge plus.

When the weather isn't too windy the snorkeling experience was nice on-site. we hope though that the next time somebody hops in, there won't be a barracuda 1m long anymore.

Visit all the restaurants and try the golden mojito

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

517 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Avila Hotel for one week in September and it was the best week we've ever spent. We chose Avila after reading several reviews on Avila and the competition. To help make my decision, I emailed the hotel to ask a few questions. They responded quickly and were extremely friendly! Upon check in we were greeted with a smile and had just about the quickest hotel check in process I've ever experienced. A Bellman was called to gather our suitcases and show us to our room. Along the way to the room our Bellman gave us a very detailed tour of the property. Upon entering our room (I'll speak more about that soon) our Bellman showed us how everything worked, which switched controlled what, the air conditioning controls and even the balcony door controlled A/C. He was GREAT! Now to room 216. WOW! I've stayed at many nice hotels and many of them were beach front. This hotel room was simply breathtaking. The clean, spacious layout was perfect. The separated rooms was a treat. The bathroom was spacious and our balcony overlooked the pool and the ocean. I wouldn't have traded rooms for anything! Avila had a welcome card and a complimentary bottle of wine chilled and ready for us. We opened the wine while we unpacked for our vacation and then went to the private beaches on property. The water was warm, the beaches were clean and the Schooner Bar was ready to help us celebrate our arrival. After swimming in the ocean a bit we went to one of the on site stores and bought snorkel gear. I couldn't believe how many beautiful fish hang out right there at the beach hotel. BEAUTIFUL. While staying at Avila we ate snack food at the Schooner Bar (spicy wings) and have several drinks. The evening staff was amazing! We went to Burger Night at the Blues Bar & Restaurant and had the best service I've ever experienced, thanks Kenneth! We also had breakfast at Belle Terrace Restaurant and it was the best breakfast buffet with several options including an omelet bar and delicious fresh fruit. I recommend all three to you! The hotel is within walking distance to downtown Willemstad which you can make one or two days worth of activities out of, but I recommend renting a car and driving around the island because there are some really beautiful parts of Curaçao worth exploring. Cas Abou Beach and Knip Beach are both worth a visit. Our room service cleaned our room and made sure we had fresh linens and towels daily, they did a great job and even let us sleep in. This hotel is so focused on creating a positive experience that they even left a Happy 30th Birthday card in the room for me. WOW!!! There are many beautiful resorts and hotels on the island, but I couldn't have been happier with Avila. My partner and I went and visited some other properties during our trip and always left saying, "I'm glad we chose Avila!" Thank you for making our Curaçao trip and my 30th Birthday so memorable. I feel like I left a piece of my heart at Avila Hotel.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Avila Hotel location, beach, and grounds are absolutely beautiful. Very tropical, with their coconut and plantain trees, thatch roofed beach huts, white sands, and clear blue sea waters. We loved the atmosphere and service at the Schooner Bar on the beach. We were really there for the Caribbean vibe, so all this made it worth it to us.

However, the hotel facilities in general were somewhat less than I had come to expect from travelling for business. The weather is very humid, and our hotel room had been shut up before we got there because it was the off season. When we turned on the air conditioning, there was so much condensation that it pooled on the tile floor, and we had to mop it up with towels. This is probably just the result of the weather, but it was unexpected. Also, the restaurants had odd hours, and the food wasn't that great. One day housekeeping just skipped us, but another day they responded to a note we left and gave us extra coffee as requested. We seemed to not get washcloths after the first few days, though.

So, as a hotel it was less than stellar, but the fabulous beach and grounds, as well as the Schooner bar, more than made up for it for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the Belle Alliance rooms with a partial ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The room was clean and we always had sufficient towels and ice. Desk staff was helpful. The Wi fi was very good and wide spread in the public areas. The food at the beach bar was good at the Barista Cafe not so much. I was not real impressed with the staff at the Belle Terrace but the shrimp and chicken at the buffet were good as were the veggie dishes. The place was easy walking distance to Punda..
I have a suggestion to improve the shower set up; install baskets between whose bars ones soap and small containers will not slip through.
The beach and pool were both well maintained. Some of the best snorkeling on the island can be accessed on the Avila beach.

Room Tip: The room we had in the Ocatgon Tower was very small. We got a better one in an older part of the bui...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Princeton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I have stayed at the Avila since it was a very small hotel without the Octagaon, Blues Wing, and the Villas or the pool. It has always been an exceptional property with a very special feeling. When you stay at the Avila you feel as if you have really gotten away. The Belle Alliance with Water View is a favorite of mine as is the Blues Wing with a room on the second floor looking in at the beach. The rooms on the other side facing Willemstad are much hotter during the day.

There is an indescribable charm to this hotel. The fact that most guests are Dutch or South American adds a special feel. You have to be accepting of the fact that the beaches are coves and not long strands as is true with most beaches on the island.

Being walking distance to Willemstad also is a major plus.

Just suggested this hotel to a couple and they raved about the experience.

As I wrote in the title, this is really an old favorite of mine with many special memories.

Room Tip: In Blues Wing, rooms facing the beach are cooler and second floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed at Avila Hotel August 15-23, 2013 and could not have been more pleased. As a solo traveler, I was initially concerned by some of the reviews I read regarding the area, however, once I arrived, I had NO worries. The location of the hotel definitely has some revitalization in progress within the surrounding streets, but it is certainly not anything that should deter someone from choosing this hotel. The area is also PERFECT for some of the BEST restaurants on the Island. You are only a "very" short walk to a variety of them....Fishalicious, Rozendael's, Seasons, etc. A 25-minute walk (not 10 minute as Island people will tell you) will take you directly to the center of the city and the famous swinging bridge and waterfront cafes.

As for the hotel itself, the staff is unbelievable....a huge kuddos to all!!! I stayed in the Octagon section and the room was spacious and very clean. I ate at all the restaurants on site, and enjoyed them all. Jazz night at Blues is a must!! If I had to say one negative thing about the hotel, it would be that the hotel only has only one pool area, which is very beautiful, but was overtaken by children. Most of whom were not supervised by their parents, who remained at the beach area, therefore, those adults without children could not relax or swim because of flying toys, screaming kids, floats and water games. I really think with the type of guests that Avila has, they should seriously invest in a separate pool area for the kids since this pool is too small for playing children "and" adults. Other than that, I have no complaints and definitely plan to return!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed at Avila for a week and we absolutely loved it. We have travelled all over the world and never have a stayed at a resort with such a friendly welcoming staff. The food was incredible and the private beaches were awesome. We had such a relaxing enjoyable time at Avila that I would recommend it to anyone. Everything is so easy at Avila, we can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The rooms above the pool are the best
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Avila Hotel - Curacao? Share your experiences!