“Oasis Las Morlas - 5 star experience in a 3.5 star resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Be Live Las Morlas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Be Live Las Morlas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Las Americas, s/n (Reparto de la Torre), Varadero 10400, Cuba   |
Ranked #21 of 58 hotels in Varadero
London,Ontario
“Oasis Las Morlas - 5 star experience in a 3.5 star resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

What a beautiful resort. This was not our first visit to this hotel and knew basically what to expect. Great service, friendly staff, good drinks , excellent location and descent food. We were not disappointed, if anything,it got better. The food was excellent, and everything else was elevated.
There is a new manager, CRISTIANO BERTELLI, from Italy....what a super nice person, always around talking to the guests and making sure everyone was having a good time.......
There is also a new head Chef.....CHRIS..........(my apologies, Chef, I can't remember your last name)...the food was absolutely excellent....and he was approachable......
Many of the staff remembered us and made us feel quite at home. As many reviews have pointed out, the hotel has a large population of Italian guests, and that they were rude and pushy....well, We never experienced anything like that.......they were absolutely fun to be around and we all had a great time......in fact, with so many people speaking Italian, you will felt, at times, that you were in little Italy....We loved it.....and look forward to the same experience again.
The Las Morlas is a hidden gem........beautiful grounds, excellent nightly shows (water), excellent staff, excellent food, beautiful pool with swim-up bar........just a little piece of heaven.
Changes?...Two things I would like to see....(1) expand the dessert choices. (2) The hamburger patties could be improved.
Finally, my thanks, and sincere gratitude for making our vacation a vacation to remenber.
THE BEST:
Manager Cristiano Bertelli
Reservations Isabelita
Reception Yulisa
Reception Isabel
Chef Chris
Bartender (male) Yamir
Bartender (female) Milagross ( I hope I spelt it correct)
Restaurant Server Guillermo (al al carte)
Restaurant Server Cary (a la carte)
Housekeeping Sonia

There are others to whom I would like to express my heartfelt thanks, and although I can`t remember your names I won`t forget you. See you again.

• Stayed April 2010

851 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Polish first
halifax NS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

.............AND NOW THE TRUTH
My wife and I just came back from Las Morlas. We had 8 incredible days april 2-9.
The hotel was about 80% booked and arrived around 11:30 am. The room was not quite ready and we just changed and went straight to the beach. As with many resorts in Varadero , the beach is absolutely beautiful. This is a small resort with I believe about 140 rooms. Everything is only minutes away.
ROOMS
small,tidy,clean you are there only to sleep.There is a small balcony ours was 418 which overlooked the pool area. If you are a night reader please bring a book light as the lighting in the rooms are very poor for reading.
FOOD
I can honestly say that after my 10th visit to Cuba the food was by far the best. Mind you my wife and I are not picky eaters but there was only one night that we thought the food not that great. If you like pasta you will love this place. The chef( who is from italy) showed me his garden that he waters every night. He had Basil,Rosemary and peppers and other herbs. It is truly amazing. We never ate at the a la carte and always ate at the buffet. Keep in mind that it only opens at 7pm, but the beach grill is usually open until 5:30pm. One night they served domestic rabbit which was fantastic! Some nights there was not a large selection of vegtables.
I really enjoyed the smallness of this resort. At 4pm there are no rowdy drunks by the pool bar. after the show ends @ 11pm the disco opens but I never saw more then 8 people. it seems that if people wanted to go out they either went to the International hotel or downtown.
You are about a 10 min walk from the beach ( 20 walking on the road ) to calle 62.
There is a bank right mext to the hotel $100 CAN got you $88.58 CUC
You can only get beer from the beach bar , pool bar and Disco. The coffee bar in the main lobby serves wine coffee, and spirits but no beer. Because it is small it is just a short walk to the pool bar to get your beer.
Italians
Contrary to previous remarks the hotel does not cater to italians. I felt just as special and I felt I was treated the same as everyone "a GUEST". Many of the italians went on day excursions and were gone most of the day. They seemed to prefer the beach over the pool, and there are plenty of lounging chairs around the pool and beach.
Tipping is not neccesary but appreciated. Mosquito season is soon coming, and a few of the staffed ask if we had bug repelent, this would make a nice tip.
THE BEST FOR LAST
They staff here are special. Many have worked at this resort for 15+ years. Ricardo in the coffee bar lounge is very nice and makes great coffee to start your day. He can even teach you some spanish. Juan the bell hop a well educated 63 year old man who has worked at the hotel over 17 years. If you are interested about life before and after th''triumph of the revolution'' Juan is your man. He will give you his opinion, I found him fascinating.
The happiest guy on the resort is the cook Wiefredo, he is the meat carver. He always had a smile and wanted you to smile as well. The next time I have a bad day in Canada I will think of him.
Jose Louis our waiter always made sure we had coffee in the morning and a cold beer and red wine in the evening.
Horscheck and all the poolstaff were just great. They made sure they tried to serve people in sequence and not just the ones trying to butt in.
The manager Chris does an excellent job at this resort and is always trying to improve it. My wife gave him her book lite and he assured her that was one of the priorities. We had a good Laugh. The animation staff are terrific ,god they work hard.
The place is absolutely safe, there is even a black cocker spaniel that came by the resort a couple of times. We were told that it was the drug dog with the police. Please remember that illegal drugs are all treated the same so do not be STUPID!!!!
We met great guests from Italy,Toronto,Montreal, Nova Scotia.and we had a great time.
If you have any questions you can e-mail.me.
PS There is a great seat sale out of Halifax the end of April for $844 taxes in. This is a steal.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Everything is relative... Some of my likes and dislikes might be the opposite for others, so here's how it was for me (us) with the circumstances during our family stay, up to other's interpretation... We previously went to Aruba, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Mexico, Florida and Brazil.

