“Fulfilled all our expectations and more” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Varadero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Iberostar Varadero
You added Iberostar Varadero to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Las Morlas km 17,5 | Sector Punta Hicacos, Varadero 42200, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Surrey
“Fulfilled all our expectations and more”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We travelled to the Iberostar Varadero for the wedding of our son. We stayed from 3rd -17th November. We booked through Thomas Cook and had reservations before we went with their wedding department as they got the names of the bride & groom incorrect on 2 occasions, first it was my daughter and her boyfriend getting married (much to their amusement) and the second time they tried to marry my husband to my sons future wife. The only confirmation they were able to give us was the date of the wedding and told us that everything else would be dealt with in the resort. I'll come back to that later.

It is worth upgrading to Premier class if you can as you have a dedicated check-in desk, extended luggage allowance (30kg), free drinks throughout the flight in addition to a choice of entertainment and larger seats. My future daughter-in-law was also able to take an additional suitcase containing her wedding dress (this was in addition to her 30kg allowance). We had to disembark in Holguin for approximately 1.5 hours which many people hadn't been made aware of. This is the best place to change your currency as the airport offers a greater rate of exchange than the hotel.

The customs at Varadero was well organized and we got through customs and visa control in about 30 minutes and it was an additional 40 minutes to the hotel.

On arrival at the hotel, your suitcases are left in reception while you check in and are shown to your room and your cases are delivered later. We stayed in block 22 (junior suites) which was separate to the other accommodation and situated near the spa. These rooms are slightly larger and in a quieter location but apart from that there is no difference.

We attended the welcome meeting and decided on 4 trips, swimming with the dolphins, Havana, the catamaran trip and drive your own speedboat. Something I must mention here that we didn't know about and hasn't been mentioned is that apart from credit cards associated with America (MBNA, American Express, Virgin etc.), they also do not accept Abbey credit cards although they do accept Abbey debit cards. My son only had his Abbey credit card with him but thankfully we had taken lots of sterling with us as well as an accepted credit card so we were able to put all of his trips onto our card. Unfortunately we had to reschedule the catmaran trip twice due to the inclement weather (we caught the tail end of Hurricane Ida) and ran out of time to reschedule for a third time but our money was refunded without question. The speedboat trip is great fun, especially if there is a group of you, swimming with the dolphins is expensive but well worth it as there was only 7 people in our group (5 in our family + 2 others) and each person got plenty of personal time with the dolphins (I have swum with the dolphins before in much larger groups and with less personal time with the dolphins). Havana is a must as it gives you a chance to experience true life in Cuba and hear the fascinating history of this country. We also travelled into Varadero on 3 or 4 occasions (about 20 minutes). We tried the open top bus (5CUC) return which you can get on on the main road (not ouside Sandals). This is worth doing if you manage to get a seat upstairs and if you want to hop on and off the bus as this is included in the fare, if you only want to go to one place in Varadero (we went to the largest flea market), it is worth getting the little open train that stops right outside the hotel (2CUC each way). Taxi fare is 15CUC each way.

The hotel was fantastic, the food was good and plentiful (although we have had better in other AI hotels). We tried all 3 al la carte restaurants and the Cuban was our favourite as there was more choice. A word of warning, the mediteranean only serves fish (even the soup is fish) and as 2 of our party do not touch fish, they were disappointed and went hungry although the food was enjoyed by the rest of the party. The japenese restaurant was fun, approx 15 people to a work station with your own personal chef and a choice of fish, beef or chicken which is cooked in front of you with a few surprises thrown in. The rooms are clean and the maids change your towels twice a day and turn down your beds and leave you chocolates in the evening. Your mini bar is restocked daily with beer, soft drinks and water and your tea and coffee are replenished. There is only a coffee maker in the rooms so to have tea you need to fill this with water only, get a glass of milk from one of the bars and keep it in your fridge for your tea as they only supply powdered coffee whitener in your room. The staff are so friendly and go out of their way to make your stay as pleasant as possible, the entertainment in the evening is absolutely brilliant, it is like a top west end show, you would never believe that these people have their own jobs within the hotel during the day and then go on to perform these shows in the evening.

