“I like Cuba, not the resort..” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Breezes Varadero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Breezes Varadero
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera de las Americas, Km 3.5, Varadero 42200, Cuba   |
Ranked #14 of 58 hotels in Varadero
Montreal, Canada
“I like Cuba, not the resort..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

This was my first time in Cuba and i absolutely fell in love with the people in and out of the resort.

The good:

1- Management and staff were excellent. Everybody there was able to put a smile on your face and make you feel like your at home away from home.

2- The day time entertainers were always there to lift the crowd and keep you laughing.

3- Downtown varadero was fun, haggling in the local markets was great and eventful.

4- The beach was spectacular, this is by far the best part of the trip.

5- Our garden view hotel room was clean and spacious.

6- The burger shack right before the beach was the only place that served edible food. Hot dogs, pizza and hamburgers were good!

The bad:

1- The resort was somewhat out dated and badly maintained. The jacuzzi didn't work at all, water was always cold and dirty. The pool sides, jacuzzis and walkways were chipped and cracked and the place didn't have a neat and tidy look to it at all.

2- The pool was not heated (or the heater was broken), was was extremely cold.

3- The nightlife in this resort is similar to one at your local retirement home. Lets just say that this resort isn't fit for the young couples. It is better fitted for children and families or seniors.

4- The buffet was really distasteful. No variety and just bad.

5- Lobster night - they ran out of lobsters and started cutting them in half in attempt to distribute some lobster to everybody. Many people didn't even get to eat lobster.

6- A la carte - was not good. I dont even remember what I ate, which is not a good sign.

Overall: I may seem over critical, but thats because I am. I feel that being critical will help you make a sensible decision. Overall this isn't a bad resort. You get less than what you pay for but the beach location is second to none in varadero.

The people that work here will have you wanting to come back despite the maintenance issues. A decent stay if you just want to relax and enjoy the beach and people.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

1,534 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Charlottetown, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

My partner and I have just returned from Breezes Varadero March 16-23rd.

Just to note... we are a couple in our 30's who are easy to please and it is our 7th trip to cuba and have had wonderful experiences up until this trip. We stay in a usual range of 3 star to 5 star hotels.

We arrived close to midnight on Friday the 16th. Check in was very speedy and smooth. We arrived to our building and had a second floor room. The room (617) on first glance looked lovely however when we got in and had a look discovered that there was a generous amount of mold around the air conditioner and ceiling. The bathroom was not clean. There were still shards of toilet paper on the floor. The balcony was peppered in a "black like substance" (not going to say what it reminded us of ), and the room was very warm despite the airconditioner being on for some time.

We decided that despite our exhaustion that we would walk back to front desk to see if there was an alternative room for the night. The receptionist didn't give us any options to move at first however when I insisted that I was not sleeping in mold she told us we could move to the room across the hall (618). We agreed to do so.

We had a look at the second room which must have been used as a courtesy room the same day for another guest because the bed was not made and the bathroom had been gently used. We opted to sleep in the already slept in bed and gladly took the change in rooms. There was NO offer by the front desk to have someone come up and change the bed sheets!!!! At this point we didn't care we were much too tired.

The buffet was good. The food is standard for cuba. Andy makes a great omlette. We had absolutely no problem finding anything to eat at the buffet or the beach grill. Noel at the beach makes a really great hamburger or hot dog. The drinks are great. Pina Coladas yummy.

The beach is 5/5. We spent most of our days here and had an amazing time. The water was warm, chairs were fine and the drinks were cold.

The pool was fun. We would make our way there at around 3pm and the entertainment team usually had games and activities for the guests for an hour or so which were a lot of fun.

We dined at the Beach Grill on Saturday the 17th and while we were seated awaiting our meals a rat came over the side of the balcony onto a nearby table. Guests that were seated close were luckily able to scare it away and off of the table without too much of a commotion. This completely ruined our meals. We realize that rodents are probably a part of life given the environment the resort sits on......however the worst part is that the staff there did not change the table linens on the table or attempt to clean off the table. They proceeded to seat unsuspecting guests at the same spot. (Totally gross!!). We opted to leave.

We also dined at the Cuban and Italian resteraunts and they were great. Service at the a la cart resteraunts was very good. Angel did a great job of taking care of us at the Italian. Very professional.

