“1st time to Cuba” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Breezes Varadero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Breezes Varadero
You added Breezes Varadero to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera de las Americas, Km 3.5, Varadero 42200, Cuba   |
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Varadero
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Laval, Canada
“1st time to Cuba”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is our 1st time to Cuba and I would like to share how great our experience was.
We arrived June 8th and departed June 15th 2013.
The week before we arrived, we were told by staff members and some other guests that it was raining pretty much all the time. Luck was on our side when it came down to the weather. Sunny the whole trip.
I thought there would have been a lot more people but than again, not everyone travels to hot destinations in June.

Seeing there were not a lot of people around some days, it was kinda hard to get people involved but man were the activity people amazing. The energy, the positive attitude, the fun, the joke etc. I can go on and on about them. They were great. I spoke mostly with Ron. I mostly saw 3 people (Ron, another guy and a lady (I feel bad that I forgot there names))

The service was fantastic, the staff are very courteous and extremely nice.
We had a junior suite on the second floor and it was great. We did see a couple of ants here and there but nothing to be alarmed about. I'm sure we see ants at home as well.

No complaints on the sleep quality, we had a King bed and slept like babies once we slept, we moved around a lot and swam a lot so once it was time for bed, we would be out in minutes.

Cleanliness: no complaints on that end either, I never had that feeling or saying to myself anything was dirty or not well cleaned.

Location was great, not a long of a bus ride and the beach was out of this world. Just amazing, speechless.

Rooms were kept well cleaned and our house keeping lady was like a ninja, we never saw her but she did an amazing job on our room every time we got back, it was like "WoW".

Food, I hear a lot of stories on how the food is bad in Cuba so I kept a low expectation but to be honest with you, I thought the food was really good. The only complaint I have on the food part is that the buffet was small, not a lot of varieties but than again, I really enjoyed the food. I'm guessing there will probably be more variety during the peak season.
We went to 2 restaurants on the resort (Italian and Cuban). The food was really good, we ordered a bottle of wine at both restaurants and enjoyed a great evening.
My man Carlos would make us a great burger next to the beach and also another fantastic guy that cut me 2 coconuts. I'm telling you that the staff members are GOLD baby. The ladies at every bar were great and always so nice.

I would like to say too the Management team at Breezes Varadero; The resort was amazing and we had a fantastic time. 2 things in my mind make you a top notch destination in my book and that is the location of your resort and most IMPORTANTLY, every single employee that you have, they are GOLD.

A great great vacation.
John

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed at this resort this past February. I will start with the good stuff. The weather was very nice, and the beach was beautiful. The grounds of this resort are beautiful and very well maintained. The staff at the buffet are amazing, as well as at the front desk (aside from checking in). I found the food quite good, especially the omelettes in the morning. Our room was HUGE (junior suite by the pool), with the main bedroom, another room off to the site with a futon & mini-fridge. A walk out deck with huge french doors, with a view of the beach was the best part! I had heard that it's difficult to make a phone call home, but after requesting a phone call at the front desk I was connected in no time, with no problems.

We arrived with another couple, and when booking requested rooms close to each other. We were put on opposite sites of the resort, and the front desk would not move/change our rooms. They were very rude when we asked.
We did, however, have issues from the first night when it came to animals in the room. We woke up every night to scratching noises, and if we opened our eyes we could see shadows of some sort of creature running around. After we complained, they responded by putting rat poison ALL over the room.
The front lobby bartending staff was horrible to me, too flirty with my husband. I couldn't get a drink (even though I was the one with the money and tipping), but he could no problems. Very unprofessional.
The week we were there, 90% of fellow vacationers were 65+. Lots of weird looks when we were trying to party it up.
The disco is dead at night, so the only place to go is into the hotel lobby to sing by the piano. Fun if you want a quiet night, not so fun when you want to have drinks/listen to music.

Room Tip: We didn't stay by the disco, but talked to others that did and they didn't recommend staying...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BVRA, Manager at Breezes Varadero, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your positive comments on our resort as well as the negative ones, as they are taken as an opportunity to improve the hotel’s services and facilities.
We regret that your experience with our front desk was not as expected. Please, be aware that on February, was high season,our resort was full and the requests are always subject to the hotel availability.
As per the issues with the animals in the room, we have a contract with a pest control company but as we are in a tropical country it is almost impossible to control them a 100%.
Once again we appreciate your comments and will keep working to give our clients the highest level of satisfaction.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I Traveled here the first week of June with a bunch of friends and had a blast. With any resort, they have their pros and cons; but Breezes pros outweighed the cons by far.