We spent most of our time on the beach which is stunning. Unfortunately due to the weather, the sea was very rough on a few days which stopped all but the very strong swimmers from going in as the riptide was very strong. The waves also came right up the beach and most of the beach disappeared although there is something very romantic about lying on your sunlounger immersed in the sea. Although the weather was like this, it was still very warm. On the calm days, the sea was lovely, very clear, very warm and very safe. It gets deeper very gradually, you have to go a long way out for it to reach your waist. The main pool gets very busy and is quite shallow, the pool by the spa is very small but deeper and a lot quiter, piped music is played through the speakers which is very relaxing. There is a jacuzzi, sauna, gym, hairdressers and treatment rooms within the spa complex. The jacuzzi is unisex so if you go as a couple, you are separated into women and men. I tried one of the aromatherapy massages which at £70 was not cheap but it was absolute bliss. My husband and son made the most of the gym and they took their own tennis equipment and had a few games of tennis, although you can hire tennis equipment. Four of our group booked the hairdressers to have our hair done for the wedding and I cannot recommend them highly enough. I decided to have my hair up for the wedding and chose a photo from one of the many hair magazines that they have and they worked miracles. My hairstyle was identical to the one in the photo and my husband and son both said that I looked the best they have ever seen me (still trying to work out if that is a compliment). All four of us looked great after the hairdressers had worked their magic so don't be afraid to use them (25CUC for any hairstyle that is down or 50CUC for a hairstyle that is up).

Wedding - What can I say other than it was absolutely perfect. My son and his wife had met with the wedding co-ordinator Belkis on several occasions in the first few days we were there, she was brilliant and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel has a standard wedding but my son and daughter-in-law wanted to personalize theirs with their own music, they arranged a white cadillac for after the wedding and changed the venue for the wedding supper (due to the fact that they had booked the mediterranean prior to my son finding out that they only served fish). They had a choice of wedding locations (garden, beach or pool), choice of flowers and a cake. On the day of the wedding the weather was perfect up until about 3 p.m. (wedding was 4 p.m.). The flowers arrived at 3.30 and we left our rooms to head to the beach, by this time it was raining quite heavily and when we arrived at the beach, the wedding gazebo had been set up as it was really windy and well as raining. My son was upset about this as it has always been his dream to get married on the beach. At 4 p.m. the wedding buggy went off to collect my daughter-in-law from her room and lo and behold, the rain stopped and the sun came out so without us having to ask, they quickly rearranged the table and chairs on the sand and the wedding went ahead on the beach as planned, albeit amid very windy conditions. The music that my son and daughter-in-law had requested was played on cue and following that, a saxophonist came down onto the sand while we attempted to perform the cha-cha-cha and did a conga on the beach - surreal but wonderful and very personal. The bride and groom then had further photos taken on the beach and then went on to have photos taken in the grounds around the garden gazebo and lake, the hotel lobby and then out the front of the hotel with the wonderful old cadillac that they had hired. All the while, the champagne flowed freely (too freely as it went straight to my head due to the emotion of everything). On their return we continued drinking in the bar until it was time to go for the evening meal in the Cuban restaurant where we had a fantastic meal and the wedding cake was laid on a separate table and more photos were taken on the cutting of the cake. Following this it was back to the bar before hitting the air conditioned nightclub for a few turns on the dancefloor before collapsing into bed with our heads swimming with all the wonderful memories. The photos were delivered the following day and the DVD 2 days after that and the quality was amazing and so much cheaper than you would pay here (approx. £350 for photographer & £170 for videographer), and they gave them the full CD containing all the photos and the DVD which we were able to copy when we got home so we all have our own treasured memories.

Anyone getting married in this hotel, all I can say is trust the hotel that they know what they are doing as their wedding department is fantastic and they will make your dreams come true and to anyone not getting married, you will also have a fantastic holiday as the surroundings are beautiful and the staff go over and above their call of duty to make your stay as memorable as possible.

