“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Las Antillas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Las Antillas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Autopista Sur, Carretera Las Morlas, Km 14, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #18 of 58 hotels in Varadero
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This resort it's fantastic! I went with my bf in our very first trip together. We were looking for a resort were we could relax but also enjoy our vacations. Melia las Antillas was definitely the resort we were looking for. During the day you get to relax in the pool, that has many water games and also on the Jacuzzi. At night you get to see all the shows and the recreation people are fantastic. The buffet food it's ok but if you get the opportunity to book a restaurant in the hotel I would hardly recommend El Romantico Restaurant. If you are looking for a night out always ask the recreation crew as they know where the party it's at. We upgrade our room to the ocean view on the fifth floor (I recommend the upgrade as the other rooms have no elevators) we had a concierge that would do all the restaurant reservations and we had all day food in the concierge room. In another hand staffs are amazingly friendly and the resort it's very clean. I hardly recommend this resort!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your first trip with your bf.
We are glad to know that we fulfilled your expectations and we appreciate all your complimentary comments about all the services we offer in the hotel. Thanks for highlight the kindness of the staff and for recommend the Junior Suite Superior Ocean View Rooms.
By the way, very good pictures!
Thank you for recommending us, and we hope to see you soon among us.

2,169 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Laval, Quebec, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is our 5th time to the Melia. We always go at the end of April , the weather is great. We are satisfied every time we go, the staff is the best, after 5 times we know mostly all of them personnally, we feel at home with most of them. It is an adult resort which is great, it is a good place to relax. The food is good for Cuba, lots of variety at the buffet and the a la carte restaurants. Our favorite is the italian , for lunch and also for supper, the personnel at lunch Inelys is the best and in the evening, Mila and all the others also. It is a resort which needs to be updated especially the rooms but they are getting there. We are going back next April with our 4 children and their spouse it should be great! Lastly the beach is the nicest in Cuba.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
We appreciate you always choose our hotel for your holidays. 5th time!!, wonderful.
Thank you for all the positive comments and for referring our staff. We are happy to know they made the difference.
It will be a pleasure to meet you the next April with the rest of your family, and please feel free to contact us anytime.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

First time in Cuba and I was absolutely blown away. The beach was 5 star plus. The food selections were excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 a la carte meals. Don Pepperone was my absolute favourite. The daily buffets were great. Stick with what works, fresh local breads and cheeses, fresh fruit and veg. Daily omlet and pasta at breakfast and lunch. BBQ pork was amazing, as were rice, beans and other traditional Cuban fare. Staff were fantastic! People that made my holiday special included Enrique (beach service), Norberto (Beach BBQ), Pedro and all the fantastic wait staff at Don Pepperone, Chino, Alberto, Yunisky and Mayrelis(I'm sure I spelled that wrong). I would recommend Las Antillas without reservation, I'll be going back soon!! :)

Room Tip: Junior Suite all the way!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear guest,
We are very glad too, you picked Meliá Las Antillas for your first trip to Cuba and to know you had a magical vacation with us. It is great you enjoyed our food offer in the 4 restaurants.
Thanks for your recognition to the staff and for mention some of them that made your holiday very special. I´m sure they will be expecting you for the next time.
Do not hesitate in contacting us for the second time.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I went with my husband's niece, who was visiting us in Toronto from Hungary, to the Melia Las Antillas for one week from September 12th to the 19th, 2013. We had great cooperation from all the staff, especially Kandy in Guest Relations, and Tete, the concierge. Our oceanview room was on the fifth floor, our bar and water were restocked regularly, the safe was a great help, the air conditioner worked well, and the TV had lots of channels available. (I even got to see Lisa on the 11:00 p.m. CTV news!)

As for the food - I have told all my friends about the sweetest, most delicious shrimps I have ever eaten - plain, grilled, it didn't matter. They were terrific! And the breads and rolls! And the butter (from Germany)! And the chocolate ice cream! And the soursop ice cream! And the baked desserts!

Of course, the pool was great, as was the ocean. Everybody always talks about the beautiful beaches in Varadero, and they are telling the truth.

My only complaint was about the lift, which seemed to break down rather often. But the problems were resolved quickly every time, so as long as we were patient, we managed. (I would not have been able to use the stairs, and, fortunately, I did not have to.)

