“Relax and remember your in CUBA” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Tropical

We can't find prices for this hotel
Club Tropical
You added Club Tropical to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave. 1ra e/ 21 y 22, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #38 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Ottawa Canada
“Relax and remember your in CUBA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2009

I really enjoyed my stay at the tropical. I have been to Cuba before and it was at a larger resort. We were there on off season so they did not offer all the same services as when they are busy. We actually had a lot of Cubans at the resort. What most reviews forget to mention is that this hotel is downtown. you can walk to the markets and restaurants. At night you can walk to cafes where locals are having a bite to eat... singing , dancing and playing music. They are very friendly and invite you to join them.
The food was what I expected because I had been to cuba before but for a first timer my partner was not pleased!!! You definitly dont go to cuba for the food.
The entertainment staff was the best. They are there all day to tlak to and help you out. At night after thier shift they will take you to the club to dance. ( they do expect you to buy them drink while in the club)
Pool and beach are very clean and wonderful spots.
I would go back to rest but not if I am looking for an active vacation.
The rooms are clean but the resort is OLD the sink fell while my friend was shaving. We just laughed and had a story to tell. Its Cuba!!!! what do you expect for 500 for a week.?!?!? PS bring drink mix........crystal light helps witht he rum.
Relax and Enjoy Cuba!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Pickering
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

I decided to write a review because I feel some reviews are negative. I have been to Club Amigo Tropical several times. The first time I went, I chose it because 1) it's proximity to the airport. I don't want to waste my vacation sitting on a bus for 90 mins. just to get to the hotel. 2) It is located on an absolutely gorgeous beach as I had been to Varedero before. 3) It is small. I am well travelled and big ressorts I find are very impersonal and because I can only travel during high season, very busy. I hate standing ina long line to get a drink. 4) the price!!! You can't beat it! 5) They have a 24 hr. bar. Many resorts have bars that close at 10 or 11. I like the option to go for a drink late at night and a coffee very early in the morning. Was I disappointed- NO WAY! I had such a wonderful time that on my subsequent trip, I took all my children. (who go there on their own as well as with me) I do have to admit the food is medicore at best (except during special celebrations such as Christmas and New Year and others) However, you have to remember that this is Cuba, a communist contry where everything is not always available. I did not starve nor did my children. There was always something at the buffet that we could eat!! ( I have spoken to people that have stayed at 5 star resorts and they have complained about the food) And because of it's location there are several very modestly priced restaurants around if you get tired of the food! (5 cuc for a pizza meal) The beach at Club Amigo is fabulous. During the day you can get coctails there too! The pool is cleaned daily. The entertainment is as good or better than any I have seen, especially the water ballet, which I saw for the first time at Club Amigo. The staff is extremely friendly and grateful for anything you might give them. Now the people that work the lobby desk can be a bit snotty but give them a couple of pens or pesos and they will treat you much better. The entertainment staff is excellent. They go out of their way to get people to go to the disco in the evening. They are always around to talk to you and will assist you in anyway they can! In bigger places I have visited, the entertainment staff were hardly visible except when it came to activities. They play music during the day around the pool but never past 11. I have had rooms above the bar several times and never noticed the noise! The rooms are clean. I have had a room where there the shower handle did not hook up to the holder but for me this is only a small inconvience and not something to ruin my vacation. I am looking forward to my next visit to Club Amigo Tropical with my children in December!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Cavendish, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

