“Great vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Memories Varadero Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Memories Varadero Beach Resort
You added Memories Varadero Beach Resort to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Autopista Sur, km 18,5 Parque Natural | Punta Hicacos, Varadero 42200, Cuba   |
Ranked #19 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Kingston, Canada
“Great vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our group stayed from Feb 23-Mar 2 and we all had a great time at this resort.
When we first booked into our rooms, one room was fine, the other had a horrible mold smell (not just musty....terrible mold), however, we simply waited until the front desk wasn't busy to explain and they very quickly assigned us to a lovely room just a couple of doors down. Two concierge gentlemen helped us move all of our belongings and brought in a cot as well. We had absolutely no other issues during our stay.

The grounds are quite nice and they are working constantly to update and make improvements. There are a variety of activities to entertain everyone. Being to Cuba twice before, we had prepared everyone for the food. To our delighted surprise, the food was great. There was a lot of variety and all tasted good. We ate at the Mediterranean (very good), Italian (average) and the Japanese ala carte which was terrific! I was worried about there only being one main buffet open for dinners with such a large amount of people, but we never waited for a table once.

Tips:
- If you have an early morning excursion or flight...the buffets do not open until 8am. However, the 24 hour snack bar has a small selection of items you can grab (boiled eggs, fruit etc.). The 24 hr snack bar is at the quiet pool.
- Toilet flushing ability is not what we're used to. Save some aggravation by putting paper in the basket provided.
- The bank down by the tennis court is usually less busy.
- Stay to the sides of the walkways to allow the carts room to pass.

This is a large resort with a large amount of people, so there are bound to be a variety of experiences. My advice is to simply read some reviews to get some tips so you sort of know what to expect going in, and then make the most of your vacation. Don't get too fussed if things aren't "perfect"...you're not going to get perfect at any all inclusive.

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,103)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

It was my first time staying at this resort and I will definitely be coming back soon. The people were great; very polite, and very nice. I made some good friends here that I am still keeping in touch with today. The beach is beautiful and there were a lot of different activities to do during the day. My ultimate favourite was the music entertainment. I am in love with Cuban music and its culture, so I really enjoyed the dancing and parties. Overall, an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed February 2013
Saint Thomas, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

This was a beautiful resort with plenty to do. It was well organized, the service was nice, and our rooms were always spotless. The only trouble I had was that there were many times when they would run out of ice or certain foods and nearly all of the male staff (including security) would hit on myself and my friends. Besides those two points though this was a great stay and I miss it already. For those planning on going, make sure to tip well, you will receive better service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Although I've traveled extensively this was my first time in Cuba and my first all inclusive, so didn't really have a frame of reference for my experience. That being said, I had a nice time in a decent, clean resort. There was a mix up with our rooms (given a terrace when we paid extra for a balcony) but this was rectified without trouble. The resort is massive but well maintained and pleasant to walk around. It could have been better lit at night but we (two women) always felt safe walking around. The money exchange kept going down so at times we were stuck without money but fortunately you only need tipping money so it wasn't a problem. It is a very family friendly resort though so if you're looking for some "nightlife" then this is not the place for you. The "disco" was quite sad really. The shows were ok (except Michael Jackson which was quite good) and gave us something to do in the evenings. During the day the pools were really nice, both had bars and lots of lounge chairs. The pool with the slide "aka the non-quiet" pool was really noisy and full of kids. We were steps from the beach and, although crowded, it was gorgeous. The food was so-so (I hear this is normal for Cuba) and lacking in fresh fruit. I got the dodgy belly once and my friend twice. Once we got used to the selection we were fine with mostly chicken, bread, fish, and rice. (recommend the buffet by the beach and the main buffet but stay away from the 24 hr snack bar by the pool). Our two "restaurant" meals (Mexican and Italian, which we waited in line for over an hour to book) were just "ok" and not really any better than the buffet. The beverages were plentiful but some bars tasted like the drinks were watered down (recommend the lobby bar for a real drink and avoid the "disco" bar). The best time we had was actually off the resort - highly recommend the catamaran trip we booked through the sunwing reps. January is not the best time to hit Cuba - wait until it's warmer to take advantage of the pool and beach, as there isn't much to do otherwise at this resort.

