“Great experience, Great Entertainment, Beautiful Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Varadero Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Varadero Beach Resort
You added Memories Varadero Beach Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Autopista Sur, km 18,5 Parque Natural | Punta Hicacos, Varadero 42200, Cuba   |
Ranked #17 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Newmarket, Canada
“Great experience, Great Entertainment, Beautiful Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

First vacation with my girlfriend. The resort was beautiful, service was great, and all the workers are very friendly and hard working. They always greet you with a warm smile. Entertainment was great. My girlfriend and I participated in a couple competitions and shows and had a great time. This resort is very children-oriented. We went at a very busy time right before school started. We didn't mind. Food was okay, nothing special. I got tired of it by the third day. The rooms were clean, the maids are very nice and work hard to keep guests satisfied. I recommend this resort to families and couples. We had a great time! Oh and also, the theme song will get stuck in your head...MMMMEEEMMMMORRIESSS

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Ok so I, along with my two other 22 year old girl friends, wanted a vacation before going back to school. We wanted to relax at the beach but also party hard at night, and this is what we got!

We flew with Sunwing on August 24 and came back on September 1st. The flight to go to Cuba was perfect. Quick, good service, food and champagne! However, on the way back the flight attendants were rude and the air conditioning was way too high which got me sick.

Pros:
- The beach. Beautiful, warm water, clean...
- The design of the resort. People whining about how huge this resort is...come on. You're on vacation, chill a bit. We didn't mind the walking at all. Especially with all the drinking and eating. From the beach to the buffet/lobby it is max 10-15 min.
- The staff. Maybe not everyone but close! Our maid was sweet, this one lady at the lobby was really nice and our favorites: Nadi from the lobby bar, Rene who works at the buffet and Joylan from the snackbar!
- Activities. At the activity pool or at the beach there's some workout and games.

Honestly I can't think of any cons. Yes, the food is not great but you will not starve. There is always something to eat. Just pick the right things. Anyway, you don't go to Cuba for the food.
For the a la carte, make sure you go to the Japanese!! That was delicious! Don't go to the French restaurant.

Also, there isn't much nightlife at the hotel. The disco closes at 1pm so you can go there and then get drunk the lobby bar which is open 24h. There's also clubs downtown Varadero but make sure you go to the right club. From what I remember: Wednesday= Havana Club, Thursday= Internacional, Friday=Casa de la musica, Sunday=Internacional, Monday = The Cave (la grueta). You can bargain a taxi for 15 pesos!

My friends and I all want to go back since we had an awesome time. We passed by the other 4*-5* hotels (Riu, Ocean, Iberostar etc.) and yes, they look beautiful and chic but they didn't seem to have this at home Cuban feeling.

Room Tip: You have 3 options. Close to the beach/activity pool, close to the lobby/buffet or in the middle. W...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Guelph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was apprehensive about going to this place, but glad that I did. I am originally from the Islands myself. I have traveled to many islands and I think it is about time for some truths to be said.

Cuban food: it is not the food that makes you sick it is the tourist that insist on using their fingers to pick up the food and not use the tongs, spoons etc. provided. I was appalled. That is how a lot of the food gets contaminated. We had a lot of French Canadians on this trip. I couldn't believe how ill mannered and demanding they were. The chef brought out a tray of bread and people started grabbing from the tray. They wouldn't give the poor fellow a chance to put the food on the table. What is it with North Americans when they see an 'all you can eat' buffet? why go so crazy?

Beaches: Stop littering the beaches people! this place has a beautiful beach, it was the tourist that kept littering it with their cups, plates, sunscreen etc. and putting out their cigarette butts in the sand. They were garbages all over. Some even took their drinks into the sea only to loose their cup (no surprise). You cannot behave in this manner in any Ontario beaches. You have the privilege of being able to drink on the beach at least clean up after yourself. Barbados has started charging tourist for littering the beaches, I highly recommend the Cuban government and all the other islands to start doing the same. Since Barbados has implemented this the tourists are more careful, hence, we have clean beaches again. We had our stuff on some beach chairs, went in the water, and came back only to find some people took our stuff and threw it all on another chair and took our chair. Not a reflection of the Cubans, a reflection of the poor manners from tourists.

