“Don't bother with the a la cartes” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Varadero Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Varadero Beach Resort
You added Memories Varadero Beach Resort to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Autopista Sur, km 18,5 Parque Natural | Punta Hicacos, Varadero 42200, Cuba   |
Ranked #18 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Ottawa
“Don't bother with the a la cartes”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

We vacationed here the week prior to Christmas 2013.

No real complaints about the food at the buffet, but the food & especially the service at the Mexican a la carte was truly horrible. The food at the Cuban was OK, and the service was good, but in hindsight, I am certain that we'd have been happier just sticking with the buffet.

My biggest complaint about the resort in general has to do with the paths. The use of the paths is apparently not really for people to walk on. If you don't move out of the way quickly enough you risk getting hit by the shuttles or worse - the utility carts. This resort seriously needs to rethink the use or design of these paths. Utility carts should be on 'back' roads around the perimeter of the resort.

Second biggest complaint about the resort is the condition of the pool decks. They are as slippery as ice. I attribute this primarily to poor cleaning/maintenance - there is a lot of mould.

No complaints about the accommodations. My expectations were already calibrated for Cuban standards having been on the island once before. Everything worked & the bed was comfortable. Maid service was more than acceptable.

The people are great!!

My biggest complain overall - which is not really directed at the resort - is towards the poor communication & coordination by the SunWing representatives at the resort and at the airport. The travel day returning home was a day from hell. I may boycott SunWing in the future - I haven't decided; perhaps this is just a problem with SunWing in Cuba.

Recommendation: Spend a day in Varadero. Grab the 'Hop & Go' bus (5 pesos all day) - spend some time on the beach there (nicer than the resort) & find a local restaurant for lunch or dinner.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,106)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I was at this resort November 2013 and this could have been an excellent vacation, but ended on a bad note. My suggestion is that you be very careful with what you leave in the room. Make sure all valuables are put in the safe (my bad). Our iphone and new camera (with all our vacation photos) were taken right off our dresser while we were at dinner. Staff enters your room during the evening hours to replace water and mini bar contents and these are the individuals who were taking our items by the very defined timelines we had when away from the room. Security there is a joke…they will tell you to wait a minute and that they would be right back and never return. This added more pain to the whole ordeal resulting in us wasting hours of our vacation. The resort reported back to me that these are reputable people and this could not happen, I guess our phone and camera grew legs and walked away.
I’m disappointed in knowing that this is Sunwing owned resort and one would think they would take more of concerned approach in regards to their customer’s safety and belongings. In the end, I received a “too bad so sad” email indicating there was nothing they could do. Now that is sad.

I would never discourage anyone from going to Cuba or this resort, I just want to make sure no one goes through this kind of experience.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The resort is ok for Cuba,would not make a four star in the rest of the world.
Set up for being family friendly,quiet pool full of kids.
The rooms are clean,toilets in the bathrooms work,but not great
We were put in block 37 initially but the toilet didn't work so the staff moved us to a really nice room in block 20 .This was away from the the noisy activity pool and the theatre area.The front staff were helpful.The ala carte restaurants are pretty bad with the exception of the French restaurant .Don't waste your time on the Mexican restaurant the food is pretty bad.
The buffet is your best bet,the staff try.
The best food is the bar-b-que on the beach,fried fish and really good suckling pig.
The drinks are nothing special,no fresh ingredient .The coffee bar is fantastic as are the staff

Room Tip: Low20s for best sleep
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Golden, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a resort for outdoorsy people its all very open there's always something going on I had a wonderful time best resort and experience I've ever been too I highly recommend it the staff are always very nice and happy the beach is well kept all the grounds and guests are well attended too. If you're travelling to Cuba this should be your destination
P.s the entertainment is outstanding (:

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

I recently spent a weeks vacation with one of my sons at the Memories Varadero. Excellent experience! The staff customer service was fantastic. Beach was beautiful. Rooms were comfortable. Food was excellent. Entertainment was top notch. Excursions were fun.

I purchased the Diamond Club option. Well worth it. Early check in; special room for eating at the buffet; special bar service on the beach; mini fridge always full. I can't say enough about the excellent service we received. All the staff including our concierge, servers, maids, bartenders were more than accommodating. Thank you!!! Well done Memories!

Because I was with my 16 year old son, we decided to do 2 tours. The catamaran and the jeep safari. Had a fantastic time at both. The snorkeling was a little disappointing on the catamaran trip but the we made up for it on the jeep safari tour. The catamaran trip took us to the dolphin compound in the ocean. We were able to get in the water and pet the dolphins. We stayed after and took a special ride on the dolphins. All you need is a decent tip! Go for it! We were taken to a beautiful beach where we snorkeled for some time and then had an excellent lobster lunch. The boat ride was tons of fun. Open bar and plenty of friendly tourists.

The jeep safari tour was the best. We toured through the wilderness to see some of the "real" Cuba. Quite an eye-opener. We went snorkeling. Beautiful coral and plenty of fish. Our guide in the water looked like Anderson Silva :) Drove to the caverns. The caverns were small but beautiful. We were able to swim and take some pictures and relax with a couple of beers. Onto the plantation where we toured through the capital of the province. We were able to taste some real bananas, honey, sugar cane, nuts, coconuts and more. We were then given a true Cuban lunch with some soup, veggies, fruit, rice and beans with a beverage. We took some time to take a quick ride on the horses and a paddleboat ride. Onto the river cruise. We decided to take advantage of the lobster dinner ($10 CUC). Well worth it. Back into the jeeps for a fun ride back.

