“Don’t Waste Your Time Here” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santiago de Cuba
Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales
You added Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera de Baconao Km 31, Santiago de Cuba, Cuba   |
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Santiago de Cuba
Ottawa, Canada
“Don’t Waste Your Time Here”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

First off, I have travelled with my girlfriend to Cuba for the past 8 years which has included a total of 10 trips, almost all of those have been 2-3 star properties, so I know what to expect from Cuba. This place disappointed on every level.
The location in the national park is very nice with a massive beach, unfortunately only a very small part is swimmable – rocks, urchins, etc. The animals are cool and are never a nuisance. The food is the worst I have ever had, the staff was (for the most part) bothered to even say hello let alone if you have a question. We love to travel in Cuba, staying on the resort for 7 days is not our thing. We went to book a scooter to drive to the city the Monday morning after we arrived, we were told we could have one on Thursday, we went on Thursday and was told to come back tomorrow. We were planning on travelling to the city 3 days, we only got to once. The crowd when we went there was 50-70 years old – we thought that would create a relaxing atmosphere. I have never seen such a rude, inconsiderate group of people – I literally saw an old woman push a kid to the ground when the buffet opened up, it was horrible. It seemed it was large groups of seniors from Italy and Quebec. I usually don’t leave a review unless the place exceeds or disappoints, and boy does this place disappoint. Cuba is a beautiful country with so much culture and considering the political state, the people there are very friendly, honest and a pleasure to be around. Don’t waste your time at this place, there are so many other beautiful places to explore where you will actually enjoy your time.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Midland, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

My friend and I (27 & 29) stayed at this hotel in February 2012, we were looking for a comfortable resort to spend 7 days to relax and do some fun excursions. Trust me when I saw we read reviews that went back and forth on being good and bad, if you want to feel safe and clean - this is not the place for you! Our first room, had mold and holes in the wall, it smelled of sewage and the sheets and curtains were all stained. We asked to be moved - we carted our luggage around all night till they found us another room - which had an adjoining room, with a small unsafe slide lock - our main door did not lock and there was no safe. This hotel says it has many things but when you get there, not so much - the a la carte dinners were gross. The only one good thing about this place was the guy who made pizza's, he was so friendly and great at his job - but he was only there a few days out of 7.

Honestly I am not trying to be mean, and I am not a fancy traveller - I have been to Cuba before only a couple years before and we had just a small comfortable room and small little things that made our stay feel safe and secure. This was absolutely unacceptable - we felt unsafe more often than not. Our Hola Sun rep. was a joke, and he actually made me feel very unsafe - for the rest of the week, we had very little sleep for fear someone would break into our room at night. Most of the trip we didn't have water in our room for showers or hand washing and we had to shower by the pool and wash our hands with bottle water we purchased.

If you are thinking this will be an okay vacation, nothing fancy think again - it will actually be your worst nightmare! Our second night there were contemplated trying to call out and get our problems solved but figured the really expensive call would get us no where as, there were very few other resorts in Santiago de Cuba! Never again will I book with Hola Sun and they have ruined my feelings on travel to Cuba all together.

Room Tip: If they suggest room 202, pack your bags and go!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

We arrived May14th with holasun. First time in cuba. Told in advance by tripadvisor people who frequent this resort that it would be closed and we would be bumped to another resort. I emailed the manager of the CACC and he confirmed they were closing the beginning of May. What a surprize when at the airport the holasun rep. piled us into a bus going to the CACC. There was a total of 34 people at the resort. It was for the most part closed-down. We all were in a building facing the entertainment stage....noisy. noisy.. and when asked to move it was not possible. The bars had no supplies, the restaurant were closed except for the buffet. The food was cold, limited and surrounded by flies and birds.............not very appealing! We ate while being surrounded and watched by 5 cats (meowing) and 3 dogs of which 2 were constantly giving us a sex education.
The beach was empty but beautiful but again no bars or restaurants were available at the beach.
The staff seemed in shock about the small number of guests and then we were all told we were to be moved on thursday the 17th. I was glad to move (even though this was a big disruption in a 7 day holiday) but it would have been nicer to have not come here at all!!! I felt like if this is cuba I will never come again. Luckily the Bucanero was a big improvement to the Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales. Will never return to this resort or book with holasun!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

The best and worst thing about this resort was that there was only 25 guest there when we were staying as it was only 2 weeks before they closed for the summer.

The fact it was empty meant that we got the beach to ourselves and effectively had a private bar man to get us nicely drunk. However, this also meant that the burger bar was only open for about 1 hour a day, and the restaurant was closed entirely. This left us to get food from the buffet which was rather poor.

