“Had a great time!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Caleta

We can't find prices for this hotel
Playa Caleta
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave. Kawama y Final, Varadero 42200, Cuba   |
Ranked #38 of 58 hotels in Varadero
Barrie, Canada
“Had a great time!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I just returned yesterday from a solo one week stay at the Playa Caleta. I purposely didn't read too many reviews before I left, as I wanted to remain objective. (so I'm sure some of this info will be repetitive). Overall, the oceanview room was fine. I had requested a king size bed, non-smoking room and higher floor and I ended up with 2 out of my 3 preferences (it wasn't a non-smoking room, but I also don't know if any of them were). The room was clean and my maid Tona was awesome! There was one day however that I found someone's toenail clippings on my balcony, which was kind of gross.There was no shampoo, conditioner or washcloths (which I'm sure I would have known if I had read the reviews) however I managed to make it by with the towels and bath gel. Most of the staff are pleasant and friendly and go out of their way to ensure their guests have a great vacation. The beach is absolutely awesome (can walk a long ways), great for swimming and didn't have any vendors, which is one of the most important things to me!

I only have a couple of negative comments. Firstly, guests didn't know from one day to the next whether lunch was being served at the main restaurant or the beach restaurant. Overall, the food was decent...Cuban food is always somewhat bland and to be expected (I just used tobasco to give it some zing). The pasta, omelette, stir fry bar and outside grill were awesome and the chefs were friendly and accommodating! There was a problem with fruit flies and birds around the food, but this also can be expected. Secondly, a couple of the restaurant staff were not only bad servers (one took my full coffee when I got up for some fruit), but a couple will also ask you to buy stuff (ie. cigars)...I don't think they should be trying to make money (on the side) from the hotel guests and I wonder if management is aware of this. Lastly, one day I purposely walked to a quieter place on the beach to relax and a security guard walked over (from halfway across the beach) and started talking to me. I didn't mind this, however he ended up parking himself within 5 feet, kept staring at me and wouldn't leave...I could have probably asked him to, but after a while I just went to lunch and didn't return to the beach that day.

Overall, I had a great vacation, met lots of lovely people and had the opportunity to enjoy a pro Cuban baseball game in Montanzas. I would for sure return to Playa Caleta in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

1,149 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Ulsan, Ulsan, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Me and my husband came down with his parents for the week and we had never before visited Cuba. We booked with Sunwing and got a great deal! Overall I was pretty impressed, though to be fair we had told them we were on our honeymoon and actually was told that they gave us the best hotel room in the place. It was very nice, though a four star hotel there was definitely not the same as you would expect a four star hotel to be like in North America. My in-laws were less fortunate, as they complained that one of their pillows had mold on it.

Every room comes with a balcony, which is nice especially if you are on the top floor. The ocean view was breathtaking and allowed for a nice breeze to come in during the mornings and night. One thing to be aware of however, is if you say you are coming with two people, they will typically give you a room with two double beds. We were lucky again, as we had received a king bed, most likely due to the fact that I as said we were on our honeymoon. The in-laws, once again, were not so lucky.

The entertainment at the hotel was awesome! They have something every night and we went every chance we could because it was just great. The entertainers were fun and enthusiastic and it was a joy to watch them perform. They will dance with you and really inspired the party. The beach was nice, though there were a lot of discarded straws in the sand. The staff was really nice and helpful, though be aware that they will expect a tip. Not really a big deal, as even 50 cents is taken with a lot of appreciation. Internet was down the whole time we were there, so for anyone that plans to do business while there I would caution you to bring your own method of communication. The restaurants were very nice but you get sick of the buffet by the end of the trip. I was very tired of the selections by the end, however, it is fairly easy to go into town and get something from a restaurant there.

Overall I had a fun time. Remember that a four star is really equivalent to what we would expect of a three star in North America and you'll be fine. If you have any troubles with your room, the staff are nice and will work to fix it right away.

Room Tip: Tell them you are on your honeymoon ;)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London On.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Returned from Cuba 1 wk ago ..was ok..but we are not that hard to please..lol
Food was ok..could always find something!!
Beach was awesome!!!!!!!
Service at upstairs bar abit on the slow side ..HOWEVER only 2 ppl serving everyone..
Not enough fillers for the evening entertainment what was there was ok for the 20 min show..lol
Grounds were nice and Hotel was always clean...
MAID - MARY was super teriffic..treated us great!! She's on the 6th floor always spoke and had a smile..
To sum things up you do get what you pay for ..if your going for sun and relaxing and some drinks..GO
IF your looking for FUN sun and drinks..perhaps another hotel on the strip closer to the action.