First off, the landscape was kept in tip top condition with people working on it daily.

Room: We had a junior suite which was in the same building as the disco. The room was spacious and in good condition. It had a musty smell to it but that was not a big deal to us. The A/C was top notch, our room was frigid and stayed significantly cooler than the rooms by the pool. You can hear the disco faintly at night time but it isn't too bad. Stay away from this building if you're looking for peace and quite. Bathroom was good... always had hot water and it was clean.

Food: We knew before coming that the food is usually average in Cuba. Needless to say, it was very mediocre. The buffet dinners were somewhat repetitive but had many options. There were birds pecking at the bread, but it is an open concept building. The bread was actually really good and they had many different types. The servers were delightful and always in good spirits to serve us. As for lunch, we mostly stuck to grabbing burgers/hotdogs/pizza from the beach grill. One thing that really bothered us was that we had 4 a la carte dinners in our vacation package only to show up to book them and get two. That frustrated us since it was better food and the less buffet dinners you have, the better. Humberto the omelette chef in the AM is a character - awesome guy. His sister (Elizabetha) is great as well; she usually worked the grill by the beach.

Bars: We stuck mainly to the pool bar and the lobby bar. Both had excellent service, all of whom were usually in good spirits. Drinks were good and consistent throughout the trip. The mixed drinks are very sweet and sugary. If that is a concern to you then just ask for a less sugary/sweet drink, they should understand.

Disco: Awesome set up in there. The DJ took song requests all night and the bar tender is a gem. There were nights when it wasn't very busy. If you do go, no one will be there at 10:30pm when it opens. Go at 11:30-12:00. The variety of music varies which was good. The only downer is that it usually closed at 1:45am. Would be better if it stayed open later.

The Pool: Didn't really use the pool since we were always at the beach. It is good size and most of the activities were run around it. There is no swim up bar but there is a bar literally right next to the pool.

The Beach: Unbelievable beach... White sand and warm water. The first couple of days there was hardly any waves at all. It got choppier towards the end but that made it funner. Lots of lounge chairs but try to grab a hut with padded beds. They were more comfortable than the beds in our room and shaded so you don't overheat on those hot days. Security is constantly on the beach watching over everyone. Water was good temp, we guessed around 80 degrees.

What really made our trip was Yiovonne, Tony (Antonio) and Joe. They organized all of the activities on the resort and made it so much more fun to be there. We made up a baseball type game on the beach with a stick and tennis ball. We also played a fair amount of volleyball games. Everyone wanted to play which was great. It got everyone on the resort involved and made for meeting a lot of great people and now friends. Big props to these guys as they work long hours and always do their best to make sure everyone is having fun. **** If you're looking for nearby nightlife, make sure to ask these guys and they will tell you where to go and which night **** Havana Club was a ton of fun on a Sunday night. I also heard Continental was good as well. Keep in mind you will need to cab there (5-7 peso's each way) and usually 5 or 10 peso cover. Drinks start at $3.50 and go up from there. Be careful, it is off of resort property; people will be trying to sell you all types of illegal things - not a good idea.

The Shows at night were fantastic. Most nights involved professional dancers; they were very good. They also involved the visitors by bringing them up on stage for singing and dancing competitions which were very entertaining. The winner usually got a bottle of rum or money for casino night.

The games room had ping pong, chess, checkers, darts and pool. There was rarely anyone in there. Good way to have fun and kill time if the weather is poor.

Be aware that June is hurricane season so don't expect top notch weather. We didn't see the sun until 4 days into our trip.

Overall we had a phenomenal time. Made a ton of new friends! I would recommend this resort to anyone looking to have fun but also relax and enjoy themselves.

Tips: Bring a bubba for drinks, baseball gloves to play catch - they all love it there. Hats to give away, there are a lot of Bluejay fans that work on the resort. Don't eat the cheese !!! Snacks are in the lobby throughout the day. Maybe a beach towel - you are charged a 25 dollar fee if you lose the one given to you. Cigars are very overpriced in the shop, go to Plaza America (5 peso cab) down the street or buy at duty free.

Room Tip: Junior suites are spacious and A/C is amazing. You will hear the disco faintly at night though.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank for taking the time to send us your valuable comments regarding your stay in our resort.
We are working on the issues reported by you to increase our customer´s satisfaction.
We are glad to hear that you had a good time. We are looking forward to welcoming you in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I just got back yesterday from 7 days at this resort.