Thanks to all the staff in the buffet and the other restaurants, to the bartenders who made great San Franciscos and hot chocolate, to the maids and all the workers who kept everything as clean and neat as possible!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing our Hotel, the Meliá Las Antillas for your recent stay in Varadero.
It is good to know you enjoyed all the facilities we provided at the ocean view rooms and the special attention and professionalism of Kandy and Tete. Thanks for all your positive comments about the food in the buffet restaurant. We are glad to know you liked specially the deserts.
Thanks for being part of our big family and please feel free to contact us for the second time.
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was the first time that my husband and I visited Cuba. It was our first time also at an adults (16yr +) only resort and we loved that feature as we were not traveling with our children. The weather was great sunny and warm. It rained only once and it was in the evening. I had heard that the food was not bland, however this was not to be. There was plenty of food and it was wonderful. Every lunch and dinner there was always fresh meat or poultry or fish o be grilled plenty of vegetables fruits desserts (even a chocolate fountain) on a couple of occasions. One night there was even a pig roast. Did not lack for food at all and if you require something different because of allergy or just dislike they were only too willing to accommodate. The service was impeccable, always there to go the extra mile. I fell and hurt my back and could not find any pain reliever they gave me from their own supply enough to keep me comfortable until our return home. I cannot say enough about this resort. If I was to return to Cuba I would stay here again without question.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,
We are deeply pleased that you have come to Melia Las Antillas in your first trip to Cuba and that you have encountered our services absolutely excellent. We are pleased to know you enjoyed the adults only concept. Thank you for your recommendation about the food in the buffet restaurant and for your comments about the staff,
We look forward to welcome you soon again.
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Melia las Antilles at the end of May 2013 to beginning of June. We were there for my birthday and our anniversary. I emailed ahead and let them know about these 2 events and they arranged for us to have an a la carte booked for those 2 nights. Candy was wonderful and the maître de in the Romantico was also great. They made a special cake for me for my birthday and sang to me. Very nice evening. The food in the buffet was some of the best food I have had in Cuba (I have visited Cuba 8 times). The spaghetti we had there one night was the best I ever ate anywhere. The rooms were also quite nice. The only thing I found that was lacking somewhat was the daily activities but we had a restful vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing our Hotel, the Meliá Las Antillas for this special occasion.
We are delighted to know that you enjoyed a very nice birthday evening in the Romantic restaurant. Thanks for all your positive comments, especially the ones referring the kindness of our staff.
We are sure we will able to see you again in Melia Las Antillas and please feel free to contact us directly.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My Grandmother and I stayed at the Melia from Sept 6th-13th. It was our first time in Cuba and there is one thing that really made this vacation amazing: The People. Every single person who worked in the hotel, the excursions, and the people I met in Varadero, and Havana were amazing. Friendly, outgoing, and all around positive.

The Hotel: Could use a little updating and general maintenance. We were originally put in a room on the same level as the lobby (2nd Floor) and all the amenities are on a floor below. My grandmother has trouble with stairs and I chose this hotel because it had an elevator. The elevators are very outdated and broke down constantly. Luckily we met some awesome Torontonians who suggested moving to the bungalows. I asked the front desk and was really pleased to get a ground floor right near the restaurants and pool. The hotel is laid out great and there isn't much walking from one amenity to another. There is a lagoon going around the property which smells quite off putting and I believe helps with the breeding of the mosquitos which can get quite nasty.

The Room: Pretty standard. I thought it was quite clean and really did enjoy our maid Betsy - very friendly and did a great job. The one downside with the room: Shower. It is tiny and the shower curtain sticks to you constantly. I did not have an ant problem or bug problem. The room had a self adjusting air conditioner which was nice. There is also a sitting area. The sheets got really gross smelling near the 4th day which has a lot to do with the humidity and we got them changed when we asked. All in all a pretty standard room with no big complaints.

The Pool: Really nice and big - not a lot of seating so I found it hard to find a shady spot.

The Bars: Awesome. All the staff were really attentive and the drinks kept flowing. Only downside - they don't offer all the cocktails at all the bar locations. Mojitos were sometimes offered by the beach, not the pool and the lobby bar is just too out of the way.

The Beach: Amazing: Went down super early to get a spot and was rewarded with seeing dolphins on my last day :) The beach has a pretty steep drop into the water which was hard on my grandmother. Other than that really pretty.

The Food: For all the reviews on how terrible the food is in Cuba I was quite suprised. I really didn't have an issue with the food at all. Of course it wasn't fantastic but it was definitely great to not have to cook :) The al la carte restaurant I tried wasn't good at all and I found that the buffet was the safer bet.

The Staff: Amazing. A few shout outs to: Javier in the buffet area - he was super attentive and very sweet. Claudia was our dinner waitress and she was very funny. Ricardo did the pasta station and was really attentive and was very interesting to talk to. Betsy our maid was super friendly and helped me with my spanish. The entertainment crew were great and really tried to include everyone in the fun and games. Honestly - some of the most amazing people I have ever met.

Overall for what I have read on Cuba this hotel seems to be very good. Not amazing, and could definitely use some work but you won't be uncomfortable at all staying here. Will definitely enjoy the weather and the people :)

Room Tip: Bungalows over the building.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Fabrizio T, Director General at Melia Las Antillas, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear guest,
I wish to thank you for so nice review. We are very glad and feel in your words, that you enjoyed a wonderful stay with your Grandmother in Meliá Las Antillas.
Thanks to provide details about all the facilities you enjoyed and for all the tips.
It is great to know you remember so many names of our staff. We are definitely going to congratulate them in your behalf.
We will waiting for you for the next time and please feel free to contact us directly.
Fabrizio Testoni

Been to Melia Las Antillas? Share your experiences!