“Great Place to Stay - Renaissance” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 30% off Leisure Rate
Ranked #4 of 27 hotels in Willemstad
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Great Place to Stay - Renaissance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel staff are very pleasant and willing to serve. The food is tasty, except the fish which needs more seasonings. The rooms are comfortable and cleaned excellently. The only drawback is that the pool closes at 7:00 pm sharp and the second floor lacks privacy and smells because of the high traffic of non-guests in Starbucks and the stale smell of ground coffee. None of the other floors have this smell or such high traffic, There could be more security at the entrance and there were too many non-guests with easy access to anywhere on the hotel compound.

When going to town AVOID THE STORE CONNECTIONS. They were very unscrupulous in their sales policy charging arbitrary prices as well as PnP which also seems a bit shady in dealing with non-residents. BE EXTRA CAREFUL. Shop around before purchasing from those stores and different branches have very different prices. I believe they charge based on how much money they think they can fleece from you.
But overall GREAT EXPERIENCE!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are smelly with high non-guest traffic .
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

826 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Homestead, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from a 5 day trip to Curacao. We stayed at the Renaissance. the only bad side was the cigarette smell as soon as you walk in the lobby. We had a room on the 2nd floor and you could actually smell it all the way to the room. Once you went in your room you didn't smell it any longer. Such a nice place to stay but they really need to do something about that cigarette smell. Other than that I would give it a 5 star. The staff is very friendly. Very nice people in Curacao. I loved their man made beach it was one of the highlights of our trip. I was not impressed with the beaches on the west side due to the rocks. I would advise for you to take water shoes if you are planning on excursions to any of the beaches in Curacao. The beaches are beautiful though.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for over three months. Other than some minor issues all in all it's probably one of the nicer places to stay in Curaçao! The beach salt water pool has an outstanding view that rivals most beach views at other hotels. A full service bar at the pool so you can enjoy some great cocktails while enjoying the sunshine! The location of the hotel is perfect for walking to a bunch of different attractions. The refrigerator is rather small if you are spending much time there. It fits about a six pack of beer only. The food is good to the taste but rather expensive. The staff is some of the friendliest people I have ever encountered at a hotel. From the door men to the managers everyone always seems to be extremely happy to help you! I would stay at this place again with out a doubt!

Room Tip: I would ask for an ocean facing room! It's a little more expensive but you get a great view and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sykesville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This was a return trip and again a much needed week of vacation and SCUBA diving after a strenuous period at work. Our last trip was in November 2011. This trip, we had a ocean view room with a balcony. When we arrived, the hotel offered to upgrade us to a large suite, which was beautiful, but we declined figuring correctly: we really were not in our room that much. The man-made “Infinity Beach” is still exceptional and very relaxing. With the hotel at 85% occupancy, we hardly ever saw anyone, and as usual, there were plenty of beach towels and chairs (same as our previous visit). Again, this week, after a morning of SCUBA, we spent the afternoons at the beach. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. This trip we got to know the Infinity Club bartenders. We sampled the daily cocktail, but eventually decided to pay the cork fee and bring our own wine to the beach for the afternoon. As with our previous trip, we rented a car from Budget, but unlike last time, we had no issues with the car – either driving the 20 minutes from the airport (a very easy drive), or the 20 minutes to and from Ocean Encounters at Lions Dive and Beach Resort, which I will review separately. We found the food at the resort very plentiful and better than our previous trip. Based upon our previous trip, I did not sample the buffet; my wife had the buffet breakfast on our last morning and it was quite tasty. The resort also has restaurants throughout the Rif Fort area, so there are lots of choices. We ate and drank at Soprano’s and enjoyed sitting outside enjoying the warm weather (and a cigar or two). We did not go into the casino; it did have a rather dour odor of stale smoke. As with our last trip, there was always a broken monitor in one of the elevators. We ate at the Bistro Le Clochard , Ema –Tei and a new restaurant: Royal Dutch Cheesery. The latter is now our new favorite, which I will review separately.

New Castle, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We could not have asked for better accommodations. Check in was quick and smooth. The hotel decor was very modern, the staff was very welcoming, courteous and polite. The hotel was located in the heart of the city. Everything from high end shopping to the local markets was within walking distance. The hotel has a great man-made beach and two infinity pools. The beach had an outdoor bar and a massage area. The hotel food was very good. We were there for seven days and enjoyed room service for dinner twice and breakfast once. We were able to get our rental car there at the hotel as well as book our attractions and adventures. The concierge, Alexis was very nice and gave us a tour of the hotel and got us situated. The hotel manager Freddy Castillo was great and checked with us regularly to make sure we were enjoying our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
NSuper, Manager at Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear EDR1103,

We really appreciate you took the time to right such a positive review about Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino!

