“great resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel
You added Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Las Morlas, Km 18.5 | Punta Hicacos, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Stratford, Prince Edward Island, Canada
“great resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed for a week over Christmas and was quite impressed.The staff were wonderful and made you feel at home. Service was great and I was told before I left not to expect good food, How wrong that was, I found the food fantastic , full of flavour and fresh. I plan on going back there next year and highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: The resort is cozt enough that any room would be an A+ althou our room was located evenly between th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing and trust our hotel to spend your holidays, thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us and recomend our Hotel.
It is a pleasure to know that our personal have contributed to make your trip a great experience. Priority in our hotel is the courtesy, kindness from our staff, improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planing to visit us at Playa Alameda or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have
Kind Regards

Juan Pablo Fortun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Polish first
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a second time in May (I know, I'm a little late).

I really enjoyed my first experience so I stayed here again. What really impressed me the first time was the food, service and hospitality. The staff here work extremely hard and they are the reason why this resort is rated as high as it is.

The rooms are basic but large with a couch and coffee table that make up a sitting area. The fridge, AC, safe, toilet and shower all work fine and the balcony is quite large. Towels, robes, umbrella, basic toiletries, mini bar and maid service are provided.

The beach in Varadero is the best I've ever seen and I've been all over Mexico - soft, white sand and clear, turquoise water. There are plenty of loungers available and the staff are always ready to help you find one if you aren't able to find one. The entertainment and activities are fun and enjoyable but you can find areas for peace and tranquility too.

The pool is smaller but sufficient. There two sides: one for families and the other for adults but it's not a true adult pool as there is no swim-up bar so you won't see any wild parties.

As mentioned before, I found the food to be very good for an all-inclusive resort. There are a lot of items to choose from and many of the meats are cooked right in front of you. The service is fantastic and I really appreciated the conversations I had with the staff. They all work extremely hard but you wouldn't be able to tell by the smiles on their faces.

Estoy muy agradecido por el servicio fantastico de deylis. Me quedare aqui otra vez por parte de ella.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda We would like to thank you for choosing and trust our hotel to spend your holidays, thank you to send us your comments on your experience with us.
It is a pleasure to know that our personal have contributed to make your trip a great experience. Priority in our hotel is the courtesy, amability from our staff, improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction, we have been doing some improvements in our meals at the Buffet and a la carte restaurants you will find them very delightful
Kind Regards

Tecumseh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The staff were very friendly and attentive people. The accommodations were okay but in need of attention. Maintenance and repairs to the facilities were the weaknesses. I had an enjoyable vacation despite these issues. I would definitely try another hotel if I return. If you are an exercise buff the gym facilities lacked.

Room Tip: Check the room before you accept. We changed rooms due to smell. There are a lot of minor flaws an...
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for your review. we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays and We regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel services.

Orangeville, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This was our 3rd trip to Cuba, we returned after having such great experiences at the last 2 resorts. Well, we were severely disappointed with this resort. The Pro's: Lush vegetation, the trees and shrubs are lovely and grounds are well kept. The staff at the Cafe are the best anywhere, friendly and courteous and the coffee at the Cafe is delicious and the Romantico and Don Alfredo restuarants are very good. The Cons: It nees to be updated in every way.The food was not good at all, even by Cuban standards and we both got sick. The bedding isn't changed daily. The pool is freezing, no standard pump in the pool, just drains, missing pool tiles on the bottom so watch where you walk. The coffee in the Buffet is disgusting. There is no rhyme or reason to the line ups at the buffet. The Buffet at New Years was pretty bad, bright lighting and very little effort at presentation. I feel badly complaining, I love Cuba and would return but never to this resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GralManagerAlameda, General Manager at Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest
On a behalf of the staff and management here at Iberostar Playa Alameda we would like to thank you for your review. we appreciate you had chosen our Hotel for your holidays and We regret that you have not fully enjoyed our Hotel services,
We are very sorry about sickness, however this was not caused by the food, In our experience we have witnessed uncountable cases of persons, especially whose metabolism is affected by the change in weather conditions, humidity or the different food ingredients than the ones they are accustomed to, therefore they may suffer unexpected variations in their bodily functions until their bodies settle down into the new conditions.
Our New Year Gala dinner had an excellent selection and variety of food and was very complemented by our guest, we are very sorry you couldn't enjoyed it.
Sheets on beds are changed every other day helping the environment, but if for any reason the guest ask for a change of them the housekeeper will do it immediately.
We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company, A priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction.

Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just returned from a week at the palya alameda. Definitely not a 4 star, maybe a low 3 at the most.

The good stuff first. The weather, ocean, pool and the beach were awesome. Plenty of room and chairs. The staff were excellent. Even the grounds staff went out of their way to be nice. The bars were very good and the wait staff superb. It was very relaxing. They had all the usual beach and pool games, but they weren't pushy, not too loud and it wasn't bothersome. The nightly entertainment was OK, nothing spectacular, except the 2 dudes who did the cirque de soleil routine. They were amazing.

The restaurant was pretty typical for cuba (my 3rd time). None of the food was fabulous, none of it was terrible. The buffet was poorly laid out and there was not a large selection. There was not a significant change in the menu from day to day, so it was getting a bit monotonous by day 7. I managed to find enough food to fill myself at each meal. The wait staff in the restaurant was excellent.

The not so good stuff...The hotel is fairly old and in need of an overhaul. Lots of cracked walls, rusted bolts and paint in need of repair. The first room (ground floor) we were in smelled of mold and/or disinfectant and you could see the water stains on the walls. The front desk got us another room the next morning on the 3rd floor and it was much better. Smelled very clean. The plugs in the sink and tub were broken and the flusher on the toilet broke the 3rd day. Fortunately I figured out how to work the mechanism and they fixed it in a couple of days. The mini bar was poorly stocked (only 2 beers and a couple of pops at a time) and they only re-filled every second day. The maid did a nice job with the towel animals etc and the room was done every day. The worst part was the lack of attention to the garbage on the grounds. It is a beautiful place, but they weren't very diligent about keeping it clean. There were garbage receptacles that were only emptied once, plates and glasses in the lagoon around the buffet, garbage bags left around. Definitely not what I was used to from a major resort. We purchased a half hour computer session and the computer was so slow that I only managed to get on facebook for about 2 min before the time was up.

Their "fitness room" consisted of an old universal type machine, a couple of very cheap benches and some very light dumbells. They did have 2 nice treadmills though.

Anyway, I had a good vacation despite the bad stuff, and I would go back again, just not for the same kind of money we spent.

Room Tip: Stay off the ground floor, mold and smell!!
Dear Guest
I We are truly sorry about any inconveniences you might have had and we regret that this situation might have affected your opinion about our hotel and our company, A priority in our hotel is the improvement of all our services and continuous work to obtain our guest satisfaction, thank you very much for your feedback it will help us to improve. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us at Playa Alameda or any other Iberostar Hotel, It will be a pleasure to have you back and assist you in any request you might have

Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wasn't very pleased with the room. We expected a five star resort (and actually the closest I've been to five star was a 3 star just up the road which I thought was better in most ways) and we got much less. First of all, the resort was a family resort, and very quiet. Often I wondered where everyone was hiding as the bartender tried to convince me there was over 500 people in the resort.

The room air conditioning had a smell to it, and was often very cold. We were on the ground floor, so it wasn't to practical to have the screen door left open while we soaked up the sun.
They took our robes out of the room after our first night.... You can guess that I was obviously very disappointed by this. The lamps would flicker on and off if the bed moved a bit... (too much for youtube?) and the CD player wasn't able to read CD (unfortunately we brought a computer to listen to my boyfriends Dolly Parton CD.)

I had a very hard time arranging a ride to the airport, they had a guest service member that didn't really want to help me out and couldn't understand that I didn't pre arrange a ride to the airport, and normally I just get frustrated with things but kept cool, and figured it out on my own with out yelling at them. There was actually a taxi waiting out side, he wants about 50 cuc, but I got down to 25 cuc. I was originally just going to take the tourist bus into town for 5 cuc, and then it would have been easy to get a taxi for even less.

Bartenders use a cheaper rum while making drinks, but if you ask for Havana Club, you'll get it. Same goes for gin, and vodka, they had good brands, just remember to ask for it.

