“Well run resort!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Melia Peninsula Varadero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Peninsula Varadero
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Parque Natural de Punta Hicacos | Matanzas, Varadero, Cuba (Formerly Tryp Peninsula Varadero)   |
Ranked #20 of 58 hotels in Varadero
Winnipeg, Canada
“Well run resort!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We knew this going in that Cuba was lacking in the food department. Keeping that in mind meant no surprises and was VERY impressed with our hotel...
- Breaking it down I felt the Staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. A few were very good, mostly in the lobby bar (both day and night).
- The grounds were very well kept and there was never a time I did not see someone working on upkeep and grooming.
- Our room was awesome, King size bed, large bathroom and no bugs what so ever. We were on the main floor and had been warned against this for "critters" getting in... didn't happen. The girl cleaning our room always had a warm genuine smile and was a treat to see each day! She kept everything spotless and wished I spoke Spanish to express our gratitude better.
- The beach area was terrific, with very comfortable lounges to lay on. The resort beside us kept trying to take ours and were quickly stopped by alert staff! The sand and crystal clear water gets no better anywhere else. If you love the beach... this is it - have to see it to believe it!
- Food. was very bland and not very good at all. We managed o.k, but had to be creative and I also brought a bottle of Franks hot sauce along. Went downtown for a few meals thinking it would be much better - guess again: it wasn't. Our meal during a day trip in Havana was very average as well. Liked the Buchanerro beer! The Cristal served in most places was like drinking water with very little flavor. Two of the a la cartes were excellent, enjoying the French and Japanese experience.
- Entertainment was weak. Went to one and a half shows over two weeks (they were all the same with different colored outfits). They had one night with dancing outside, but played the local young person Cuban music most of the night. All I can say is know your audience and play what gets the crowd moving! We had fun for 5 songs and then it all changed and we went back to the room. I can see how a country is proud of their culture and heritage but tourists don't need to see it all the time.
- The location is way down at the end of Varadero strip and quite a way from town. The double decker bus is 5 bucks for a day pass and you can get off and on as much as you like... we used this service a lot.
- The mopeds were great fun and just over $30 for a 24 hr period. Worth it to see the area and cruise around in the sun.
- The gym equipment was nice to have but should have a fan or air conditioning going. We sweat enough in there without the help of heat and humidity.

Overall we were pleased with the resort and give it 4 out of 5 for Cuba!

Room Tip: Try asking for a room between the pool and the main lobby. This way you don't have far to walk t...

2,769 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Polish first
Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Our overall experience from our recent (Feb 2013) visit to this resort was very good. The property has all the trappings that one would expect in paradise and it's obvious the resort is well managed. The staff in all departments were focused on trying to make every moment as special as possible.Poolside it was Vladimir that entertained while keeping the beverages flowing. Poolside entertainment in the afternoons led by David and Pablo engaging the patrons with amusing antics and games.
The buffet was decent, and once again we received special treatment from the dining-room staff. Particular thanks to our "morning person" ...Lisbet and wonderful Sandra who made our evening meals very pleasurable with her service. Our a la carte experience in the Japanese fare was excellent. Jose & Roberto are superstars. These are the people who made our vacation memorable and deserve the credit for our intentions to return. Gracias !!

