“great location, food not so much !” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Los Delfines

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Los Delfines
You added Hotel Los Delfines to your Saves list
Avenida de la Playa and Calle 39, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #33 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
toronto, canada
“great location, food not so much !”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

First of all bring water from the plane with you to the hotel because there won't be anything in your mini fridge, ever. For one week the food is edible but after two weeks it was very boring and bland. I never looked forward to meal time. You never had trouble getting a beach chair at any time of the day, in sun or shade so that was great. Only 3 t.v. channels are in english. The hotel is right in the middle of restaurants and flea markets where you can get you r souveneirs at a cheap price. The horse and buggy rides are fun, just check the price first and always have small bills as the drivers never have change. The drinks are very poor quality and did not taste great and they were very limited in their choices. If you just drink beer or something not exotic you will be ok. The a la carte dinner is a few tables set up around the snack bar pool and is not much better than the buffet. Hope you like extremely well well cooked meat because that is the only way they cook it. A good hint, bring your own salad dressing from home, theres is not good.
I ate of lot of the ham and cheese sandwiches at the snack bar. It is actually quite a nice little hotel, the staff is friendly and very helpful , but if they could elevate the quality of the food it would be fabulous. Bring tips, the ladies love lip gloss. I got some shimmery fruit flavoured ones at the dollar store ( 4 for one dollar) and the just loved them. Little things like make a big difference. There are a lot of Italians there and they don't seem to tip so when a canadian tips it is really appreciated and remembered in future service. The staff really is obliging. The entertainment is all lip-synching but they try, and luciano the entertainment director is a fun guy you just have to love, a very sweet man. This small hotel is great for one week but not for two. Enjoy the beach, The water is amazing and you don't need your water shoes. Bring your own beach towel and that save the hassal of always having to rent one. Bring some snacks with you, because you can't get any food after 9:30 p.m. , only drinks. If you don't like your room and want on ocean view just ask and the will do there best for you. We got ours the second morning we were there. Go and have fun and bring a sweater for the evening, That wind get down right cool. have fun

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Just returned on the 15th and must say, for a 3.5 star, pretty good. Keeping in mind the standards are different in Cuba versus say Canada, it's also my first time in the Caribbean so everything was VERY new and shocking for me.

It's a hotel that's actually clean, I was surprised to see that there were NO bugs or rats. The room is boring and we got stuck with two singles instead of a single big bed but whatever, we came for the sun and beach, don't really care what the room looks like just long as it was cleaned everyday and cleaned properly. If you're a clean freak like myself, bring your own antibacterial wipes and Purell to wipe down the bathroom. I suggest bringing another pair of flip flops to wear in the hotel room so you don't track dirt in with your "outdoor" flip flops. On the first night, there was only warm water for our shower, which is fine since it's 17 degrees out at night. The next day though, we got hot water for our showers, not sure if it was because the hot water tank was turned on more or because the temperature was 30+ during the day but we have no complaints about our showers.

The food is yummy and edible however, it does get boring and repetitive. It was Italian so pasta, pasta, pasta and Cuban which is rice, rice, rice. At least they had ice cream for dessert every time :) If you're picky about the food, just head outside of the hotel for some local restos. The a la carte resto wasn't fancy but is better than the buffet. They have 6 resident cats (probably why we didn't see any roaches/rats) constantly at our feets (they're all over the grounds outside) but we're animal lovers so we didn't mind them--you can just ignore them or you can feed them if you want their attention.

The staff are friendly, speak at least 3 different languages and work pretty hard. (Italian, Spanish, English). Of course, some people have their off moments but overall they're all very happy to assist us.

Our room faced the pool right above the stage so we heard the locals sometimes at night but we could also watch the entertainment from our porch if it was windy outside.

This hotel has security, the beach has security and there are Police on the streets so Varadero is very safe for tourists to travel around in.

We were definitely lucky, the weather was just perfect the week of the 7th-14th. 30+ during the day and 17 at night--couldn't ask for better weather :)

The hotel is directly in the heart of Varadero so you can explore on foot or take the BEACH Tour Bus for 5$ all day (recommended). The Place D'America's mall sucked, save your cash and hit up the 3 flea markets instead. Prices are cheaper for the same items. There's a grocery store, recommend you stop in there for snacks and bottled water because the snack bar and buffet resto are NOT 24/7. The store inside the hotel in the bar area sells authentic cigars the cheapest or just hit up the Duty Free at the airport for cigars (and you can use your CDN credit card).

Overall had a great time and look forward to coming back to Cuba. For the price, location and the fact that the place is clean and has edible Italian food, we can't complain. However, I might spend a couple hundred dollars more at a 4 or 4.5 star next time. If you're on a budget like I was though, for 715$ after taxes, this place is ideal :)

Toronto, ON, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

THE GOOD
The hotel is in a great spot.
The beach is nice and fairly secluded, plenty of chairs (but the sand gets better as you go east toward hotel row)
The food, while not great, is passable and sometimes comes with great live music
LUCIANO does his best to maximize your enjoyment and participation
The staff are (generally) friendly

THE BAD
NO HOT WATER IN SEVEN DAYS - I was amazed to hear their EXPLANATION. If you do not like to have COLD showers all the time DO NOT STAY HERE. SOME got WARM water for spells (20-30 secs) but ,,,NO HOT WATER
HORRIBLE BED (and I still stay in hostels from time to time)
Many of the travellers that I encountered were loud and obnoxious ie. 20 ppl lining up beach chairs right at the shore to secure their area of beach and ruin everyone elses view of the beach.
Bar staff can be rude and made the worst pina coladas i've tasted
Many if not most of the rooms do not face the pool and have horrible views. I knew this in advance and made every effort to get an interior room to no avail.
The nightly entertainment was local, earnest and genuine but personally, I thought that it was horrible. Luckily, that wasn't important to me.
Our sliding door did not lock (apparently common)
We were not even given water daily.

Last year we stayed at Las Morlas for the same price and it was WAY better in all respects. I found that it jumped in price this year but now realize why. I'm not necessarily pushing Las Morlas. I'm just saying that the people who give Los Delfines rave reviews may not have stayed at the better but comparably priced resorts.

I hate to sound negative but when a hotel ACCEPTS that they won't provide hot water, I get really shocked and annoyed (yes at 720pp CDN!), When I go camping I expect cold water not at an all inclusive (even a 3 star). And, when you dread getting into bed then things aren't good.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Los Delfines? Share your experiences!