My review will overall be positive, but what needs to be said has to be said. First the "bad" then the good.

THE BAD:

What we were looking for is a small, quiet hotel with good food, friendly staff and a great beach not too far from the airport with great reviews. If I could sum it all up it was everything of that except for one, very annoying thing: to put things in perspective, my wife and I traveled with our 6 year old girl, 1 1/2 year old boy, my mother and 80 year old aunt... The music and microphone announcer by the pool were so (pathetically) loud every night from 9-11PM that we simply could not sleep until almost midnight. With the A/C on to buffer the noise and polite talks with the front desk and our travel reps, we were not able to reach the compromise we asked for: reduce the music by about 1/3 so that everyone would be happy. Our rooms (413 and 414) were almost the farest away too, though we had a wonderful view of the pool. I mean, our vacation should include being able to sleep in our room when we want, especially at that time. The hotel was full and we'd have no quieter place to go anyway. We almost switched hotel because we had to catch up with our sleep during the day: my wife took the 2 kids who woke up at 7am, until 11am while I slept in and missed breakfast buffet; then it would be my turn to take care of them until about 3pm and she'd missed the lunch buffet. The following day we alternated the routine. As much as we tried to cope in a positive way, we were all insulted and in disbelief every time 9pm kicked off and got awakened abruptly, all tired and knowing we'd stare at the ceiling and comfort the kids until 11pm+. Would it not be for this one issue (sleep deprivation), I'd rate this place a 4 star.

Continuing on with sleep deprivation: because there wasn't enough huts for everyone on the beach (and everyone was snapping the huts farest away from the speakers), I got up every morning after day 2 between 4:30am and 6:30am to put a towel on one of the huts' chairs.

The one area where we were successful is to have the "music" lowered at the beach. Two loud speakers playing very loud techno all day (words that repeat some 25 times) to the point were we couldn't hear each other talk. I tried to cope there too but after two days (I escaped Canada to hear the wave splash on the beach after all!) we approached the manager, very politly, and the music blessfully changed to "Guantanamera" type for the rest of the stay. We suspect the young lad contolling the music got carried away (as much as he could). It then became a paradise, a bliss, a piece of heaven on the beach.

Something else we didn't expect to be annoying was the people selling souvenirs on the beach. I mean here I was, in Cuba, after saving money for a year, getting up before 6am to save a hut, beat up from the loud music the nights before only to have this vendor with a small house on his bike full of items plant himself on the beach with all his things digged in the sand right between the ocean and my hut from 9am to 5pm every other day! This situation didn't spell "relax" in my mind. It spelled "Money."