Staff: staff at this hotel work very, very hard. They did a round the clock job of trying to keep things clean and everyone happy. It was disgusting to see them being tipped a canadian loonie and toonie. Don't you people know you can't change loonie and toonie's at the local banks. It is a useless currency. Coins are not legal tender. Says right on it. Some staff actually asked if we could change these coins for them. Also, there were people who never tipped! (hint to French Canadians). BTW: It is a joke on the island how poorly French Canadians behave and their lack of tipping. If you sincerely want to give a tip, give what a person can use. Loonie's and Toonie's are only of use in Canada. Take a stack of US dollar notes, but not Canadian coins. The staff also took verbal abuse from tourists. I for one don't feel someone should serve you hand and foot at any place. Especially for the price you are paying.

Drinking: clearly our drinking laws in North America do not work. The young people binged drank until they threw up. This was often by the activity pool. The pool has beautiful landscape in the center and the tourist would throw there plates and cups there. No care for anyone else or the people who had to clean it or the contamination of the pool water. They ate and drank in the pools spilling drinks etc.

Pool: the activity pool especially needs to be looked at. There is mold all over. The quiet pool same thing. It is clear these pools aren't being filtered properly. To have mold underwater for a pool means the chemicals or filter are completely not working up to standard.

Hotel: definitely needs more golf carts. Beautiful decor. I have to say it is the tourists that trash the furniture. Many had their feet on coffee tables and sat with their wet bath suits on upholstered chairs. Do you do this in Ontario?

Overall: this is a very nice hotel, the staff are friendly and helpful. Unfortunately it is going downhill. The tourist are primarily to blame. They trash the place, disrespect the staff, give minimal tips and completely disrespect the environment. Even though the hotel lobby had clear 'no smoking' signs, people were still smoking. The resort is big and the workers can only do so much when they have to tend to over 1000 babies at one shot. Consider: do you pee all over your toilet seat at home? and if you do, just clean it, instead of leaving it for the next person.

These things are not a reflection of the Cuban people. It is a reflection of how ill-mannered and disrespectful we have become to other countries that allow us to visit. It is predominately French Canadians and Russians that visit Cuba. Each person should carry themselves with a certain amount of dignity and self-respect. We can actually learn humbleness from the Cuban people and many others from other countries. Also for the love of god, stop complaining people. I can't tell you how much cry-a-baby complaints: Here is an example; my room is too cold, duh, turn down the AC or better yet turn it off and open the door. Beautiful breeze. They are ants and flies. Well didn't you know you were going to be in the tropics? I heard a lady yell at a waitress for not bringing her a spoon, incidentally they had a stack of clean spoons on the table beside her, just take one. Who yells for a spoon? this lady yelling at the waitress would probably get kicked out of a North American restaurant. She was very loud and obnoxious.

I give this hotel a 3.5 rating, because work needs to be definitely done on the pool area. The food was good, staff friendly, good value for your money. Hotel management need to get firm with tourists. Rules need to be in place. Deliberating littering any area should not be an option. It is like the staff is afraid of the tourists. They quickly apologize and try to make things right for things that are not their fault.

Tourists: don't go on vacation to the islands if you expect everything to be the same as in Canada or wherever you come from. In the tropics we have ants, bugs, mosquitoes etc. Our food is different and our beaches are beautiful. The islands have opened up to tourists for everyone to enjoy... so those of you who like to trash other places, complain, litter beaches, binge drink and destroy other people's property then 'STAY HOME'. Slavery in the islands are over. The people no longer have to wait on you hand and foot. What planet do you think you are on? teach your kids to pick up after themselves they are learning it from you. Mostly quit complaining, the world does not revolve around you. I agree the workers are responsible for their jobs, but the tourist go overboard.

This resort is getting a bad rap because of the caliber of the people that go here. Very unfair.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Kids!!!!!!!! Kids. Kids. Kids. Freerange kids. Shrieking kids. Kids butting in line. Kids inappropriately bothering the entertainers. Kids hogging the swim up bar seats. Kids splashing you.

Relatively kid free zone... the kid's end of the pool.

Best suited for families, and those who like other people's unsupervised kids. Nothing personal, just personal preference. Apply this observation as you see fit.

Other thoughts.

This is a huge resort. Pros... bigger means more options. Cons... bigger means more people. I was there off season, I probably could not handle peak season.

