“wouldent go back .” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas
You added Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Calle 64 e/ 1ra Ave y Autopista, Varadero, Cuba (Formerly Barcelo Solymar)   |
Ranked #25 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Wallaceburg, Canada
“wouldent go back .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Food sucked . reservations always givin to the returning clientel . drincks taste like they stomped on the fruit with dirty feet . smelt like sewer . room was ok tho no comppaints there but dont dare to take the elevator . it shuts so quickly that u have no yime to just step in . it literally slamed on my mothers sholders and didnt want to open . also another time stopped betweeen two floors for five mins at a time while power went out for long period of time . dissapointed and beach was far away .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all the staff and my own I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay.
I can guarantee that the hotel staff is taking care of good practice for the preparation of products for customers.
I can assure you that our only goal is to ensure the satisfaction of our customers and we continue to work so that incidents do not recur.
Kinds Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at Arenas Blancas and, upon going in my hotel room, the floor was flooded. The maid quickly took care of that. While unpacking, I noticed a loud whirling noise from a large fan from the roof of a connecting building despite having all windows closed. This noise would not go away for the duration of my stay, and it made sleeping very difficult, although I eventually got used to it. My biggest complaint was that there was NO HOT WATER after a certain time. Even when there was "hot" water, it was at most "not cold". Since this was a vacation, I took a shower before I slept after 4 am every night, and the water was almost ice cold by then. This problem could not be resolved despite making complaints. I could have moved to Solymar, but that would have costed me $120 extra for my week-long stay. I should also mention that I only noticed after two days that my door did not shut properly without giving it a loud push. If I did not do this, the lock would not latch on to the socket and the door would have been easily pushed open again.

Despite having a do-not-disturb sign up on my door, the maids outside were talking extremely loudly (almost yelling) at 9 am one morning, being completely insensitive to the idea that such a sign up on the door would mostly likely indicate that someone was sleeping. (Why else would it be up?) When I left no tip that day on my pillow due to that reason, she stopped me as I was leaving and asked why I did not leave a tip, almost demanding one.

The lobby was very plain and highly discouraged anyone from lounging in it (it almost has a depressing atmosphere). I found myself making the long walk to the Solymar lobby as soon as I woke up and spent all my time there whenever I was in the resort. Solymar starkly contrasted Arenas Blancas. It was lively and can be compared to the Grand Oasis in Cancun, Mexico. I saw the rooms in Solymar and it was a huge, almost luxurious improvement over my room.

Having done my research about the food in Cuba being unanimously agreed that it was sub-par, I still approached it with an optimistic mindset. However, I now have to contribute to this agreement. Simply put, the food at this resort SUCKS. The food was tasteless and occasionally their pasta had dried up so much that it became unchewable. If food quality is important to you at the resort, then this is not for you. Keep in mind, however, that if you choose to go to restaurants outside the resort, then that becomes a world of a difference. I had lobster for $20 and it was delicious!

There were several nearby clubs around the area, the most popular and best being Havana Club, being packed with people until it closed at 3:30 am. I highly recommend renting a scooter to get around at a cost of $25 per day. You can talk down the price of a taxi down to 5 pesos one way, but that will not get you far. You can also buy a daily bus pass for 5 pesos, but I have not tried that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
We were sorry to hear your comments about the food and I would like to explain that we are improving the quality and the variety in our restaurant.
The cleaning staff were warned not to make noise to avoid disturbing customers.
I can assure you that these measures have been taken.
Eidar, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Went to cuba in november 2011 and stayed at solymar which is a Very family friendly hotel with a great service. All the staff at the hotel was so nice and helpful, specially at the buffet. The rooms were very clean. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Dear customer,
I am writing to you regarding your recent stay at our hotel, first of all thank you very much for letting us know about your experience at our hotel in order to improve our service. I can guarantee that our only goal is to ensure the satisfaction of our customers..
roxboro. qc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This review will be be objective!! We traveled to the Solymar at least 12 times over the last
decade since the hotel was constructed in 2001. Yes it did aged!!! But honestly was is a scratch
or a dent on furnitures...Yes the drawers have a few problems closing....so...! The rooms are
cleaned, sheets are changed. Towels changed if put on the floor, and service is great if you
address people in a polite way, and of course if you give tips from your heart. The food was
improved in november since our last visit last april, we gave our sincere appreciation to ADRIAN
who is doing a fine job. Table clothes cleaner! The same staff since a long time, our friendly CAREY, GONGALO and LIZBETH. they are doing a great job, no one in Canada beats them.

