“A brilliant 10 days” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Roc Barlovento

We can't find prices for this hotel
You added Hotel Roc Barlovento to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave 1ra e/ 10 & 12, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #30 of 59 Hotels in Varadero
Halifax, Canada
“A brilliant 10 days”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous 10 days at this charming hotel .Sept. 11-21/2013. Can you say Location ,Location. This hotel is situated at the gates to Varadero on one of the nicest stretch of beaches I have ever encountered on vacation. Being in town everything was with in walking distance or a short buggy or cab ride away. Rooms were adequate and what you should expect. Hotel was small but very comfortable and made for a close knit group as everyone seemed to interact with each other. Guests and staff alike . Shout out to all the staff from the general manager to the gardeners and everyone in between . These people went above and beyond to make sure your stay was one to remember. Special thanks to the entertainment staff and resident dance troupe. The shows we saw at Barlovento rivaled any 5 star I've been to.My son and I were looking for a great place as it was his first AI and we had been apart for several years and we were definitely not disappointed here. Always something to eat or drink here and enough variety of food for the 10 days we were here .Met many new friends here and hope to return again . Many repeat vacationers here folks. Only fault I could find was overall resort is dated ad in need of a facelift but even in September this place was hopping so finding time to accomplish this is going to be a hard task but they have a good captain at the helm.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JuanFdez-GM, General Manager at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments.

All our staff feels very proud to hear that you had a good holidays with us and they are willing to see you back soon.

We shall forward your comments to the entertainment staff and to the dancers as they also do big efforts to keep the guest satisfaction.

Hotel Roc Barlovento

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Greek first
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was our second time in Cuba, and Barlovento was a great choice. Really enjoyed the location, walking distance to town. Our rooms were clean, cool, water pressure was not the greatest, but whatever came out was hot..:)

For the end of August, the resort was quiet busy and lively. The entertainment team did a wonderful job, always urging the "sexy mamas and papas" for different activities by the pool during the day. Nightly entertainment was good, also. The music usually stopped by 11 pm, which suited us just fine, since our room faced the pool/entertainment area.

Food at the buffet is plentiful and tasty; the Mexica a la carte is a must to try. Loved the piggy! The Italian restaurant was OK, although the host gave us a little runaround when booking; the place was half empty, but he kept saying that all the tables are taken. I refused to tip him, went back the next day, got a table.

The beach...oh, the beach...miss it already...The kids used the pedal boats every day, and we paid a little for a catamaran trip, and the guard took us out for snorkeling. It was a couple of hours only, but what an experience! We celebrated a birthday and our wedding anniversary that week, and the house band made is even more special.

Enjoyed the beach grill, the best hamburger ever! Rented scooters a bit up on the road, walked to the market close by daily, and rode a 1959 Chevy convertible up and down the peninsula. The double decker was fun, be aware of branches hitting you on the right side..:)

Stopped at the Mall, and got a little eye opener: purchased some honey and drinks, and figured it will be around 17 CUC. The cashier asked for 19.60, we paid cash, but started thinking about the receipt. Asked the manager to double check it, and she explained, that the cashier made an "honest mistake". Even though we paid cash, he hit the "credit" key on the cash machine, and it automatically adds an extra 2.5% to the bill...but since it was just an honest mistake, she refunded the difference...:)

I booked a daytrip to Havana with Cuban Connection, it was the highlight of the week. Those guys are professionals, delivered everything they promised and more!

Over all it was the perfect week. I would go back to Barlovento without hesitation, except it is becoming a 16+ only resort, and my younger one is only 11...:)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
JuanFdez-GM, Director General at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Kati,

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

We are glad to hear that you and your family had a good holidays at the Roc Barlovento.

We are working to improve the water pressure, installing new pumps, and hope it will be finished before the high season.

It is true that Roc Barlovento is going to be operating for guests over 16, from November 2013, but we also manage our sister hotel Roc Arenas Doradas which is going to operate as a family oriented resort and I highly recommend it to you and your family, as I am sure it will fit all your needs.