• Stayed November 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

My husband and I have just today returned from the IB Varadero and here is my review whilst it's all still fresh.

The check in was very quick and efficient and we were in our room in no time. We were in block 18 which was quite close to the beach. Our maid Jasmena was very good and left us clean, sculptured towels every day and filled up our fridge each day and always had plenty of water. We never had to ask, it was always done. We found out that this was not the case in some other blocks.

We stayed at this hotel 3 years ago and although it's very good now it was excellent before. The main difference this time was the food. In my opinion, although still very good, it's not as good. They're not too quick at replenishing it when dishes run out. Also, the food at the snack bar at lunch time wasn't always cooked properly, especially the chicken. We complained and I think others must have too as then it was overcooked! We filled in the questionnaire they give you half way through the holiday and mentioned the food and we got a phone call asking about our comment s and thanked us for it. We were at the IB Tainos in January which is a 4* hotel and we thought the food was better there.

We tended to spend every day on the beach as it was cooler than around the pool. The beach is very narrow in parts due to the tide coming in quite a way. When we were there before it was much, much wider. It's only this hotel that's affected, all the others have a bigger beach. There's loads of sun beds though but does tend to get a bit crowded. There are two bars on the beach, and one of them has a seating area and a lunch time barbecue where they do burgers and hot dogs. That's quite good. Ariel at the beach bar is very good, and he remembered us from 3 years ago! There's waiter service for drinks on the beach constantly so you don't even have to get up to walk to the bar! The sea is wonderful, warm and blue. You have cards to get the beach towels and you can change them any time, they never run out.

The lobby bar is a great place to spend the evening. The service there was very good. The staff there were great - Pablo, Samuel, Yanelis especially. The only problem is it is very noisy when the show is going on as it is so very loud and you can hardly hear yourself speak!

The First Choice reps were excellent - Frank and Anais. Such lovely people and always ready to help and give you advice and a lovely smile!

All the staff are very friendly and speak to you, the entertainments team work extremely hard, all day and all evening.

One thing, do take plenty of mozzie spray. You will get bitten!

All in all we had a great time. We have been to Cuba six times and still haven't got bored with it!

Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2009

We booked our wedding a year ago through Thomas Cook. We were both apprehensive about getting married abroad as we were not sure how it would go, how good the photographer etc would be and whether it could be handled professionally. Our fears grew when we received the names through of the people getting married and they were both completely wrong. We contacted Thomas Cook and the next names through were marrying my wife to my dad so not good!! We were unable to talk to the wedding coordinator at the resort and Thomas Cook's wedding department couldn't give any more in depth details about our wedding. However any fears soon disappeared and Thomas Cook were right to have total faith in the hotels wedding coordinator "Belkis". On arriving at the hotel we were given an invitation to meet Belkis the following morning to discuss the wedding. On meeting her i was really impressed with her professionalism and friendliness. We went through all the details of the wedding from the locations,photographer,flowers,videographer,cars,service,music,documents and everything else you could think of. We were then shown photo's from other weddings at the hotel and then invited to see another wedding later that day on the beach which we accepted to see how they went. On watching the wedding we saw that the bride walked down to the wedding march. The ceremony took about 15 minutes and was translated by Belkis herself and after the band who performed the wedding march performed three other songs none that we knew and finished with getting everyone to do the "ch-cha-cha". After watching the service although we were really impressed by the location which was stunning we felt the wedding was a bit impersonal. The following day we went to see Belkis to discuss the wedding again. We told her that we would like the wedding march whilst my wife arrived but when she was walking up we would like a Kings Of Leon song. We also said that instead of the music at the end from the band we would like a song from 3 different artists as these songs meant alot to us. We were worried that it might seem that we were ungrateful for the band but we gave her the CD which we numbered and the order in which we wanted them played. Belkis was again fantastic with this and again this was no problem. That night we ate in the Mediterranean restaurant which was the restaurant that we had booked for our party after the wedding. After eating in there we decided that we didn't want to have another meal in there as it was all sea food dishes and two of our party didn't eat any sea food including myself. So the following day we went back to see Belkis. It always amazed me how easy it was to speak to her even though she was so busy arranging other weddings approximately 2 per day. Again this was no problem to her and she changed the restaurant without fuss. By now we were really confident the wedding would be a success as we were extremely impressed with Belkis. This made it so much nicer and reduced the stress. We were getting married at 4pm there time and we were told that at 330 the flowers would be dropped off. Sure enough bang on 330 the button hole arrived and my wifes flowers to her room. We then went down to the beach to wait for my wifes arrival. There we met Belkis who assured me everything was fine and the band and registrar were there. Everything looked great. My only worry was whether they would get the songs and their orders right. At 4 the wedding march started up and once finished the Kings of Leon song started perfect timing on everything. My wife walked down looking absolutely stunning and the service started (the photographer and videographer met my wife at her room and accompanied her to the beach). After every few lines from the registrar in Spanish Belkis would translate it into English. Then it was the moment to say i do or SI as it turned out due to having to say it in Spanish!! We had to make our own vows as they did not have vows for us. This turned out to be a really nice idea and so we both exchanged very personal vows. Finally we signed the paperwork on the beach and were announced as husband and wife (at this exact moment you could hear the popping of champagne corks from the staff behind) Again our first song together was exactly right as was our other two songs the second one being to dance with parents and third for everyone. But there was one more song which was beautiful. We thought we had got away with the Cha Cha Cha but onto the beach walked our very own saxophonist and their he played the most beautiful music whilst we all attempted the dance (but failed miserably). More photo's were taken on the beach and then we left our party to have photo's taken around the hotel. First stop was the gardens where you could also get married. Again stunning scenery and ideal for photo's. Our photographer was out of this world. I hate having my photo taken but she was so friendly and professional she really put us both at ease and the results from the photo's our amazing. Her name was Mayrelys Benitez Herrera (maria) and her English was great and as i said she was a lovely women. We then moved on to the lobby for more photo's and then finally to the front of the hotel for photo's in a great white Cadillac. We then went onto go for a drive in it before returning to the hotel. Throughout the day the service had been exceptional and everything had ran so smoothly. We were so impressed with how into it the photographer and wedding coordinator were. I would think it would be very easy to become disinterested doing weddings twice a day but they made us feel so special and they were so into it that it was like it was their first ever wedding also. When we arrived back from the drive we met the rest of our party in the bar. There you could have champagne on tap all free of charge which suprised me as i expected to have to pay for extra bottles of champagne but this was not the case. We ate in the Cuban restaurant that night which was our personal favourite and the food was great. Our table had been decorated with flowers and after the meal our wedding cake was there looking great. The only let down of the whole day was that they didn't have a proper cake cutting knife so we used a bread knife (if that is the only thing you can find to complain about you know that it has gone well!!). On arriving back to our room that night there was a lovely bowl of fruit left, champagne, our just married t-shirts and beautiful towel designs (you get them daily but these surpassed the others although it could have been the drink that made me think that). The only warning i will give if you are thinking about getting married on the beach. We got married at 4pm and it was a little overcast on the day and so the beach was deserted an absolute dream. However the wedding we observed at 2pm on a sunny day had an awful lot of "strangers" sat on sun beds all watching the ceremony and i would guess these would be picked up on photo's. Apart from that it is an ideal place to get married absolutely beautiful and i would recommend it to anyone. The prices for the photographer were approx £298 once converted and this was for her services 80 printed pictures and a CD containing 200 in total. These were delivered the day after the wedding great service. The videographer cost approx £150 after conversion for her service the wedding DVD which lasts about 18 mins but is so professionally done and a DVD of the resort itself. This was delivered about three days after the wedding but i know it can be done sooner if you are running out of time. The Cadillac was appprox £45 for the half hour. We are so pleased with the photo's and DVD it was a big concern as if the photo's are rubbish it can take the shine off the wedding but we should never have worried about any of it.
The hotel now itself was stunning. You have 1 main restaurant which is a great buffet great choice and very good quality.
3 special restaurants. First one Japanese- very good food great environment own chef for about 15 people very nicely done with good choice for fish eaters and meat eaters.
Mediterranean- Awful for me as i hate seafood and there was no other choice which i think is very bad. This was a shame as the people who do like fish really liked it there so it is something they should consider.
Cuban- Outside restaurant food great setting great and the service great. Also good variety of things to choose from.
Entertainment- This was the best entertainment i have come across in any hotel. All involve there own staff but so professionally done and a different show every night for the whole two weeks. Activities throughout the day but we did not get involved.
Nightclub- Great environment air conditioned but fairly poor DJ. Plays all R &B music which doesn't suit the guests they have there but when asks does play some of the older classics which fills the dance floor (i would like to apply for this job!!)
Staff and Cuban People were so friendly i could not fault them they were friendly because they wanted to be not because it was forced or that they were after a tip.
Excursions we did 3- Dolphins- £56 for swimming with the dolphins for full half hour your fully in water with them they push you up out of the water, pull you along and plenty of opportunities to stroke them. After a 20 minute dolphin show. We both thought this was fantastic deal and really enjoyable.
Speed boat- £26 per person you need 2 people. Great fun out for an hour and half really good and stop at a very small zoo where you get to hold little crocodile and snake.
Havana- £51 coach picks you up 2 and half hours to Havana takes you around Havana you get lunch which was fine and there is plenty of time to have a look around yourself.

