“Would go back for the right price!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Varadero

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Riu Varadero
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Varadero Cuba, Varadero, Cuba   |
Ranked #26 of 58 hotels in Varadero
Windsor, Canada
“Would go back for the right price!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

As you are doing we read all the reviews and became a little worried. For the most part everything was great. The staff are very friendly (with or without tip). As for the food, well it is cuba.....with that said we didn't starve. The goumet restaurant was very good. We ended up getting 3 a la carte reservations during our week long stay. Many people don't know that you can get into one without a resevation.....they reserve on the half hour so if you go and wait a little you can have the no shows spot!! The rooms are cleaned daily, the fridge stocked every two days and the pool towels can be exchanged daily. The pool area is fantastic and the beach is beautiful (minus the jelly fish)! So go , lay back and soak up the rays!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

2,821 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Polish first
Wandering River, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

This was our families first trip to Cuba. We booked in the Royal Section of the Resort. And I would highly recomed this! Our room was exceptional, and the little extra's you recieve were a welcomed treat. The maids greeted us every morning and were very friendly. Our rooms were cleaned and restocked before we would get back from breakfast every day. The pool bar was by far the best place to be day or night. Alberto and Dali made the best Blue Varadero's in the resort along with the mojito's! Very Friendly and made our stay so much more entertaining. We looked forward to the evening entertainment there each and every night. The resort in it's self was very nice, new and clean. I have read complaints about the resort not being finished but this does not affect anyone as it is far enough away that you would never notice unless you are looking for something to complain about. We had no problem booking A-la Carts as they accomidated us to our needs. The front counter staff was very helpfull, I requested a Taxi with a English speaking driver and was very pleased with his helpfullness when we toured the Town of Varedero. He also later picked us up at a requested time and brought us back to our Resort. This Resort is Top of the list in Varadero if anyone can find another I would be very surprised!!!! enjoy your stay it is well worth it!!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2011

Our double Suite was great for 2 adults and 3 small children.

The pool in the royal section was excellent for the children to play in addition to the main pools.

The beach was great, the kids were able to find some nice shells.

The food is typical of a Cuban all inclusive, pretty bland, my best meal was in the ala cart, had a wonderful lobster dinner.

The staff are excellent and friendly, while you realize tipping is appreciated it was not necessary for good service.

The weather was excellent during our stay, the only complaints the kids had was the food, but nobody starved. I had planned ahead and brought snacks in the suitcase for them.

The tours seemed well organized, I took the half day sugar cane tour and enjoyed it while the kids spent the day at the beach with their mom.

The double decker bus is the way to go to downtown varadero, my 4 yr old was all smiles about riding up top.

We never had to wait for dinner at the main buffet other than for the building to open for dinner, some other posts on here make it seem there is always a line which isnt true.

The entertainment was interesting, but I am not much for that kind of stuff.

I was happy to bring the 52oz bubba insulated mug to keep my cervesa cold while sipping my mohitos.

The maid really made the childrens stay memorable with the blanket art on the beds each day, we had brought some nice gifts for our maid in addition to monetary tips.

My only grumble is I didn't get to go to Havana.

I would stay here again, but i would book the same royal section, to have a total separate pool and ala carte was worth it. They should also have their own snack bar in that section would have been even better.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
London, Ontario
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2011

Numerous problems with our stay....these are the 'big ones':
- not enough towels or bottled water to drink in the rooms
- food was tasteless and often undercooked which is scary for a beef burger!
- beach was crowded and the resort is not completed yet
- plumbing in the entire resort did not work for a whole day
- no hot water for 2 days
- ants on our bed
- unable to book an a la carte meal until the end of our stay, yet the restaurants appeared half full at any given seating
- numerous complaints did not resolve the issues
- in fairness to the Cuban people....they are wonderful and try very hard however when there is not enough staff then there are bound to be problems
- if you are looking for a '5 star', then consider another option - at least until this RIU has its problems sorted out

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Braunschweig, Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Not to this one. Mice in the rooms, other traveller reported being bitten. When we were there, resort very unfinished. Understaffed. Food far from Riu standards, repetitive and generally lukewarm or cold. Prawns were served still raw, tap water instead of mineral water, construction everywhere. A lot of booze tourists.
Staff nice if you talk Spanish. Resort could be nice if finshed and run properly. Would never go to Cuba again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

Before I left, I read all the bad reviews! I was determined to get a upgrade to the royal section but when I got there, I was really happy with everything so didn't get an upgrade! The room was clean, mini bar was alwaysssss full! Food was good! Everything was great!

• Stayed February 2011
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

We overall had a good vacation. It is a nice resort with friendly staff. My biggest concern for the resort is that they are understaffed. We encountered a few minor problems, but nothing that ruined our vacation. The weather was fantastic and the ocean was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen. I have to agree with most people about the food. It wasn't very good, but we always found something to eat....No one starved. I don't think anyone can have high expectations for food at an all inclusive, especially in Cuba. I would give it an 8 out of 10 for the time being. Like I said in the title, it's not perfect, it just has some things to work on. As long as everything is clean and the weather is fine, I don't see why anyone would have a bad time here. Feel free to message me with questions. If bad reviews have you worried about this resort I would honestly say just go with an open mind and enjoy yourself. The terrible things that people wrote on tripadvisor are totally untrue.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Varadero? Share your experiences!