Brockville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

My second visit to Veradero. First time I stayed in Hotel Kawama, next door to this one. It was closed for renovations so I tried this one and am I glad I did. Everything is so close you don't have to walk for 10 minutes to get anywhere. All the rooms here are like Premium rooms. You can ask for one overlooking the pool or one facing the gardens if you like peace and quiet. All literally within a 1 minute walk to the pool or the dining room. And a 2 minute walk to the beach. Also only a 5 minute or less walk to flea markets and restaurants downtown. You just can't beat the location. I've seen the hotels way down the highway and you have to take a taxi or bus to go shopping. I met the owner Juan, very nice gentleman who promised me he would put Fried Chicken on the menu for my next visit in April. That was my only complaint to him. The food. When they served hamburgs or fish in the main dining room,I was happy, I found myself eating at the Pool restaurant and bar most days where you can get a good hamburg or hotdog or pizza from 10:30am to 5:00 pm. The pool was clean and refreshing, all the staff were friendly especially Ernesto and Ivan the chefs, Jenyl, our waitress, and Legla and Regla, the entertainment hosts supreme. These 2 girls work their butts off everyday to put on some great entertainment for the guests. See you guys in April. Miss you already. The weather was amazing, no rain and 90's everyday for my week there.It started raining as I boarded the bus to leave to the airport. While there I rented a scooter a short walk from the hotel at bus stop 45 beside Kiki's restaurant. $18 cuc a day for 5 days or more. $4 to 6 cuc to fill it up with gas. $1.15 per litre Canadian. Exchange rate at the hotel reception is 15%. You get $17 cuc for $20 Can. Telephone is $2 cuc per minute in the hotel. Internet is $5 cuc for 30 minutes. There is no wireless. Only an internet café and you have to use their computers and they are very slow but I managed to send 2 or 3 emails within the 30 minutes. I stayed in room 287 facing the pool and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: 2nd floor facing the pool for a good view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
JuanFdez-GM, General Manager at Hotel Roc Barlovento, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear friend,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. We do appreciate them!

We are very glad to hear that you ejoyed your holidays at the Roc Barlovento and you also liked the location and specially the way our staff treated you.

We shall send you comments to Lekna & Regla, as we are sure they will love to hear them.

You can be sure that for your next visit we´ll have the fried chicken as I promised you.

Wish you all the best!

Sincerely yours,
Hotel Roc Barlovento.
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We got a last minute deal and could not have been happier. We stayed four nights here in February 2013, The location is amazing, the Mexican restaurant was delicious (Viva Raymondo!!!!), the beach fabulous, and I'd return there in a heartbeat. Beds aren't the best in the world, I will be returning with my pillow, but we made the best of what we had. We felt comfortable walking around town and Cubans are absolutely charming. I really really hope to return soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Benoit,

Thank you very much for your kind comments!

We are all very happy to see that our efforts reach our guest´s satisfaction,as it is our main objective, and it is very nice to hear that you had a great holidays at the Roc Barlovento.

We shall forward your comments to Ramon, at the Mexican Restaurant, as he will love to hear them.

We all look forward to wellcome you once more.

St.Petersburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Let's go step by step.

The building itself and hotel area are very neat, clean and well-kept. Nothing bad to say about...Just you don't know whether to laugh or cry, but the first creature that met my when I opened room door when arrived was huge brown american cocroach....size of mouse. It was something!!!! Then they showed up one more time and disappeared for good. Needed to say that every evening the hotel services processed territory with anti-mosquitos chemicals which smell is not good but vanished quickly.

When I got over after settlement procedures and began to scrutinize atmosphere i had impression that because of low season the activity of some hotel departments was a bit lower than one is for high season - animation team, restaurant (choice of food more limited). But as I am my own film director and food is far from panacea for me, this facts did not bother me at all. I was really satisfied with quality of room cleaning. Had all required, always and very quick reaction to all my askings. Being solo, nevertheless I had always 4 towels, sometimes more. Alina - my room maid was very welcoming, very hard-working and very honest.

First couple days there were problem with drinking water because nobody explained that water in fridge is given for the day of arrival only, then you have to fill the bottle with water in restaurant yourself.

