“Very spacious rooms & lovely breakfasts on the beach” 4 of 5 stars

Blue Bay Curacao
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Landhuis Blauw z/n, Willemstad, Curacao   |
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Willemstad
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Very spacious rooms & lovely breakfasts on the beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

We had previously stayed in the Marriott on Curaçao and let me a sure you, Blue Bay is MUCH better. We had a lovely time here. We couldn't believe how spacious the rooms were AND they came with a little kitchen and living room of your own!

A lovely surprise was the free breakfast - upon arrival we were given coupons and each day we had a free breakfast buffet on the beach, we were not expecting this. It was a beautiful setting to start the day.

If you have kids then I would definitely pick Blue Bay. There is an actual Bay to start with so the water us calm and you can easily keep an eye on them. The beach is lovely and there are 3 different swimming pools to choose from. There used to be 4 but yes, one of them has been filled in with sand - I know people have complained about this but 1. this was to make a children's playground on 2. Isn't 3 swimming pools and the sea enough??!

Thus is a lovely family friendly resort. Reason for 4* not 5*, most accommodations are set back from the beach so you have to walk through a car park or across the golf course to reach the beach. Also, though the beach is lovely it is 4* rather than 5* as it is not as soft and fine as some beaches on the island.

I would definitely return here, value for money is very good and they are extremely family friendly.

Tip: if you can, rent a car, it is a beautiful island :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
the Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Recently stayed at the Ocean apartments part of the Blue Bay resort in Curacao. On the whole a thoroughly enjoyable experience and definitely a place that I would consider returning to.

The apartment (Ocean 8 on the 2nd floor) was clean and extremely spacious with a fantastic balcony/terrace overlooking the beach and the sea. The terrace really made the place and was great for hanging out in the evening with a beer or wine to watch the sunset and listen to the ocean.

The rest of the apartment was really spacious and generally well appointed. The kitchen utensils were definitely the only thing in the apartment that I would say was below par. There was too few and too old/poor quality utensils to work with. Cooking for yourself then is a fun challenge, but possible.

This wasn't going to spoil my opinion of this resort though as the beach area including restaurant and swim/dive shop was really great. Clean and with everything you could want. Beach staff were friendly and easy to make agreements with about how often they asked you if you wanted another beer or not. Resort staff on the whole were friendly and helpful and we had nothing to complain about. No the sand is not powder soft.... yes there are rocks and coral in the water, but if you want a water park, go to water park. This is a great beach to relax, read a book, drink a beer and swim/snorkel in the beautiful clear blue water.

Like many others, I would say that you definitely need a car if you're going to stay here and not eat in the restaurant each night (which might prove a little expensive and boring if you ask me). If only to go the local supermarket which is about 5km away but certainly if you want to investigate the rest of the island at all.

Room Tip: Ocean rooms definitely advisable and try to get a room on the 2nd or the 3rd floor... if you don'...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Norwell, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Blue Bay Beach looks beautiful. But lurking in the water are many rocks. 4 people by cab from the cruise terminal $30.00 each way. $8.00 pp entrance fee gives you chair, use of shower and changing room. Oh yes and swimming pool. Which no longer exists ( has been filled with sand but is still listed on the sign). Beach is VERY rocky. Had to swim over the rocks to try to find a non-rocky spot. None exist. Very rough on the feet. Bring water shoes. All in all, for 4 people entrance and round trip cab $92.00. Not worth it for a trip to a rocky beach . ,

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Curacao in a nutshell:
If you're looking for a big beautiful resort right on a powder white sand beach, Curacao probably isn't your island. The sand is on the coarse side on most beaches, and while the water is clear, blue, and beautiful, you MUST bring some water shoes to protect against the sharp rocks and coral near the shorelines. Curacao is the kind of place where you really need to venture out to appreciate. It's not like Mexico, or the Dominican Repulic with lots of luxury all-inclusives and it's not a place with a big American presence. If you aren't much for snorkeling or older European crowds, look elsewhere. If you're a water baby like me, you'll have a great time amongst the sea life.

The Importance of Renting a Car:
It has been said many times, but we ignored this advice thinking that the resort would have all we needed. Big Mistake. Since we went during Spring Break, by the time we figured out that we needed a car, we couldn't get one from the front desk because they were all booked for the week. Blue Bay was able to arrange all of our taxi needs with a wonderful driver named Maria Weverink who took us all over the island. But to be honest the taxi's were very expensive compared to other islands, so if you're on a budget, definitely rent a car.

