“great holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba

We can't find prices for this hotel
Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba
You added Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera de Las Morlas | KM 15, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #5 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
London, England, United Kingdom
“great holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

we went to the blau varadero in january 2013 with the THE HOLIDAY PLACE and i would highly recommend the resort and hotel but also the tour company we couldnt of had a better experience the food was great the hotel exceptional and the location was fantastic

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (898)
  • Polish first
Windsor, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We visited the Blau Jan. 31- Feb. 07 2013.
It is a more laid back resort. Not big on the night life. If you want to party into the wee hours you can do so down at the beach bar. It's open 24 hours.
We are early to rise early to bed people so it was perfect for us.
SERVICE. Very good. No complaints. As a matter of fact we had a "noisy neighbor" issue and it was settled immediately by staff.
HOTEL:Beautiful, well maintained. Short distance to beach and ala carte restaurants. Clean and no bugs. Very tranquil. Lounge chairs are PLENTIFUL, from grounds to pool to beach. There are even a few hammocks placed throughout the property.
FOOD: Fine. Trust me when I say there IS something for everyone. There is no reason to walk away unsatisfied or hungry. We ate at every venue on the resort except the beach snack bar The buffets are plentiful, the ala carte restaurants were delicious. Especially the PALM REAL.
Try the chicken dish at both of the restaurants. YUM! Make your reservations as soon as possible.NO need to bring S&P, ketchup or peanut butter. They have it. May not be the brand you are used to, but it's there. Oh and the hotdogs, burgers, fries and nachos by the pool also tasty. So keep in mind that you are in Cuba. This hotel makes good of what is available to them and in our opinion, they do it well.
ROOM: NO COFFEE MAKERS! AHHHH! We love to wake up early enjoy a cup of coffee on the balcony and watch the sunrise. Sure you could get dressed and go to the continental breakfast and bring the coffee back up to your room. But it's not the same. You're down for breakfast you might as well stay there. This is one of 2 issues that could deter us from returning.
BEDS...yes this is the second issue. Hard as a rock, very low to the floor and the roughest sheets ever! Did not sleep well.
In general, room is clean. No drawers for your clothes. Must use shelves in closet or live out of your suit case. Towels but no facecloths. Mini bar...stocked daily, minimally.
BEACH: :) 5 stars!!!! Due to severe winds from a cold front moving through, the beach was red flagged for the first few days we were there. But the last 2 days spent on the beach...UNFORGETTABLE!!!
TOURS: We took the Havana day (colonial) tour and the catamaran day cruise. Both wonderful and worth the $. However, during the Havana tour, it would have been nice to divide the 50 minutes of "exploring" time in 1 or2 of the museums or Earnest Hemingway's residence, instead of that mundane market place.
POOL: Great!!!! Large and clean. They do ask in the room manual that you refrain from using floaty beds in the pool in consideration of others. ???? Ridiculous I think. The pool is plenty big enough. Minor issue. Ours stayed in our suitcase.
BARS: Good service. We found the most consistent measures were executed at the large bar of the main lobby. If you want strong drinks, see the guys at the beach bar. Bring your own drink container. A good large insulated one is perfect as while you are on the beach, you still have ice after your drink is gone. They have no problem anywhere on the resort with filling it.
Would we return you ask?
YES....BUT...only if we brought a plush mattress topper, like the memory foam type, our own bed sheet, a coffee maker with supplies or even a mini kettle with instant coffee, hair conditioner, and SOFT toilet tissue. I feel for anyone who gets any "traveler's" issues while in Cuba. The tp is very institutional to say the least.
One last note, if you leave the resort, via tour etc. bring tissues or tp with you. Many of the wash rooms have no tp in them, but a senorita on the outside with tp in exchange for a tip.
If you happen to have a peso, you are in luck. If you left your bag with your hubby...... uh oh!

Room Tip: The higher you go the better the view. 8th floor or more. In the event the lifts are running slow (r...
Beaverton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

my Husband and I stayed hear in February 2008 for our honeymoon and we had an amazing time!! The food for Cuban standards was good, the hotel and rooms are well maintained and very clean. The staff was very friendly and tipping is not expected , you will get the same great service whether you tip or not, but tipping for good service is a nice thing to do as Cubans make very little! The beach is one of the nicest beaches I have ever seen, white sand as far as the eye can see and beautiful crystal blue water, no rocks and no weeds and a beautiful sandy bottom. We took a day trip and toured Havana and the cigar factory if you are planning to buy cigars they will take you to a very nice cigar shop on this tour and they are half the price of the resort shop. the trip was amazing and educational Cuba has such a rich history and the old Spanish influence is beautiful!! a trip worth taking! the ride to and from the airport was very short about 15-20 min. our room was on the 7th at the front of the hotel and we had a good view of the bay on the far side. Most people want to be at the back of the resort over looking the pool and the ocean, but we really liked the peace and quite of the front of the hotel as some of the evening entertainment can be loud. This is generally a quiet resort with no Disco or club so if partying is what you are looking for this place is not for you. However if you are looking for a nice relaxing trip with minimal noise and hassle this is paradise! The beach is private and is guarded and you will find no pushy local venders waiting at the beach, which was nice as we just wanted to relax and not be bothered.
We would go back in heart beat!!!
Wonderful resort and should be rated a 5 star not a 4!!