This was my husbands first trip to Cuba and I was worried about the reviews. Well we were delayed, we were suppose to arrive at 2:55 pm but didn't, we arrived at11:30pm we flew Sunwing. I was so tired when we arrived that I just wanted to see my bed. The next morning when I woke up I thought my husband who was in the shower would want to find a different spot. The room was basic shower, t.v., a/c that's all I need to travel but my husband is alot pickier. He loved it, he was very happy with the room and that was just the begining.
We headed out for breakfast not a great selection but we alway found something to eat. The beach is to die for!! it's steps away from the resort and i mean steps like in about 10.
We found one of the greatest advantages this resort had was you are right down town and the staff was wonderful! Pinto at the bar (24 hrs)and winky, winky girl and Isabel Torres was one of the kindess and sweet people I have ever met in my life, her job was to scrub the floor, always a smile and a kind word no matter what. Even if some rude tourist spilt a drink on the floor just to see her clean it up, my husband and that guy had some very harsh words about treating her that way. Pigs travel every where, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!
The people are really great at that resort there is also a snack bar where you can get sandwichs, burgers, fries. and have a grill by the pool every Friday. Our room was on the top floor of this resort 4th floor no elevator which was great because we got our exercise morning, noon and night. We talked to alot of the guests and alot of them are return vacationers to this resort. Pool is nice, I'm not a pool person but kept very clean, the ala
cart resturant was very good but repeated alot . You are suppose to make your reservation at the buffet but after we went once to the ala cart the guy at the ala cart told us to come any evening and he'd fit us in we felt pretty special.We spent 2 wks there Mar.3 - 17 and I would definitly would return. Deposit for safe I forget but cost about 2cuc a day to rent, towels deposit 10 cuc. also has gift shop pretty good prices. Would love to be there right now. LOL There are a few cats which I think add to the charm of the place, I even snuck one up to my room and when my husband was asleep and when he woke up he said 'There's a cat in our room"! I said how in the world did he get in here, and jlaughed. I took him down stairs and put him with his friends, he slep on my bed and purred all night.
Any questions pm me I'll be happy to answer them for you. "Go, forget the reviews, you'll have a great time"!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

The only thing that this hotel has going for it is its proximity to the beach and the town. Less than a minute from your room to the white sand beach that made this entire vacation worthwhile. Likewise, you can explore Varadero on foot as everything is really close. This was my 4th time in Cuba (& 3rd time at a Club Amigo hotel), and by far the worst experience.

My issues with this resort:
1) There were hardly any guests. We were the only English-speaking tourists there. There was perhaps a small handful of Quebecers, and the rest were Cubans. It was a pretty boring 2 weeks as we only speak English and no one was willing to make friends. Tourists would come for like 2 days and leave. I don't blame them. I wish we left after 2 days as well.
The locals often arrived in large, loud groups. They were disrespectful to the staff. They tossed their garbage and cig butts on the floor and in the pool. A group of them seated themselves at our dinner table while we were at the buffet, even though our beach bags and drinks were there. My towel got stolen from the pool area. To the relief of the hotel staff, they usually left after a day or two.
2) Perhaps because there were so few guests, the hotel decided to stop the buffet service. Ridiculous. Instead they had ONE menu. The menu did not move to the next table until the first people received their food. This went on for lunch and dinner for about 4 days straight. Items on the menu were white rice, boiled potatoes, chicken, fish fillet, salad and ice cream. It took like an hour just to eat.
3) Food was lame. Breakfast buffet consisted of scrambled eggs, cut up hot dogs floating in water, buns, butter, fruit. No omelet station. Lunch and dinner were usually better when the buffet returned, but it was the same stuff everyday. White rice, boiled potatoes, squash, beets, cabbage, carrots, usually 1 fish option, 2 meat options. Same dessert cake every day. Bread that got older and harder each day. That's it. Literally. There was a snack bar that served sandwiches from the equally old bread. All they had were dry ham and cheese sandwiches. No spread of any kind. Random hours of operation. We spend most of our extra money eating at nearby restaurants.
4) The a-la-carte was "closed for the season". So was the massage service. So was the beach bar. So were the hotel activities like salsa lessons, Spanish lessons, aqua gym and all that. I think you get the idea here. There was nothing going on. They kept saying that it was because May is "slow season", but that's obviously not true because all the other hotels were packed.

We had a good vacation because we spent our time enjoying the beach, and that is essentially what we came for. There are a lot of lounge chairs and enough umbrellas. No seaweed. Just paradise! The bartenders were really nice and tried to make cool drinks, but sometimes this was difficult as the hotel only had pop to mix rum with. The evening entertainment was cool sometimes. I mentioned earlier that this hotel is walking distance from town, but let me clarify... the clubs and fun things that your friends talk about in Varadero are not around here. You'd have to drive across the town and hop on the hwy to get to that part. We unfortunately ran out of money and couldn't do that.

