“Watch the water!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba

We can't find prices for this hotel
Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carretera de Las Morlas | KM 15, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #4 of 58 hotels in Varadero
“Watch the water!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Overall a good choice. My boyfriend and I travelling in September and I would recommend this time if year and the hotel.

Overall hotel feeling - the draping ivory reminds me of a 60s James Bond style movie- bit erm unique! It's not the most attractive building from the outside but the height of it means you do get great views. The lifts are slow, small and there aren't enough of them but there is no need to be in a hurry so it didn't bother us. The drinks are great and the waiters were very friendly and attentive. My main concern was that there was no bottled water - now I haven't been on an all inclusive before but all the drinks were mixed with water slush puppy or ice, and this did not agree with me which made my stay less enjoyable!

Room - clean spacious and air conditioned with a good view of sea and pool. Noticed that in the mornings there would be a fowl smell in the hotel like there was a drainage problem but would go by lunch time! We did go in rainy season and it would often rain at night which may have been why.

Pool - great

Day time entertainment - felt a little hi-di-hi but i recommend you embrace it its very amusing and there is lots of rum to win! We won 3 bottles! Yes it's an all inclusive but they make great presents to bring home!
Evening entertainment - family orientated and generally good.

There is also a spa and hairdressers both good.

Beach - honestly think the Blau has got the best spot on the beach really nice and the free water sports was fun.

Food - buffet restaurant was good with variety and themes most nights - Chinese being the best theme. The salad wasn't great but I think that's Cuba in general as they don't seem to be big of salad or veg. The 2 "special" evening restaurants were really nice although one didn't stock the wine they were advertising which was irritating after our 3rd attempt at ordering a red wine and the red wine came out freezing cold. But def recommend the steak!!

Overall a nice hotel with everything you need with friendly and attentive staff. Honestly, I would not go back though, as if I was looking for an all inclusive again I would insist on bottled water and ice as although I don't think it effects everyone, being ill did rather ruin my holiday!!

Room Tip: Level 6 - good views of sea and pool but if the lifts break its only 3 flight to the restaurant!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Yuni_Romero, General Manager at Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Mjn104,
Thank you very much for choosing Blau Varadero to spend your holidays in Cuba.
We are glad to hear that you liked our drinks and thank you for the good comments about our staff.
We are sorry to hear about the wine incident.
With respect to the water, we supply bottle water in the rooms daily. we also use bottle water in the bars.
Best Regards

3,763 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Polish first
hull
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Going through Customs at the Airport was very swift, airport transfer was about 30 mins.
On arrival at the Blau, check in took as long as the transfer only two staff on to check in 30 people. first encounter on the lifts, Small and very Hot 2 people 2 siutcases = FULL and other guests still tried to get in, these lifts are not meant for the size of this Hotel i avoided them throughout the Hol.
Rooms very Basic and Clean, very little storage, the cleanliness of the room for the duration and the maid was Very good.
The pool area is one of the best ive seen and Spotless, very large swimming pools and lots of sun beds but these do get taken very quickly, from the pool to the beach is a couple of mins away, walking through the well kept Gardens where they hold the Daily Weddings.
entrance to the beach is very loud, mainly where all the activites are going on, go either left or right towards the end of the umbrella's and its nice and peacefull, beach vendors are fine they dont hassle you, once you have said No they leave you alone, overall the beach and sea was excellent loved it.
Breakfast Buffet was very good. everything there, but the same everyday through out the duration.
Main Pool Buffet for Lunch (Palma Real) was Just Manic what ever the time you chose to eat, people pushing in (think only the British and Canadian's actually queued up) this area is very hot, think they only have two fans in this Vast area very poor, NO cold air circulation in the 37" Mid day heat.
Entertainment during the course of the Day was Very Very POOR, being on many Hols prior, where entertainment staff are full of them selfs and you can Here them from miles away, not here. not once did i see an organised game of water Football or water Vollyball or anything ????, or any entertainer SHOUTING VolleyBall going around the pool, like they DO ?, the only thing i did see was they put coloured labels around the Pool area and if you Easily found one then they called you up to do a sexy Dance and Hey Presto you won a Bottle of Spirit, (this was over within ten Minutes) that was about the highlight of the entertainment team during the day. i could go on about the nonexistent of the entertainment team but i i don t want to slate them, the management need to to look at them very closely to help them put a positive entertainment programme together for customers who have come away to be entertaint to a good standard
Main buffet for Dinner was very good, the vast amount of food choice is Very Good . the lots of different meats in lovely sauces was just excellent, everything that went with it was exceptional, even food that you wouldn't expect like Sprouts green beans ect, and i have got to say that the staff at main meals are so committed to Guests, so hard working always smiling, ahead of there game these deserve Tipping.
The main Lobby Bar area, Excellent to meet new poeple, bar staff very freindly (if you tip them) cocktails and beer plentiiful, not good for none smokers in certain area's, but it is split in half so they do cater for the non smokers, lots of nationalities, Russians and Canadians mainly, Spanish and Latin Americans,
Evening entertainment. No Comment, but most said it was Tolerable.
Went to both A la carte Restaurants and they was both spot on, the Beef in both Restuarants was superb,
All in all for the first week i thoroughly enjoyed this Holiday
Second week week was a bit different, i came down with food poisoning which took out the equation for the last 5 days of my Holiday, was this down to the Hotel i don't Know?, as i did have a day trip to Havana on our 5th day and the the food at the resaurant was not Good to say the least, but there was a lot of poeple with stomach upsets and the Doctor was a constant Visitor to the Hotel,
its Your choice wether you visit this this hotel? i still have mixed feelings, the choice is YOURS.