We were in block E, room 237. We were supposed to be in the regular hotel portion of the resort but were upgraded upon arrival. The room was huge. We had a sitting room, and and extra room that had a door, so we used it as a changing room. There was a fridge and couch in this room. The room was nothing spectacular, but was slightly better than I had expected.

The beach is nice, but after traveling the world I have definitely seen better. It's not pristine at all. There is trash, including cigarette butts and other things and it's not highly organized. The chairs and cabanas definitely could be better.

The bars were OK, and as with other reviewers, there was no consistency with the way they were made. They OFTEN ran out of mint so there were no mojitos... They also ran out of everyone's preferred beer severall times.

As for the food, I wouldn't say it is bland... I'm sure it is if you only ate the potatoes and rice, but the meat options were very flavorful. Don't expect to get a proper salad here (or anywhere in Cuba). The desserts are tasty but it is very true that they serve the same things over and over again... Both my friend and I (and EVERYONE we talked to) ended up with an icky tummy at least one day during their stay. It's not fun at all. My theory for this is that the resort was at 1/3 of capacity and there was not a fast enough turn around of the food so it sat out too long. As for the a la cartes were also pretty lame. We were told that we would be getting 4 a la cartes through the Nolitours plus package and we were offered only 3. 10 minutes later we were told that Los Bohios (the BBQ by the beach) was closed. So we only got 2 a la cartes. The same day we walked by Los Bohios and they were setting it up for dinner! The waiter that we had the night before was there and he told us it was really slow so we could come that night and he'd let us eat there without a reservation. Um, what? It actually wasn't closed... That night only 2 tables were full. Such a disorganized hotel. I guess it was for the best thought because this is the meal that made me throw up...

If you come during rainy season, you will not be doing any of the activities that involve water. There is nothing going on in the pool (aquafit, scuba lessons etc) or any of the ocean activities. no kayaking, no snorkeling, no sailing. Nada. This was a HUGE downfall for me in regards to the resort. I was so excited to come here and do all of these activities and there ended up being literally nothing to do except some silly poolside competitions. I was so bored that I went in to Havana 3 times during my stay here.

There is nothing about this hotel that would bring me back. It was my first and last all inclusive for sure.

Room Tip: Tell them you do NOT want to be in the main hotel. It is loud and musty.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments about our resort on this website. We appreciate you have taking the time to express your opinion about our services and we regret the ones that did not fulfill your expectations. We are working on increasing the supervision to better the cleaning and organization of the beach in conjunction with the local authorities. The hotel has 3 a la carte restaurants and we try to guarantee at least one reservation in each per week. Unfortunately we are currently on the rainy season and some services are subject to the weather conditions however we will continue doing our utmost to minimize the inconveniences. Thank you once again for these comments that will be taken as an opportunity to give our clients the best service.
Hamilton, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This place wasnt bad, especially considering i went with friends over reading week and we were looking to pay as little at possible. It was honestly the worst food ive ever had in my entire life.
The beach wasnt bad though and the staff were actually pretty great.

The rooms are typical for cuba

Room Tip: ask them to put you in a room that there arent a lot of othe rpeople around if you are looking for a...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your comments on our resort. We are very concerned about customer satisfaction; therefore, all comments are taken as an opportunity to improve the hotel’s services and facilities. We regret that the food provided was not up to your levels of expectations; we will continue working on it with the products available in the market.
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed here last June with my boyfriend. Let me start off by saying we are both seasoned travelers (various types of trips, Europe + different all inclusive’s in different countries). After having read many reviews we had decided to choose this hotel, boy was this a let-down! Yes we had bad weather when we were there, which certainly put a damper on things, but the major hiccups with the hotel added to our aggravation. I will apologize for the length of this review now!

The Beach: all though the water was a little choppy when we got there I must say the beach was wonderful! This resort has a large beach area and we never had any problems finding shaded area. That being said the water activity centre is not centrally located and there is no bar right on the beach. We always travel with bubba mugs so it’s not a big deal but could get annoying should you not.

The food: besides breakfast we mostly lived off the food at the snack bar (good pizza!). I have a severe seafood allergy and nothing at the buffet was labeled to identify what you are eating. Birds would also fly in and pick at the food at the buffet which is highly un-hygienic. None of the staff seemed to care. It took a very long time to get any sort of drink and often tables would not be cleaned off for a long period of time causing not having any tables for guests (and this was off season). They also often ran out of utensils. The a la cartes were nothing spectacular either. (but this is Cuba and we know not to go there for the food) There was issues in one of the a la cartes with water entering as it was raining.

