“great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Varadero El Patriarca

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ocean Varadero El Patriarca
You added Ocean Varadero El Patriarca to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Autopista Sur km 18 | Punta Hicacos, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Castleford, England, United Kingdom
“great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

stayed there from june 20th to july 4th staff are very friendly and made you welcome they all work hard. grounds and other areas are kept very clean. Berta are maid kept are room very clean. food is fine plenty of choice so i dont think even the fussy eaters will not starve. Enetertainment staff work very hard. We spent alot of are time in the joby bar and the gang in there are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel gives a good quality price ratio. The hotel is brand new so that a plus. However you'll quickly notice that the construction materials and equipment are cheap stuff. I'm pretty sure in a couple of years this hotel will be a mess. But for now it's worth to stay. The rooms are nice and the food is relatively good. Varadero beach is superb. The water is warm and clean. There is no motorized sport, well I didn't see one. You cannot sail the catamaran by yourself. It's not a big deal because the beach is so beautiful that you just don't want to spend extra money for other stuff.

The food is almost the same every day, not much choices but I'm not a buffet guy so i won't complain about it. You can fetch food 24/7 and that's really good. Restaurant à la carte is OK.

There are 2 new tennis courts, very nice. There is a privilege section, private pool and stuff for those who like quietness.

Well, remember the people there earn about $25 a month, any good tips you can get what you want.

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

Thanks especially to the gang at the Joby Bar. Meilyn, Rosana, Jorge, Nuriel, Yania and Nester. They are an amazing group of hard working but always happy to make your stay a perfect one. Looking forward to seeing you all next year. PS: To the Management: A suggestion regarding the entertainment in the lobby areas. I think it would be nicer to have a band or group playing in a corner instead of going up to people's tables....asking for tips! Enjoyed the food but would have like to have some "lettuce" for the salads...???

Room Tip: I always stay on the top floor. Less noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had a wonderful time at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and the food was amazing!
Myself, 3 year old son and my husband all had a wonderful time with no issues
We drank the bottled water but had the ice cubes in drinks and no problems at all
The ladies at the snack bar were amazing!! Especially Norisbel, she assisted us every day and was fabulous!!
I would recommend Cuba and this hotel to anyone traveling with small children. The flight is only 3 hours from Toronto and the beaches are white as can be. Weather was amazing. Not a rainy day!
Go and had a massage in their AMAZING spa!!! Margarita gave me the BEST massage I have ever had! And the spa facilities are GORGEOUS!

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I went with a family of 12, including six members ~50+, five late 20s to 30s, and a pre-teen (or tween, or whatever they call themselves).

All-in-all, we had a stellar time! I'll try not to make this a longwinded snorefest so allow me to give you as much info as I can in and easily-read style.

The place is new. The facilities are great, the rooms are nicer than at home, AC is wonderful, everything is pretty. There are tiles slowly coming out of the shallow pool, but this was counteracted by being at the beach a lot. I'd say the bugs inside were no worse than at home. Bring ant traps if you hate nature.

The beach was great. White sand, gentle waves, and minimal rocks/coral. This is one of the few beaches outside of Trinidad that I've actually quite enjoyed, and the water was aqua and warm.

I enjoyed the food. Cubans don't use spice as much as I'd like, but you can ask for hot sauce, ketchup, salsa, etc. Mixing/pairing things at the buffet resulted in some great combos, but not everyone will be that creative. The a la cartes are good if you get the right things, but have long wait times at dinner, so go early or late. Snack Bar was awesome! I'm not a coffee drinker, but the espresso I had here was the best I've ever had! Makes Starbucks taste like diarrhea (P.S. don't drink the tap water, but it's fine to rinse with). Careful if you're vegetarian or don't eat pork, they tend to put ham and pork in a lot, though sometimes they have chicken sausage. Ask if you're not sure of something, as you'll even find ham in vegetable soup.

(skip this bit if you don't care about alcohol or dancing) I very much enjoyed the Cuban rum, but if you go to the Piano Bar or Theatre Bar you can get a lot of stuff they don't stock at most other bars on the resort, including international favourites. If you go to the disco, the 'regular' DJ is not good at all. There was a substitute DJ who was decent, but the DJ (who tended to keep his door closed and leave the booth a lot) made our time at the disco disappointing. If the staff reads this review, set the younger guy to your regular DJ and lose the guy in the Metallica shirt. Félix even mused one day that he'd never seen that many people dancing in the disco while the backup DJ was spinning (Thu 27 June). Oh, also keep booking that duo of guitar/piano player and Cuban female singer in the Piano Bar (Wed 26 June) as they're insanely talented and extremely good in that space.

Finally, and most importantly, the staff were generally amazing. My favourites include: Félix the Busboy, Amelia the Server, Yanetsi the Maid Oragami Queen, Mr. Disco Bar at the disco, and of course, Ol Blue Eyes: Baron of the Snack Bar. There were also a couple of ladies at Guest Services and the older head of security that helped me find a misplaced camera who were all quite lovely.

To conclude, we had a great time, and I hope to return someday if I find myself going back to Veradero!