Room Tip: You will be asked to pay to use the toilets in town ..so I suggest that you do not drink before you...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I just got back from staying at the Playa Caleta. It was both our first time in Cuba. Overall we enjoyed our stay here. It's a 3* resort; you get what you pay for. Food was not that great at the buffet, but we really enjoyed the a la carte restaurants. You have to book reservations in the morning for the a la carte. Beach was nice, clear water, lots of shells but there's an awkward dip in the sand just before the shore. Pool area was fun but the swim up bar was closed everyday. Nightly entertainment got boring after awhile as it was similar acts everynight and there weren't any nearby nightclubs. I suggest getting an oceanview room, the view was amazing! Also, exchange money at the airport or in town as the hotel charges a higher exchange rate. Overall the resort was clean and we had a lot of fun!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
St.Catharines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was our 3rd trip to Cuba, and this resort is the worst hotel that we have ever stayed at. I read the reviews on this resort and we went with an open mind. The price seemed good at $445 per person plus taxes at $190. This Hotel is rated as a 4 star with sunwing, after being there I would not give it a single star rating.

The staff is extremely rude and lazy, and do not go out of there way to help at all. you will stand in long lineups for food and drink, while they ignore you and talk amongst themselves and serve their co-workers before the quests.(same goes for snack bar and buffet)
It does not make a difference wether you tip either.

Food is sparse and disgusting.
There is very little to eat at the buffet, a lot of cross contamination. Don't eat anything unless you watch it being cooked, and make sure they cook the food thoroughly.

Rooms are filthy
-cock roaches, blood stained sheets and pillows, mould coved mattresses and vents.
-we had the same bathroom towels and beach towels all 7 days.

There are zero activities if you are travelling with kids or teens. The entertainment staff sits around with there family and friends who are apparently allowed to use the resort.

The lifeguards are at the beech bar getting drunk with the bartender.

There is NEVER toilet paper or hand soap in any of the public washrooms.

The ocean is of coarse beautiful but the beach is filled with garbage.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just got back from Playa Caleta this past Thursday and had a great time!! ,Meet some really nice people and had a blast!!!... Brandle was a blast, Karel the chef was awesome made us fresh chicken one night ,it was to die for... Pasta guy was awesome too.So many negative people out there in this world,resort is not no 5star,food is good just have to good early,to buffet...
Breakfast was great omellete everyday and your good to go!!
Burgers in Snack job are also good just ask for them to be well done,toast your bun too.
I'm already missing Cuba, see you soon.

Room Tip: just bring Toliet paper for outside pool and beach!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This was our first time in Cuba, we read the reviews and knew what to expect.
Listen, you get what you pay for. If your a 5 star type may I suggest not going to Cuba, as the resorts are roughly the same wherever you go. I've heard horror stories about 5 stars out here. The vibe was great and the people I talked to were really enjoying themselves.

FOOD: Lots of selection, never cold or low on variety of food unless you wait till the last minute to get it! Make sure your early and there will be plenty of plates and cutlery, and yes there was ketchup there, even musterd and tabasco sauce, no peanut butter though.

BEACH: I hear about all this garbage all over, I never noticed it. The beach was clean and the ocean was amazing! The lifeguards were hillarious and can hook you up with any type of cigars you need for a great price, be careful if your a single women, they'll be all over you!

POOL: Pool was fantastic, water was great, tons of loung chairs, swim bar was always open, very clean and well maintained.

LOBBY BAR: Generally service was fine unless it's really busy. They do try to recognize who comes first, but some people like to cut in! I found sevice did not really get better when you tip all the time, so don't go crazy on the tipping, won't make a huge difference. Entertianment was pretty lack luster, but all in all very relaxing and chill.

ROOM: Room was very clean and well kept thanks to our maid Lizbeth. We left her little gifts like coustume jewelry, soaps, lotions, etc.. it went a long way. Always had clean towels and toilet paper, no problems at all, she even left us a bottle of rum one day!

Agian this trip is what you make it, I'm not saying the place is perfect, it does need renovation, there is a bit of mold and rust here and there but nothing to go screaming home about!
Cuban workers are hit and miss, it is what it is, however, on the flip side we also saw some rude and obnoxious tourists as well. I'm sure the workers find it hard sometimes to be pleasant all the time. Deal with it and you will have a great time. We will definitly be going back, why take a chance at another resort when you know what to expect.
Make sure to bring lots of sun screen, if you run out you will pay 16 bucks at the gift shop for a tiny bottle, wont make that mistake again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Playa Caleta? Share your experiences!