The drinks: loved the fact that they had champagne but they ran out of it twice (maybe we were just drinking too much of it). Drinks were not very consistent in terms of taste (some bartenders did not know how to make mojitos) but I must say the lobby bar had some of the best drinks! Some of the best mojito I have ever had and the staff there was the friendless!

Pool: there is only one pool and it could use a face lift but it was ok (no swim up bar but there is a bar right there)

Disco: it was alright but most people went to party off the resort or we would all meet up at the lobby bar.

Now this is where my review gets very negative and what made us hate this resort. The Rooms: the rooms themselves are nothing spectacular but they did the trick – everything you need is there. We were on the lower floor of a 2 story building. My real issue was with the water entering the room when it rained. Let me start off by saying we had to move rooms 3 times due to this issue. Our first room we got was right next to the pool which was great until a worker went on the roof to “fix” something, which proceeded in flooding our room. My boyfriend happened to be in the room at the time and he almost got electrocuted due to the fact that there was water up to about 2 feet high. Thankfully he managed to pull up most of our things that were on the floor. The only thing that got ruined was my shoes and a few books. We immediately contacted front desk to alert them of what had happened and it took a long time for them to send someone over. I proceeded to get a mop from a maid and pushed all the water out. Finally someone came and helped when they saw me doing the work. From this point front desk moved us to the golden section (in which we should have been in the beginning). This room smelt like sewer (this was not the typical humid smell resorts typically have). The next day they moved us to another room. This room looked the same as the previous one we had, which was fine. Upon entering we noticed that the floors were damped a little so we decided to put extra towels on the floor where the patio door was as the floor on the patio seemed to slope towards the inside of the room and there was about ½ inch under the door, which would allow water to enter. When we came back to our room later the maids that had come and cleaned our room removed the towels and during a downfall water entered our room. You would think for a country that has rainy seasons with major downfalls they would have a better system of keeping the rain out of the rooms. We managed to talk to management regarding our issues. After much arguing with them they finally gave us some form of compensation for the damage done to our belongings. I must say that at no point I felt like they were apologetic or sincere. These are obviously problems that reoccur as it happened to us in more than one room and other guests we spoke to were also having the same issues, but it felt like the management did not care. The manager was very rude with me and kept making excuses for the situation instead of fixing the situation.

I will NEVER go back to this resort and I highly recommend you avoid it during rainy season. If you do decide to go I would suggest you don’t leave anything on the floor as rain can easily enter the room.

I hope this review was helpful and hopefully save someone from having a disastrous holiday like we had.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was my fourth time in Cuba but my first time at Breezes. I was travelling between February 25 and March 03 with three buddies as we were celebrating a guy's week down south. I kind of took charge of travel arrangments since I'd been to Cuba before. I narrowed my list of resorts down to 4 or 5 that I was keeping an eye and chose Breezes based on price point.

Check-in was swift but because only one room of the two was ready, we put all our luggage in one room and headed off to the buffet for lunch. Within 90 mins the second room was ready. We had two rooms in the first building to the left of the lobby. The rooms were very clean and spacious. We were far enough away that we didn't notice any noise from the lobby.

I've stayed in Varadero and Holguin before and the beach at Breezes is fantastic! The beach is very wide with lots of loungers as we never had an issue getting a good spot no matter what time of day we got there. The beach bar is close and the beach grill beside it serves up great hamburgers and pizza. We only ate lunch at the buffet a couple times during the week.

The buffet served up a great breakfast and was never crowded at all. As at most Cuban resorts, the omelette station was very popular but we never had to wait more than a few minutes.

Dinner was okay. There is a lot of repetition and it would be good if there was a larger grill area. I stayed at a 4 star in Holguin that had a large grill area and you could get fresh fish, chicken, beef grilled to order every night. At Breezes there was only one night where some chicken was being grilled.

There are plenty of bars on the resort but we frequented the pool bar and lobby bar exclusively. The lobby bar was very popular and if you were hungry late at night you could get a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.

All the staff from the maids to the front desk to the servers were very friendly and I was greeted with a smile time every time.

The one negative was when a large group of us left the lobby bar late and headed to the disco. We got there to find the place empty so we thought we would liven it up with about 15 of us. But right away, the person in charge said he was only going to play music for 20 minutes and then shut it down. This was about 1:30AM and I had read on Trip Advisor that the disco would go until 4AM if there was people there. Sure enough, 20 minutes later as people were having a great time dancing, the music went off and the lights went up. Back to the lobby bar we went.

All in all we were very happy with the resort and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Breezes Varadero? Share your experiences!