The beach is absolutely beautiful. We walked up and down the beach and visited a few of the other resorts to take a look at what they had to offer. Excellent swimming. On windy days, there were a few kite surfers as well. I spoke to a couple of them and they told me that it is an excellent place to come to when the wind is up.

Memories always had lots of entertainment by the activity pool and the beach. The shows were fantastic. Talented Cuban performers! There is also a sports bar for anyone who would like to enjoy the latter part of the evenings. There is also a quiet pool if you aren't into the busy pool life.

Food was better than I expected. I have been to Cuba 6 times and I was very impressed. Loads of choice. Excellent quality whether you are a big meat eater or vegan. I must thank the chefs and servers. Always smiling. Always ready to give you what you want. I enjoyed the omelets the most. I'm sorry that I can't remember her name, but, she always remembered me and was always very friendly and courteous. The same goes for the servers in the diamond club room. Gracias amigas!!

Don't forget to show your appreciation with a few tips. It goes a long way.

We weren't able to take in some of the historical tours, but, a few of the other tourists highly recommended the trip to Havana and the overnight tour that included the falls. As well, some of the other tourists said that it was fun to take the double-decker bus and tour the town. Loads of shopping at the Plaza Americana. Lots of bars to frequent as well!

Memories has much to offer for any kind of vacationer. Family, young & older couples, young adults and friends. I would highly recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: There are two circles of rooms. The one closer to the beach focuses around the activity pool and ha...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed here from December 8 to 16, 2013.

Resort in General
The resort is large and beautiful, with two pools, tennis courts, a basketball court, large covered theatre, large reception/bar area, large buffet, several restaurants, sports bar/disco, great beach, 24 hour snack bars and more.

Room
Our room was basic, but clean. Our fantastic maid did a wonderful job and was a delightful person. The bathtub and shower are a little strange (elevated). You have to be careful getting in and out. The power in the room is 220, so you will need to bring a converter if you want to use 110 devices. There was a 110 plugin on the hairdryer unit that says “for shavers only.”

Restaurants and Food
The large Buffet was decent. We found some things that we liked and other things that looked good, but… well let’s just say… didn’t agree with our fussy taste. They do have stations where they will make you such things as omelets, stir fries and pasta. The pasta station seemed to be a hit with kids. There are lots of fish dishes. Occasionally you will find special items like deep fried calamari, which I love. We went Diamond Club and had a lobster dinner by the pool, which was really nice. We also really enjoyed the Japanese restaurant. Our other restaurant reservations were at the Italian and French restaurants. They were okay but nothing special.

Pools and Beach
Two nice big pools and a small kids pools. All were nice. One pool is like an activity pool with lots going on and the second pool is considered the quiet pool, but the pool bar at this pool can get quite lively and noisy once the alcohol gets flowing. The more drinks they pour, the louder it gets. The beach hut has burgers, hot dogs and a few other things. The barbequed burgers down by the beach are actually pretty good.

Entertainment
Pretty good shows at night. They have a fairly large theatre for the shows. Afterwards there was always more music and dancing. Particularly liked the Michael Jackson Show and the synchronized swimmers.

Summary
We really enjoyed our week at Memories. For the most part, we had great weather and a fun time. There are some minor irritants, but nothing too serious. We would like to return to this resort again, but not with Sunwing. We didn’t have a good experience with them on our return flight. They left the luggage of, I guessing 20 passengers, behind because the plane was apparently overweight. When we asked when we can expect to receive our luggage they responded that they didn’t know. It’s been over 2 days and still no word on our luggage. Unfortunately they have not returned our calls to enquire about our luggage. Frustrating.

Room Tip: Building 26 & 27 are in a good location. They are fairly central to the buffet, the "quiet...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Our 4th trip to Memories since it first opened in 2007, I travelled with 2 of my sons, and I have to say it was extremely disappointing. The food, which has never before been an issue was horrid. The only hot meal we did have was at the Japanese, the Italian was just sad. Not inedible but pretty darn close the warm buns was all that saved it. Cuban well the same thing. While they had a good selection for most meals everything was COLD. Even items put out fresh were cold. And given that the weather was cold, and rainy 6 out of 8 days it was horrid. The biggest disappointment I had, as well as many other return guests was with Sunwing itself. We had little or no reception greeting, no " bottle of rum", no offer of a cool refreshment, and when we got to our room we found only water in the fridge. The mattresses are so old and worn that you feel every spring cutting into you as you try to lay on it. The very next morning I asked for soda and beer for the fridge only to be told that Sunwing no longer provides these amenities unless you are "diamond club". After last years fiasco paying for the privilege of eating alone, and receiving nothing more than regular guests did as " diamond club" I was mad as hell, and told the customer service Mgr that this was unacceptable especially given that we all were returning guests. Even though he did his best to assist us and we ended up with the amenities I find it extremely bothersome that you have to ask for amenities that are a given in most every other resort in Cuba, including 3 star resorts. What makes this resort memorable are the resort staff themselves, and the other guests you meet during your vacation. It certainly is not Sunwing as they only want the money we spend and could care less if we enjoy ourselves or not

• Stayed November 2013

Been to Memories Varadero Beach Resort? Share your experiences!