“Helpful staff but lousy place...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Islazul Hotel Camaguey

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Camaguey
Islazul Hotel Camaguey
Carretera Central Este, Km 4.5, Camaguey, Cuba   |
Ranked #5 of 7 hotels in Camaguey
London
“Helpful staff but lousy place...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Good:
- Very nice and helpful staff
- Er not
much else....

Bad:
- Super loud AC unit (kept us cool and well awake with varying sounds)
- Bugs in the room and dirty floors
- Smelly washrooms (urine stench)
- Pillows a little past prime (smelt like previous guests)
- Terrible beds (kept sinking in the middle -> backaches in the morning)
- We arrived late to the breakfast buffet the flies had been there for hours by the looks of it

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I have stayed there the first 2 nights of my arrival in Cuba.
One thing to consider is that I speak fluently spanish and this is the 3rd time I am visiting Cuba, I am more a backpacker than a lazy tourist, so it was the 1st time I was staying in a hotel in Cuba.
When I arrived to the hotel, first of all, it's quite far from the city centre, so if you stay many days, consider you will have to pay for transportation from the centre to the hotel, which could be at the end quite expensive.
Then, after a long travel by bus, I had been given a room, which I thought was fine...and the worse came after: 2 giant cockroachs (from the side of my hand, I swear)came out of the shower, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I asked for reception and they gave me instead the royal suite without any charge, which was better and without cockroachs.
Then, the second day I had a friend visiting me, he paid for his entrance to go to the swimming pool - it's 8 CUC but you can spend this money on the bar - fine. But after a while it was raining so we went upstairs at my room, and then the phone rang straight away, it was a lady saying ; Miss, you are not allowed to bring any one in your room.
Really pissed off, as if we were in a dictatorship, where every single movement is calculated....I remember I was on holidays so feeling quite bad.
I also need to mention I was with a cuban friend who stayed in another room on the same hotel.
Then the final touch was when going for breakfast (food is poor, I highly recommend anyone for tasty food and cheap food to go to the local market, much nicer), it's presented as a self service, and I found a grasshopper in the food! no kidding, I couldn't believe it.
After 2 exhausting days, I stayed in a casa where at least I had some peace.
Wouldn't recommend to anyone!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

It was a pretty nice hotel. Reception staff were really hospitable and although the facility doesn't have irons, one of the chambermaids was more than happy to iron our stuff for us which was good. She didn't ask for anything but tipped her generously for her trouble - she didn't need to do that for us.
Showering/bathing facilities in the room were good and clean and the view from the balcony was great - you could see locals going about their day and you get to see the real Cuba. I only stayed their several days before going on to santa lucia for the rest of my holiday but i would definetely go back. It had a nice cafe/bar inside the complex which we went to once and had a sandwich and drink. There is also a cadeca to change money within the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2008

This is a surprisingly charming hotel given that it looks like a giant concrete block with straight lines cut out of it. The rooms are clean and well presented. They have air con and there is a bar and nice pool area. The staff are very helpful and friendly and this is the exception in Cuba where many don't understand how to handle tourists. The bathroom has warm running water and towels supplied. The breakfast is not the most exciting but there is lots of variety. Also, many cubans also stay here which is a pleasant surprise and it is very good for families.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Distance from city centre
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for one night during a trip round Cuba.

The hotel seemed fine for the price but on the morning that we were leaving, they decided to fumigate the place without giving us any warning! The fumes were unbearable, I imagine quite dangerous and we couldn't see a thing on the way out of the hotel, as it was impossible to stay in there while this was happening. It was also extremely noisy over night, I think though in fairness, that there was the baseball final that night but in the morning there were loud banging noises starting at around 5am that continued into the late morning-perhaps that was due to the fumigation but we had no warning or apology for it.

Breakfast was very average and the rooms were basic but clean. I did like the layout of the hotel, I found it to be a little like a tropical hospital!

On the other hand, Camaguey is a lovely city with a really nice atmosphere and an artistic history. I would love to return there, perhaps not to that hotel but if there was no where else, I would go there, just to stay in Camagueyl.

• Liked — It was central in Camaguey
  • Disliked — no warning about the fumigation! breakfast not wonderful
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2004

Best pool area in town!,cheap rooms,food mostly pizza,burgers,nasty sandwiches.Suggest one bottle of havana club for day depending on how many people drinking!
Sometimes games,normally loud music good fun if busy!
Good place to hire car etc..
Cubans allowed in without a problem for the day
Caberet interesting - only one night a week think Friday?
thats it really - would just say good place for a few days if you need to be in Camaguey

Been to Islazul Hotel Camaguey? Share your experiences!