Room Tip: the rooms facing the main road and not the Pool area are more Private and quieter.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Cuba was an amazing experience the people were so friendly and the suites fantastic we seen so many amazing animals tree frogs owls sand crabs also snorkelling is worth a go but i must say I did hear the theme tune to jaws ok a little para and I had nothing to worry about. Food standard not great lived off cigars and cubalibras

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was stunning!!! the beach was a postcard image and was lovely to feel the hot fine sand between your toes then to bathe in the lush clear sea!pelicans on the beach. The food was ok could have been much better!! Plenty of upset stomach amongst the guests myself and 14 yr olds on included!! That said the staff,hotel entertainment and scenery more than made up for it. I would definitely recommend doing the 1day boat trip to the island...all I can say is WOW!!! What a day il never forget it was one of the high lights of the holiday.it takes an hour or so to get to the island and on the way you stop to go snorkelling and on the island your left to take in your stunning surroundings and are treated to a beach meal of chicken/lobster/fish..if your flying with Thomson your in safe hands with ALEX the hotel rep,he's so helpful he made our holiday you won't get anyone better.only negative (if it is a negative?) the hotel does not have wifi our son was horrified! and the computer room is 20years out of date but he got over the shock!! Kids ay? If we went back to Cuba we would definitely go back to this hotel..

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear carla e,
On behalf of Blau Varadero Hotel we want to thank you for the good reviews about the hotel.
Sorry to hear about the health problems.
Right now we are working on the Wi Fi issue. We hope to have it soon
It will be a pleasure for us to welcome you one more time in Blau Varadero Hotel.
Warm Regards
Thatcham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at the Blau Varadero from 6th September 2012 till 20th September 2012.
It was the best holiday every. The Hotel was out of this world. It was very clean, all the staff were amazing. It will be hard to find a holiday like this one. The beach and the swimming pool was just like going into a warm bath. We meet some great people, and people that have been there 8 times, so that tells it all. It is a great place for all ages. I would go back again that is for sure. Well done Blau. Even the meals in the other restaurants were amazing, the service in there was 100%.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and had a see view and over looking the swimming pool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We booked this hotel as it was rated so well on Trip Advisor but were very disappointed with what we got. It could be because our two previous hotels where Iberostar (in Havana and Trinidad) but the Blau really let us down. The lifts are a joke, not air conditioned, tiny and getting stuck all the time (we actually got stuck in it). The reception staff is either too busy or just couldn't care less. The beds can only have mixed reviews as our room had two double beds, one of them sort of ok, the other one, a bed which should have been binned 10 years ago! The cleaning, when it gets done is ok. We had to spend an hour of back and forth with reception to know when our room would get cleaned from 5.30pm to 6.30pm to then eventually be told it wouldnt happen until 7pm. There is a massive lack of organisation in this hotel.
Food: the food was ok and the buffet did have quite a bit of choice but the fish was usually cold and the veggies didnt always look fresh, neither did the fruits.
The swimming pool was really nice and so was the beach. You do have to get there early to get a beach chair and palm, and some of the guests do have space issues (as in, come right next to you).
Considering all the other good reviews, maybe our experience isn't representative but i definitely wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: In case it was room specific, avoid room 1231!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a very nice hotel. It's one of those places where you come to just relax on the beach. There's not much interacting with local people, unless you venture into the town. It was the photos of the hotel that made me choose it- the photo of the hanging plants in the main area. Quite poor reasoning, yes, but it looked nice!