Last negative issues: I agree with a previous review... there's lots of Italians... some nice and some not, just like any other countries I'd say, though I didn't appreciate the one who dropped a glass by the pool and didn't pick it up. And do they ever smoke a lot. I had to clear the sand of cigarette butts around the hut by the beach so my son didn't play with them. There are ash trays all over! The shower water pipe was loose and the water was splashing here and there and the toilet seat would freaklily move to the side with a "thump" now and then. Finally, we all got a bit of an indigestion near the end, but nothing major.

THE GOOD:

All in all, we had a blast in Cuba! It was fun and we understand why people go back over and over again. We will too.

The beach and water:
Absolutely spectacular. I mean, the color of the water looks nicer in person than on any pictures. We all had this look of amazement every day and the beach is large with beautiful, almost white sand. The water's temperature was perfect... seemed cold for the 1st minute but after you didn't want to come out. You can walk a long time in both directions. Tons of points right there. On the first day we did get 3 salesmen (1 for CD's, the other to go to a restaurant outside the resort and the 3rd for cigars) but they were polite and not pushy.

The rentals:
We went out on a small catamaran from the beach with a guide, got the anker down 10 minutes later and snorkeled for 45 minutes seeing hundreds of nice fish, feeding them with bread.

The hotel:
Very acceptable; opened; friendly staff; one small but fast enough elevator; 30 minute drive from the airport; 4 minute drive to Varadero by taxi (4 to 5 pesos one way) and not much to see but it was good to go out.

The pool:
Awesome for kids! It starts at the shallow end (by the fall) ankle deep and going progressively deeper. The water temperature was very good. The pool area is almost empty all day until 4pm, when people start coming back from the beach but it never got too crowded.

The food:
Extraordinary! Eating there was always a treat. We were giggling during the day just at the thought of the treat waiting for us. Plenty of choice including pasta for kids and a little something new every day. The morning buffet was opened from 7am to 9:30am; the lunch buffet was outside by the beach between 12:30pm to about 2:30pm and the evening buffet from 7pm-9pm. Fish, salads, fruits, pasta, a variety of bread, soup, chicken, beef, pork, seafood rice, shrimps, custom made omelettes, eggs, french toasts, pancakes, cereals, yogurt, juices, wine, cheese, milk, ice creme, cup cakes, etc............................. We had 3 men signing and playing music at out table, which was a great experience. There's music playing (sometimes rather loud) during all buffets and it took us a few days to get used to all the noise. (Our rep told us once: "You know, that's how the Italians like it and there's mostly Italians here.")

The plane:
Wow to SunWing! Much better than Air Canada. Thanks! Faster, more organised, on time, friendly staff, better food, etc. And oh, free Champagne on our way to Cuba! At the airport an airport staff moved our luggage onto our cart (a whole 2 feet distance, in less than 5 seconds) and I thought that was so nice. Then I heard: "Tip!" I had no pesos and he was ok with that. So was I.

Tiping at the hotel:
Ahhhhh. It wasn't planed this way, but here's how we ended up tiping. When we arrived in Cuba we didn't take pictures for the first 2 days nor had pesos with us as we wanted to enjoy the vacation for us instead of worries about camera angles. Some bar tenders were genuinly friendly regardless of tipping while others expected a tip in exchange for their smile. So we waited until the last day to tip and to hand over all the gifts we had brought: baseballs, caps, bike pumps, pesos, etc. Guess what? Those who had genuinly been nice got the mother load and were very appreciative. This was noticed by other staff who tried to be present (only) during our distribution but it felt so right to reward the friendly, mature staff who made our kids welcomed, smiled at them and us at the table, stopped to say hi, etc.

The Big Catamaran Excursion:
It was fun... my daughter enjoyed the dolphins. The boat holds some 50 people (again, with loud music), takes 50 minutes to reach a big rectangular enclosure (approx. 300 x 300 feet) (100m x 100m) in the middle of the ocean which contains some 4 dolphins. You step in 3 feet of water and pet them as they swim by. For 10 pesos you get a nice pic with the dolphin kissing you. Back on board you anker down 30 minutes later and snorkel for 30 minutes... not the best snorkling in the waves, wind, 20 feet of not so clear water with life jackets on. Only a few fish at the bottom. Then about 30 minutes to a "secluded" island to eat on crowded picnic tables... there's no hotel, but there's hundreds of other tourists so it's a bit crowded. Choice of lobster of chicken. Lobster was ok but chicken was dry. The beach there is beautiful and you stay there for 2:30 hours to relax. No fish to see for snorkeling though (I tried every where). If you miss your ride back at 3PM you can take another boat... we had some different people on our boat on our way back. Then the boat leader began "the dance". Women on one side, men on the other side, chanting and pointing at... Well, wasn't for everyone.