Beach... gritty sand, cloudy water. Nothing bad per say, but I prefer the sugary sand of the resorts closer to town.

Rooms. I was happy with my room. At first I was unhappy with my location in the ring of buildings close to the front of the resort instead of the ring of buildings close to the beach. I quickly determined I was happiest there. From my room to the beach was a 15 minute walk through crowds of people from cultures where "yielding some space to oncoming traffic" appears to be an unknown concept. Doing some reasoning, I quickly determined being close to the main buffet and quiet pool had more value and resulted in fewer trips than being close to the beach.

Food... what everyone else has already said. I'd love to see the logistical engine that manages this day in and day out in a country with the challenges of Cuba. You'll eat, and daydream about your favourite restaurants back home.

Service. The most professional welcome I have ever received at a hotel in Cuba. I was seated in the lobby, served a drink, checked in at my table rather than at the desk, and assigned a driver to deliver me and my luggage to the room. I arrived independent of any busload of arriving tourists, so I can't imagine this is done in those occasions. It was an unexpected treat.

All other service was variable. All room related services were efficient and friendly, bartenders and servers at the snack shacks were dependent on their mood, and most of the time the staff at the buffet were overwhelmed. You'd think in a country that pays service staff less than 10 bucks a month they could double their staff with no real impact on their bottom line, especially at these foreign currency engines of economy.

Best day... the helicopter excursion to Cayo Largo. In my budget, well worth the $230 per person. Bring bananas for the tame beggar iguanas on Iguana Island. Good fun. Talk with the tour rep in the lobby.

Will not be returning, but due to personal preference, not anything related to this facility.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
pbenitez, Guest Relations Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2013
Dear Client,
Receive our warmest regards from Memories Varadero! We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience and we assure you that it will be of great value to us, so that we may continue with our efforts to provide our guests with a comfortable, relaxed and happy vacation which is our number 1 priority.
We are sorry that your stay was not as pleasant as you expected. Our resort usually receives mostly families, but on some times of the year a few young people may also choose us for their vacation and we are happy to welcome everyone. Nevertheless, we do expect and encourage our guests to maintain proper and cordial relations, as we have such a large clientele.
Our fondest wish is that you will give us a new opportunity to satisfy you by visiting our resort once again and if you inform us of your next visit, we will devote every effort to make of it a wonderful vacation with lovely Memories!
Warm regards from Varadero!
Maple, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I don't know what the other resorts are like but now that I experienced Memories I will never go back to Cuba. I know you don't go to Cuba for the food but this food was disgusting, not cooked well at all. All I ate was pasta and bread and butter, I did not touch the meat or anything else because I was afraid of getting sick and I still got sick by the third day and lasted for two full days. The beds are horrible, hard as a rock. Room service was ok but they didn't sweep the floor at all. There were ants in the room. The so called comforter was more like a tablecloth, very uncomfortable. The only way you get half decent service for anything is if you constantly tip them. We were suppose to have a king bed and ended up with three small beds, my night light did not work nor the converter. The pools were nice, the water could have been cleaner, the entertainment at the pool and night were good. I did not find Cubans to be as nice as I was told or read, they were not all that friendly, especially considering we are there bread and butter. The resort left me with a bad impression of Cuba, would never go back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
pbenitez, Guest Relations Manager at Memories Varadero Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Client,
We would like to express our sincere appreciation for having taken the time to post your comments about your recent stay in Memories Varadero. Our guests´ satisfaction is the main incentive for our daily work and all our staff makes great efforts to see guests happy. It is truly sad to know that we failed to satisfy you and could not be up to your expectations; we assure you that we will take your comments as the foundation for greater future efforts.
We sincerely hope that you will give us a new opportunity to fulfill your dreams of the perfect vacation and if you inform us in advance of your arrival, we will do everything in our power to help you have a wonderful stay in our resort!
Thank you again for your time and comments.
With our kindest regards,
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Overall
Some things to consider when booking a vacation at Memories Varadero; it is a 3.5 star resort which is located in Cuba. Your standards should be very low when going to this resort. Memories has bad service, bad food (but so does the rest of Cuba), and is not very clean. IF those things don’t matter to you then I would go ahead and book your trip with Memories. But if I had to go to Varadero again, I would NOT go to Memories. Pay the extra money for a 4.5 star resort and live in peace during your vacation!