Good points: Staff are friendly and hardworking.

Rooms are clean and the maids are very nice. If you ask nicely you might be able to borrow an iron from them (rather than paying for the service from the hotel). We tipped her of course.

The beach is beautiful and you can use the pedal boats for free. The water is clear and warm.

Food is ok. As long as the food doesn't make me unwell and it is edible, it gets my stamp of approval! I am a pescetarian and felt well catered forl; I'm not too fussy!

Bad points: There was a fire on the hotel grounds one evening while I was there and it resulted in a 2 hour blackout. Nothing bad happened, but it was worrying because there was no official announcement to reassure guests and I think some didn't even know there was a fire happening!

The smell of cigarette can be overpowering at the bar area in the central part of the hotel (or at any of the communal areas). Not the nicest place to sit for non-smokers.

The lifts are very slow and very hot. This is not a problem if you are able-bodied and can use the stairs.

Eating lunch in the restaurant by the pool is punishing. It can get so hot in there. I sweated buckets and had to pour cold water on myself just to finish a meal in there!

Personally, I don't like to feel like I'm trapped in a hotel, but I felt a bit like this at the Blau. In the evenings, you can watch the hotel entertainment (if you're into it) and sit in the smokey bar area chatting and then there's not much else to do unless you go out to the town/ clubs.

I rated sleep quality low because I felt as though the room was damp and it made the bed feel damp, which made it quite uncomfortable to sleep on. However, sleep is not a priority for me on holiday!

Tips:
In order to go out, you need to take a taxi. If you want to cut on costs, it's good to ask other guests if they're going to the same place as you and then share a taxi to split the fare. On the way back, take one of the old, classic cars or the little, round yellow vehicles because they're cheaper (although they may not be as safe)!!

If you're looking to go out to the clubs, find out before you go which ones are open and when they are likely to be good nights out. For example, I really wanted to go to the Cuevos Los Pirates ('the cave') when I went, but it was only open on Mondays, so I missed it, unfortunately.

The place where you can swim with dolphins is literally right next door to the hotel (5 mins walk). They organise for a coach to pick you up, but you can just walk there and back; I'm not sure how much it is to pay directly at the place rather than using your tour operator.

Would I return to the Blau if I went back to Varadero?
Probably not.
Not because it was not a pleasant visit, but because I really don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and I felt a bit trapped at times and also slightly bored. The Blau is a very nice hotel, but I could happily tolerate lower standards in order to be within walking distance of the town.

Room Tip: Any room with a sea view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear S M,
First of all we want to thank you for choosing Blau Varadero Hotel to spend your holidays in Cuba.
We are glad to read your good comments about the room, food and staff.
Concerning the fire we want to say that the fire did take place but it was outside the hotel and did not affect either clients or the installation. That was the main reason we did not make it public. The result of that would have been an unnecessary chaos and terror among clients. The hotel management took measures immediately and did the best to make clients happy.
We are sorry to hear about the smoking issues .
I deeply appreciate your comments about our staff.
Thanks’ again for your time and your review. I hope to have you here again soon.
Warm regards

Been to Blau Varadero Hotel Cuba? Share your experiences!