Room Tip: the 7th floor at the front of the hotel offers good views and keeps the noise to a minimal.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

A well managed hotel with the best hard working,caring staff I have ever come across including reception staff.
Good live entertainment. The Circus, we thought we would we would just stay a few minutes but enjoyed all the show.
Always good food available but soup and some rice dishes could be hotter, perhaps someone should check with a temperature probe. A la carte was exellent.
Only one computor works,one doesn't have @ symbol working.
Havana Airport staff need re-training, we are tourists and not out to damage country,the doors at passport lock and unlock as you go through.Its a communist country and an experience to tell.

Room Tip: We stayed in 622 and could walk up and down when lifts were busy,lovely sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Three years ago when staying a nearby hotel my wife and me walked by the Blau Varedero and said to each other next time in Varedero we have to stay here. We returned to Varedero this year and stayed at the Blau from January 26 to February 4. We had a wonderful time and the hotel met or exceeded all of our expectations. Even though the weather could of cooperated a bit more we enjoyed our stay. Was great to run into Jose (the hotel manager) who we met when we stayed at the Blau in Holguin two years ago who is the manager of the property in Varedero now. Great to see he has brought the same devotion and passion to his new assignment. Always so willing to help make things right and ask how you are doing, thank you Jose. We went for a walk and visited the first place we stayed our first trip to Varedero and couldn't believe the difference in accomadations. So very glad we choose to stay at the Blau Varedero this time. Food was fine, once you figure out your preferences at the buffet. Resteraunts were also fine, no complaints. If I had to say any negative things it would have to be people taking their children to the Lobby bar and let them run around screaming while they just stood there and drank. I know its your vacation but its my vacation too. I suppose the cloudy weather may of contributed to having th children run around and scream inside the lobby where the sound echos, but really they could tone it down a bit. Also the pool was a little too cool, wouldn't take too much to maintain to an enjoyable temperature. Thanks Jose, hope to be back soon.

Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Let me start by saying I love Varadero - I've been the guy who has praised it when people say "but I've heard the food isn't very good". This was our 5th stay in Varadero in the past 5 years (Resort name with Tripadvisor rating : Laguna Azul #10, Melia Las Americas #6, Paradisus Princesa del Mar #5 and Breezes Jibicoa (just outside of Varadero)) Laguna Azul was the best of the bunch based on my experiences.

We travelled with our two childen (aged 4 and 6), my parents and my wifes parents.

The good :

The beach as usual was amazing - powdery sand, plenty of lawn beds, beach volleyball, water activities, clear water with an amazing view. The first 4 days the skies were clear and we were green flagged. The last 3 days were overcast and the beach was red flagged I believe due to jelly fish - quite a few washed on shore, but not too bad. It's due to the weather and outside of our control. The bar for the beach was a 30 second walk up a path way under a little cabana .... it was also the 24hr food service and they served burgers etc at lunch. The pool and pool area was clean, water was quite cold (not heated) - lots of lawn beds and cushions were provided if requested. There was little drink service around the pool (not a big issue) - no swim up bar, but a fair sized bar with 3 bartenders just to the side of the bar. Lots of variation for drinks. The plastic cups are very small - I would recommend bringing your own insulated cup.

The bad or badish :

The food simply wasn't very good. The staples that usually can't go won't weren't very good (pasta, omlettes, pizza etc) Omlettes were created from a big jug of egg on an iron skittlet and not flipped, but turned in - which could lead to undercooked eggs if you didn't ask for it to be well done. Bacon was cooked in a huge 10 pound block and flipped around the grill - typically 90% was fat. There is one buffet for breakfast within the main building - for lunch the buffet is beside the pool and at dinner the buffet is back to the main building. The only other option for lunch is down near the ocean which is burger / salad / fries. For dinner beyond the buffet there are 2 a la carte restaurants - the one is the pool side buffet converted for dinner (can go twice in a week), and the other is a chalet type interior (very nice ambience) however you can only to to that restaurant once in the week - the Chicken "Gordon" Blue (that's the spelling they have :) was very very good. That and the turkey dinner at the buffet the one evening were the two best meals of the week. The rest was questionable at best. At the pool side a la carte I had the steak both times....I was back to the room within an hour afterwards (I'll leave it at that). Of our party of 8, everyone was sick at least once - we have all of our shots etc and travel often this was the first time that we were hit so badly.