The service was really bad. They messed up our rooms the first night that we reached the resort and they did not even seem like they wanted to help fix their mistake. On our last day of the trip we asked a bell boy to come up to our room to take our luggage to the lobby. We called the front desk FIVE times and waited for 45 minutes and no one showed up! Other than that, our maid was very nice. The bartenders and a la carte servers were nice as well.

Food/Drink (Note that I don’t eat beef, chicken or pork and I don’t drink)
If you are going to Cuba to fill up on delicious food and fresh fruit then you are making the wrong decision! The resort’s food was pretty terrible. The buffet food had a big selection but it was not delicious by any means! If the buffets were closed, then you were pretty much out of luck! All you have to eat are fries if the buffet is closed. The a la carte dinners were good. We really enjoyed the Italian one. But make sure to book well in advance. To put things into perspective, we met a few people from our excursions that were staying at different resorts and they ALL said that the food sucked. So the food isn’t just bad at Memories. It is bad EVERYWHERE in Cuba.

Cleanliness
The maid that was responsible for our room was very nice, although, we did have to tell her to change our towels a few times. Oh! Speaking of towels, make sure to replace your towels earlier on in the day because the run out of clean towels by noon! The buffet area was clean. But the washrooms in the lobby were EXTEREMLY dirty. I saw a cockroach. I don’t think that the lack of cleanliness is the fault of the cleaners as much as it is the fault of the people staying at the resort. People need to learn how to clean up after themselves. Something as simple as a flush would’ve made a huge difference!

Excursions
The excursions were the only good part about my trip. The tour guides really went out of their way to make sure we were satisfied with the excursion. But then again you can get the same excursions from any other resort. I did three excursions: Catamaran Cruise, Jeep Safari and Havana Tour. If you are into the history of Havana, I would skip the Havana tour. The Catamaran Cruise and Jeep Safari tours were a lot of fun! Sunwing has days where they offer special pricing – you will learn about the days and prices in your orientation meeting with the Sunwing representative.

Beach and Pool
The beach was gorgeous and the water was amazing. We watched the sunrise one morning which was just absolutely magical! The food at the beach is very limited. They have burgers and hot dogs and a man who makes jambalaya which was actually tasty. Make sure to get in line for the Jambalaya early because it goes fast! They have a bar at the beach and also free coconut drinks.
The pool was fun! They have two pools – an activity pool and a quiet pool. The activity pool always has something going on (as does a certain section of the beach).

Timing
Be careful of the flight you book! We booked a flight that landed into Varadero at almost 11:00 pm. We got to the resort around midnight. The problem with this is that all the rooms are booked (or so the front desk people claim!) and you don’t get first choice as to which building you can stay in.
Also, our flight back to Toronto left at 11:00 pm. Meaning, that we had to leave the resort at 7:00 pm to be at the airport at a reasonable time. The problem with this flight time is that check out is at 12:00 pm. So from 12:00 pm to 7:00 pm we had to waste our time by sitting in the lobby or sitting by the pool. We couldn’t really go to the beach or into the pool because we would get dirty and we didn’t have a washroom to take a shower in (and I did not want to smell like chlorine all the way home!). They do offer to keep your luggage in a locked room and tell you that you can shower in the gym. But then again, the gym was VERY dirty. I would not want to shower there. You can do a late checkout but a late checkout will cost you 10 pesos an hour!

Room Tip: The resort it HUGE! Make sure to get a room near the lobby so that your walk to the buffet is short...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Client,
First of all, our sincere thanks for taking the time to post your comments. Our staff and management team work hard every day to achieve our guests´ complete satisfaction. To guarantee that you have a relaxing and enjoyable vacation is our reason of being, that is why it saddens us profoundly to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We assure you that we maintain permanent supervision and attention to any request from guests so that they are satisfied. Nevertheless, we will reinforce our measures and keep an even closer follow-up.
Thank you again for giving us your comments; they are very valuable for us to continue improving our services and making sure that our guests are satisfied.
With the kindest regards from Varadero, Cuba!
exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Been twice to cuba amazing people amazing country service is great and its not expensive. A must for all beach lovers. The cocktails are fantastic the music is great and theyre dancing is amazing. Go before the yanks get in and spoil it.

• Stayed September 2012

Been to Memories Varadero Beach Resort? Share your experiences!