“Cant wait to go back!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Naviti Varadero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Naviti Varadero
You added Naviti Varadero to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Autopista Sur, km 11, Varadero, Cuba (Formerly Hotel Allegro Varadero)   |
Ranked #51 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Edmonton, Canada
“Cant wait to go back!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

My friends and I checked in early a.m. and got into our rooms right away, they were not quite ready but by the time we came back from our initial wander they were good to go. The staff were very friendly, a few really want your hats but if you have been to Cuba you know this as I did and had 25 extra with me. The beach was great, only 1 red flag day (same day as Japan earthquake) and seemed to be a great fishing place for Pelicains witch is awsome to watch. We tipped the bar staff big the first day, and gave them gifts and single peso's after that and got great service for the week. The bathrooms by the 24 hour bar and the disco kind of stunk but you dont need to be a detective to figure that one out. If you are planning to get scooters be aware this resort only has 3, so either wake up early or you can take a cab to the next resort down to rent as we did. The food in the buffet was hit or miss as always in Cuban buffets or anywere for that matter but first night there they had a flash mob come into the buffet with a micheal jackson impersonator to dance to beat it, but the a la cartes were always good with great service, even when one of your friends is drinking red AND white wine like shooters (alot on his mind from prior evening). If you are a disco go'er, the a la carte servers usually end up working the disco so treat them good at dinner and you will be served good at the disco. This resort is perfect for anyone, relaxing by day and lots of party people by night. The d.j.'s were actually really good and did their own mixing witch had the perfect Americana to Cubana ratio. Not much point in dancing to salsa there because the staff are quick to the dance floor and will make you look like a fool if you try! But great to watch anyways. Anyways if you are the type of person who "Doesnt usually complain BUT," you are a complainer and should maybe find your self a 5 star in N.Y.C. but if you like to have a good time and take in a little culture witch you cant find in Mexico then I highly recommend Varadero and Allegro Varadero as well. Great for the price!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

My gf and I went the week of Feb. 17 to Feb. 24. We honestly had a great time. One thing people don't generally realize is that star ratings in Cuba are the equivalent of 1 star less back home. We checked in around 11pm or so. The lady at the front desk was fluent in English and French. The only issue was had all week was the key cards not working that first night, but that happens in every hotel in the world. They fixed it quick and we were good.

Our orientation the next morning was very helpful. We found out the day trip to Havana was only 67 CUC $ (convertible pesos are 1 - 1 with the $CDN dollar) which included a nice lunch but more on that later.

The hotel staff were extremely friendly. When you consider the avg. salary is about 20 CUC$/mth, a tip of even CUC$1 makes a huge difference (hint hint, you want a window seat at the buffet....) The room was clean with side tables, king size bed, energy efficient light bulbs, mini fridge, bottled water every day, a small TV and several channels (CNN, ESPN, CTV Edmonton, 2 french stations, 2 chinese ones, HBO...). Bathroom was fine, with separate toilet room, hair dryer, etc. We had hot water every day. Occasionally, we had to leave the water running a bit (that's a common Caribbean thing) before it got hot, usually later in the afternoon, but in the morning, it took all of 5 seconds.

We honestly had no problem with the food at all (see attached pics). When you consider the govt. rations about 10 eggs/month to the avg. Cuban, and our servers have a basket of 50, asking you how you want it (omelettes too) what do we have to complain about. There were 4 different types of cereal, milk, yogurt, fresh fruit, a separate station for fried eggs, and one for omelettes, pancakes, loads of bacon... and that was just breakfast. There was an abundance of extremely fresh bread for each meal with a nearby dessert buffet. The ice cream was great! The main pool bar was open 24x7 so if you missed a meal, you could grab a hot dog, burger, or ham and cheese sandwich.

There was enough variety at the buffet that you could have a varied diet. Dinner was usually chicken, beef, and/or pork. The meat was well cooked and decently seasoned (leave the Frank's Red Hot at home ;) One evening they served turkey, oven roasted and carved to perfection! There are 2 a la carte restaurants included with the stay. You just have to book it in advance. Very nice service there, with a band.

The beach was fantastic! White sand and a nearby bar. The only thing is the fact jellyfish were in season. They were on the beach near the water line and in the water itself, as they are looking for warmer waters (yes, Cubans call this their "winter", lol ;). People just avoided them and had a good time in the water (albeit not particularly warm at this time of year and it is the Atlantic, not the Caribbean). The pools were clean, unheated, but the weather was hot so it took no time at all to adjust. We spent a lot of time at the pool. The swim up bar is there...but if there's not a lot of people in the water, he won't go down the lil stairs and serve you, lol.