Room Tip: ask for a bungalow or bungalow suite. since a lot of young canadians and russians think they are alo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for let us know about your experience in our hotel in order to improve our service.
Have no doubt that I will pass your comments to Adrian, Carey Gonzalo And Lizbbeth, I will encourage them to continue working the same way,
New Glasgow, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

This hotel is great for the price you pay! The best part of the entire hotel is one staff member Onay Carriles Soris!!!!!! Onay goes out of his way to make your stay enjoyable and pleasant. I cant say enough on how good Onay is he always went out of his way for us. Onay works in the sports bar. Please say hello to Onay when you drop buy to see him!

Cheers

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
First of all thank you for let us know about your experience in our hotel, have no doubt that I will pass your comments to Onay, will encourage you to keep working the same way.
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I visited the Barcelo Solymar side of the ground October 7th - October 14th along with 5 other friends. We chose the Barcelo only because it was categorized as the party hotel close to all the clubs and bars on the strip which was accurate and since we were going there for a bachelorette party it made sense. This was my secont time in Varadero so I already knew what to expect and what not to expect. However I didn't think it would be this bad this time around.

If all u want is a place to lay on a beautiful white sand and crystal blue water beach that offers endless drinks that are way too strong and live on a liquid diet for a week then by all means this is the place for u. The food here is horrible and it doesn't get any better on the Arenas Blancas side either. My second day there I decided to eat from the pool snack bar from the Arenas Blancas side and must have eaten something that was spoiled and it was all downhill from there. It was hard to find a place that was serving good tasting food so I recommend taking ketchup, bbq sauce, hot sauce and even tea like we did. It'll make u popular as well lol.

The service wasn't as great as I thought it would be considering these people are working for tips that sometimes match their monthly salary. We tipped everyone from servers to bartenders to cleaners to the guards and sometimes it didn't even get u a smile let alone a thank u. The bartenders were by far the rudest servers we encountered there. The would all answer u in spanish even if they knew how to speak ur language.

The buffet at the Solymar side had the best service we encountered. The servers had tables ready for u as soon as u walked in and would get ur drinks ready instantly. Some would even go as far as getting u a coffee or cappucino from the bar which was way better then the ones served in the buffet. Catrine was our favourite server in the buffet by far! Really takes care of u!

The elevators were also down during my visit. There was only one elevator working at one time and even that elevator broke down during the day at some point so eventually u will find urself taking the stairs.

For such beautiful grounds the staff and amenities need to be upgraded a bit to fit the price we payed even if it was low priced.

Room Tip: Take all the condiments u can for ur food and stay away from the snack bars!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am writing to you concerning your recent stay in our hotel, first of all thank you for let us know about your experience in our hotel in order to improve our service. We were sorry to hear about your comments about the food and I would like to explain that we are improving the quality and the variety in our restaurant, I can assure you that these measures have been taken.

Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

First i want to say ifs m'y fift Time to Cuba its the worst hôtel ever there was russian people so loud there was a guy every night yelling at 3:30 am We tell security notting was done when We letf the chief of security guard was chassing that Guy. when it was the Timeto go .dont go there go to memories or riu not there .the pillow were hard hard. The food was discusting Bacon not cook Still rare .beach ok sorry to be négative but its the truth.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
BarceloSmAb, Director General at Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

We were sorry to hear about your comments about the food and I would like to explain that we are improving the quality and the variety in our restaurant. We also bought 500 new softer pilows and segurity is watching oat night so our customers can rest. I can assure you that these measures have been taken.

Kinds Regards,

Been to Hotel Barcelo Solymar Arenas Blancas? Share your experiences!