My wife and I just finished a 5 night stay at the Renaissance Curaçao Resort and have to say that once you get beyond the sparkling facade it's just an average hotel. We were familiar with the property from previous visits to the island and based on the location and notoriety of the company name we knew it would be a safe bet in comparison to other properties. It also helped as well that we got a very good deal based on the fact that we work in the travel industry, which was double checked at the time of check in!
First impressions upon check in we're quite good with the bellman serving us an ice cold bottle of water which after a long flight and humid drive in from the airport was a welcome treat! The check in process was quite standard and we were assigned a resort view room on the 2nd floor which looked out to the shops below and the parking garage opposite; as we are not fussed about the sea view this was fine and the room was quite large and spacious with a mini fridge, safe and well appointed bathroom. The bonus to being on the 2nd floor as well was that we were a few doors downi from the gym and even closer to the beach club.
As for the beach club, it's a nice touch to have a private beach area with 2 infinity pools overlooking the ocean; 1 saltwater and 1 chlorinated. It was nice to have the privacy of a personal beach without having to fight for lounge chairs or deal with the other annoyances of being on a large, busy beach. The Infinity bar wasn't very impressive however and the prices for drinks seemed a little inflated as was the case with all of the food & beverage options.
Overall the property is nice, but not $200+ USD a night nice in my opinion. Sure there are fancy shops on the ground level, which were virtually deserted when there were no cruise ships in port, and having a Starbucks nearby was handy as well, but if you are going to pay their rack rates I should think you would expect a bit more than the opportunity to shop in empty stores, drink a frappucino, or lose your money in a very meager casino.
Be advised as well that the taxi to/from the airport is about $30 each way and make sure if they call a taxi for you that you get the taxi number especially on a busy morning otherwise you will find yourself scrambling amongst others for the same ride as there is very little organization once you've checked out. Furthermore, there is a 15% service charge and 7% tax added daily to your bill so beware of 'sticker shock' at check out!
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance Curacao Hotel Willemstad
- Renaissance Curacao Resort And Casino
- Renaissance Curacao Hotel
- Renaissance Curacao Resort
- Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino Willemstad
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Curacao's capital city of Willemstad, in the heart of the Dutch Caribbean, the Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino offers experiences and activities for any traveler seeking the ambiance of authentic Caribbean charm combined with European sophistication. Featuring a private beach club, this Curacao resort is built around the historic setting of the Rif Fort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Venere, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Marriott, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Otel and Jetsetter so you can book your Renaissance Curacao Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.