On Sunday the 18th we were having drinks in the lobby bar of the hotel.My partner ordered a cervesa and a pina colada from the bardender and when he recieved the drinks he said thank you. I guess the bartender didn't hear him say thank you because she continued to sarcasticly say to him ...."ummm thank you". My partner again said thank you and she looked at him again and very rudely echoed "ummm thank you". At this point he was stunned. The whole interaction was witnessed by 2 others and they were stunned. It made everyone very uncomfortable and most everyone left the lobby bar at this time. We did not drink in the lobby bar again for the duration of our trip.

I have never in my 7 trips to cuba encountered such RUDENESS by staff at any resort. .

The following day we talked to our Nolitour Rep to tell her about all of the incidents. She then put us in touch with a Customer Service Rep Lizbeth. She took our information and told us if there was anything else she could do for us to let her know. She reiterated that due to the rat incident that she would accomidate us to any of the a la carts if we wanted.

On Thursday the 22nd we tried to talk to Lizbeth to see if we could go to the Italian Resteraunt that night but she was not in that day. We were then put in touch with her replacement Eduardo. Eduardo told us there was no availability that night but he would see what he could do. He said he would call us in our Room at 6:30 pm to let us know for sure. That call NEVER came....

We made the best of our trip and had a great time! We were just astonished by the lack of respect at this resort. We can't understand why staff were sooo rude and our concerns were not taken seriously. We tipped very well and brought lots of gifts for everyone.

We will not be recommending this resort to friends.

Room Tip: There isn't really a bad room at this resort. Everything is within walking distance and close.
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Breezes, Varadero Cuba from March 20th-27, 2012.
We had an enjoyable time there but in no hurry to go back anytime soon.
When arriving at the resort lobby, I was surprised at how small it was as is the entire resort.
Now when I say small, I don't mean it negatively. Its just the right size for getting to where you want to go in 32 degree celcius heat!! the weather cooperated perfectly!! Our room was in a suite next to the pool area. Very clean and spacious. Air conditionlng worked great which was a huge plus. the bed was hard as a rock but we still slept fine anyway. We had an ocean view room but could only see a small portion of ocean through the trees. The balcony was really nice and the room had three patio doors. Two at the balcony and one facing the other buildings. there was light coming throught the room all day. Very nice! The staff at the resort need to improve their people skills. While most were somewhat friendly, others were rude. The worst were at the lobby bar! We travelled with eight other people and they all felt the same. the servers at the buffet were nice and the nicest was a lady named Gladys! The food was ok but no variety and the same food every day! We didn't starve though! The entertainment around the pool ( there is only one there) was ok and its great to take part and have some fun. The entertainment for the evening is in the buffet area. There is no theatre on this resort. The evening entertainment is not good at all. There is a nice disco there but you might have to start the dancing to get the rest of the vacationers to take part. There is NO swim up bar but a bar right next to the pool. Behind the bar is the buffet. Behind the buffet is the grill, a bar and a little shopping centre. Best of all, behind the grill and beach bar is the most amazing beach!!!! All in all Breezes Varadero is a good resort. It has an older but charming feeling to it and it doesn't take long to feel at home. More variety in food, friendlier bartenders and better evening entertainment would make it an excellent resort! My favorite is still Gran Bahia Principe, Mayan Riviera Mexico!

Room Tip: stay in a suite, not the large building! The large building is older, smelly and has the disco in it...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dawson Creek, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