The room was rough. Even the lights weren't wired properly (bathroom light flaked out pretty often). A/c worked well, plenty of hot water. HBO channel. The maids didn't "clean" but only made the beds and sometimes replaced towels. They didn't sweep the sand off the floors, empty the ashtrays or take out the garbage. Tipping didn't change that. The guy at the front desk tried to rip us off on the money exchange on more than one occassion. He also promised that our luggage will be in a locked room on our last day, but when we got to it, the door was wide open.

I would recommend this hotel to someone who is broke and desperately just wants a week on the beach, as it was very cheap. If you think you can splurge, go elsewhere and save yourself from this pathetic parody.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I went in Feb. with two of my friends. I was excitied to stay at the resort especially since i read some of thew reviews prior to booking our trip. The FOOD is horrrrribbbllleee. We went around to other hotels and had our meals there and the food was 10X better. The beach is beautifullllllll : D . The rooms I did not like. They did not seem very clean and need to be updated. I would not reccommend this resort for young people. It more for older people who want to relax. The ENTERTAINMENT SUCKS. I had to leave every night to go to KAWAMA to watch their entertainment. The front desk, is not very helpful. You would ask them something and they would tell you to go ask someone else. The only good thing about this hotel is the 24 hour bar. Other than that, If i visit varadero again this will NOT BE the resort is stay at.!!!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

Let me start by saying that I had an awesome time in Varadero and I would go back to Cuba anytime.......... but not at club amigo tropical!!!

First, we had booked triple occupancy but when we got to the hotel, they forgot they didnt offer that type of accomodation so gave me a ridicoulous bed to sleep on!!! (Photo attached) Wasnt too impress as they didnt do anything for me... Also, they ran out of beer a few times. We actually had to go out and buy some (crazy!) Never had a beach towel... they always ran out of everything!!! I found it was VERY quiet... A lot of: 40-60!!! :( I actually stayed at Arenas Blanca 4* for 3 days (about 5km down the main road from Club Amigo) and it was wayyyyy nicer... More young people, more lively, faster/better service, room were amazing (compared with mine) The only thing missing from both resorts was a pool bar!!!

The good things was that it was always clean!!! The room was well kept by the maid (bring the ladies some nylons!!! They go crazy over them. They really prefer small gift over money.) , always had hot water. The beach is amazing and you are very well located in Varadero...

We actually ate out ever night... The best steak is at: El Toro, located 3 blocks away from the hotel and Pizza Nova wich is located in Plaza Americas... its an 8 pesos ride but worth it!!! The bars/night life was awesome too. I prefered the Club International to the others. You must make a stop at the Cave though... The shows are cool and the music is great!

I went on the Catamaran trip to Cayo Coco... It's nice to get away from the resort... ;) We also rented a car and drove to Havana!!! Awesome experience...

An in all... If all you do is go out, party, lay on the beach and you dont need towels or beer, this place might be ok for you... It was for me to a point that, in the end, I didnt care cause I had so much fun!!! Next time, Ill book a 4* minimum for sure. Ive seen the difference and it is worth it!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

I was expecting not much after reading all the reviews BUT I was really pleasant surprised. For the price I paid for the hotel it was the greatest deal I could make. The room was quite nice with a big bed, the bathroom as well big and always kept clean. I had TV but believe it or not I don't even know if it was functional because I did not have time to turn it on ;) The pool seemed cleaned but I did not swim in it because I liked the ocean. The beach was amazing and I was not afraid to leave my valuables on the sand when I went into the water because there was always a security guard watching. The service was also very good. They always prepared me great cocktails even though I did not tip all the time... Just sometimes ;) The food was good, just that it was a bit repetative but I always had something to eat ;) The animation team was also great. I got to take dance lessons with them and it was really fun. Really nice people and I enjoyed every minute of it.
I really had a wonderful time there and I would go back in a second. I am really glad I made that choice :D

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Been to Club Tropical? Share your experiences!