They have tennis courts and you can get rackets and balls for free to use. They have scheduled activities each hour on the hour (water aerobics, spanish lessons, etc.) with a pool and ping pong tables. In the same area, there is a theatre where shows take place each night at 9:30pm.

We highly recommend the trip to Havana. It's a long day, but if you like history and architecture, you will love it. Takes about 90 mins to get there, but they stop half way for pina coladas/bio breaks. Our guide, Pedro was great, and had a wonderful rapport with North American culture. It's a scenic ride along the way. Once we got there, we stopped for lunch (included in the CUC$67) at a nice restaurant looking at the cityscape. There were stops in Havana at the Capitolio, Revolutionary Square, the Havana Club Museum, a cathedral, and a market for shopping).

The staff really were great at the resort, we were never without towels or toilet paper, etc. Show them some respect and they will give you the world. We were both touched at just how far they go out of their way to make Canadians feel welcome. I would say that 80% of people there were Quebecois/Ontarians. Good mixture of young and old, families, couples, party groups, etc. and we all seemed to get along really well. We would definitely go back. Enjoy the pics!

Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

Firstly, I rated this 3*, but that's only because they are working very hard on the resort to make it a 4*. I'm sure once everything is done the place will be a 4+*. The renovations didn't really bother us at all, but knowing the potential of the place, it will be incredible when it's completely finished.

My hubby and I, and another couple went to the Allegro from Feb 24, 2011 to March 4th. We arrived at the hotel late, after 11pm. Check in took a while, but that's to be expected when a whole bus load of people arrive at once. The lobby is nice and well decorated, very bright as is the Cuban way.

Rooms: Our rooms were in I believe the Cayo Largo section. We were very happy with our rooms, they are very spacious, with a separate sitting room with balcony, and a bedroom. Our room was clean when we arrived, though our friend's room wasn't very (sand still on the floor, urine on the underside of the toilet seat, sand in the bathtub etc). However, she is the first to admit that she's picky and was planning to clean most of that herself anyway.
Thankfully we were in a good section of the resort, since the other end of the place housed the rowdy young crowd, and people that we talked to that stayed in that end didn't get a whole lot of sleep due to the noise level. That end had the "disco" which drew in the young crowd. We all slept like rocks in our end of the resort, it was quiet. The air conditioners didn't cool down the rooms as much as they likely should have, as it was only a BIT cooler in our rooms than outside, and we had the ac cranked all the way up. No big deal tho, it's Cuba, so who cares?
Our friends had quite an issue with tiny red ants in their room, particularly in their bathroom. We had some, but not nearly as badly as they did in their room down the hall, and I had about a dozen bites from them by the time we left, but again, it's a warm climate, bugs are inevitable. Quite frankly, if those are the only real problem, I'm ok with that.

Beach: Wow. The beach is beautiful, stunning, gorgeous...so many words could be used to describe it! The water was the prettiest shades of blue and turquoise... My hubby and I snorkelled and saw some nice fish, collected shells, and just enjoyed the water. Our first few days the water was calm and perfect, the last few the waves got bigger, but still gorgeous. Pelicans seemed to like the water too, and being a nature lover, it was great to see those beautiful birds. There were jellyfish that washed up on shore and were raked to the end of the beach. Some may complain, but frankly, for someone who doesn't see ocean creatures much, I thought it was neat to see them so close up. We never saw them actually in the water near swimmers.

Food: After reading the previous reviews I was a little nervous about what we'd eat while at the resort, but thankfully we were pleasantly suprised! The buffet was plentiful and full of variety. There was always lots of different foods to choose from, from beef to fish to pasta to bread...there was always something even the pickiest eaters could enjoy. The bread tho, it was fantastic! Sometimes it was even still warm...mmm. The coffee left A LOT to be desired...Tim Hortons would make a FORTUNE if they could open in Cuba lol.

We used 2 of our possible 4 a la carte reservations, but we preferred the buffet. The restaurants were good, but we liked having the options at the buffet...and really, to be honest, the food was pretty similar to the buffet food anyway.