The pool was very nice, plus it had a bar in it.

the room was ok, the AC was very noisy and the safe didn't work. Having said all this we had an excellent relaxing stay here

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Bayern, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

So happy to be every year in this Hotel.
Thanks again to all the people in the Hotel who works for, for a great time there.
You always do and try the best to spend a great time there, even its verry difficult with some really really difficult and stupid guests.
Many people forget that they are in a communistic country. For that they are not fair and sometimes unfriendly with the Managment in the Hotel
for exampel some people went to the desk and said that they are affraid about all the dogs and cats in the hotel. What happen, all cats and dogs where catched and killed.
Thanks to this stupid ones who where affraid about really really nice and friendly animals
The dogs and cats are more friendly than some of the guests
But now to my trip. I spend 6 weeks in the hotel and it was again a great time
I came back every year to have a big time out from my job.
People are always nice and friendly, food is enough and verry good, beach is small but verr nice and big enough to spend great time there.
Shows in the evening are nice and funny and all the bars make a great service.
Cant wait to be back soon.
Big thank you to all my friends there.
Also a big thank you to all the young people who where the first time in the Hotel this year and spend a geat time there. Hope they all will come back soon.
We need the younger people there to refresh.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed at this resort Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales and would say it is your average 3 star resort. I found the staff was very friendly and helpful at all times, the place was in good condition and was clean. I've been to Cuba before and I know what to expect, the food was ok not the greatest but I knew that before traveling. The beach was nice but a little bit too much coral, the weather was perfect for my whole trip. There was entertainment every night if not at our resort (Amigo Side) then the other resort (Carisol side). There was some damage done to the buildings on the Carisol side but that was because of the Hurricane that swept through that part of the country not long ago, so it was to be expected. My experience there was good and as long as you know what to expect before going there you should have a good time.

Room Tip: try to get a room away from the stage area where they have their nightly shows if you want some peac...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Greetings. Returned recently (last Week) from Santiago de Cuba. First time I actually returned 2 years back to back to the same resort, this should tell the story one, what I had for a vacation Last year. The precise day I left last year, a new Manager was taking over the Resort. This can be good, or bad. Unfortunately this was not a good thing. Managerial experience was poor, at best. Several small maintenance things that in the end added up to a rather large plate full. No water, no power for 2 days, they had been out for 3 days in a row (water) in total, so I should consider myself fortunate in that department I guess. Room not ready upon arrival, a/c not on, Fridge m/t and not plugged in, Toilet paper rack m/t and torn off wall on floor, Showerhead torn off wall and on floor, a stick holding the patio door shut, light bulbs missing etc. I was without hot water for 5 days after the water returned. (A pump had gone out, this was in any way the fault of the Resort). I asked the front desk 4 times about the hot water, got the "ask tomorrow" return, finally I found the power room and simply switched the breaker on. That did upset me off. Absolutely no need of this at all. They were given an (answered) 3 Week notice of arrival and simply were not prepared.
There are some good points here. The Staff (most) are first rate. From bar to Beach, good people. This resort was closed for a period of time last year in may until reopening in September, some Staff were off for 7 Months. The first Week there they did a Roast Pig in the ground near the Beach restaurant, absolutely incredible. Another evening a Roast Beef shoulder at the main Buffet, great. Music superb. Went into Santiago City (free transportation) on Monday's -was Saturday's last year. I would guess that there are currently 5 times the vendors from last year. This due to the 1.2 Million licenses issued, great for the Consumer as the competition is kept sharp and prices negotiable.

I understood that the Hotel is closing early May for the Summer period again this year. I also understand upon reopening that a new, Woman Manager is taking over. In my conversations with Staff, this was viewed as a very positive thing as she brings with here some Beach Hotel experience. Until I hear first hand of any positive changes, I will not return to this Hotel. I rated this Hotel last year at near a 4. I would rate in Cuban standards as a 2, no more.

Second Week I tried the Catamaran From the Hotel pick up to Santiago City, I very highly recommend this. Snorkeling, meal, trip into City and bus to Hotel -return. Very good trip. Superb 3 man crew to help everything all out. Book early as 10 souls are required and maximum of 35.

I saw something this year that I had not witnessed in a number of years. I feel this worthy of mention. If you've never Visited Cuba before, pay particular attention as this story it is the absolute example of how to do it wrong. A rather Obese woman from Ottawa had in a whirlwind packed and headed to Cuba (to avert an altercation between her Son who had visited in January, and a local girl). After finding out she was a Government Employee and expecting a red carpet typical career treatment, she got a rather huge dose of reality. She had left with a minimal amount of Canadian currency, expecting to use her Teller and Credit cards for any incidentals. No, absolutely not. She told everyone and anyone who would listen about how nothing was any good, could not wait to leave " never again" etc. In direct conversation, she was in at least 80% in the wrong and totally responsible for her own problems. Simply put, did not at all do her research. She had even traveled to Santiago City to a National Bank to sit in line and be told after an hour and a half that the Machine was broken, untrue. Her Visa attempting a cash advance was Citibank with a U-S affiliate. Grade one stuff. I am not trying to scare anyone here, these things are simply not available in Cuba. A small amount of preparation is needed. I had almost forgotten some of these things myself as I have traveled there many times and are automated. Beware, but have fun.

Cuba is a great Country full of wonderful people, fantastic weather, music and Tourist destinations. Business is done in a different manner in which we are accustomed. Trinidad next. The aforementioned review is of coarse my opinion(s). I feel it my duty to share. Have fun, enjoy. Cheers!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

Been to Club Amigo Carisol Los Corales? Share your experiences!