Room Tip: Just get something central or close to the stuff you like the best.
Stouffville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I would like to say, there are good things and bad things about this hotel. I would like to get the bad things out of the way first. There was very little Cuban music played at this resort.. It definately took away from the "Cuban feel". Believe me, most people that come to Cuba, like to hear Cuban music. People all around us were complaining. The disco, most of all, lacked Cuban music. Even with many requests. That was very confusing to me. Another problem was that the disco was either closing early or beginning late. One night it didn't open until 11:45 and it closed before 1:30. When I inquired about this matter at the front desk, I was told that transportation was a problem for some staff. This was not a one time thing. It continued throughout the week. My husband and I are returning to this resort on October the 3rd.I hope that this matter is resolved. My only other problem was a couple of front desk staff. I speak english but was making an effort to speak spanish. A staff said to me : " Do you want to speak english or do you want to speak spanish? I guess he did not like my attempt to speak spanish. Other staff did not like me asking for a new key. There were many good things about this resort. The service was efficient.Most staff were friendly and helpful. THE Hotel was beautifully decorated. The piano bar was lovely, a very nice addition. The lobby bar staff were very friendly and alot of fun. The rooms were very modern and welcoming. The food was good. I Brought over 200 pounds of gifts to share with the staff and everything was very much appreciated.One particular staff in general was very helpful and always provided excellent service. Her name is Elaine. She was there every morning and at lunch. Everything was done to perfection. She is a great waitress!! I am looking forward to my return in October. I hope this review has been

Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

Just back from 2 wonderful weeks in Cuba

Flew from Manchester with Thomas Cook. As soon as we checked in we were advised of a 4hr delay and handed a voucher for breakfast. The check in staff were very quick to say there was nothing wrong with the plane, just a late inbound flight....4hrs later and the first thing the pilot tells us is that the delay was due to engineers having to work on some technical issues. Never mind, plane was fixed, remainder of flight went smoothly and we arrived in Varadero just under 4hrs late.

Our journey to Ocean Varadero was about 25 mins from the airport. Check in at the hotel was friendly and professional but did take about 40 mins due to approx 70 ppl checking in at once. There was one bell boy to assist all guests checking in so we decided to make our own way to our room, giving us a chance to view some of the resort while it was still light.

We were situated in block 13, close to the swimming pool, a short walk to the restaurants and right next to the disco...certainly not as bad as some others have made out. Disco starts around 11pm and not once were we kept awake by it. Infact with the ac on we couldn't hear a thing and in June we needed th ac!! Located on the upper floor our double room was clean, spacious and modern- no complaints. Our patio door jammed shut one day and maintenance attended and fixed within 30 mins.

We exchanged money at the front desk. This can be done at any time and took no time at all. The hotel will only change into cucs- if you want to change cucs to sterling/dollars/euros etc then it needs to be done at the airport.

We spent most of our time by the pool and never had any issues getting a bed with sun shade or under cover. As other reviewers have mentioned the main pool is in need of repair due to tiles coming loose. We did notice this being inspected and understand it will be repaired at some point. In our feedback to Thomas Cook it was the only negative we had although it certainly didn't spoil our holiday. The pool at is deepest is just over 1mtr. Entertainment starts around 4pm- this could be varied more but the staff worked hard. We did go down onto the beach a couple of times- never hassled by beach vendors and ocean was wonderfully warm. The only thing that put us off the beach was the sight of people covered in bug bites. We were not bitten once and actually saw very few.

We ate in all but the gourmet restaurants. The Italian was our favourite of the a la cartes and the pool bar for snacks/lunch. However, in all of the other restaurants we always found something we liked and never went hungry. Service in the buffet hall could be hit and miss- always served water but sometimes other drinks were never delivered.

We attended 2 of the shows- Michael Jackson tribute and the water ballet. Both were entertaining. The shows start at 9.45- suited us as we like to dine later but may be a little late for those with children.

We booked a day trip to Havana with Rigo our TC rep. It was 89 cucs each which included return bus, lunch at hemmingways, tour of cigar factory and walking tour of the city. If I am completely honest I was disappointed with the trip and wished we had organised a private tour. It felt quite disorganised. It was also 36° at least and just too hot to be wandering round in circles.(not the fault of the tour or the city-it was just too hot to be walking around for so long) Being part of a large tour group drew too much attention meaning we were target for begging. What we saw of Havana was beautiful and lunch was delicious.
We also used both open top buses in Varadero. The red transtour bus stops just outside the security point of the hotel and the green gaviota (?) bus comes right into the reception area. We were told the green bus was 2 cucs for each journey however we were charged 5 cucs for an all day hop on hop off ticket which is the same as the red bus. Good way to see varadero.

We also booked the VIP lounge for our return flight. 30 cucs each, booked with our rep at the hotel. Got us through check in a bit quicker (although the luggage carousel broke down so a slight delay) and gave us access to unlimited drinks, snacks and served sandwiches. No internet/ wifi but a nice way to end our time in varadero.

I could go on and on but this is a small insight into what we consider a very good happy holiday! (Helped by the glorious 14 days of sunshine with only 4 mins of rain)

Hope you enjoy!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Ocean Varadero El Patriarca? Share your experiences!