Service: We were happy, overall with the service at Allegro. Everyone was friendly and accommodating, though girls in slinky clothes and bikini's were attended to first at the bars by male bartenders, but I guess that happens everywhere, not only in Cuba lol.
I want to give a shout out to MARIELA at the pool/snack bar, she made the BEST drinks in the whole resort and was always incredibly friendly and cheerful! Also Brandon who worked so hard bringing everyone cushions and keeping the pool and surrounding area immaculate!

Nightlife: There is a disco at the resort, and the early 20's crowd seemed to enjoy it. Quite frankly after a day in the sun and sand, by 10pm we were all pooped and ready for bed, so we never did check it out. Was fine by us though, we'd rather enjoy the beauty of the resort rather than partying. We were just glad that the noise was kept at the opposite end of the resort from where we were.

Town of Varadero: There is a bus that runs by the hotel every 30 minutes to take people into town, and for $5 peso/person, one can ride all day...however on our way out to the bus stop a cab offered to drive all 4 of us into town for $5peso, no brainer! lol we took the rickety old cab into town. He dropped us off at one of the many markets, obviously geared to toursits with many knick knacks and cuban items, and we had a great time perusing the shops. We haggled and got some great deals. We got hamburgers at a small restaurant beside the street called "la cafeteria" or something like that, and they were delicious.

There were plenty of cabs stopping us while we were shopping offering us a ride, and also horse and buggy's offering us a ride to the "big market", but we got all our shopping done along all the markets there that we didn't feel the need to go anywhere "bigger". When we were ready to go, hailing another cab was simple...originally he said he wanted $15peso to go back to the resort, but of course that would have been the same as if we'd taken the bus and I simply offered $10peso before we got in the car and he was more than happy with that. I figured we'd pay a bit more to go back to the hotel since they know we have to go back anyway lol. It was fine, really, and to town and back to the resort for $15 peso is pretty good.

Overall, our trip to Cuba was just what we needed, sunny and relaxing! Will likely go back sometime, though we don't travel much so going the same place twice won't happen too soon. Would love to see the finished result of the renovations sometime though, even if it's just in pictures. I would recommend this resort, as the price is reasonable and if you like a gorgeous beach, Varadero has it!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

First time in Cuba, and I was happier then I tought will be. Read a lot of bad reviews before so I was ready to face it. Well the hotel was nice ,room was clean and big. Food was good, pleople very friendly and hard working. Beaches and wather beautiful, love it!
I'll go back!

Chatham, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

I have travelled to a few places in the Carribean. (cabo san lucas, ochos rios, punta cana) If you want to have fun then go to the Allegro. I stayed from Feb 24th-March 3rd. The hotel staff are the nicest people I have ever met anywhere in the south. They love to have fun and mostly all of them will try their best to ensure you are happy. Of course like any other place tips will help. We had the most fun at the beach bar the guys that work there are a riot!! I must say tho the rooms are nothing special but all we did was pass out in the for a few hours here and there. For value I beleive that this hotel is great. The food is not the best some things I liked were : Omlettes, bacon, fruit, spaghetti, pizza, hotdogs, hamburgers & the grilled cheese (aka 24hr snacks). Also all of the people who were on vacation at the same time as us were great people we all had a blast together and now are facebook friends and we are currently sharing our photos! My favourite thing about the hotel was one bartender named Eybar he will make you laugh to no end so if you are travelling to this hotel soon please tell him Katie from Canada says hello :)

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at Allegro Varadero Feb 19-26 and probably had one of the best vacations of our lives! When reading these reviews note that anyone who says "I don't usually complain, but..." is a huge complainer, or if someone says "I'm not a picky eater, but..." they are a picky eater.

My experiences here were great! Right from check-in there was a French Canadian fellow yelling at the staff for giving him the wrong room (trying to take advantage of the english skill of the staff) and when I looked at his sheet they were giving him the exact room he ordered, he was just trying to convince them he had ordered a villa! I pointed out that he was indeed getting exactly what he ordered he told me a lot about the church in French (French-Canadian swearing for those of you who are wondering) and stormed off. When I asked the lady he was yelling at if my room was ready, mind you this was 2 hours earlier than the 4pm check-in, she picked up my key attached to my reservation, said "yes" and handed me a different key. Turns out sticking up for the staff gets you from a garden view to an ocean view suite.