Overall we loved this Hotel country and people. Everyone is so friendly and so professional the hotel is stunning service incredible and their organization of our wedding was faultless. Could not recommend highly enough.

• Stayed November 2009
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

We just returned from a fabulous week at Iberostar Varadero!!! I cannot express in words the service we had over the past week. These people are exceptional!
The flight was short(just 3h from Toronto). The ride to the hotel is approx 35min.
Check-in was fast.
ROOM:
We arrived earlier then excepted so we had to wait less than an hour for our room. The room was clean. We had a regular room. If you are thinking about a Junior suite, don't bother, we looked at one and they are basically the same. We were in block 19, close to the lobby.

Food:
Always a variety in the buffet for all tastes

A la Carte
Mediterranean- Excellent
Japanesse- too salty
Cuba-Good (order the tenderlion)

Pool
Always chairs
The pool bar staff are amazing at making drinks, especially Elizabeth
There is always staff going around asking if you want drinks

Beach
Always chairs
Bar staff on the beach as well

STAR FRIENDS
These are the entertainment staff. They are amazing people to get you motivated but not pushy. There is always a variety of activities, especially around the pool in the late afternoon.

Shows
-Excellent, especially the Boogie Night show

Overall, i was exceptionally pleased with this hotel . I will go back again someday

liverpool u.k
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Iberostar Varadero from 31st october until the 13th of november and we absolutely loved it. There is so much I could write but i will keep it as brief as I can. The airport transfer took about forty minutes, upon arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink whilst we waited for our room to be ready. When we arrived at our room we had a junior suite and a fabulous sea view. and there was a bottle of sparkling wine and fruit waiting for us. The staff at the hotel are brilliant from the reception to the cleaners to the gardeners they all greet you with a friendly hola and can't do enough for you. I would just like to mention our cleaner magnolia she was such a sweetheart and looked after us well. There are a load of bars at the iberostar and they were all great we especially liked the lobby bar and we even ventured into the disco which was so much fun (cheers sarah and ali the hangover wasn't lol). All the resteraunts were good our particular favourite was the japanese and there was a large selection at the buffet resteraunt. All of the excursions were good and the overnight havana trip and the catamaran are definitely worth doing as is the swimming with dolphins!. The shows were good in the theatre and the star friends are great especially Roly he is hilarious hahha. We absolutely loved it I could go on and on the pools and grounds were well maintained and the beach was spotless. We are definitely going back to Iberostar Varadero we loved it and to anyone who is planning to go there I hope you love it as much as we did .

Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

We stayed 6th-13th November after being moved from the Laguna Azul. We booked with Direct Holidays and were so glad we got moved. The flight was with Thomas Cook and as its the winter months we had to stop at Holguin before landing at Varadero. We had about an hour in Holguin airport so we changed our money there (got 1.47CUC compared to 1.36CUC at the hotel). This airport has a little cafe and is sooo cheap!

We landed at Varadero, passed through passport control etc, met our rep and were on the bus within 10mins. By this time it was dark and raining really heavy!!

It took around 40mins to get to the hotel (we stopped at 2 other hotels before that). Check-in took about 5 mins and I was please that I recieved the room I requested 1645, which has a great sea view. We were took to our room by golf buggy and our bags arrived shortly after.

Now, I'll just summarise the whole holiday otherwise I could go on for days and days:

WEATHER: It was cloudy for the first 2 days. Hurricane Ida was in the vacinity which resulted in it being windy, few rain showers and cloudy. After it passed the weather was hot, sunny and breezy- got a great tan though!

FOOD: Lots of variety although have seen more at other AI, but what they was very good. We dined in all 3 a la carte restaurants and were lucky enough to get a chef to ourselves in the Japanese. The Japanese is by far the BESt of the 3 and the floor show is great. There is a lot of sea food on the menus here which we loved. For lunch there is a buffet restaurant and a BBQ on the beach near one of the bars. There is also a grill near the buffet and on some days it had paella.

BARS: There are 7 bars here. Cocktails were great and mixed infront of you. Try the Mojitos at the beach bar, they are the best. Waiter service on the beach and by the pool. The nightclub was good, we went to the karaoke.

BEACH: The beach is stunning. As it was so Windy the sea was rough. There are loads of palpas which we found a little annoying to get a spot in the sun! There are attendants on the beach who brush the sand off you loungers and put them where you want an tuck you towel in for a small tip.

ROOM: If you can, ask for room 1645, great sea view. Room was clean and spacious. Had a separate shower from bath. When we arrived we had a rose and some chocolates and a little note from the Maid, Yida. We left her a load of cosmetics and some dress jewellery along with a tip when we left. We ordered room service once, just to try it out. It came within 20mins and they were fairly large meals. Best Room service I've experienced in an AI.

POOL: it was really busy at the pool due to the weather being a bit windy but we spent most days on the beach. (there is waiter service on the beach and at the pool)

OVERALL: staff are great, we tipped everyone from waiters to the gardeners. The Gardens are immaculate. They all take time to say hello to you and they work at least 10 hours per day. The resort is massive. We only had a week there and only just began to find our feet towards the end. This is the best Caribbean Island we have been to and this hotel is 5star all the way.

TIPS: do the open top tour bus, go to the markets they are so cheap, that cheap we didn't even haggle. (I got a ring made of shell for 1CUC). To get the bus you have to go to the bus stop on the main road not the one along the road by Sandals.

Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

If you are looking for a place to stay in Varadero Cuba, the Iberostar Varadero is the best there is. This hotel has everything. The service all round was excellent from the time we arrived until we left. They even took our drink orders on the beach.
We never ate in the ala cart restaurants (there are 3) as there was such a selection in the buffett restaurant. The food was great and if you couldn't find something to eat there, you must be a picky eater. Food was available 24 hours a day.
The grounds are amazing and well kept. There were 4 weddings the week we were there and after speaking with one of the new bridest the hotel staff cater to the wedding party and family. She was quite happy with all the services on her big day!
The beach was beautiful, no problem with huts, towels, etc. Drink orders were taken at the beach also! The pools are amazing although we never went in as we tend to stay at the beach. Execurions, mopeds, car rental, all at the hotel.
Our room was spacious and clean with a balcony looking out to one of the beautiful gardens.
Definitely would return to this hotel again and recommend it to everyone go to Varadero.
Bring insect repellent though! The mosquitos can be a pain.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Iberostar Varadero? Share your experiences!