Room Tip: Recommend the buffet by the beach and the main buffet but stay away from the 24 hr snack bar by the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just returned from a one-week solo stay at this resort in Varadero. Here are my impressions. I'll start with the positive points, because I like to keep an open mind when in Cuba. This was my third trip, and my last.
On the positive side:
-The beach, the beach, the beach! It's the reason I went for a quick rest and good swimming in the warm, turquoise water. Get to the beach BEFORE 8 a.m. to reserve a chair under a straw umbrella. Otherwise, your chair will be directly in the sun, with no shade at all.
-The made-to-order omelets in the morning. But you might have to wait in line for it.
-The warmth of the Cuban people
On the negative side:
-It's a three star, so expect bland food, watered down drinks, constant problems with toilets not flushing properly and frequent shortages - no ice at the bars, room towels not available, no toilet paper in public toilets at end of day etc.
Here's how to make your stay more enjoyable:
-Bring a thermos cup for the beach. The bar staff will gladly fill it for you with water or juice in the morning. I bought mine at Canadian Tire.
-Tip your room maid at the start of your stay. (10 pesos is fair). She'll tell you there is a shortage of room towels, but after tipping, the towels will magically appear in your bathroom and your fridge will be stocked with water, beer and soft drinks.
-Bring protein bars or other snacks/gum/candy for you and your children for in between meals. The hotel store offers only tasteless cookies and chips.
-Bring a box of tissues for your room, and/or small packets for your bag (handy when there's no t-paper left in the public washrooms)
-If you're a senior with mobility problems, at check-in, ask for a room near the main dining room and reception. That's near the quiet pool.
-Likewise, if you want a room in the quieter area of the resort, ask for a room far from the theater and activities pool. If noise doesn't bother you in the late evening, then it doesn't matter.
-Be prepared for a 10-minute walk to the beach. But you're on vacation and walking is healthy!
-Make your reservations at the different restos on site, asap. The French was not too bad - but they didn't have coffee or tea with dessert. Cuban was good. I heard the Mediterranean was mediocre, so I didn't bother. I didn't go to the Japanese. Having traveled in Japan, this would have only been a disappointment for me. Try it anyway.
-The only down side on the beach is that they now allow wandering vendors to sell cover-ups and hats. (shades of Mexico!). The hat salesman was a pain as he was loud and just wouldn't stop at times. The women with the cover-ups are not as loud - and they have a nice selection/good quality. I actually bought one, washed it when I came home and it didn't fall apart.
-Tipping: the Cubans have become obsessed with tipping. They've come to expect it at every occasion - on airport buses,at meals, in the washrooms. Convertible pesos allow them to purchase the little extras their regular currency won't. You don't have to tip at every meal or each time you order a drink at the bar. I left a tip at my lunch and evening meals, and when I ordered a drink at the bar. Even a one peso tip is appreciated.
So go with an open mind, and enjoy that amazing beach!

Room Tip: If you want to be far from noise, ask for a room near the main dining room and "quiet" poo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Moncton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a 24 hour delay. After staying at Riu for a week I wanted to compare a few things.
The staff for this one day were so awesome. Always providing great service with a smile. The resort itself looked really nice....did not make it to beach. The room was clean and ok. The bathroom was a bit dated.
Food at buffet was great with a huge selection. I was surprised after staying at a 5 star and this being a 4. Food was better here for that day anyway!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Please do not listen to the bad reviews , I do not have one bad thing to say about this resort . Rooms were fine not high class as people seem to be expecting but very roomy , comfortable and spotless. The showers were always hot and lots of pressure. Stayed fron Feb 20 -27th . Food was quite good as well . You have to be some one who has a silver spoon in ther mouth to not find something to eat . Lots of variety and always hot .( get ther at a decent time for the variety not 30 min before closing )The beach was georgous ,had no problems getting a palapa except for 1 day and that was because we were late going ....
the Cuban people are very respectable ,not that I can say that much about a few of the guests there,it is them who throw garbage around and put butts out everywhere not the Cubans.The air conditioner in our room was the best , quiet and working well.By the way we "always" had TP in the bathroom ....The entertainment was very good ,even enjoyed the children doing their entertainment ...no complaints about anything.

Room Tip: we were in block 21 ,across from the quiet pool , close too main lobby and buffet . 10 min wal or 5...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Memories Varadero Beach Resort? Share your experiences!