The staff were wonderful, little tips go a long way with them, I gave the gardener just a couple pesos and there was a fresh bouqet of garden flowers at our doorstep the next morning, gifts and tips for the maid yeilded thank-you notes and all kinds of cool towel animals and sculptures, and a 10 peso tip to the beach bartender had my drinks ready every day "Elvis" was working the beach bar before I even reached the beach to play volleyball! He also brought the drinks out to me if he saw I was running low and had the time. Entertainment staff always had something fun to do, we played beach volleyball every day and both Sandy and Rene would stay out much longer than they had to if everyone wanted to keep playing, they also had fun little competitions always going on by the main pool and there was no way to be bored here if you're an active person. Also the staff are going 13-14 hours a day with only one day off per week and not once did anyone pocket a tip, it always went into a communal jar that everyone they worked with shared, definitely help these guys out!

onto the review.

The resort:
Amazing location right on the main hotel strip and a short trip from the beach. Renovations were going on, but nothing intrusive and yes there was some debris here and there, but if this is going to ruin your vacation do not go to Cuba or if you do stay in the most expensive resort you can, do not leave the gates and close your eyes/plug your ears on the bus ride from the airport to the resort as there are things you may not like to see or hear along the way!

The beach was great, soft white sand, a lot of jellyfish for a couple days, but that is not the resort's fault and only the people who were swimmig up to them and trying to touch them got stung, I had a small piece of tentacle get my toe when I was walking in the water (just a piece that broke off) and a quick packet of vinegar that I brought for just such an occasion made quick work of the pain. There were not enough chairs and cabanas for everyone, so get to the beach early if that's your thing, but I had no problem throwing my towel down on the beach, and looking at some of the resorts near by they didn't even have the luxury of room on the beach to throw a towel since it was so crowded. Our beach always had room to walk, lay down, throw a ball around, and there was never more than about 50 people in the water.

Room:
The room was quite clean, not detailed, but clean enough and very nice with clean sheets, towels, etc... Sure there was some dirt in the grout and some dust in the corners, but again if this is the thing that ruins your vacation stay out of Cuba. As a side note I've stayed in much more expensive hotels in the NWT where the room was so dirty it bordered on disgusting, there was absolutely nothing in this room that bothered me. We were hanging out with some people that were complaining it was taking them 3 hours to get toilet paper from the front desk, my solution they started to use afterwards and never complained again. I just put a note ontop of our tip/gifts for the maid saying we needed more TP when we started to run low and we had two new rolls in our room when we came back from the beach to get changed for dinner.

As I said before we always had some sort of cool towel swan or other art on our bed accompanied by a personalized thank-you note and we always had a fresh and sealed bottle of water, although I drank tapwater from the cooler at the beach multiple times without an issue.

Bed was comfortable enough, a little on the hard side, but I've slept on much worse in more expensive hotels. The doors to the room took a little bit of force to open/close, but this hotel was built in 1920 and I grew up in a house built in 1912, this was no issue at all and somewhat expected for wood of that age.

Food:

Everyone's favourite thing to complain about, well except for all the people we talked to there! Everyone had something they liked at the buffet. Nothing was inedible as long as you eat with your mouth and not your eyes. Some dishes looked terrible, but tasted great, the food was not Gordon Ramsay cuisine or anything, but everything was fresh and well prepared. There was also a wall of sauces like A1, Worchester (or however you spell it), mustard, homemade ketchup and many other tasty things to add a bit of flavour to the more bland stuff. Yes there were a couple dishes that were not too good, but these were far and few between. If you are a picky eater (see: everyone that writes a bad food review here) go into town and pay money to eat, you'll be better off, or pay the 25CUC for the lobster and a half, it was amazing and took effort for the two of us to finish.

Complaints:

The only thing I did notice, that actually I just laughed at, was the fire extingishers either had broken pressure gauges or were all empty, but they were right beside a fire hose, which is more than adequate in most cases and had enough hose to reach all the rooms it had to; also from experience I have seen that people fail to use extinguishers properly anyways and so this does not really matter to me, maybe for you safety nuts it does, but oh well. My other complaint is there is only 1 bar open 24h, the pool bar, and usually it is only staffed with two people, this is not enough to handle the volume of past 11pm drinkers that are there and you will wait a while to get drinks, so you might as well order a lot when you get a chance. My last complaint would be complainers, I heard people whining about the stupidest things, like the sand being too hot and not enough shade, go back to your room! Also there was a lady fanning her nose with a "pooy" face every time someone smoked a cigar or cigarette near her in the open air theatre, she was also encouraging her son to do the same; next time try asking politely or take your son to Disney Land where you cannot smoke anywhere, this is Cuba after all and people smoke.