It most definitely sounds like you have enjoyed the entire stay and that really makes us feel good about what we are doing! At Renaissance we are all in the business to create wonderful experiences and help each guest discover something new and it sounds like we have accomplished that with you!

It would be wonderful if we could welcome yo back once more to our resort!

Grapevine, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The hotel is in a great location, within an easy walk to lots of dining and shopping in old town. The service was amazing--putting hospitality back into the hospitality businesses. but the most amazing is the man-made beach on an otherwise rocky beach, where a large invisible-edge pool, with plenty of sand and palms, overlooks the ocean, creating the illusion and reality that you really are at the beach!

Room Tip: Find good deals in shoulder seasons. If you opt for ocean view, go at least to third floor if you w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
NSuper, Manager at Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Chris C,

We would like to thank you for your positive review!

We always strive to provide excellent service and it is absolutely pleasing to hear you found our service amazing! Our Infinity Beach is unique and we are very proud of this private treasure!

We certainly hope you will return to our resort soon!

Marietta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

When you open the hotel'a lobby main doors the strong smelling odor to cigarette is the first slap in your face. Welcome. It is impossible to stand!

Then, the casino is only few meters away from the lobby, (no more than 100 meters) so while you wait at the front desk is like having an annoying and persistent bee hives noise torturing your ears. A lady with a microphone keeps talking which makes the environment more annoying. You feel like in an airport!

Service at the front desk is terribly slow. The front desk manager Freddy Castillo, is a very nice Venezuelan, respectful and courteous, and seems to be one of the few individuals at the hotel to fully understand what customer service is truly about.

Working with two trainees in a very busy Sunday afternoon ( isn't any other less busy time to train people?) it took me more than 35 minutes to have me checked in and have the room key. Finally, I headed to my room and when there, three ladies were standing in the door working in cleaning up what was supposed to be my room. One of the ladies visibly upset told me very rudely that was impossible I was pretending to get in the room because it wasn't ready. I advised her not to argue with me and for her to call the front desk directly to resolve the issue.

I headed back to the front desk when I found the front desk manager again, Freddy, who was trying to sort out another issue with a guest visibly upset because was waiting for long time to get a room and was short in time to get ready for a meeting. I told Freddy, the manager, briefly about the issue I had and due to the situation, I offered him to wait while he sorted out the other situation which was escalating in tension. He offered me to go to the bar and have a drink as hotel's courtesy. I did it. 15 minutes after, Freddy came back and professionally giving apologies handed me my new room key, in the third floor.

When I arrived to this new room room I realized, the window view is internal, in other words, to another bigger room that can be used for party purposes, cocktails, conferences, etc. at this time, nothing I was able to do.

If interested to learn about the room price it is of 165 US dollars per night, PLUS 12.99 per night for internet access. Every morning my breakfast (eggs, coffee, slice of bread, glass of juice) costed 26 extra dollars.....I have to say I am a Marriott Reward program member AND a time share owner. Nothing of this made any difference. They said I was not at the right level...

The first night I've asked for foam pillows before I left the room on my way for a business dinner. I went to the front desk to expressly request them and gave my room number for that purpose. I came back at 11 pm to my room. The pillows were not there. I called again. 5 minutes later someone knocked the door and when I opened it, she was standing in front of me..,,carrying towels!. I nicely clarified that thank you but I wanted foam pillows. When finally I got the 'pillows' they were square, with the shape and size of a coach cushion, with pillow covers. At this point, nothing you can do.

The second day, I was intending to take a nap and at 5 pm someone knocked the room door. When I opened, it was a young man, intending to get on his tip toes taking a look inside of my room, making sign language with short interrupted words, which making an effort, I put together he wanted me to close the room curtains, which were already closed, because it was going to be a cocktail party in there.

As said, I am a Marriott time Share owner. I doubt I'll be back any time in my life with my family for a vacation. Thank you, but no.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
NSuper, Manager at Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear Hitebay,

Thank you for your review. We would like to address this with you further and therefore you will be personally contacted by Freddy Castillo.

Service & Quality Assurance Manager

Been to Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!