The rooms were ok, a bit dated, nice clean washrooms. Outdated bedding that didn't look very appealing to sleep on. Nice big patios with patio chairs and a table - a beer fridge stocked with a 1.5 litre water, 2 beers and 2 cans of pop. The room could have used a coat of paint - lots of scratches and dents in the wall. The room has a large safe that is activated by a code of your choice. There is a hair dryer in the room and outlets for both 110 and 220v - we did bring our adapter though. The bed and pillows were ok - I wouldn't call them comfortable, but I was able to sleep alright.

The questionable : With the open concept lobby and all rooms doors facing out towards the lobby (piano bar / main bar / shows etc) the noise does not subside until approx. 11:30pm to midnight. Not much of an issue for the kids who were run ragged in the pool and with activities, but if you have trouble sleeping be sure to pack industrial ear plugs.....it will sound like there is a party in your room until that time. One day the man working around the pool brought out a pressure washer and proceded to clean the pool for about two hours during peak time.....the pressure washer was loud - just kind of bizarre. You get a card for your towels - you change in the card for your towels at the towel cabana - if you lose your towel (or it gets stolen), you have to pay $15 for another card. It seems people come in for the day and steal towels on a regular basis - we had one stolen. Not fun....they told us we needed to treat the towel like your purse or wallet - seriously? The pool side entertainment didn't really come alive until 3:30 everyday which I found odd as most people would shut it down around 5 / 5:30 when the sun was heading down. Some games to win bottles of rum etc on a daily basis.

The rest : the lobby bar is very nice - the lobby is very nice - the elevators (4) are quite slow - 14 floors total....the higher the floor the better view you get, but the slower it is to get anywhere - stairs worked well for us being on the 6th floor and the buffet / reception is on the 3rd floor. There is a hair stylist - my daughter had braids put in for a reasonable price. The gym was ok - a fair amount of equipment, some of which was in ok shape, some didn't look safe. There are nice tennis courts, basketball, soccer etc. My mother forgot a presciption - they filled it within 20 minutes for $6 pecos - that was quite incredible! There is a paid internet facility - no WIFI.

I think that's about it.....to sum it up, the rating is more around a 2.5 based mostly on the food, and the fact that Blau simply wasn't as nice / good as the other resorts we have stayed at in recent years even though it's rated higher on TripAdvisor. So do take all ratings with a grain of salt, and the actual Star ratings do mean something. This might be #4 because it's often a bit cheaper to stay here then the other resorts, but you do get what you pay for.

If you have any questions I'd be happy to assist - we stayed mid january 2013

Room Tip: If you plan on heading to bed prior to midnight be sure to pack some earplugs.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was my second trip to Cuba, the first was in 2008, and I stayed a different resort and noticed this one while sailing out on a catamaran and said to myself "I have to come back and stay there". I went during reading week (February 2012) this time around and saw quite a few students travelling to Varadero and had a friend who was staying at another resort (and didn't have a very good time).
This resort far exceeded my expectations. The first time around I wasn't crazy about the food, travelling with my mom at that time we were able to get by going into to town for snacks, this time I travelled with my boyfriend who is a gym rat and needs his food (he said the gym suited his needs perfectly). The food was incredible! I know a number of people have said to not travel to Cuba because you will return home starving, well they just haven't done their research. This resort offers a great selection for their buffet, and lunch buffet. They had fresh stations every day and a great selection of bread (it really is incredible, carb loading vacation). They had a fresh station outside the lunch buffet as well and he served amazing food as well.
They had home-made and bottled hot sauce so for people (like myself) who enjoy spicy food aren't left without. The a la carte restaurant was also amazing.
There's only two sets of elevators, but it's not that hard to go up and down the stairs, they aren't very slow (and we were on the top floor). I'm wary of elevators as it is so I was fine with taking the stairs at times.
The bars do get busy at night, they house the flight crews for airline layovers.

Go here for your first trip to make you fall in love with Cuba and the food or go here on a return trip to change your mind if you had a bad experience previously, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: If you really want an ocean view room but don't like the difference in price don't worry, it...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

José M P, General Manager at Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear kittkat988,
In the name of all the members of our staff and the Blau family I would like to thank you for your warm review. Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with other clients.
Thank you for praising our food. We are happy to hear you enjoyed our variety of food.

Having met your expectations it’s a great pleasure for us.
Hope to see you soon.
Kind regards.

Been to Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba? Share your experiences!