“Nice resort, but entertainment and drinks need to be improved” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Varadero El Patriarca

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
You added Ocean Varadero El Patriarca to your Saves list
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Autopista Sur km 18 | Punta Hicacos, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, Canada
“Nice resort, but entertainment and drinks need to be improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I just returned from a week at this resort. We were a total of 12 women on a "girls" trip.

Pros:
The resort was great, the rooms were clean and new, and the staff was very nice. Of the three resorts I have stayed in Cuba, this one had the best food. The beach was wonderful, and the pool was fun, not cold at all like I read from some of the other reviewers.

Cons:
One thing I did notice is that there is very little music and entertainment in the lobby area. This is usually the hub of most resorts, but not this one. The lobby was quite empty in the evenings because it was boring to be there. There was a trio of singers at times, but unless they were directly at your table, you could not hear them, and this was only for a short time anyway. I would suggest that they play music in the lobby through the speakers and have louder bands or singers play as well in the evenings. It would be a great improvement and give the guests somewhere fun to go in the early evening. The piano bar is great fun when the music is going on there, but this is only for a short time later in the evening, and the seating is limited. The hard liquor was very watered down at most if not all of the bars. All of the women I was travelling with felt this to be true. Many of the ladies I was with did not drink on a regular basis, but they could drink most of the drinks containing hard liquor at this resort and not feel any effect because it was so watered down. One evening I went to another resort, and noticed the difference in the one drink I had immediately.

All in all this is a very nice resort. I do like to party a bit on vacations though, and if they could improve the music and drinks it would dramatically improve that aspect of this resort.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Polish first
Pointe-a-la-Garde, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

This was our second time at this hotel. It was even better than the first time, although the first time was also great. A lot of improvements have been made to the hotel. For example the pool was completely redone, because the small tiles that were at the bottom where coming off, now it`s all uniform surface. The bathroom fixtures chrome surface was peeling off last year, so they replaced them all with new ones.
Mike`s coffee shop is also a great addition to this location, with super nice welcoming service, as all the employees are.
The food at the restaurants is very good, the salami and pepper pizza at the Italian was absolutely delicious, had it twice.
At the Gourmet, I had a beef tenderloin, it was really tasty and tender.
All the staff from all the restaurants are always in a great mood and very willing and happy to give you the best service with a smile.
And if you have a problem or a request, I suggest you go see the girls at the public relations office located where the privilege check in is.
These girls will try to help you with any questions or issues. And Jenny was our public relation officer that took real good care of us, And Jenny if you read this, we want to thank you for all your help and kindness.
This year we stayed up late enough to see the shows, the ones we saw were great, the Latino and Micheal Jackson.
Cubans are very polite and respectful, they will not annoy you like in other Caribbean destinations
The only little downside this year, one night there was a storm, and the tide washed out a large chunk of the beach, but still accessible, We were there from April 5 to the 12, this year.

There are people who leave bad comments sometimes, like bad food, bad service...I say if you cant say something nice, don't say anything.

Room Tip: Try to get a second floor or at least a room in the front of the villa.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Cuba was blast. We had a ton of fun, terrific weather and some wonderful excursions - Havana and a Catamaran trip. After all I heard and read I will admit to having very low expectations - I was really surprised by how great a trip it was.

The Ocean Varadero El Patriarca was a great resort. The food was really good (lobster night was amazing), the staff were friendly and the drinks were good. The beach was beautiful, I ran it 5 out of 7 days. The rooms were great - a shower and a bath with a big closet for storing everything. We had a towel hanger that was broken but didn't mention anything - it was not big deal - it was fixed the next day. Pretty decent service.

A couple of challenges: avoid the snack bar bartender for drinks- not as good as the beach bartenders. The buffet food and service were way better than the al cart restaurants - we only ended up going 2 out of the 7 nights to the al cart. I was part of a group of 18 (5 families) and for some reason that presented challenges only at the restaurants - the buffet had no issues moving tables for us.

Mike's coffee bar is a must - the Canadian (coffee, whiskey and maple syrup) was a winner.

A good time was had by all.

Room Tip: We were in the 3000s for rooms and that was far enough away from the party to get a great night slee...
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

We travel March 2014. This was our 6 th or 7th trip to Cuba. We loved the service and the people. Meals were not too bad. The only disappointment was that it is a fair distance to downtown and the buses are not too reliable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
New Glasgow, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My wife and I went to this resort on March 31st and had a 10 day stay. This is our 9th visit to Cuba and our first to this resort. The food was so good at the buffet that we never even tried the A La Cartes. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and honest. My wife borrowed my (expensive) watch and forgot it at the piano bar. Two hours later I went to the bar and was (much more than) pleasantly surprised to find that the waitress was waiting for us in order to return it to us!!! Forgot a towel & sunglasses in the lobby once and the same thing! The beaches were nice and the activities and shows were really first class. If you are wanting to go to a really nice resort, this is one of them. Anyone who rates this place less than a 4 1/2 star is either VERY fastidious or had a bad event that was out of the hotel staff's control. I honestly recommend this resort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Alexandria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was our first visit to Varadero Cuba. Great resort for families. The rooms were fantastic. Great service. Good food. Especially at the a la carte restaurants. We were able to eat at all of the a la carte restaurants. Amazing food. You just have to line up 30 minutes before they open. The beach was very busy. Especially in the mornings. Getting up early to reserve a beach chair is a must. We were very pleased with our cleaning lady Leisey in section 32. She was so kind and friendly. The grounds keeper who was working close to section 32 was so hard working and also so kind. We did not get a chance to get his name but we have enclosed a picture. We liked section 32. It was a very quiet area. It was just a short walk to the pool and beach and close enough to the restaurants. We will be back again next year.

Room Tip: The pool area(mornings) and disco(late at night) can be a bit loud.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Shediac, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We went to this resort on April 6, with two other couples!!! I have zero complaints! The rooms were really nice, always clean, lots of towels, the maid even left us little notes. A la Carte were amazing, please try the Oriental, it's the Best!! I really enjoyed the Piano Bar, every second day, there was a musician playing, they made us dance on the tables!!! As usual, the service was excellent, the beach was amazing!! No lines up at the bank, bar, A la Carte, Buffet!! I would recommend this resort for sure!!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Ocean Varadero El Patriarca? Share your experiences!