All in all this was a great place and just for fun we had went into a couple 3* hotels in Varadero and let me tell you this is DEFINITELY 4* compared to those! It is not 4* by Canadian standards, but if you compare to what you get in Cuba for the ratings yes this was 4*. Also when we did some of the tours and talked to other people at 4* resorts everything they said they were experiencing was about the same as us. Next time I go to Cuba the only thing that will stop me from going back to Allegro is if there is a 5* at a comparable price, otherwise just because of the lack of over-crowding on the beach and the great staff I made friends with I will not stay at another 4* in Varadero than Allegro.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

We had just went to Melia Varadero in Dec, and had a great time there. This time was on a bit more of a budget, so we booked Allegro with low expectations based on the overall reviews posted here and elsewhere. All we were after was a clean room and lots of sun and we figured it would be provided here.

As soon as we got into the lobby, there was a server with a nice fruity drink. Check in took literally a minute. Up to the room on the fifth floor. Room was very clean with a tv and fridge, and even though we had a garden view you could still see water. FIve minutes later a knock on the door and more people bringing us food as we arrived late (11pm)None of this happened at the Melia; pleasant surprise.
Bed was very comfortable. Nice sleep.

Had breakfast, now Cuban buffets are usually more miss than hit, so what I recommend doing is taking a small sample of each thing you may be interested in and trying it out. Found the omlettes to be amazing from a very friendly employee. Bacon was edible unlike the goat meat they served as bacon at Melia. Coffee was horrible but they had cappucinos at all the bars which made up for it (they were good!)

Booked the three a la cartes (You have to do this!!!) all three ended up being incredible, as good as food as you would get at home served much quicker in a nice atmosphere.

The buffet food is edible, but I would recommend eating in either Varadero or a short walk down the beach to the Plaza America for the Italian restaurant, which is excellent.
Cuban food does not suck; cuban resort buffet food sucks!

There was always something going on at this resort. It is huge and it takes a while to figure out your favorite spots; spend your first day walking around to find these. Beautiful beaches, lots of bars, lots of pools.

Bring a shoulder bag with some toilet paper or kleenex as not all of the washrooms were stocked that well. Some of them were missing the seats (remember this is cuba) but I could care less about that stuff. Heard lots of cranky seniors complaining about this, makes me think they should go to a different island and leave Cuba for those of us who appreciate what it has to offer.

The staff at this hotel were friendly all around. People always discuss the tip issue; what I did was when I got change at the money exchange kiosk I would always get lots of quarters, every time I would get a drink I would flip a quarter. Sometimes if the service was above and beyond I would flip a buck; either way it was appreciated. Much more tipping here than Melia, which was nice. Remember these people work for very little.

Tips can be things as well, not just money. We took a tonne of basic products from home (toys for kids, soaps, girl stuff etc etc) and left it for housekeeping, and gave it out to the various people we met. It was all very appreciated and they good people of Cuba really are grateful for the things we take for granted at home.

The beaches are beautiful, watch out for the jellyfish!

Booze was plentiful, we did drink them out of Cervezas quite often but there was always Rum Punch's and the beer would be back in an hour or so.

CIgars. This is for all of cuba not just Allegro. If you buy cigars off the beach they are guranteed to be fakes. They reuse the boxes of the legit names (Cohiba, Montecristo) photocopy the decals/serial#'s and sell them off to tourists like they fell off the truck. They didn't. They were made by someone and its big business. Best case scenario you get some decent fakes that smoke, worst case you get banana leaf. Don't pay more than $30 peso's for a box and if they won't let you look at them don't buy them. I bought a couple, knowing they were fakes, but its all part of the fun!
Every store in Varadero has legit cuban cigars starting out at a peso or two (Piedras, Guantanamero's) and working up from there for the big names. If you are bringing some home for a friend buy them from the store, even if you do get "good" fakes they are not even close to being as good as the legit ones.

Overall this holiday was amazing. We met a tonne of great people, had a lot of laughs, lots of booze, sun, cigars, even danced on the sand. What more can you ask for?
The only negative things I encountered were cranky old seniors talking down to the Cubans, which ground my gears. Don't worry, I stuck up for the Cubans much to the dismay of my fellow countryman.

If you are familiar with the Cuban resorts than you will be fine here. Just eat the a la cartes and hit the restaurants the rest of the time and you will be good.
I actually preferred this resort to Melia based on the size, entertainment, and staff.

Looking forward to next year!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Naviti Varadero? Share your experiences!