having been to cuba many times, i wanted to see what a fully communist owned property would be like in cuba.. before committing to this property, i read many of the reviews on this site. these reviews veried greatly, hence my turn..march 19-26th/2012
if you have a harkening back to the good ol' days then this resort is for you..this resort and its design gives a person a feeling of the colonial days with its arched doorways and old wood finishings as well as furntiture...this landscaping is impeccable and i have to tip my hat to the gardening crew...
now, with the old days in mind during food shortages, they did not miss that aspect at the buffet which was lacking...a trip to the buffet was groundhog day everyday...i knew where everything was the next day..it was 95% the same everyday and not a lot of variety...the ala cartes??..well, at "martinos" the italian resturant...i ordered the (sirlioin?) steaks...if i came across that butcher who did this cut..i would use it to slap him across the side of his head with it..he cut the steak with the grain rather than against the grain making it one of the toughest steaks i have ever had...jaws got a good workout though.. the next ala carte "majitos" a cuban/mexican fusion type resturant was slightly better offering duck breast which they had none of that evening...oh yeah no chicken that night as well..so i had the fish which actually was alright...
the rooms....what can i say...beds were firm..normal for cuba which i do not mind..they were cleaned everyday..i did have to wipe the termites off the bathroom counter during the evenings though..they are everywhere in the caribbean by the way..woke up at 5 am one morning hearing water dripping...thought it was the toilet so i got up to fix it..it actually was water running from the ceiling, down the mirror onto the bathroom counter..threw a towel on the counter to muffle the sound and moved the wifes stuff to the other end of counter..called front desk in the morning to report problem..
many return clients there coming back mutiple times?? i guess they like the old school feel there. so there is my 2 bits on this trip.if you want something different then this resort is for you..great beach..hardworking staff..3 star actually..bring aa batteries/ban aids for this resort if you go.and enjoy kenny g music.if you want the same ol'.and listen to the black eyed peas...go to the private partner resorts...

Room Tip: main building where the jr suites are..avoid..you can hear the disco on the bottom floor
pei
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

We traveled to Breezes in the middle of March . We went with Air Transat . We stayed in the main building right beside Tuxpan resort and where the disco is located. We were on the third floor in room 703 which is the far end of the building from the beach . The bed was fine .The room was cleaned great every day and we did not encounter and bugs all week. We did have some minor issues in the room that never did get fixed . My wife complained about the hair dryer as it would only work for about 30 sec and stop , wait a while and it would start again. The ac kept the room cool enough but the room had a musty smell all week . We reported both of these but neither got fixed when we were there. This building needs to renovated to get it up to the same standards as the rest of the resort . All the bars are great including the coffee bar . We only ate at the buffet and the beach grill. We always found something to eat. The service at the buffet and Noel at the beach grill is where the resort shines . These people are GREAT. Some of the entertainment staff are good but most are more interested in the young females than doing there job . It is not hard to see this only after a couple of days of sitting on the beach. This did not hinder my stay any as we are there to relax , the sun and the beach. We went on a Jeep Safari trip and it was good . It starts out as taking the jeep rig around some back roads and some paved roads to a river where you go on a speed boat ride down a river .You then get to see a native dance . They also offer some food there if you want it. From there you go to Playa Coral beach for snorkling . This was not very good , rough water and not organized very well by the two guys in the water looking after 40 to 50 people . We then went to a cave with a pool at the bottom of it. This was WOW AMAZING. From there we went to a ranch to eat , go horseback riding and a little tour of the grounds . This was fine .Lunch was not served until 2:30 . Back to Varadero . This was a full day tour which cost 93 . It was so worth it . We went into Varadero one day on the DD bus and got a few things from the market. Went to Jonse Park and had a awesome pina colata . We ate at the Italian restraunt in the park and it was great. That about does it for the week . If you want great service from nice people with ok food , super beach but with rooms the are in need of help if in the main building then this resort is it. This resort with a little bit more could be great , so Mr manger if you read this check out room 703 , fix the hair dryer and the AC smell . peace out .

Room Tip: upgrade to a rentovated room , you won't be disapponited.
Kingsville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

This was my first time in Cuba and I had an excellent time. The staff at Breezes Veradero are friendly,considerate and helpful. I had the unfortuate experience of losing my passport and the manager, Elizabeth was EXCELLENT in helping me out!!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU. The hotel itself is clean and well kept. The grounds are spectacular... I cannot say enough about the gardens, just breath-taking. And ocean front- wonderful; clean. I felt safe all the time. The food was great!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Montreal Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

My wife and I just came back from the Breezes Varadero, if you are looking for a superb well design hotel room and fantastic restaurants and food don't go there....In my book this is a 3 star hotel, in a great location Varadero beach, great beach and a lots of sun.

Overall, it was OK but not my taste for the future, I went there part of a group of friend but for a trip less than $1000 per person flight-hotel-food-drinks and golf this is what to expect and this is what I got.....forget the wow! with the exception of the beach and resort is not bad either

The Cuban are very nice and friendly but it is a communist country and they lack of many things but they are very happy people and they like their country.

Lower your expectations and your trip will be fantastic

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Breezes Varadero? Share your experiences!