Had to change room 3 times. The problem is in hotel layout, shaped in semicircle around pool and animation area, so doors or windows always face this zone that is not very convenient for early-going-to-bed people. But all shows and music are over before 23.00 that was't bad.

Weather. For the 16 days of my stayng there were 2 thunderstorms with showering for 2-3 hours each and 3 sunless days with thin and drizzling rain that was not really troublesome... Anyway the sun was very active and everybody make up an appropriate conclusion.

What I was relly surprised and enjoyed is a lot of security men all over the hotel area, no strangers, no theft, total safety. These guys do their work with great responsiblity that is very important for tourists. I think who really deserving reward, praiseworthy and deserving good tips are them....

As for beach, ocean, sun, have no words only emotions, see photos.

All staff is very welcoming and try to do the best for their guests, but low season is like time of short rest for them and they a little bit relaxed, taking into account that there are no off-season at all in Cuba so don't judge them too strictly.

The one disadvantage I faced - no opportunity to upgrade room as all bungalows were closed for this period. But advantage is there is no crowd of people particularly some problemmaking representatives of Russia.

In a whole It was well-done trip, as well as always. About Varadero entertainment, can say only that Havana Club really sucks, if you respect yourself, do not go., very cold, heavily oversmoked place, for stoned drunkers, no place to dance,to seat, expensive drinks, music for zombies.

Separate topic about tips. Certainly it is not obligation, but It is Cuba and unfortunately its government does all that its people think about food everyminute, everyhour, always and everywhere. Half-starved human doesn't have rebellious ideas about current regime or posibiity to change something. So do not think that they are just beggars, they do not ask you to do it like let say in Republica Dominicana. Cuban people do all well without tips too. But having income 13-14 cuc, overage 25 cuc per month, with 1kilo of meat costing 5 cuc, with 1 chicken per person per month (by special product card), with hamburger of 2 cuc, people, what are we talking about? So 1, 2, 3, even 5 cuc, will not make you poor but feed one more child, support one more family..
Anyway do all like your heart prompts you. Go with positive intentions, bright mood, kind soul and you will be over the moon about your holiday..

Room Tip: Most quiet rooms facing tennis cort or main avenida, that is quiter than pool area, I stayed in 358...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is the first hotel i ever visited the first time i ever visited Varadero back in 2008. I have only stayed in one other hotel and i regretted it. This is my only choice as far as i am concerned. It is small and yet very well kept and the staff, from the front desk to the maids even the doctors that attended my girlfriend at 5 am cause she got sick from a night of mixing drinks at Mambo Club :) onour last visit back in may of this year. We are heading back in August. The food is always fresh and eventhough it is not what north americans expect it is by far good food and the staff put a lot of effort into everything they cook for the guests. Lots of people keep coming back here cause it feels like home and friendships are forged along the way.

The beach is awesome, clean and relaxed. Everyone behaves, no power drinkers or obnoxious guests ever during my stay. Eventhough it is a small hotel, it is quiet, clean, comfortable and very safe. It is the first hotel the bus stops at from the hotel which is great cause you can start your vacation right away. It is minutes away from our two dive destinations shops and we are so happy to go back. See you soon guys.

Room Tip: if you can stay on the first or second level you should be happy. Third level is quieter but the set...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newmarket, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our family has been to the Barlovento for many years... even thru previous changes of management!
My kids love it there, as do we. We love the staff there and have made many friends and now consider them like family.... Katia is always going above and beyond to make sure that we are always having a good time, the entertaiment team and servers as well always greet us and welcome us back to what we consider our second home!

We are very sadden to find out that as of November 2013, that this "second home" to us will only be 16+ and now we will not be able to return. We have 2 children, and one will not meet the age requirement to stay here.
There are not many hotels in Varadero that have the qualities that the Barlovento have.
I hope that the NEW Management revisits this, and once again makes this a "family" resort!

The food is food, we always take our own goodies (ketchup, granola bars, peanut butter etc) we enjoy the food there, but having something from home is always a bonus!

The rooms are cozy, but really they are only for sleeping and showering really.. they are clean and bright! We always have the same room year after year.. we have been there over 10 times and sometimes twice a year :D

Room Tip: We always have a pool side room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Roc Barlovento? Share your experiences!