Blue Bay:
Blue Bay is just okay. I'm on the fence as to whether I'd go back or not. We stayed in an apartment on the Hill, and if we ever went back, we would probably just get a villa. We didn't have power in our bedroom for the entire stay. We let the front desk know and maintenance came by to look at the breaker. Everything was fine from that perspective. Whatever it was that was wrong didn't get fixed during our stay. It wasn't that big of a deal because we spent most of our time outdoors anyway, but it seemed plausible to me that they knew the power was out and didn't do anything for previous guests, didn't do anything about it for us, and didn't intend to fix it for the next guest. We ran out of the complimentary shampoo and it wasn't replaced. The sheets weren't replaced, which was unfortunate for me because I tracked a little bit of sand in the bed from my feet. Trashbags were left in the hallways for hours at a time. The bed was pretty hard, but I was fine with that. The hotel didn't leave instructions for the safe, so I improvised and ended up needing them to open it for me. It was pretty weird. You had to take out the batteries every time you wanted to open and reclose it. The apartment itself was not bad at all. The furntiure was pretty and everything was modern. I loved the balcony! Overall, the gripes with the room weren't all that bad. We were there for a girl's trip and we were out and about a lot. If I had gone for a romantic getaway, I think I would have been upset. The AtoZ restaurant had good food but not very good service at all. There are very slim pickings for vegans, but I found a great salad that was vegan with the exception of goat cheese. I asked for them to leave off the goat cheese and long story short, the waiter outright refused my request and insisted that I pick it off and give it to my companion to eat. I couldn't believe someone would do that. Terrible customer service there. The wait times for food was incredibly long. Not just island time long, but seriously-what-the-hell-are-y'all-doing-back-there long. They did have a pretty amazing bread and olive tampenade that I could probably eat my weight in. The other guests were in general old, rude Europeans. No one smiles, no one says hello, everyone smokes. You literally can't get away from the smell of smoke while you're trying to relax on the beach, it's annoying. The saving grace of this hotel for me is the beach. It's one of the better ones in Curacao, and the snorkeling is pretty awesome. I spent HOURS swimming with schools of fish, taking underwater pictures, and hanging out on the floating platform they have. I saw lion fish, eels, trumpet fish, crabs... it was pretty great and all you had to do was walk down to the beach and put your fins on. I'm not sure how many other resorts on the island could compare snorkeling-wise and price-wise. It was also very quiet at night so you can enjoy your balcony the balcony in peace.

The Rest of the Island:
Don't pass up the chance to go to Klien Curacao. I'm serious. It's easily worth going to mainland curacao just so you can go to Klien Curacao. THAT is where you'll find white powder blue sand and the most beautiful turquoise and blue water imaginable. There is also rich sea life there. I swam with a sea turtle, saw a puffer fish, eels, and crabs. It was just awesome. Cas Abao is another must-visit beach. The sand is more powdery than other beaches and bigger, too. Not much sea life, but it's a great swimming beach and has beautiful sunsets.

Overall, our stay was okay. I had a good time, but it was more because of Klien Curacao, Cas Abao, and the snorkeling at Blue Bay and less due to their accomadations and service. I would say if you go here, rent a Villa, and don't expect too much. It's more or less a place to sleep while you do other fun stuff during the day.

Room Tip: Choose a Villa, skip the Hill
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

First of all you will need to rent a car, hotel is a long way from grocery store and taxis are expensive. $30 US will get you return journey to grocery store and 30 mins in store. $50US round trip into Willemstadt. The compound of hotel is huge and bus stop too far to walk to. Rent before you go, we found all cars were rented out when we wanted one.
We had a room in The Hill, it's a good 10 min walk to beach, and of course back is uphill. If you have any issues with mobility this could cause a problem, staff are not too receptive to driving you on golf cart.
The beach is very nice, compared to other hotel beaches on the island it is probably the best. However, sand is coarse as it's coral sand, take water shoes as there are lots of rocks in the water. Great diving on site. We took a tour to Klein Curaçao and the diving is better at Blue Bay.
Restaurant is very good but menu limited and doesn't change. There is no evening entertainment. Once a week there is happy hour in sunset bar, and once a month there is a movie night.
Our room, one bed apartment, was fine. Clean and fully equipped. Bed wasn't very comfortable. Room was a bit musty smelling at first but needed airing out and was fine after a day or 2. Pool close to Hill apts was nice and well kept.
Overall, Blue Bay is a nice resort but a long way from town. Curaçao is an industrial island, with a huge refinery in the centre. Although Willemstadt is very pretty I think there are nicer islands to visit.
A lot of weddings , and one night the only restaurant on site was closed for a private function.

Room Tip: Pay extra and get beachfront room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Blackwood, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Blue Bay beach is absolutely beautiful. The beach is well maintained and is full of shady and sunny spots which is great for everyone. The beach even when crowded still has room to roam. The beachside bar is perfect for a cocktail during the day and a romantic night for appetizers and beers. The staff at the bar are wonderful as are the staff in the lunch cart building. The main restaurant is good for dinner, however I will not eat at the breakfast buffet again. The buffet is anything but limited and over priced. The location of the reort is perfect. You are 15 minutes tops from airport and 5 minutes from the grocery store. WiFi is only available in the lobby which is some what of a pain. The villas are great for spacious guest areas and lovely views, however the maintaince areas do need to improve drastically. I will be back again as I did have more pros than cons and again it is breathtaking!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We stayed for 10 nights at blue bay resort. We initially booked a garden apartement. Upon arrival we learned that the distance to the beach was quite a walk from the apartment complex and the swimming pool was relatively small for the number of apartments in the complex. We requested an upgrade to an apartment closer to the beach. The upgrade was not cheap but worth. Good restaurant at the beach with nice staff. The reception staff was less friendly. The main reason that we chose this resort is to play golf at the 18 holes golf course. Nice and well maintained golf course with friendly staff. If you do not want to play in a hurry we recommend to start around 3.00 pm. Golf cart is obligatory and necessary in these kind of temperatures.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Bay Curacao? Share your experiences!