FOOD is not really expected to be good in Cuba, this is a lie, the resort food is not typically good, this resort did however do fresh omelettes for breakfast, and delicious croissants, and typically had some good sea food done fresh by one of the chefs working (remember to bring a cuc for a tip, they appreciate it and do more work than the servers often).
Travelling the rest of Cuba we found some good food in the newer non government owned establishments. My other lunch favourite was the little Pan Pizzas, sold using the pesos national (not the convertable), for what would equal about 50 cents. I had one with Chorizo on it once and it was delicious! Also you can usually get an espresso coffee for about 1 pesos national (or about 4 cents), which is better than the stuff they serve at starbuks for the most part. You wont find any of this at your resort though. Their pizzas suck.

Oh, and I was really hoping the housekeeping staff to do some towel creatures... all we got was a big bow on the bed, which kind of looked like they didn't bother to make the bed until my partner explained what it was.

I took a video of the room if you want to see what it looked like.

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here December 22-29, 2012 for a family vacation. Trip started with, you guessed it, bad reception. Horrible reception actually. We arrived after dark in a large group with tired children/babies and the reception could barely speak English, gave absolutely no direction as to the location of our room through the dark pathways and were very annoyed when we asked. Food wasn't as bland as others complained. We had brought a bunch of spices and ketchup from a Canadian airport but rarely used them. Not to say the food was wonderful, but you can't expect westernized food in a completely different country. If we stuck to beans and fish it was okay. Hamburgers and steak had an odd flavour. The oranges were green and pineapple white, but tasted good at times. The papaya must have been in season because people tended to eat it the most. And those along with apples and spongy watermelon were the choices. Christmas Eve dinner was nice, they had lobster and they decorated the buffet hall nicer than usual. Don't waste your time going to the a la carte restaurants other than the Italian one. The Romantico one was especially questionable. One of my family members chicken wasn't cooked.

On to our room. Curtains were broken, shower gel dispenser broken, dirty and leaking all over the shower, the room smelled like urine, blood looking stains some of our family's sheets in the same villa, tv didn't work( not that we cared), broken drain in the tub, broken garbage pail and the beds were uncomfortable and springy. Also beware that the staff forget to give you wake up calls when requested. Between our small family of 3 we had almost 30 itchy bug bites from something that must have been residing in our room. Found a cockroach in our bathtub as well. And why wasn't there coffee accompanying the coffee maker in our room?

On a positive note, we were traveling with a 1 1/2 year old and the kids pool and play area is excellent. The water is very shallow and perfect for that age and the little hut beside it has shade but allows a breeze to flow through where there are crayons and little Ikea tables for kids to colour and play with pretend food, etc. The beach also had tons and tons of very neat shells that she enjoyed collecting. And the mini disco is fun for kids. The staff absolutely adore children and I felt very safe with her there.

Mangy cats would wander around the beach food area, which grossed us out a little but not the end of the world. A pool of nasty brown murky water surrounds the buffet and has a bridge over it like it should be beautiful, quite ironic. After a couple days we were too busy to notice the gross things and focused on more important things like enjoying the beach and going on excursions. Leaving the resort and immersing ourselves in real Cuban culture made the trip worthwhile.

Also, I agree with a comment below. The omelet guy from the Buffet is amazing. He can speak so many languages and is very enjoyable to converse with. As were many of the wonderful people working at the resort.

I enjoyed not being asked for a tip. A prior trip to Jamaica made us weary about that sort of thing. But I didn't get asked even once at the resort. If you are going to bring something down to give away be sure to bring diapers. They are very expensive down there. I had left some for our maid at the end of the week because I had extra and I noticed the man helping us with our bags noticed. I asked if he could use them and he kindly mentioned that he had a nephew. He grinned from ear to ear after I gave them to him.

Room Tip: It's a small resort so anywhere is good. Probably stay far from the kid area if you want more a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest
I assure you that if there was a serious stain would be of rust and not blood because we wash our clothes in a laundry outside and it is possible that they can return them to us with a stain,

Juan Pablo Fortun

Been to Iberostar Playa Alameda Hotel? Share your experiences!