“Country ambiance within the City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Casona de San Jeronimo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiago de Cuba
La Casona de San Jeronimo
You added La Casona de San Jeronimo to your Saves list
San Jeronimo No. 571, Between Reloj and San Augustin, Santiago de Cuba 90100, Cuba   |
Manitoba
“Country ambiance within the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

This was my first trip to Cuba, and I really enjoyed my stay. Asela, the hostess, her friends and helpers made me feel at home. I stayed for two weeks, and had three meals per day.

One of my goals was to learn a little Spanish and experience Cuban culture. My stay at La Casa de San Jeronimo helped with these goals. Asela, the hostess, does not speak English, but has helpful people assisting who speak a variety of languages.

Santiago de Cuba is a hilly city set on a bay. When you leave the home, you can turn right and walk down the hill to the bay. From the back yard, you can see the beautiful Sierra Maestra mountains in the distance.

Threre is an inner courtyard with many tropical plants, including a lime tree. Behind the home, there are lovely gardens, including a guava tree and many banana plants. In the garden. I saw birds, including a hummingbird and goldfinch. There is a front and rear suite, both with self contained washrooms with showers. I stayed in the rear, which had a patio off the bedroom.

La Casa de San Jeronimo gave me a good feeling for Santiago de Cuba. I was provided with bottled water, and I remained healthy for my entire viist. Breakfasts consisted of fresh fruits, yogurt, bread, wonderful Cuban coffee and sometimes eggs. I had a special request for dry cereal, and the hostess made a special effort to find a bran cereal for me. Other meals included shrimp, pork, fish and a variety of tasty vegetable dishes, including an excellent eggplant dish. Another treat was a delicious okra soup.

Various friends and neighbours visited the home, and I was able to meet many people from Santiago de Cuba, some of whom joined us at meals.

An Argentinian woman also stayed in the other suite at the home for a few days when I was there. She was interested in seeing many sites, especially those in the historic section of town. She found the home very convenient for this as it is near, but not right in the noisy centre. Having said that, you can hear sounds such as roosters! Though conveniently located in the city, there is a semi-rural ambiance at La Casona de San Jeronimo.

It is a wonderful place from which to explore this fascinating old city. Just strolling the streets is an architectural treat. And the home is very close to museums and the music and dance action. The home is within the area featured in the maps of standard guide books.

Asela, the hostess, can help you with contacting a taxi, etc. Also, very handy in Santiago de Cuba, you can probalby have short term access to email if you ask Asela.

My bedroom and bathroom were very comfortable. After time spent walking on the hilly streets in the sunshine, it is refreshing to return to a shower, good meals and lush green vegetation.

If you contact La Casona de San Jeronimo in advance, I think they would be helpful in answering your questions about transportation, Spanish lessons, etc. They assisted me with transportation to and from the Santiago de Cuba airport.

If you want to try a Casa Particular in Santiago de Cuba, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Business

Been to La Casona de San Jeronimo? Share your experiences!