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We just got back back from the Melia Penninsula today, March 5th. We had decided to take our two children along with us.
Good check in service, pretty quick and the bell boys took us right away to our room. The room was in pretty rough shape, all though I heard some have been recently renovated, ours however had not.... The beds covers were all stained, the play pen they provided was extremely dirty, maid service not good at all and no clean towels the ENTIRE week, both beach and bath.
The hotel staff seemed very friendly, the buffet and restaurants were really good much better then I had thought they would be.
Pools are lovely, but really cold, however that did not stop us from enjoying them! Great kids pool.
The Beach was so beautiful, great swimming! Plenty of lounge chairs.
Our only concern for this resort is THEFT! So many people complaining items had gone missing from there rooms and then we to experienced it! My 6 year old son had his running shoes(brand new) stolen from the pool, as well as money from my husbands wallet on the last day. This makes it very hard to recommend for that reason alone, the complaints we unreal, very disappointed about that, and we tipped so well, we actually thought we were really generous with the staff....... My advice, watch your things closely.
Overall good holiday, however would not return.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly renovated room
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This place was excellent! The staff was friendly, the facilities were well kept, and the food was excellent. A few things threw me off, however. The trees were a little shorter than I expected. Coupled with the fact that I found the sidewalks to be a little too wide created a walk to the beach which I found disorienting and frightening. Another issue I had was with the maps of the resort. They are placed at various, convenient locations around the resort but are not to scale. The maps showed my room to be about 12 inches from the beach and yet every time I walked it, I found the beach to be 3 or 4 hundred metres away. I found this really confusing and distracting. The third issue I had was with the sand at the beach. An ideal beach should have a sand depth of about 8” to 12”. We dug a hole at the beach one day and got as far down as 20” without hitting a solid rock or soil formation. Quick-sand is a constant threat at a beach with such a depth of sand. It is frustrating to have to be constantly checking your lawn chair to make sure you aren’t sinking. The final minor issue I had was with the buffet. Above each dish in the buffet, there is a name tag with the name of the dish written in Spanish, English, and French. I was a little concerned about what I was eating. I can only read English so I could only tell what English food was in the dish. I’m allergic to a few types of food so I was always concerned that the Spanish food and French food in the dish might be something that I’m allergic to. Rather than mixing the French, English, and Spanish foods together, it might be a good idea for them to have 3 separate language buffets for people with special eating requirements such as myself. Other than that, the resort was amazing!! They even had my favourite cocktail that I have not been able to find at any other resort; corn punch! I will definitely be returning to this resort!

Chinnor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Having experienced Cuba on a 14 day tour from Havana to Baracoa, we wanted to end our holiday with a week of R & R at a beach resort and that is exactly what we got.

The hotel rooms and grounds were superb - both well maintained and very peaceful. For a large hotel that was 'family friendly' it did manage to retain the peaceful element though I was disappointed by the number of guests who wanted to take advantage of the 24/7 bar facilities.

The food was well presented in the main buffet restaurant but it was difficult to find a table during busy periods and staff were slow to respond to customer needs. This issue was rectified by the opportunity to book into one of the 4 a la carte dining rooms which were very pleasant and the service and ambiance both excellent. This facility was only available for dinner and it was not made clear to us on arrival that we did have this facility so check this out as it is worth it.

Rooms were lovely and I believe were all of the same standard. There was a variety of entertainment / actvities if that is what you want but we were able to enjoy our sunbathing on a beautiful beach followed by a few drinks and quiet dinner. The climate was fabulous with just enough wind to stop us feeling too hot under the midday sun

There were few british tourists at this resort and as a result we were made to feel very special by the management team.

The beach was busy so if you need to have an umbrella for shade then you need to get down there early to bag your sunbed! Although busy, it was not noisy at all

Beach was great for kite surfing and wind surfing (not that I did either, but it was exciting to watch)

Room Tip: Rooms nearest the beach would be quieter - away from the evening activities Request a room with mor...
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I went here for my very first vacation Feb 2013 and I really liked it. Friendly workers and the Buffett food was good. i liked how they cooked the meat and fish right in front of you. The Mexican restaurant was really good! The beach was pretty and the pool was nice with an awesome bartender. We will go back to this resort for sure!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

The beach is great, the sea is quite calm, no big waves. The sand is clear and well kept. Not perfect but really good.

There is loud music at the main pool during the afternoon (15h-18h), but you can fallback on the beach or the kids club pool that is really quiet, not much kids and an ice-cream bar...

The rooms are spacious enough, calm and clean. The bed was a bit worn off but I had no problem sleeping on it. There is a free safe.

The food was the average Cuban experience. Not magnificent but not bad either. We never had problems and always found something to eat. Note that we always bring little snacks (chips, nuts etc.), you can't rely on the snack bar for little munchies. The pizzas were a bit of a deception, sometimes they use frozen pre-made pizza dough. Several days there was no french fries at the snack-bar, or bacon at breakfast... But the essentials were always available.

We tried French, Japanese, Mexican and Cuban restaurants; the best was the Mexican and the worst was Cuban. Japanese was fun, the setup is entertaining, the only deception is that the food was really cold, despite the fact that we ate around the grill.

The staff was polite, courteous. The only thing to say is that there was not enough of them, so a bit of line-ups at bars, restaurants, bank, etc.

We had trouble finding vacant tables and chairs from time to time, the resort was full tough.

Room Tip: Get up early, be generous and polite, smile.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Melia Peninsula Varadero? Share your experiences!