Other:
It was windy every day and that was a good thing, though it was a bit cool on one day if you were in the shade. Without sun taning lotion I'd burn good in less than a day. The evenings on the beach were cool but by the pool it was ok. We saw one frail moskito and a few sand flies that didn't bother any one. Cubans must be some of the friendliest people on Earth... Polite, non-pretentious, willing to help, smiles. Our maid was ok. We met a couple who had been to Cuba 11 times and they had to stay next door for a night (sardine quarters, no hot water) because Las Morlas had no room for them. The internet was too slow to use. My daughter wanted for us to buy a house and move to Cuba!

There's so much positive that we'd likely go back, but the loud music will make us look elsewhere just to see if there's something quieter.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
ness9687
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2010

awesome service and wonderful food, incredible staff also.

Kingsville Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2010

We stayed at Las Morlas from March 9-16, with our two teenaged boys. Luckily, we met some very lovely people who had four teenagers with them, and so our children were happy. Not sure otherwise how they would have done, as it is not a teenaged crowd. There is a disco at night, but not a ton of kids to attend. It's an indoor place for the kids to hang out after the pool bar is closed and the shows are over. The shows varied every night and were for the most part, very good.

So many positive things to say about this resort. Really, nothing negative with regards to the resort itself. Three red flag days due to rough water and/or Portuguese man of war, kinda spoiled the beach fun for the boys, nothing the resort can control.

Yes, there are a lot of Italians here. We did not interact with them, not because they were rude in any way, just because of the language barrier. We were fine with the whole thing. It was nice to hear another language , made us feel like we really were in another country. There was enough English to get by. Bothers me though that the Italians don't tip at all. Were they rude? For the most part, no. Did a couple of people act snobby and push their way in line? Once or twice. Would you find this at an all English or American resort??? Indeed you would!

The rooms. Small, tasteful and very clean. Balcony with a view to the pool/ocean and of the grounds in general. Bathroom, with a vanity outside the bathroom. Blowdryer, on the cold side. If you are fussy, bring your own. An assortment of plugs, enough to go without a converter. Plenty of hangers in the closet. Air conditioner works great, but yes, it is loud and you will not here your alarm in the morning, get a wake up call! Always hot water. Fridge, one large bottle of water on arrival, the rest is up to you.

The wandering lazy river pool was very nice, and very shallow, for wading or floating. Parents with small children loved it, didn't need safety equipment, young ones were very safe here. Under the bridge leads to the larger pool, which is about four feet deep. Very nice. Chairs were always available, but not always in the sun! If it was a cool day, you had to work for a sunny spot.

The beach was perfect. Free catamarans, you are taken out with a worker from the resort to manage the sails. Snorkelling equipment available, but no fish in the area. A handful of topless sunbathers, nothing to worry about. (much less offensive than the 60 year olds in speedos and bikinis!). Sand was perfect, water gorgeous, shallow sandbar, lots of palapas and chairs. Beach was cleaned daily, and the general grounds were kept in good shape.

Two stores are located in the lobby. One with an excellent selection of cigars, perfumes etc, the other has a few snacks, drinks (yes coca cola!) and a small variety of beach gear, hats, toys and bathing suits. Also an internet room, the net is just as speedy as mine at home, $10/hour.

Ping pong table and pool table were a big hit with my family, always equipped with balls and cues. They also have a good air conditioned fitness center.

The food. What can I say, it was ALWAYS excellent. We did not use the a la carte.
Breakfast was the same every day, but it was so complete that you did not need a change. There were made to order omlettes and fried eggs, french toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit, salad, juices, etc. Lunch was at the beach, and/or the buffet, depending on the weather. Beach was a smaller version, but still, more than adequate version of the buffet. A grill for hamburgers, hot dogs and fish, a couple of fresh stir fry and casserole dishes, full salad and bread selections and dessert and drinks. Dinner at the buffet had a few things that were constant every night, casseroles, salads, desserts, etc. Two to three fish selections every night, with one always freshly grilled, along with a grilled meat selection that varied every night. Also a roast station every night, pork, beef or roast poultry. Also a fresh pasta station every night. The chef is Italian. The food is good. No need to bring spices.

Also, don't forget to get a massage from Aida. $25 dollars for an hour, $10 for 20 minutes. Very relaxing and worthwhile.

This resort is small. If you are into the mega resort with 20 activities going on at once and tons of walking to restaurants and the beach and the pool, this is not the place for you. The farthest you will walk is to the beach, which is 3-4 minutes at most, from the farthest point! Everything else lies in between your room and the beach. Great if you want to keep a close eye one your teenaged kids (there is no drinking age in Cuba and the kids were always served without question). If you don't want your children served, you just need to tell the bartenders and they will oblige. Small also means no line-ups for food or activities, no shortage of drinks or supplies and no feeling stressed or rushed at any time. Forgot something in your room? No big deal, go back, it will only take a minute!!!

On a side note, the jeep safari trip is huge bang for your buck (72 pesos) and made our trip unforgettable. If you are planning on bringing gifts for the Cuban people, take the safari and bring your gifts. You will see plenty of children in the villages that you can give things to as you drive by.

This hotel far exceeded our expectations. We have no desire to even look at another hotel in Varadero. We will return, our hearts were broken when we left. We feel as though we have found a hidden gem in a vast sea of mega hotels that do not appeal to us at all. Our only fear is that others will find this place and it will become increasingly difficult to book or more expensive. Keep up the good work Christiano, your commitment and hard work is paying off!

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions.

windsor,ont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

We travelled from march 8-15,2010, from London, Ont. with Sunwing. Flights both ways were great and on time. my group had two adults and two kids.
cleanliness : grounds well kept, rooms need updating and some basic maintenance, but any and all of our issues were dealt with promptly and efficiently.
Location: from the airport approx. 30 minutes. Our room was one of the family suites on the main level and the location was great for access to the pool and buffet, however was alittle bit noisy at night as the shows were outside and ou room was across from the disco. My girls are 41/2 and 6 so this is a different perspective on noise till midnight or later.
Food: Very good and hot. There was alot of choice of meats and always fish and a meat being prepared fresh on the grill. We did not use the a la carte
Kids club: Very well run. The man who heads the club is italian on contract, but is very patient and does seem to try to include all the children, but is not pushy. So, if the child refuses one day he probably won't ask again. Lots of activites for them to do at the beach and in the club. They could use some more shovels and pails for the beach though.
Animation/entertainment : good! There was nightly shows going on, which as mentioned above sometimes catered to thier Italian clientele, but still enjoyable.
service: FANTASTIC! IT seemed like most of the staff that I spoke with had been with the company for quite awhile and all of them seemed to genuinely try to make your stay enjoyable. Thanks to Zenia and Yamir for making the girls happy and in turn me. Also Elenys in the buffet does a great job! Morning coffees in the lobby great! I too had a massage and the women did a great job.
Rooms: Very tired. Clean, but we had a couple of issues which were immediately addressed by the manager Christiano and followed up with by him.
Overall: I have struggled with whether I would go back due to the state of the rooms, but in reflection I say YES. I like how small the resort was, food was good , but by far what would bring me back is the staff and how quickly they get to know you . The beach was beautiful here also where you could walk for miles.

Barrie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

Just returned from a week in paradise! This is a truely amazing resort! People told me the food in Cuba is awful, but the food here was excellent! Great flavour and lots of variety!
The rooms are incredibly clean and the staff is very friendly! Alberto and Fabio guarantee a great time!
The only thing that wasn't perfect was that some of the staff spoke little to no English. The guests are primarily Italian, and some of the staff only spoke Italian, not even much Spanish! But, all the staff did a great job at being friendly and attempting to communicate as best they could.
Overall, a great place! There are still some minor renovations going on, and I would anticipate that once they are finished, it will become a 5 star....so go there while you can!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Be Live Las Morlas? Share your experiences!